What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

colly

Juniors
not sure how you read it that way, in the afl releases it says Telstra re increasing their sponsorship investment and have:

“Telstra, which will continue to have highlight, replay and on-demand rights, will also become the official technology and innovation partner of Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium for the next four years.”

I read it he was talking about fox getting Telstra money, not afl. with telstra not paying fox, fox won’t be passing some of that on to nrl is how I read it. Smith didn’t negotiate the foxtel/telstra deal, that was grant and Greenberg.

their new two year extension part of the deal breaks down to approx (on what I’ve seen in the press)

seven $150mill
Telstra $110mill
Fox $213mill

I have looked, Where is Telstra 110 million per year deal. Looked in https://www.afl.com.au/news/539223/statement-afl-extends-broadcast-rights-deal-with-foxtel-telstra
Not their?
To use your saying I will eat my hat- if you show me in a press release Telstra paying $110 million per year CASH.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have looked, Where is Telstra 110 million per year deal. Looked in https://www.afl.com.au/news/539223/statement-afl-extends-broadcast-rights-deal-with-foxtel-telstra
Not their?
To use your saying I will eat my hat- if you show me in a press release Telstra paying $110 million per year CASH.

There isnt that detail yet. The AFR had Telstra paying $100mill a year in last deal. I am guessing that if their “investment has increased” it would be around a 10% increase but just a guess based on overall figure and what seven are paying and what fox and Telstra split was last time.

all we know for fact is they got an extension for two years worth $946mill from their current partners and seven are paying “just under” $300mill of that. That leaves $646mill between foxtel and Telstra.

$473mill a year (their last pre covid deal was $416mill a year), the bar is set, let’s see how close vlandys can get to it.

this is what telstra have got out of the extension

• Telstra continues its partnership through the 2023 and 2024 seasons, with highlight, replay and on demand rights while increasing their investment in sponsorship assets.
  • Telstra will become Marvel Stadium's official technology and innovation partner over the next four years, ensuring the revamped Marvel Stadium offers supporters the best digital experience of any stadium or entertainment venue in the country and ensuring supporters have the technology to connect them to the game they love.
  • Telstra technology and connectivity will be deployed at Marvel over the next few years including fixed and 4G/5G networks upgrades, Artificial Intelligence, and mixed reality and edge computing. From booking a seat to parking to engaging with the game, attendees will soon be able to experience a new stadium experience before, during, and after they attend the game.
  • Telstra will also expand its visual sponsorship elements such as on-field Telstra 5G signage, and continue the development of the AFL's digital assets such as AFL.com.au, club websites and the AFL Official LIVE App. The updated sponsorship also deepens Telstra's connections to AFL Clubs and extends the agreement with the AFL Players Association that engages all listed players as ambassadors for use in social marketing campaigns and other initiatives.

• mean while in nrl land
  • https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-strategy-after-nrl-snub-20200614-p552dy.html

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
There isnt that detail yet. The AFR had Telstra paying $100mill a year in last deal. I am guessing that if their “investment has increased” it would be around a 10% increase but just a guess based on overall figure and what seven are paying and what fox and Telstra split was last time.

all we know for fact is they got an extension for two years worth $946mill from their current partners and seven are paying “just under” $300mill of that. That leaves $646mill between foxtel and Telstra.

$473mill a year (their last pre covid deal was $416mill a year), the bar is set, let’s see how close vlandys can get to it.

this is what telstra have got out of the extension

• Telstra continues its partnership through the 2023 and 2024 seasons, with highlight, replay and on demand rights while increasing their investment in sponsorship assets.
  • Telstra will become Marvel Stadium's official technology and innovation partner over the next four years, ensuring the revamped Marvel Stadium offers supporters the best digital experience of any stadium or entertainment venue in the country and ensuring supporters have the technology to connect them to the game they love.
  • Telstra technology and connectivity will be deployed at Marvel over the next few years including fixed and 4G/5G networks upgrades, Artificial Intelligence, and mixed reality and edge computing. From booking a seat to parking to engaging with the game, attendees will soon be able to experience a new stadium experience before, during, and after they attend the game.
  • Telstra will also expand its visual sponsorship elements such as on-field Telstra 5G signage, and continue the development of the AFL's digital assets such as AFL.com.au, club websites and the AFL Official LIVE App. The updated sponsorship also deepens Telstra's connections to AFL Clubs and extends the agreement with the AFL Players Association that engages all listed players as ambassadors for use in social marketing campaigns and other initiatives.

