What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
My second son despite being brought up as a Panther from birth for no reason than he liked Mat Rodgers for some reason and decided to support the Sharks. Never forgiven him.

Kilkenny

Coach
It’s only six weeks now to our home Round 1 game against the Cowboys. Hopefully our resignings and roster are finalised in the new week or so would be nice to get it all sorted.

While it would mean another roster spot to be filled, I hope for Dean Whare’s sake he can get his situation sorted sooner rather than later. The last thing you want in you last season or two in the game is to be stuck in reserve grade, not so much about money, just get to play some football.

Surely you'd get rid of Edwards and Leota before Kikau. Heck if everyone was earning what they'd contributed Crichton would be giving some of his money to Kikau.

If you get rid of Edwards you’d soon find yourself upgrading Staines to fullback money anyway, probably wouldn’t save much. Ditto Leota, he’d be on a smaller contract.

Original Name

Juniors
Yeah you upgrade Staines then you play a kid on the cheap on the wing to replace Staines thus saving money for a few years until you upgrade him. Same with Leota, replace him with say Lachlan Timm the best prop in reggies in 2019 if you judge by numbers.

Kilkenny

Coach
Surely you'd get rid of Edwards and Leota before Kikau. Heck if everyone was earning what they'd contributed Crichton would be giving some of his money to Kikau.

We need to find better terminology than get rid of!!!!!

As has been discussed ad nausea at times we have been forced into a situation where in order to meet our salary cap arrangements we have found ourselves in the unfortunate and sad situation of having to ‘move’ contracted players on.

‘Getting rid of’ is rather harsh in these politically correct times.

I can’t quite remember who posted it, may have been Herbert, but I thought a good point was made by suggesting we shouldn’t be breaking the piggy bank for Viliame Kikau. I tend to agree, I’m just not sure he is good value at figures around $800k. For mine, he needs his best season ever in our colours in 2021 to justify giving him really big dollars. He is capable of being a weapon, I’m just not sure he delivers as often as he should given his physical prowess. Probably not going to win any popularity contests on here by saying it, but he underwhelms at times when he really should be a weapon all of the time.

Last edited:
Just reading some site’s Rd 1 predicted team list. The Panthers number 17 was Lindsay Smith. I’ve never heard of him, what position does he play and how many minutes are you guys expecting him to get? Oh, also, will Leota get the starting gig over Leniu?

The_Frog

First Grade
Just reading some site’s Rd 1 predicted team list. The Panthers number 17 was Lindsay Smith. I’ve never heard of him, what position does he play and how many minutes are you guys expecting him to get? Oh, also, will Leota get the starting gig over Leniu?
I expect Leota to start on the strength of being higher in the pecking order and having played greater minutes last year. The general consensus appears to be that Smith isn't ready just yet.

The_Frog

First Grade
I thought a good point was made by suggesting we shouldn’t be breaking the piggy bank for Viliame Kikau. I tend to agree, I’m just not sure he is good value at figures around $800k. For mine, he needs his best season ever in our colours in 2021 to justify giving him really big dollars. He is capable of being a weapon, I’m just not sure he delivers as often as he should given his physical prowess. Probably not going to win any popularity contests on here by saying it, but he underwhelms at times when he really should be a weapon all of the time.
Kikau finished 11th in the Player of the Year voting on this site, behind 6 other forwards. It's a pretty safe bet that the people who voted felt that he didn't reach his potential in 2020, despite being as dangerous a forward as any going around, and despite the way he tends to create attacking opportunities for those around him by drawing the defence. Maybe he didn't get enough credit for this.

panthersam

Juniors
The fact that Kikau is the type of player that has the ability to do things on the field that no other player will be able to do is why I think he is a player that we should definitely be holding onto, if used correctly I’d say he would be one player that is near impossible to plan for as an opposition coach.

I know it’s the 9’s but I think of the sight of him scoring the near length of the field try against I think it was the Roosters and I just can’t imagine why we would want to let any other team get ahold of a weapon like that lol

Original Name

Juniors
We need to find better terminology than get rid of!!!!!

As has been discussed ad nausea at times we have been forced into a situation where in order to meet our salary cap arrangements we have found ourselves in the unfortunate and sad situation of having to ‘move’ contracted players on.

‘Getting rid of’ is rather harsh in these politically correct times.

I can’t quite remember who posted it, may have been Herbert, but I thought a good point was made by suggesting we shouldn’t be breaking the piggy bank for Viliame Kikau. I tend to agree, I’m just not sure he is good value at figures around $800k. For mine, he needs his best season ever in our colours in 2021 to justify giving him really big dollars. He is capable of being a weapon, I’m just not sure he delivers as often as he should given his physical prowess. Probably not going to win any popularity contests on here by saying it, but he underwhelms at times when he really should be a weapon all of the time.
Why did you think Crichton scored so many easy tries where he was barely touched like he was playing wing? Things on a Rugby League don't happen in a vacuum. It happened so often because virtually every time Kikau got numbered up with a half the centres and wingers went oh shit and came in on Kikau creating numbers and space for the left edge. That doesn't happen nearly as often if Liam Martin is playing left second row. We have no one capable of replicating that effect. The only guys who could atm are Taumolo or maybe David Fifita. Maybe that huge second rower/centre the Sharks have.

Last edited:
Yeah you upgrade Staines then you play a kid on the cheap on the wing to replace Staines thus saving money for a few years until you upgrade him. Same with Leota, replace him with say Lachlan Timm the best prop in reggies in 2019 if you judge by numbers.

You might save some, but it won’t be much.

The real savings will be in RCG and Blake coming off our cap.

franklin2323

Immortal
Why did you think Crichton scored so many easy tries where he was barely touched like he was playing wing? Things on a Rugby League don't happen on a vacuum. It happened so often because virtually every time Kikau got numbered up with a half the centres and wingers went oh shit and came in on Kikau creating numbers and space for the left edge. That doesn't happen nearly as often if Liam Martin is playing left second row. We have no one capable of replicating that effect. The only guys who could atm are Taumolo or maybe David Fifita.

Kikau missed several games. Still carved up all depends where you want to save money

Latest posts