What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

blue bags

First Grade
OK I will answer your challenge. which will not go unresponded. Shouldn't have to but you opened a hornet's nest.
For a start I'v e been following the Sharks for decades, during which time they nearly went broke on 3 occasions.Every home game mate,I;d suggest well ebfeore you sucked up your first oxygen..

I put in $200 of my own cash and (I ATT was hardly loaded )many years ago to help them, they put up plaques on a wall for people who donated. I've been a member(season ticket holder) for the vast majority of those decades.I've sat in the old Burns Stand when it's been p*ssing down rain and blowing gales with my daughter ,then my father -in-law.
For years I paid the season seating for my father in law as a present.

I've spend a fortune on merchandise year after year.I have taken my family time after time to the Leagues club bistro when it was new and run down, to help.

The team has its own ground, owned by them.The commonsense approach would be for the Govt to spend on that ground, with a fair amount of infrastructure in place ,but it won't happen.The club has a much better opportunity to make itself financially strong at Shark Park(no rent for starters),than Jubilee.
My suggestion would be:-
Wollongong new stadium
Brookvale new stadium
Liverpool new stadium
Campbelltown new stadium
Let the Sharks develop their own

To suggest I'm not a dedicated fan ,is like me suggesting to you driving 150kms is nothing. It's insulting and utter tosh to put it broadly.I applaud people who travel long distances, but I have family to consider.And getting 4 people to watch a game is I suggest better , than getting only one(namely me).

Oh and I have continued to go week after week even when they were hopeless or way down the ladder.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...ale-into-a-mini-bankwest-20201016-p565tp.html

Manly chairman Scott Penn has called for the state government to redirect its funding focus towards suburban grounds, starting with the transformation of his NRL club's home stadium at Brookvale into a "mini Bankwest".

The first step in upgrading Lottoland began on Friday when construction began on a $33.1 million centre of excellence and northern grandstand. An additional 3000 seats will be added to the venue with a view to having the project completed in time for the start of the 2022 NRL season.

"It's about working with government to ensure we achieve their outcomes and ours."

The master plan for the COE and additional 3000 seats is structured in a way that would allow for a total stadium rebuild in the future without affecting the initial upgrades. ADCO Constructions will build the initial project.

"It's going to be great," said Sea Eagles backrower Jake Trbojevic.

Advertisement
"Obviously we love playing here. Me and [brother] Tom grew up playing here, so it's really special.

"To have this facility here with another 3000 seats in the stadium is extremely exciting.

"It's a ground that has a lot of character. When you get a decent crowd here, it's very special to play here. With this facility and the grandstand [coming], we're really excited."

Sport newsletter
Sports news, results and expert commentary delivered straight to your inbox each weekday. Sign up here.

License this article
e96bb1894842377bd446b06367bcc490ecef25b8

Adrian Proszenko
Adrian Proszenko is the Chief Rugby League Reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald.

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-29_13-59-47.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-29_13-59-47.jpeg
    1.4 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2020-10-29_13-59-47.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-29_13-59-47.jpeg
    918 bytes · Views: 7
If you were to add 2 SE Qld clubs to bring it up to an even 18 team NRL competition with no bye rounds.
1 Brisbane Jagera Firehawks (Langlands Park) to play out of Suncorp Stadium with maybe a couple of home matches played at Ipswich. If anyone is wondering, Jagera Country encompasses the whole greater Brisbane region, including Ipswich.
2 Moreton Bay Dolphins to train out of their home base of Dolphin Oval at Redcliffe, with maybe a 7/5 split ? with home matches between Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast.
It gives good balance to derby matches in the SE corner (4 teams) + the Nth Queensland Cowboys.
No Sydney based teams need to relocate, and Chanel 9 would be happy with the target audience. The only thing is, the QLD government (or private equity) would probably need to fund an upgrade at Dolphin Oval from a boutique Stadium to a bigger Modern standard suburban NRL stadium, somewhat equivalent to the proposed NRL suburban stadium upgrades in Sydney.
At this stage though, it’s more likely only one expansion team will happen.