• mean while in nrl land
  • https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-strategy-after-nrl-snub-20200614-p552dy.html
Telstra only paid the AFL $50 million per year, for a total of 300 million. It was over 6 years also, so they paid 50m.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/afl-to-announce-2b-broadcast-deal-20150818-gj1ppz.html
Telstra will pay about $300 million of the record deal over the six years, and broadcast AFL matches over its planned Telstra TV service and to handsets and digital devices, while Seven will pay $840 million in cash and $60 million in contra.

So what you saying is Telstra is paying 1/2 a billion dollars cash for handheld streaming, again you state Telstra is paying 500 million dollars for streaming - your kidding me, especially as I have show that the old deal " 300m or 50m per year which they made a saving of 30m in the existing deal.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...adcast-deal-by-two-years-20201223-p56prx.html
Industry sources said Foxtel, which is owned by News Corp and Telstra, saved $30 million on its existing deal (to 2022) back in June.

colly

Juniors
The final point now that I considered it, is this. The $ 946 million dollar cash only deal headline is pure bullshit. Their is no way they can make that work financially or mathematically. ( remember seven are only paying now 121m for the remainder) Notice also it is press release not a legally binding announcement like a notice to shareholders and others have pointed out McLachlan has been loose with truth.before. The $946 million dollar cash
( for two years) has so much padding ( like contra) it should be sold by the 'sleep doctor'. It's pure fiction to say they getting 946m cash, hell we don't know who OR what Telstra are paying- all they mention is marvel. So I marvel at this dribble.

Last edited:
Mate you're wasting your time trying to debate someone who is so one sided .
Anything AFL house say is gospel .
Anything PVL says is bullshit.
As I said above he has PVL guilty without anything factual to back up his rants .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Telstra only paid the AFL $50 million per year, for a total of 300 million. It was over 6 years also, so they paid 50m.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/afl-to-announce-2b-broadcast-deal-20150818-gj1ppz.html
Telstra will pay about $300 million of the record deal over the six years, and broadcast AFL matches over its planned Telstra TV service and to handsets and digital devices, while Seven will pay $840 million in cash and $60 million in contra.

So what you saying is Telstra is paying 1/2 a billion dollars cash for handheld streaming, again you state Telstra is paying 500 million dollars for streaming - your kidding me, especially as I have show that the old deal " 300m or 50m per year which they made a saving of 30m in the existing deal.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...adcast-deal-by-two-years-20201223-p56prx.html
Industry sources said Foxtel, which is owned by News Corp and Telstra, saved $30 million on its existing deal (to 2022) back in June.

My mistake. Yes it is $50mill a year last deal.

based on that revised figures for afl deal 23-24 per year (cash and contra)

FTA $150mill
Telstra $50mill
Fox $273mill

afl reductions for 20-22
Telstra no reduction
Seven $29mill a year
Fox $30mill a year
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/afl-reduced-seven-foxtel-broadcast-righs-deals-coronavirus

it’s a shame there isn’t such transparency from the nrl and it’s partners. What are they hiding?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The final point now that I considered it, is this. The $ 946 million dollar cash only deal headline is pure bullshit. Their is no way they can make that work financially or mathematically. ( remember seven are only paying now 121m for the remainder) Notice also it is press release not a legally binding announcement like a notice to shareholders and others have pointed out McLachlan has been loose with truth.before. The $946 million dollar cash
( for two years) has so much padding ( like contra) it should be sold by the 'sleep doctor'. It's pure fiction to say they getting 946m cash, hell we don't know who OR what Telstra are paying- all they mention is marvel. So I marvel at this dribble.

no one has said it’s all cash, contra has traditionally been around 5-8% in both codes.

colly

Juniors
not sure how you read it that way, in the afl releases it says Telstra re increasing their sponsorship investment and have:

“Telstra, which will continue to have highlight, replay and on-demand rights, will also become the official technology and innovation partner of Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium for the next four years.”

