What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Ivan Cleary the new Brian Smith?

TheDalek079

Bench
14 seasons coaching, at three clubs (one club two twice!). Made two grand finals. Yet he still hasn't won a premiership. Also played for 11 seasons as a player and never won one either.

Is he the new Brian Smith?

Diesel

Coach
It will be interesting to see how the Panthers go this year, they’re losing a number of players and Trent the muppet Barrett will try to weasel a few players away from the Panthers. Ivan’s got a massive challenge this year as many teams that lose a GF, don’t do as well the following year.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
He ain’t no Brian smith

Smithy may have his critics as to the way he communicated but as a tactician he was brilliant. His skills into communicating his ideas and how to well may be they were a bit to deal with for a rugby league player.
He got those dragons sides to a few GF where they had no right to be.
Tallis always says although he has a dislike for him he rated him the best coach he has had. His only other coach was Bennet.

Bob

Juniors
What you forgot to mention about Ivan is he had to clean up messes left behind by master coaches Bluey McClennan, Matt Elliott and Jason “Kung Fool” Taylor

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
He ain’t no Brian smith

Smithy may have his critics as to the way he communicated but as a tactician he was brilliant. His skills into communicating his ideas and how to well may be they were a bit to deal with for a rugby league player.
He got those dragons sides to a few GF where they had no right to be.
Tallis always says although he has a dislike for him he rated him the best coach he has had. His only other coach was Bennet.

I agree with your comments on Smith.
Ivan ain't no master tactician. He is bog average with tactics. I don't think his coaching is good enough to win a premiership. They blew a golden opportunity last year. It didn't help that he got too cute with team selections in the QF and GF. Got away with May at centre v Souths but not against Melbourne.
Penrith were a different team in the finals compared to the regular season. Maybe their preparation could have been better.
His record prior to last season with attack was always mediocre.
It will be very interesting how Penrith go this season without Garden furniture boy running the attack.

Exsilium

First Grade
He wont win us a premiership and I'm not convinced last year was the start of any "era".

If anything, I think Hook, Gus and several other factors led to last years success but I am sure plenty will poo poo that idea.

SBD82

Coach
I agree with your comments on Smith.
Ivan ain't no master tactician. He is bog average with tactics. I don't think his coaching is good enough to win a premiership. They blew a golden opportunity last year. It didn't help that he got too cute with team selections in the QF and GF. Got away with May at centre v Souths but not against Melbourne.
Penrith were a different team in the finals compared to the regular season. Maybe their preparation could have been better.
His record prior to last season with attack was always mediocre.
It will be very interesting how Penrith go this season without Garden furniture boy running the attack.
It’s disgraceful and unfair that you refer to Barrett as “garden furniture boy”.

Doing push-ups on the table in his underwear at a trashy pub is far more iconic.

The_Frog

First Grade
He wont win us a premiership and I'm not convinced last year was the start of any "era".

If anything, I think Hook, Gus and several other factors led to last years success but I am sure plenty will poo poo that idea.
They played a part, no doubt.

The_Frog

First Grade
Got away with May at centre v Souths but not against Melbourne.
Ivan panicked before the PF and got away with it with May, who played quite well, even though he is not a centre at this level. But the Storm targeted him in the big one. Naden might have been targeted as well, but he has attacking abilities while May is more the ball player. It is a fair point that Ivan showed his weakness by doing this in the PF. You've got to have these things worked out by the end of the regular season. Trouble with not facing a strong opponent for so long.

Latest posts