What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia in South Africa (postponed) and in NZ SQUADs 2021

lockyno1

Post Whore
I’d play Carey as a pure bat at number 5/6, probably 6. View to have Inglis keeping after Paine with Carey batting at 6.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I’d play Carey as a pure bat at number 5/6, probably 6. View to have Inglis keeping after Paine with Carey batting at 6.

Yup, I sent a mate a text very same thing. Makes sense

Green and Carey, at 5 and 6, are better than slotting Head or a Wade in there going forward

Paine slips up, or retires , or gets injured, Carey would have had some test experience

Gives us time to find a middle order bat as well before the ashes (assuming Paine is retired by then and Carey gets the gloves)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont mind Steketee, saw him bowling for QLD against the Bloos, he looks a good type for mine

also the fact that Carey and Swepson have been added to the squad tells you what the selectors are thinking about Paine and the Goat, they now have some one in the squad looking over their shoulder and need to do well in the lead up games, assuming they have any

jargan83

Coach
I would have liked to see J Richardson in the test squad over one of the other back up bowlers.

They were talking about Jhye Richardson on the radio here in Perth the other night after BBL game and apparently he has an ongoing shoulder issue, can bowl 4 overs but hasn't been cleared for anything else, also having pain when throwing the ball.

Bazal

Post Whore
They were talking about Jhye Richardson on the radio here in Perth the other night after BBL game and apparently he has an ongoing shoulder issue, can bowl 4 overs but hasn't been cleared for anything else, also having pain when throwing the ball.

Yep, he can't throw at all. Watch him in the BBL and he's doing the old "gentle bowl in from the outfield". Nowhere near fit for long form cricket

typicalfan

Coach
He's a better batsman and he gives a spin option if needed. We don't need Wade as a back up keeper with Carey, so Head is the better pick

It's not a remarkably huge difference but he's certainly a better cricketer than Wade
SA pitches usually more conducive to pace than spin. Wade probably in front against pace. Head got dropped against India who definitely have better spinners than SA.

Labs is probably a better spin option too.

I question what Head has done to be back in the side, regardless of opinion of the two as cricketers. It's more a decision was made to favour Wade and now to favour Head based on the same formlines.

isaiah

Bench
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...uad-tanveer-sangha-earns-t20i-call-up-1249335

Matthew Wade dropped from Test squad, Tanveer Sangha earns T20I call-up

Alex Carey and Mark Steketee have been included for the South Africa tour which is still awaiting final approval from the two boards

T20I squad Aaron Finch (capt), Matthew Wade (vc), Ashton Agar, Jason Behrendorff, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Josh Philippe, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Daniel Sams, Tanveer Sangha, D'Arcy Short, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa

Test squad Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins (vc), Sean Abbott, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner
Can’t see any heat players in the squad to nz. After they flog Adelaide then the thunder on Sunday, it will show the selectors were wrong.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Can’t see any heat players in the squad to nz. After they flog Adelaide then the thunder on Sunday, it will show the selectors were wrong.

Three in the test squad though..

Who would you suggest be in the T20 squad

Bazal

Post Whore
SA pitches usually more conducive to pace than spin. Wade probably in front against pace. Head got dropped against India who definitely have better spinners than SA.

Labs is probably a better spin option too.

I question what Head has done to be back in the side, regardless of opinion of the two as cricketers. It's more a decision was made to favour Wade and now to favour Head based on the same formlines.

Well if formlines are the issue then it's simpler IMO.

Head was dropped from the XI to make way for a genuine opener, but has retained his place in the squad at a time when there's been no long form domestic cricket. Wade has been dropped based on his woeful showing in the Tests.

He's not back in the side yet. Every chance they play Carey as a bat for eg, or even open with Harris and have Pucovski in the middle somewhere (although I hope not cos Harris is useless). Never know, he might keep running drinks. And even if he does return to the side he's incumbent to the squad replacing someone who's been dropped.

typicalfan

Coach
It's all moot but the selectors still had a decision Wade vs Head and went with Wade and have now gone the other way. Since then Wade has been average and Head has had no opportunity to earn his spot back and he was in no better form than Wade.

To me neither of them have really earned the spot while Harris is even worse.

JJ

Immortal
Given Australia pretty much never tours NZ, it's disappointing to say why the f**k is this T20 tour happening? It's meaningless, the format is not far from a lottery, it's a Aust B side, which if we towel we are expected to, and if they beat us it doesn't really do anything other than say the BBL is producing good T20 players...

I'll be more interested in your test series tbh, and not only because of the test championship situation, but because test cricket is brilliant - as we've seen time and time again in recent times

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Given Australia pretty much never tours NZ, it's disappointing to say why the f**k is this T20 tour happening? It's meaningless, the format is not far from a lottery, it's a Aust B side, which if we towel we are expected to, and if they beat us it doesn't really do anything other than say the BBL is producing good T20 players...

I'll be more interested in your test series tbh, and not only because of the test championship situation, but because test cricket is brilliant - as we've seen time and time again in recent times
Money, plain and simple.

CA executives need that dosh for their fat bonuses. And I’m sure your mob could do with the same.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This is cringe worthy

Australian cricket selector Trevor Hohns launches vigorous defence of the under-fire Tim Paine
By Sam Worthington

Cricket Australia has launched a vigorous defence of Tim Paine's captaincy, claiming much of the criticism was "unfair" and "in poor taste."

CA's national teams boss Ben Oliver kicked things off after the Test squad to tour South Africa was unveiled, before selector Trevor Hohns doubled down on a Zoom call with reporters.

"Tim's leadership in our mind was never in question," Hohns said in the wake of a home series humbling against India which led to widespread debate over Paine's future.

"We did not spend a minute on Tim's leadership during our selection meeting.

"He's been a terrific leader of this Australian team through some pretty trying circumstances, since he's been in the top position.
"So I think Tim is has been unfairly criticised in this instance.

"Sure, we're all disappointed with the performance of the team and losing to India out here, that's very difficult to accept sometimes, but I think the criticism of Tim Paine has been totally unfair."

Before the India series, the 36-year-old Paine had generally been viewed as doing an excellent job in the wake of the damaging Sandpapergate scandal.

But he blotted his copybook and was forced to apologise for swearing at an umpire and then abusing India's Ravichandran Ashwin during a tense Sydney Test.

Who succeeds Paine is a massive headscratcher for selectors, with Steve Smith, Pat Cummins and Alex Carey all possibilities.

"With relation to Pat Cummins, yes he is the vice-captain and we don't have any doubt that in certain circumstances, Pat could certainly take over the reins if anything were to happen to Tim Paine in the short-term," Hohns said.

"We're always looking for leaders and trying, where and when the opportunity arises, to possible give somebody some experience.

"And over the last week or two there have been various names thrown up and let's face it, we've got to canvas all of those options and try to come up with a leader or a group of leaders – which is what we've tried to do over the last few years – to take Australian cricket forward."

Wade's dumping from the Test squad clears some air for Carey to cement himself as Paine's successor as wicketkeeper and potentially as captain too.

"Alex Carey's obviously been on our radar for some time," Hohns said.

"He's played limited overs cricket for us and we thought that was the ideal pathway for him to get to Test match level.

"Alex, over the last 18 months, has got better and better as a player so I think our thinking is reasonably clear there, without rubber stamping it, if I could put it that way."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/au...-22f3-4898-956a-be981ffcdc98?ocid=Social-WWOS