I read it he was talking about fox getting Telstra money, not afl. with telstra not paying fox, fox won’t be passing some of that on to nrl is how I read it. Smith didn’t negotiate the foxtel/telstra deal, that was grant and Greenberg.

their new two year extension part of the deal breaks down to approx (on what I’ve seen in the press)

seven $150mill
Telstra $110mill
Fox $213mill

The AFL is not getting any cash in their revised deal from Telstra. Sure they are getting upgrades to 5g for marvel and replays- BUT they didn't mention any money. Thats why VLandy said their are NOT getting any money from Telstra.
SMH
“It’s complete crap, the whole thing,” V’landys bristles. “Our deal with Foxtel is for seven years. The AFL only did it for two years. It’s complicated in the sense that they were getting a lot of money from Telstra, and now they don’t. It’s a completely different negotiation. I can’t say the figure [of the NRL's deal with Foxtel] because I’m bound by confidentiality, but we’re getting more now than we were before.”
So the Seven TV $146m cash average, sprouted before is bullshit. The $946m cash figure is pure unadulterated bullshit .

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL is not getting any cash in their revised deal from Telstra. Sure they are getting upgrades to 5g for marvel and replays- BUT they didn't mention any money. Thats why VLandy said their are NOT getting any money from Telstra.
SMH
“It’s complete crap, the whole thing,” V’landys bristles. “Our deal with Foxtel is for seven years. The AFL only did it for two years. It’s complicated in the sense that they were getting a lot of money from Telstra, and now they don’t. It’s a completely different negotiation. I can’t say the figure [of the NRL's deal with Foxtel] because I’m bound by confidentiality, but we’re getting more now than we were before.”
So the Seven TV $146m cash average, sprouted before is bullshit. The $946m cash figure is pure unadulterated bullshit .

again, nobody has claimed it’s all cash.
Again you’re reading something that may or not be the case.
Telstra are laying $50mill a year until 2022, very much doubt afl has allowed them to keep everything they are getting now plus more besides for free lol
Why is the seven avg BS? What makes you say that and what do you think they are paying?

colly

Juniors

seven $150mill
Telstra $110mill
Fox $213mill

The NRL renegotiated and extended its deal with Foxtel out to 2027 for an undisclosed amount having also renegotiated its contract with Nine (which publishes this masthead) for a further two years. The AFL claims it’s struck a far better deal.

“It’s complete crap, the whole thing,” V’landys bristles. “Our deal with Foxtel is for seven years. The AFL only did it for two years. It’s complicated in the sense that they were getting a lot of money from Telstra, and now they don’t. It’s a completely different negotiation. I can’t say the figure [of the NRL's deal with Foxtel] because I’m bound by confidentiality, but we’re getting more now than we were before.

It's plain as day the AFL is NOT getting any cash for the two year extension from Telstra. That's why in the press release they don't mention it. They rave on about marvel this marvel that. When was the last time the AFL would have left a important point of renewing Telstra (years 23 and 24) 50m yearly contribution. Well we know the AFL is loose with the truth in the papers where penalties are nothing. However it is another step to say outright Telsra is continuing ( 23/24) their 50m payment for the handheld streaming rights. Thats why in the press release it lists marvel and nothing else. Besides Telstra already pays streaming rights as a 40% owner of Foxtel and Kayo. Any shareholder of Telstra would object to paying twice.Thats another point why should Telstra would not folk out money for a product they already bought it with the New Foxtel AFL extension contract. Telstra as a owner of Kayo can offer handheld phone/ computer to AFL fans.
So when Vlandy said the AFL were NOT getting any money from Telstra (directly) he was correct.
With Kayo being the new kid on the block since the last deal it kinda made it redundant for Telstra to pay 50m yearly for a product they already bought with Foxtel/Kayo.

Latter I will lay out the 146m average Seven payment is a sham also with 25m dollars yearly in contra bringing it 121m yearly payment- However even if Seven were paying 23/24 146m or as you say now 150m (I don't have a clue where you get that 4m increase) The biggest crap is the 946m over two years, thats almost fraudulent reporting, however the fawning press and their sycophants (including you) lap it up.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
Why Kayo could help V’landys land knockout blow to AFL in TV cash fight

Roy Masters

January 25, 2021 — 3.45pm
One of my few very rich friends once sat next to the late Cardinal Sin of the Philippines at a fundraising dinner in New York.

The cardinal whispered, loud enough for the nearby bankers to hear: “Money is the devil’s excrement, but it makes for wonderful manure...”

Peter V’landys put it a different way when he described the AFL’s boast that it has received more money than the NRL for renegotiated TV rights as “complete crap.”