If you were to add 2 SE Qld clubs to bring it up to an even 18 team NRL competition with no bye rounds.
1 Brisbane Jagera Firehawks (Langlands Park) to play out of Suncorp Stadium with maybe a couple of home matches played at Ipswich. If anyone is wondering, Jagera Country encompasses the whole greater Brisbane region, including Ipswich.
2 Moreton Bay Dolphins to train out of their home base of Dolphin Oval at Redcliffe, with maybe a 7/5 split ? with home matches between Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast.
It gives good balance to derby matches in the SE corner (4 teams) + the Nth Queensland Cowboys.
No Sydney based teams need to relocate, and Chanel 9 would be happy with the target audience. The only thing is, the QLD government (or private equity) would probably need to fund an upgrade at Dolphin Oval from a boutique Stadium to a bigger Modern standard suburban NRL stadium, somewhat equivalent to the proposed NRL suburban stadium upgrades in Sydney.
I reckon Moreton Bay Dolphins and Brisbane Firehawks is the best way to go, although I've come around to thinking West Coast Pirates need to be in the league too. Ideally a couple of struggling Sydney teams will merge to to provide room for the Dolphins, Firehawks and Pirates.

flippikat

Bench
Can Brisbane/SE Qld accommodate 2 new NRL teams coming in at the same time?

It'd be an expansion like no other- whenever expansion has happened in previous cases, it's always been 2 (or 4) different markets completely.

It'd be an expansion like no other- whenever expansion has happened in previous cases, it's always been 2 (or 4) different markets completely.
It could be too much too soon for Brisbane. The only way I can see it working is if they upgrade Dolphin Stadium to 25k and have Firehawks play out of Lang Park. It would be better to have Firehawks and Pirates enter in 2023 and the Dolphins make their way in around 2028 with a couple of Sydney clubs merging. Manly and Roosters could become the Sydney Sea Eagles.

Perth Red

Post Whore

let’s see if SE qnlnd can support one more team, track record isn’t great, before considering a 4th one!

flippikat

Bench
It could be too much too soon for Brisbane. The only way I can see it working is if they upgrade Dolphin Stadium to 25k and have Firehawks play out of Lang Park. It would be better to have Firehawks and Pirates enter in 2023 and the Dolphins make their way in around 2028 with a couple of Sydney clubs merging. Manly and Roosters could become the Sydney Sea Eagles.

Yeah, you outline a good scenario there. Firehawks & Pirates have really good cases IMO, and they'd be my picks for 17 & 18.

Then the NRL hits a crisis point. There's still plenty of viable & desirable expansion options, but the leap to 20 or more clubs is a serious test of player and coaching depth. Sure, depth can be grown.. but that could take years, if not decades while those markets remain untapped. It all comes back to the key question - what is the optimal Sydney footprint in a trans-Tasman competition?

MugaB

Coach
Yeah, you outline a good scenario there. Firehawks & Pirates have really good cases IMO, and they'd be my picks for 17 & 18.

Then the NRL hits a crisis point. There's still plenty of viable & desirable expansion options, but the leap to 20 or more clubs is a serious test of player and coaching depth. Sure, depth can be grown.. but that could take years, if not decades while those markets remain untapped. It all comes back to the key question - what is the optimal Sydney footprint in a trans-Tasman competition?
Who cares about depth when the roosters or storm will still dominate grand finals the way it is now, why not tap into another 4 areas and start growing for the future, the longer expansion gets put off the worse it will get to grow in areas like Adelaide, Perth or Christchurch

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the talent is evenly spread and the quality drops say 10%, although how you measure that I have no idea, then it’s really not a problem. I mean look at all the players and money in the game now and people say the quality is lower than 30 years ago! Not sure talent depth is the real issue when it comes to quality of games tbh.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's still to small.

If new teams in Brisbane are going to survive they'll have to at least have the public perception that they are competing with the Broncos, otherwise sooner or later the Broncos will swamp them out of the market. To do that they'll have to be at least threating to average 30k a week (i.e. 25k+ average), and if you've got a 25k stadium that makes that very hard.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the talent is evenly spread and the quality drops say 10%, although how you measure that I have no idea, then it’s really not a problem. I mean look at all the players and money in the game now and people say the quality is lower than 30 years ago! Not sure talent depth is the real issue when it comes to quality of games tbh.
In certain positions talent depth is definitely a problem, and there certainly was more depth in some of those positions 30 years ago than there is now, however there was also less depth is other positions back then then there is now as well.
I also agree that talent isn't the real issue when it comes to the drop in quality of the sport.

