What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

horrie hastings

First Grade
I watched this when it first came out and spent the whole time wondering if I'd actually seen it before as it seemed so familiar.

Then I clicked that I had actually read the book it was based on.

Also has Jesse from Breaking Bad IIRC?

Yes i should have mentioned Arron Paul as he was one the 4 principal characters in the movie and he also was very good, i could really relate to his character. I recorded it off SBS ages ago mainly because Toni Collette was in it and finally got around to watching it the other night.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I watched this when it first came out and spent the whole time wondering if I'd actually seen it before as it seemed so familiar.

Then I clicked that I had actually read the book it was based on.

Also has Jesse from Breaking Bad IIRC?
I’ve read the book too, quite a few years back now, but I do remember that I enjoyed it. Never knew there was a filmed adaptation of it.

I watched 1917 the other night and found it a little underwhelming. Not sure if I went in with expectations too high or not but just the 2 spuds from me. I love period war movies too but the actual story was just so boring and uneventful. The last scene where he just continuously get redirected “he’s just down there” further down the trench evoked laughter as it was farcical.

Yes it looked good. I can see why it won the award for cinematography but what is the big deal about the “one shot, no cuts” style? Does it actually add anything to the viewing of the movie? I might be missing something but I didn’t think it added anything to the movie or story. Was it supposed to add “urgency” to the mission?

Anyway, 2 spuds. Wouldn’t watch again.

Dons Party.

One of those Australian films I’d heard of loads of times through the years as iconic, along with the play. Stumbled across it on Amazon prime and thought I’ll give it a go.

I honestly don’t know why (apart from “full frontal” nudity and sex scenes - racy for the day) it was seen as iconic. They even managed to get the (by the time of filming, ex..) prime minister John Gorton a cameo..

The story was basic and didn’t really go anywhere, and hardly “believable” (promiscuous husbands and wives going behind each other’s backs - that couldn’t have been more blatantly obvious), the acting was pretty wooden...

The only decent bits were seeing the women with their kit off.. so maybe in bawdy 70’s Australia this was considered classic cinema.

But again, and aside from some lovely cannons, for the life of me it’s such a boorish wooden movie that I can’t see how it’s been considered “an iconic” Australian movie.

PJ

First Grade
Sound of Metal. Pretty good story about a drummer losing his hearing. Story was OK but the acting, particularly Riz Ahmed, was great.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Poltergeist -1982.

A nice subtle blend of humour and terror. A suburban family have weird events happening inside their house and the youngest daughter is abducted but her voice can still be heard through the TV, they call in paranormal experts to investigate the disappearance of the daughter and the paranormal activity happening. There is a couple of unintentional laughs but the film is nicely paced with humour which sends up the American life style and some genuine terror and still holds up well after 38 years.

81yuQrgfhYL._SL1500_.jpg

horrie hastings

First Grade
Vibes- 1988

Comedy about two psychics who are hired to find a hidden temple in the mountains of Ecuador , this movie really is a shameless comedy version of some of the Indiana Jones movies with great performances by a deadpan Jeff Goldblum and an excellent Cyndi Lauper and also Peter Falk.

A great hour and a half escapism of total silliness and laughs, totally enjoyed it.

nöyd

Staff member
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot.

Worst movie ever made.

f**k you Kevin Smith.
somewhat annoying that Sandler keeps getting shit (granted his movies are pretty bad) for giving his mates a steady paycheck, but would anyone truly know who the f**k Jason Mewes was if it wasn't for this Jay and Silent Bob slop?

It was amusing in the 90's - Mallrats, Dogma, Chasing Amy, definitely Clerks - but shit just isn't funny anymore, I just feel sad for Mewes especially. These latest movies are either to maintain the cost of his drug habit or get him a set of false teeth, as the meth has obviously eaten his real ones.

Matua

Bench
somewhat annoying that Sandler keeps getting shit (granted his movies are pretty bad) for giving his mates a steady paycheck, but would anyone truly know who the f**k Jason Mewes was if it wasn't for this Jay and Silent Bob slop?

It was amusing in the 90's - Mallrats, Dogma, Chasing Amy, definitely Clerks - but shit just isn't funny anymore, I just feel sad for Mewes especially. These latest movies are either to maintain the cost of his drug habit or get him a set of false teeth, as the meth has obviously eaten his real ones.

Kevin smith "hey everyone look at me!! Im still culturally relevant!!! Guys!! Guys!!! Over here!!!"

Pile of shit
I think you're both wrong on the aspects on this outside the quality of his latest movie.

Smith is basically a podcaster who just makes stuff he wants to make, and a cursory listen to any of his podcasts would show that he's not trying to stay 'culturally relevant' with his films especially (otherwise Tusk wouldn't exist). He doesn't even distribute his films via studios these days, he just does roadshows and then releases them to digital.

Mewes has been clean for years and can sell out speaking shows by himself these days so no need to feel sad for him. He has a daughter and his wife is Smith's manager.

Jay and Silent Bob reboot was average, but Smith has never claimed it was anything more than trying to get lots of the old gang back together again and doing some fan service.

I think you're both wrong on the aspects on this outside the quality of his latest movie.

Smith is basically a podcaster who just makes stuff he wants to make, and a cursory listen to any of his podcasts would show that he's not trying to stay 'culturally relevant' with his films especially (otherwise Tusk wouldn't exist). He doesn't even distribute his films via studios these days, he just does roadshows and then releases them to digital.