The combative ARLC chief may well be proven right when Foxtel and Telstra make a joint announcement late this week, probably to say the telco is withdrawing from sports content rights.

Comparisons of broadcasting income for Australia’s two top football codes are notoriously difficult to make, especially when sports bosses hide behind “commercial-in-confidence” clauses, the same way politicians quote “national security” when refusing to answer a journalist’s questions.

V’landys won’t say how much the NRL received to extend its deal with Fox Sports until 2027, stressing it would breach its agreement with the News Corp-owned network, but conceded it was more than the 2018-22 payment.

However, the AFL announced on Christmas Eve that it had negotiated a deal with Fox until 2024, with “industry sources” saying the payment for 2023 and 2024 year represented a 25 percent increase and was $150m a year greater in each of these years than the NRL was receiving.

Fox are certainly paying the AFL more than in the previous contract, but Fox are getting more content in return. What the AFL didn’t say is that Telstra, which owns 35 percent of Fox, are cutting back on digital sports rights.

In other words, the AFL is receiving from Fox money formerly paid by Telstra, and Fox is receiving the content which formerly went to Telstra.

Telstra is expected to take a similar line with the NRL. Its contract concludes in 2022 but negotiations are complicated by the telco also having a naming rights deal with the NRL.

However, on an average annual basis, the AFL has done better in its new, two-year extended deal compared to its previous 2017-22 broadcasting contract with Fox, Seven and Telstra - even allowing for the discounts they gave broadcasters for the COVID-19 impacted 2020 season.

Seven paid more for the renegotiated 2020-2024 years, but the big question is whether the debt-burdened network can afford it. “Insiders” estimate that Seven have committed $50m a year more than it can pay and will come knocking on Fox’s door to offload some content.

Fox, also heavily indebted, won’t pay more.

The NRL doesn’t have a free-to-air deal past 2022. It also awarded rights holder, Nine, significant discounts for the 2020-22 seasons. Presumably, Nine used these savings partly to do a deal with rugby league’s historic rival, rugby union.

Rugby Australia concluded a deal late last year with Nine and its streaming arm, Stan Sport, to screen its games.

Furthermore, Stan Sport wasn’t around when V’landys extended his deal with Fox but emerged to offer some competitive tension for Fox’s extension with the AFL.

So, V’landys has been very accommodating to Nine, even making a late change in 2020 at the demand of the broadcaster to speed up the game via a “six-again” rule.

It didn’t lift ratings, which actually declined, but this was largely because Queensland turned off the game when none of its three teams made the top eight.

By contrast, the AFL got lucky with COVID, which locked down Melburnians, forcing them indoors through the 2020 winter where they were treated to a game a night, boosting Seven and Fox ratings.

But V’landys may have timed his run with the sale of free-to-air rights, following the news on Monday that News Corp-owned streaming service Kayo will screen minor sports on to its platform for free.

Could this extend to major sports? Does it mean all of Nine’s current NRL package – State of Origin, three NRL games a week, plus finals- switches over to Kayo?

Fans could click onto Kayo simply by inserting their email address, satisfying the Federal Government’s anti-siphoning legislation.

News Corp would pay a motza to control all of rugby league.

The Telstra/Foxtel announcement late this week, plus the implications of Kayo opening up its service free to “minor” sports, should clear up whether the AFL boast is “complete crap” or, as Cardinal Sin implied, “wonderful manure.”

colly

Juniors
Thanx for that Brick.

I don't mind Roy, thou he did'nt crack a Grand final, however Roy relies 'industry insiders' no name given however even the quotes from Industry sources' don't make much sense. Most of the figures were released elsewhere.

But far from the worst part of the report, Roy thinks Telstra will withdraw from streaming NRL, hello Roy, Telstra weren't invited to the negotiations as written elsewhere on this blog. So the NRL cut Telstra out and WILL sell internet/streaming to another media group, maybe two media groups like Nine TV and Stan and Ten TV, and 10 All Access.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-strategy-after-nrl-snub-20200614-p552dy.html
"
It was a move by Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'landys that Telstra did not see coming.

Buried in the fine print of the NRL's extended rights deal with pay TV operator Foxtel was a decision that almost slipped by unnoticed: Telstra customers would no longer be able to stream NRL games on their phones for free from 2023 onwards."

