What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

We do have 1 less game at the moment also, plus they have longer games?
Stan Sport wasn't competing against Fox Sports when V'landys signed the deal. Fox Sports might have got a bit worried after losing the RU. They couldn't afford to lose another football code to a rival.

Billythekid

First Grade
It’s not hard to see all the reasons why the AFL would get more money right now.

-They rate higher
-Their games are longer
-it’s easier to squeeze ads into an AFL game
-They have a national reach
-They have an extra game a week

That plus their women’s game is showing far more growth potential. Right now it feels like a no brainer that they would get more.

Don’t get me wrong the NRL has some strategic advantages and has the potential to be the number 1 code again but right now that’s simply not the case. SOO is the only thing keeping our deals competitive.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s not hard to see all the reasons why the AFL would get more money right now.

-They rate higher
-Their games are longer
-it’s easier to squeeze ads into an AFL game
-They have a national reach
-They have an extra game a week

That plus their women’s game is showing far more growth potential. Right now it feels like a no brainer that they would get more.

Don’t get me wrong the NRL has some strategic advantages and has the potential to be the number 1 code again but right now that’s simply not the case. SOO is the only thing keeping our deals competitive.

a clear failure of our games management and lack of ability to match their growth

They rate higher - they didn’t use to
-Their games are longer - makes no difference really
-it’s easier to squeeze ads into an AFL game - makes no difference to pay tv
-They have a national reach - so should we
-They have an extra game a week - so should we

a clear failure of our games management and lack of ability to match their growth

News Ltd only wanted 14 teams in the NRL. Souths forced News Ltd into increasing the competition to 15 teams through legal action, which led to the creation of the Titans.

I am not convinced the networks want an extra game. Nine would want a second Brisbane team, but they would probably prefer it came at the expense of one of the existing clubs.

News Ltd did grow the game in Melbourne to some extent. Their investment in the Storm made RL a niche spectator sport in Victoria, which has added viewers to the game. They never wanted Adelaide and only added them in 97 to make a 10 team competition. Arthurson and Quayle gave the Reds no chance to succeed and it has caused enormous damage.

I am coming around to the idea of Perth as the 18th team. The infrastructure at the grassroots in Perth is strong enough to build a following. The work done by Force, WA Rugby and Twitty Forrest can be used to our advantage as we're the larger and more cashed up of the two codes.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Man you need to be a little more forgiving of the current admin in regards to expansion. AFL weren't gutted and then held hostage by Murdoch for 15yrs. We only wrestled back control of our game 8yrs ago.

You cant be serious about this? Not only is it more content but also has a guaranteed 32 minute break in every game. And they have teams in every metro market. You know Fox get paid for all those Bundaberg and SportsBet ads on NRL games on Fox right?

I didn't think they would get so much tbh. But I'm an armchair expert lol. Maybe the flip flop FTA arrangement they have with Seven will change in 23/24? I know it's been reported that Kayo doesn't have to carry Sevens ads on simulcast on the new deal.

Man you need to be a little more forgiving of the current admin in regards to expansion. AFL weren't gutted and then held hostage by Murdoch for 15yrs. We only wrestled back control of our game 8yrs ago.

You cant be serious about this? Not only is it more content but also has a guaranteed 32 minute break in every game. And they have teams in every metro market. You know Fox get paid for all those Bundaberg and SportsBet ads on NRL games on Fox right?

I didn't think they would get so much tbh. But I'm an armchair expert lol. Maybe the flip flop FTA arrangement they have with Seven will change in 23/24? I know it's been reported that Kayo doesn't have to carry Sevens ads on simulcast on the new deal.
Stan Sport entering the market and gobbling up RU probably forced Foxtel's hand. It doesn't surprise me that this deal wasn't announced before Stan Sport entered the market, as Foxtel held all the cards. When V'landys signed with Foxtel there was no Stan Sport and no sign of anything like it entering the market.

Once again we've been f**ked over by Ch9. They could have launched Stan Sport back in March/April and made a bid for every NRL match, but chose to sit by and let Foxtel secure the rights until 2027. They care more about RU and fumbleball than RL. It wouldn't surprise me if Ch9 make a bid for the AwFuL rights when they're up for tender.

You are kidding about ads on Fox .
There's plenty

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are kidding about ads on Fox .
There's plenty

not during play, the vast majority their revenue is from subscriptions. That’s about popularity and we know nrl is their highest rating sport therefore is the sport driving bigger subscriptions. Can’t blame smith this time lol.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
News Ltd only wanted 14 teams in the NRL. Souths forced News Ltd into increasing the competition to 15 teams through legal action, which led to the creation of the Titans.