All in all the lack of depth argument is a joke though. I can't see how people can seriously argue that there's not enough depth for expansion when the NRL exports the better part of a starting lineup of players to SL and RU each year and you have a bunch of players whom can't crack first grade at some clubs that would be star players at others.

The problem isn't a lack of talent, it's the way it's spread, but nobody power wants to turn that rock because they are afraid of what they'll find...

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Who cares about depth when the roosters or storm will still dominate grand finals the way it is now, why not tap into another 4 areas and start growing for the future, the longer expansion gets put off the worse it will get to grow in areas like Adelaide, Perth or Christchurch
Because it'd be an utter shit show unless certain steps where taken to make sure that the clubs where competitive from day one both financially and on the pitch.

The NRL would really need to dot their I's and cross their T's to make sure that each new club had a good financial base, then on top of that they'd need to institute things like the acquisition of star players for each club, an expansion draft on top of that, guaranteed broadcasting slots, etc, and they'd need the current clubs, the RLPA, and broadcasters to consent in that process and take it seriously, which would almost certainly be impossible to pull off in the NRL lol.

If they didn't do things like the above then there'd be too much competition for players on the market at the same time and you'd end up with a bunch of crap clubs that struggle to make an impact for years to come because all the best players are tied up in contracts with the current clubs, which would have knock on effects that are unnecessary risks .

Basically you'd have all the same problems that you had the last time RL expanded by 4 clubs, and that the NHL had when they expanded by 6 in 67, which should be avoided if possible.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

I don't see it happening. The uproar from The Broncos and Titans would be huge. Despite League being the dominant code in SEQLD I am not sure there is demand for another 2 NRL clubs in the region yet. It would cannibalize every other club in the comp, especially the existing QLD ones and Storm. Just about every team in the NRL has a solid supporter base in QLD though. I was staggered at the amount of Raiders fans at the prelim final last year.

Player depth took a hit when the game went fully professional during the mid 90s and introduced the 10 metre rule and unlimited interchange system in the early 90s. It allowed the forwards to bulk up to a size that most people cannot reach, pushing a lot of the smaller players out of the game. Having bigger blokes running at each other from 10 metres made the collisions more dangerous. The crafty little blokes were bashed out of the game and now there's less ball players and it's mostly a boring one pass off the ruck hit up vs wrestling contest.

Bring back the replacement rule so that once a player goes off, he cannot come back on. That'll bring fatigue back into the game and force the middle forwards to trim down so they can play more minutes. Little crafty blokes will be able to run rings around the middles as fatigue sets in.

flippikat

Bench
I don't see it happening. The uproar from The Broncos and Titans would be huge. Despite League being the dominant code in SEQLD I am not sure there is demand for another 2 NRL clubs in the region yet. It would cannibalize every other club in the comp, especially the existing QLD ones and Storm. Just about every team in the NRL has a solid supporter base in QLD though. I was staggered at the amount of Raiders fans at the prelim final last year.

The only sports league I can think of recently that plonked 2 teams into the same market virtually simultaneously is the NFL - putting the Chargers and Rams both into LA. That was pretty exceptional circumstances in that LA had no NFL teams for a long time, then all of a sudden 2 teams relocate there.. kinda like waiting 40 minutes for a bus, then 2 arrive at the same time, with the same route number.

The Broncos are shite enough as it is. Imagine if they were the third best team in Brisbane and the 5th best team in Queensland. Kevvy and his mates would spew their guts. No way will the Broncos allow another team in Brisbane to show them up.

The Broncos are shite enough as it is. Imagine if they were the third best team in Brisbane and the 5th best team in Queensland. Kevvy and his mates would spew their guts. No way will the Broncos allow another team in Brisbane to show them up.

Also, common sense will stop a 3rd team being entered into the NRL.

Latest posts