Mewes has been clean for years and can sell out speaking shows by himself these days so no need to feel sad for him. He has a daughter and his wife is Smith's manager.

Jay and Silent Bob reboot was average, but Smith has never claimed it was anything more than trying to get lots of the old gang back together again and doing some fan service.

I was respecting your opinion until then.

azzah72

Bench
I finally got around to tenet.

As a Nolan fan, this was pretty average.

All concept, no story or characters.

The old story telling adage is good narrative is people making things happen, not things happening to them.

Tenet is things happening to people... Because reasons.

Some cool moments or whatever but I just can't get past the ultimately nonsensical first hour with boring characters and dialogue.

Sure it "makes sense" in the second half but it does get forgiven for being uninteresting.

Nolan was playing with his toys but forgot to show restraint and focus on good story and characters.

Had much better restraint in inception, interstellar etc.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Poltergeist -1982.

A nice subtle blend of humour and terror. A suburban family have weird events happening inside their house and the youngest daughter is abducted but her voice can still be heard through the TV, they call in paranormal experts to investigate the disappearance of the daughter and the paranormal activity happening. There is a couple of unintentional laughs but the film is nicely paced with humour which sends up the American life style and some genuine terror and still holds up well after 38 years.

View attachment 44915

Carol Anne don’t go into the light!

shiznit

Coach
I finally got around to tenet.

As a Nolan fan, this was pretty average.

All concept, no story or characters.

The old story telling adage is good narrative is people making things happen, not things happening to them.

Tenet is things happening to people... Because reasons.

Some cool moments or whatever but I just can't get past the ultimately nonsensical first hour with boring characters and dialogue.

Sure it "makes sense" in the second half but it does get forgiven for being uninteresting.

Nolan was playing with his toys but forgot to show restraint and focus on good story and characters.

Had much better restraint in inception, interstellar etc.

couldn’t agree with you anymore... 100% spot on.

I’m a huge Nolan fan also... this film felt like he was being too cute with his theme/concept.

I think his strength as a storyteller has always been his ability to straddle that line between each of his films distinct theme/concept but also keep it grounded in a way that it never feels like you’ve gone full sci-fi... when in reality the whole concept is usually completely nonsense so of course it’s sci-fi... but he always makes it believable... if that makes sense.

he kinda went a little out there with interstellar specifically towards the end but I think he managed to keep that on the rails.

this kinda felt out there from the very start and just kept going out there... but not in a clever way like inception where the story twisted as you went deeper...

This one you kinda got the mystery and it was more about the set pieces and camera trickery...

IMO anyway...

shiznit

Coach
WW84 - so disappointed...

really liked the first film and thought it was the best DC film since Nolan.

this was utter garbage... I actually think Patty Jenkins is a f**king great filmmaker... but I don’t know what the f**k this was.

The tone was odd... I could see she was trying to bring in shades of Donner’s Superman which considering the time period made some sense... but there’s better ways to give it that 80’s feel than making it camp as hell.

Taika Waititi’s Thor Ragnarok ran that 80’s theme much better by using visuals and clever use of synth in the score...

The story was a mess... in the end there was no real stakes... and Chris Pyne was really just used as a comedic plot device to play the fish out of water role...

the CGI was comical at times and I just don’t get what Jenkins was thinking.

she’s better than this garbage... atleast I thought she was...

WW84 - so disappointed...

really liked the first film and thought it was the best DC film since Nolan.

this was utter garbage... I actually think Patty Jenkins is a f**king great filmmaker... but I don’t know what the f**k this was.

The tone was odd... I could see she was trying to bring in shades of Donner’s Superman which considering the time period made some sense... but there’s better ways to give it that 80’s feel than making it camp as hell.

Taika Waititi’s Thor Ragnarok ran that 80’s theme much better by using visuals and clever use of synth in the score...

The story was a mess... in the end there was no real stakes... and Chris Pyne was really just used as a comedic plot device to play the fish out of water role...

the CGI was comical at times and I just don’t get what Jenkins was thinking.

she’s better than this garbage... atleast I thought she was...

Half in the bag do a good review of this movie and they also said it was a turd omelette.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Couple I’ve knocked out over on Netflix on my last few days of leave -

Mystic River - one of those movies I’d just never got around to watching, I wish I had of got to it sooner I understand why it was so awarded at the time now. Interesting premise and gritty setting, story keeps you interested throughout and superb acting especially from Sean Penn what a beast 8/10

Us - I really liked Get Out so was keen to watch this Peele follow up even though I was aware it had mixed reviews. Overall was pretty disappointing, it wasn’t a bad movie as such, good popcorn flick and worth a watch, but just coming off Get Out this felt really flat and some parts were just random and didn’t really make any sense 5.5/10

The Invitation - the Mrs picked this one, I’d never heard it so quickly googled it and was pleasantly surprised that it had pretty strong reviews on the platforms including 89% on RT... well let’s just say I have completely lost faith with any review sites, this was quite possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen, if I didn’t want to piss the Mrs off deluxe I would have turned it off after 20minutes. It was low budget so you don’t expect the world but some of the acting was robotic and laughable at times, in fairness though the script was so bad they didn’t have much to work with. So many things just straight up annoyed me watching this, I actually said hooray when it finally finished. 1/10 and the one point is for the fleeting second you see some bush.