What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Dont' Like Cricket, Oh No, I Love it, Yeah

Eelementary

Post Whore
I’d be inclined to agree if he were the best batsman in the world but he’d be lucky to be the 3rd best in his own team so clearly it’s not the definition of a Test cricket batsman. There’s a time and pitch for bunkering down. Day 3 at the SCG ain’t it

He's always hard to get out, and will fight tooth, and nail, to stay at the crease.

It ain't pretty, but it's effective.

Aside from Labuschagne, Smith, and maybe Pucovski (early days, but gee, he looks good), Australia doesn't have any bastmen who will play Test cricket like that.

Matt Renshaw put a high price on his wicket, but he's been apparently banished...

Eelementary

Post Whore
What he does works very well if either the guy at the other end is a little more inventive, or the bowling team have limited depth. And still works if the bowling team lose patience. Cummins has done an excellent job on him (and India). He's the best test fast bowler I've seen since Lillee. He doesn't move the ball that much but moves it a little either way and slams it into the pitch at decent pace or high pace (when necessary) with extreme accuracy, and can do so for 17 overs plus per day.

I think players like Pujara are excellent Test batsmen, because they win the psychological battles; it's very frustrating, as a bowler, to see a guy survive 20p deliveries, to score 50 runs.

If India hypothetically had Kohli at the crease on 20*, and Pujara at the crease on 20*, you just know that Kohli would be able to go nuts, and score big, as Pujara would wear down the attack.

As I said, it's not pretty, but it's very effective - Pujara's concentration, grit, and will to survive should be applauded, imo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He's always hard to get out, and will fight tooth, and nail, to stay at the crease.

It ain't pretty, but it's effective.

Aside from Labuschagne, Smith, and maybe Pucovski (early days, but gee, he looks good), Australia doesn't have any bastmen who will play Test cricket like that.

Matt Renshaw put a high price on his wicket, but he's been apparently banished...
Renshaw got Langered.

Same as Khawaja, but absolute planks like Wade continue to stink up the joint because he is a good bloke.

I think players like Pujara are excellent Test batsmen, because they win the psychological battles; it's very frustrating, as a bowler, to see a guy survive 20p deliveries, to score 50 runs.

If India hypothetically had Kohli at the crease on 20*, and Pujara at the crease on 20*, you just know that Kohli would be able to go nuts, and score big, as Pujara would wear down the attack.

As I said, it's not pretty, but it's very effective - Pujara's concentration, grit, and will to survive should be applauded, imo.

No disrespect to Steve Pujuara at all. He's a great player. Just saying that this particular circumstance is one in which his usual approach might need tweeking.

Eelogical

Referee
Renshaw got Langered.

Same as Khawaja, but absolute planks like Wade continue to stink up the joint because he is a good bloke.
Paine has been quite successful as captain. Dragged the team out of the SA cheating scandal even allowing for a bunch of DRL failures. He's also a decent keeper. Trouble is, he's not very good with the bat.