I am not convinced the networks want an extra game. Nine would want a second Brisbane team, but they would probably prefer it came at the expense of one of the existing clubs.

News Ltd did grow the game in Melbourne to some extent. Their investment in the Storm made RL a niche spectator sport in Victoria, which has added viewers to the game. They never wanted Adelaide and only added them in 97 to make a 10 team competition. Arthurson and Quayle gave the Reds no chance to succeed and it has caused enormous damage.

I am coming around to the idea of Perth as the 18th team. The infrastructure at the grassroots in Perth is strong enough to build a following. The work done by Force, WA Rugby and Twitty Forrest can be used to our advantage as we're the larger and more cashed up of the two codes.

They only wanted melbourne because they could attract national sponsors with melbourne.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Stan Sport entering the market and gobbling up RU probably forced Foxtel's hand. It doesn't surprise me that this deal wasn't announced before Stan Sport entered the market, as Foxtel held all the cards. When V'landys signed with Foxtel there was no Stan Sport and no sign of anything like it entering the market.

Once again we've been f**ked over by Ch9. They could have launched Stan Sport back in March/April and made a bid for every NRL match, but chose to sit by and let Foxtel secure the rights until 2027. They care more about RU and fumbleball than RL. It wouldn't surprise me if Ch9 make a bid for the AwFuL rights when they're up for tender.

True...because nine will have nothing...and we will be forced to pay for our rugby league...

Perth Red

Post Whore
More details of the afl deal for for comparison; if we ever learn what our revised deal is
Original deal to end of 22 was for $418mill a year

20-22
seven 20-22 19% reduction on current deal
Approx $121.5mill a year

Fox $30 mill a year reduction
Approx $186mill a year

telstra deal unchanged @$50mill a year

this takes the 20-22 part of the existing deal to around
$357.5mill a year
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-secures-revised-broadcast-deal-20200611-p551nc.html

extension 23&24 $946mill
Total $473mill a year (inc contra) avg per year
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/8d303ac9ec440e2ab3f06f6d0f016d1b

This gives them a total 5 year deal 20-24 of $2.19Billion or an avg of $403.7mill a year (an annual reduction of around 3.5% on the 18-24 deal)

With nrl extending fox to 2027 it once again puts the two comps tv contracts at different negotiating times which could be interesting in years to come.

colly

Juniors
When you told us that Mclacklan signed Seven to paying $146 per year, when it's only 121m, MMMmmmmmmmm.

Perth Red quote
"The $146mill a year includes contra. How much we dont know. A lot of the savings for Seven and Nine are in reduced production spending.
The fact is the AFL has a 5 year deal of $146mill inc contra for FTA compared to the $150mill inc contra annual deal they had pre covid.
Unless of course the CEO has gone on public record with a lie but that is highly unlikely!"

Last edited:
When you told us that Mclacklan signed Seven to paying $146 per year, when it's only 115m, MMMmmmmmmmm.

Perth Red quote
"The $146mill a year includes contra. How much we dont know. A lot of the savings for Seven and Nine are in reduced production spending.
The fact is the AFL has a 5 year deal of $146mill inc contra for FTA compared to the $150mill inc contra annual deal they had pre covid.
Unless of course the CEO has gone on public record with a lie but that is highly unlikely!"
The Afl lover will never let the truth get in the way of a RL/PVL rant .

PVL did the best he could under the circumstances. Fumbleball benefitted from Stan Sport entering the market and snagging the RU rights away from Foxtel. There was no Stan Sport when PVL signed the deal and no one knew it would ever come about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When you told us that Mclacklan signed Seven to paying $146 per year, when it's only 121m, MMMmmmmmmmm.

Perth Red quote

that’s why I update the thread as new info comes out! Not to mention the $121.5 mill is for 20-22 and does not include the value of 23&24 as we don’t know what that seven/fox/telstra split is yet. The 23/24 deal is worth $116mill. more a year than 20-22 so fair to assume seven is picking up a big part of that tab.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
PVL did the best he could under the circumstances. Fumbleball benefitted from Stan Sport entering the market and snagging the RU rights away from Foxtel. There was no Stan Sport when PVL signed the deal and no one knew it would ever come about.

timing is everything! Selling early isn’t always the best decision.

timing is everything! Selling early isn’t always the best decision.
Didn't the game need money?

We don't have any physical assets.

AwFuL has a stadium and took out a massive loan if my memory is correct. All of that will have to be paid back. They spent a fortune running the competition in Queensland.

We made money from Origin III.