What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Royal Rumble

Big Pete

Referee
The night before the Rumble and for all of us who still keep in touch with Pro Wrestling, one of the more enjoyable shows of the year. The Rumble matches are usually some of the best laid out matches and as we saw last year, can really launch a career.

I'm looking forward to the Drew McIntyre/Bill Goldberg match. Drew should obviously win the match, but the WWE's insistence of pushing old stars has me second guessing. Fans tend to hate the idea of Goldberg working in 2020s WWE and while I understand the rationale, I'm not going to pretend I'm impartial. Goldberg was my favourite character when I got into Pro Wrestling and I'm sticking loyal to DA MAN!!

I can't pick either winner for the Rumble. I presume for the Men's it will either be a SmackDown talent or an unannounced talent. I've got my fingers crossed for Daniel Bryan because I think it's time for him to have another Wrestlemania epic. He's really only had the two big time singles (vs. HHH @ XXX, vs. Kingston @ XXXV) a match against Reigns would be off the charts. For the Women's I'm going all in on the South Australian Rhea Ripley. I think either division is ready for some new blood and she's beyond ready after Charlotte took all her momentum (and somehow lost her ability to work).

Valheru

Coach
I think this will be the show that is effected most by no crowds, even more so than wrestlemania.

Crowd reactions are integral to the royal rumble match.

Speaking of mania, it will have fans. 22k I believe.

bileduct

Coach
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!

I f**kin knew right at the start Edge and Orton would be the last two.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
They went with the old number 1 going the distance.

They haven't done that for 17 years (26 if, like WWE you want to forget benoit ever existed) so not the worst result storyline wise.

Vince and Mysterio did win from 2 in 99 and 06 respectively which I guess is technically the same thing.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!

I f**kin knew right at the start Edge and Orton would be the last two.
if it was any other old timer, i’d be pissed, But Edge lost a decade of his career, give him one final year to go out his way.

I thought both matches were well done. Not a fan of old timers but Edge is still one of the best workers on the roster and probably the best promo in the company. Belair is the right choice as well. Just hoping for something that isn’t Edge vs Orton for mania. Have that at fastlane and go with Edge vs Drew or if Drew drops the belt have him drop it to Styles.

Big Pete

Referee
There's been better Royal Rumble matches but as somebody who gravitated towards Edge and Christian when I first started watching Pro Wrestling, it was a blast to see them reunite and work against the current crop of guys. Even Christian-Styles going at it was a nice reminder of Christian's run in TNA which for mine was their peak as a company.

Like everything in current Pro Wrestling, it wasn't quite as good without a crowd there, but they had enough enjoyable moments to get a pop out of me.

I also have no problem with Edge going over. It would be nice if there were a few guys banging the door down but for whatever reason that hasn't happened and Edge has clearly worked his ass off to get back into the ring and you may as well strike while the iron is relatively hot.

azzah72

Bench
Both good rumbles, I liked the women more but both enjoyable.

I'd like to see the curveball and have edge go after Reigns.

I don't think it'll happen ad I think Dbry is still a lock against him but those two are currently the most engaging storytellers in WWE and could do some great stuff together.

As for Drew?

Not sure, He deserved a High-level challenger but not sure who it could be at this point.

A returning Brock?
Post quarantine Kieth Lee?
AJ?
I think the best story option could be Sheamus but he's sort of bobbing around in the water at the moment so they'd need to legitimize him quickly.

Throw in orton v fiend, Bel air v Sasha and likely Asuka v flair (rhea may be involved somewhere there) and there's 5 pretty good matches. (well 4 and one weird cinematic shit likely)

Valheru

Coach
Whatever the card may be, I expect mania to be off the charts work rate wise. They will have a crowd (albeit limited) for the first time in 12 months.

azzah72

Bench
I actually forgot about one of the best things of the night.

I enjoyed the mini battle Bel air and Naomi were having throughout the rumble.

Hadn't really seen that I'm a rumble for a while.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
2 solid rumbles from what I've seen (a highlight package while knowing the results)

One thing, and this is coming from a Goldberg mark.... I really wish he'd stop.

It's a joy to watch him (purely nostalgic, from a WCW kid growing up) but he is ruining himself and his legacy.

He's always been a lean mean, strong machine. Booked to be almost impossible to beat, certainly without shenanigans such as a tazer, or a sledgehammer.

The Jackhammer needs to be protected...especially after multiple spears.

Having seen him get squashed by Brock at Mania, lose terribly against Taker, and now have his finishing moves now falling prey to the 2010's/2020's style that finishers, aren't exactly finishers anymore.

Just stop. Please.

If you bring him back, use him in a way where he can run over someone. Let a character get cocky, or a comedic character (ala Slater from a few years back) say something which is a brings the man out. Spear, Jackhammer. Done. Then no more matches. Have him go out on a win, doing what he did best (ideally without sacrificing your better talent ala Owens, ala Fiend)

One thing I’ve realised. In the three matches that had the potential to ruin the show, the booking made you think worst case scenario would happen, then it didn’t.

they made you think Drew would be fed to Oldberg, then he kicks out of the jackhammer and wins.

they made you think Charlotte would win the women’s rumble, then she didn’t

I was adamant Randy was going to win from around the time Bryan was eliminated (Seth, Christian, Riddle & Strowman were all not winning). Then they turned the silly “injured wrestler was never eliminated” trope into a perfect fake out.

Valheru

Coach
One thing, and this is coming from a Goldberg mark.... I really wish he'd stop.

It's a joy to watch him (purely nostalgic, from a WCW kid growing up) but he is ruining himself and his legacy.

He's always been a lean mean, strong machine. Booked to be almost impossible to beat, certainly without shenanigans such as a tazer, or a sledgehammer.

The Jackhammer needs to be protected...especially after multiple spears.

Having seen him get squashed by Brock at Mania, lose terribly against Taker, and now have his finishing moves now falling prey to the 2010's/2020's style that finishers, aren't exactly finishers anymore.

Just stop. Please.

Meh I don't think this ruins his legacy at all, he is just trying to bring in the pay cheques whilst someone is still willing to pay him so more power to him.

No old school fan will remember him for anything other than his WCW run and possibly his first WWE run, I know I certainly won't.

bileduct

Coach
I'll always remember Goldberg for his turd of a match against the Undertaker in Saudi Arabia a few years back.

Big Pete

Referee
Meh I don't think this ruins his legacy at all, he is just trying to bring in the pay cheques whilst someone is still willing to pay him so more power to him.

No old school fan will remember him for anything other than his WCW run and possibly his first WWE run, I know I certainly won't.

I enjoyed his feud with Brock and I thought they both redeemed themselves after the debacle that was Wrestlemania XX.

Otherwise, Goldberg winning the WCW Championship at the Georgia Dome is how he'll be remembered.