What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Ivan Cleary the new Brian Smith?

Blues Riff

Bench
14 seasons coaching, at three clubs (one club two twice!). Made two grand finals. Yet he still hasn't won a premiership. Also played for 11 seasons as a player and never won one either.

Is he the new Brian Smith?
Ha. Insecure Rooster fan logs on for the year, his first thought - troll Penrith.
The real question should be- "Is TheDalek079 the new Rhyno?"
Or maybe- ''Will Mrs Madge Silverdale learn a new word this year?

Last edited:
They didn't deem to be as friendly or as happy when they lost the Grand final last year.

seemed to me like the Father blamed the son

And the son blamed the son as well

at least they agreed on one thing!

ACTPanthers

Bench

ACTPanthers

Bench
that's right, Nathan's season of losing wasn't finished with the Grand Final debacle, he also chocked in the State of Origin as well.

And Ivan also revealed how he knew Nathan would not cope with "the biggest test of his career" as soon as he watched the Blues' opening defensive set in Origin III.

Another game, another loss.

Andrew Johns was the highest-profile critic of Nathan Cleary and his ability to choke.

"The more thought I give it, the more I'd like to see how Keary and Cody [Walker] would go," Andrew Johns said. "More experience and Nathan's had a long year. He's young as a halfback at club level but, in terms of Origin, he's a baby. This is the next development for Nathan as a halfback: create under pressure, under fatigue, with his team on the back foot."

Andrew Johns is right, Nathan is a soft front runner and chokes under pressure.

Ivan however, has gone through more clubs than John Daly hitting a 95.
tenor.gif

GongPanther

Referee

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
What you forgot to mention about Ivan is he had to clean up messes left behind by master coaches Bluey McClennan, Matt Elliott and Jason “Kung Fool” Taylor

Bluey was the coach after Ivan, Tony 'I would be the worst coach in NRL history but Paul Langmack is a guy' Kemp was before Ivan.

Latest posts