Roy should know better than quote the AFL press release and Age newspaper report, even word by word. It's a report full misdirection ,half facts, indeterminate times/dates/ years and get this they supposedly compare to the NRL even when they don't have the actual amount the contract is with the NRL and Foxtel. If your going to say the AFL is getting 150 million more than the NRL , why not just say what the NRL is getting or for that matter what the AFL is getting. But like similar tactics, the AFL don't even tell you what their are getting even in these two years they report, top secret, BUT BUT it's 150m more than the NRL, I tell ya. I take under my umbrella what he said about Seven, but as I posted before, Seven TV won't be able to fulfill it's contracts unless they pay back 500 million debt and a extra 200m revolving loan they got also, so it's goodnight seven/AFL when (2022) LOAN FALLS DUE!
And the NRL will stand alone at the top.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL renegotiated and extended its deal with Foxtel out to 2027 for an undisclosed amount having also renegotiated its contract with Nine (which publishes this masthead) for a further two years. The AFL claims it’s struck a far better deal.

“It’s complete crap, the whole thing,” V’landys bristles. “Our deal with Foxtel is for seven years. The AFL only did it for two years. It’s complicated in the sense that they were getting a lot of money from Telstra, and now they don’t. It’s a completely different negotiation. I can’t say the figure [of the NRL's deal with Foxtel] because I’m bound by confidentiality, but we’re getting more now than we were before.

It's plain as day the AFL is NOT getting any cash for the two year extension from Telstra. That's why in the press release they don't mention it. They rave on about marvel this marvel that. When was the last time the AFL would have left a important point of renewing Telstra (years 23 and 24) 50m yearly contribution. Well we know the AFL is loose with the truth in the papers where penalties are nothing. However it is another step to say outright Telsra is continuing ( 23/24) their 50m payment for the handheld streaming rights. Thats why in the press release it lists marvel and nothing else. Besides Telstra already pays streaming rights as a 40% owner of Foxtel and Kayo. Any shareholder of Telstra would object to paying twice.Thats another point why should Telstra would not folk out money for a product they already bought it with the New Foxtel AFL extension contract. Telstra as a owner of Kayo can offer handheld phone/ computer to AFL fans.
So when Vlandy said the AFL were NOT getting any money from Telstra (directly) he was correct.
With Kayo being the new kid on the block since the last deal it kinda made it redundant for Telstra to pay 50m yearly for a product they already bought with Foxtel/Kayo.

Latter I will lay out the 146m average Seven payment is a sham also with 25m dollars yearly in contra bringing it 121m yearly payment- However even if Seven were paying 23/24 146m or as you say now 150m (I don't have a clue where you get that 4m increase) The biggest crap is the 946m over two years, thats almost fraudulent reporting, however the fawning press and their sycophants (including you) lap it up.
so of Telstra are paying nothing, a big lol at that, then whose making up the missing money out of seven and fox?telstra ares till getting streaming rights according to the afl announcement. Fox may be pushing telstra (or Telstra may see it as a good idea given the hold 35% in fox) to ditch that given the importance of kayo to their future?
Sure you can say the official announcement by the afl of $946mill for two years is a sham but you’re heading into Phil tin foil hat territory! I guess we will eventually see in the annual report which is the only true way of knowing what cash revenue from media is each year. Should be out in NEXT 4-5weeks for 2020 so we’ll get to see if we got covid stiffed last year.
reality is there will be around 5-10% contra in that figure as is there is on all tv deals for all codes

Last edited:
so of Telstra are paying nothing, a big lol at that, then whose making up the missing money out of seven and fox? Sure you can say the official announcement by the afl of $946mill for two years is a sham but you’re heading into Phil tin foil hat territory!
reality is there be around 5-10% max contra in that as is there is on all tv deals for all codes.
Lol I get a mention of tin foil hat .
You really do hate when it's pointed out that
A..you have it in for PVL & have ranted for months about how bad the deal Is without knowing the full details .
&
B ..the AFL have a long long history of lying ( you seem to think this time they're not ) about $$$$
About playing numbers .
About crowds .etc .
Memberships .
Lol they even straight out lied to a senate committee.

Yet somehow that is tin foil hat conspiracy .
Those are all facts .
But your hatred of PVL gets in the way of seeing how much bullshit the AFl spin ..
You chose your side long ago in the RL v AFL debate .
& it's clear you don't like anything bad said about GIl the lying dill .

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
4vckno.jpg