What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Whino

Bench
Here you go Jane

Coach Ivan Cleary told the Herald the Luai and Crichton negotiations had taken longer because they were trying to build a roster that could be “sustainable”.

“This isn’t a case of, ‘Get these deals done and worry about it later’,” Cleary said. “We’re trying to be sustainable and build this over a long period of time. It’s not easy, especially with the year we’ve just had [and success of players].

Advertisement

“With Jarome, he’s a local boy, he’s come through the system and you can always see his energy. Him and ‘Nat’ [Nathan Cleary] are a great combo. They’re so different but they work, and there’s a good opportunity to have those two guys together for a long time.”

Crichton shook hands on a three-year deal worth $500,000 a season last year, only to hold out for more money. He looks set to pocket in excess of $600,000 a season - good money for a second-year centre - while five-eighth Luai will bank around $700,000 a year.

Luai always imagined he would spend his entire career along side his friends at the foot of the mountains, but now knows that is impossible.

“I didn’t think it would have to be like this where people have to move on - I’m realising that now,” Luai told the Herald. “I understand it more now because it’s happening. If I had my way all the boys would stay together. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.

“Hopefully I’m not too far off [a new deal]. I want to stay here the rest of my career if I can. We’re all brothers on and off the field. I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I’d love to get a good deal here in my own backyard and everyone is happy.”

Opinion

NRL 2021

The three reasons the Dragons aborted the signing of Folau

The success of the Panthers has already seen James Tamou shift to the Wests Tigers, Josh Mansour join Souths and Zane Tetevano take up a deal with Leeds, while Dean Whare is bound for Catalans.

Even the slightest increase to a player’s wage causes a ripple effect through a club’s cap.

Luai, Crichton, Brian To’o, Moses Leota, Cleary, along with Spencer Leniu, among others, have all spent most of their careers at the foot of the mountains - and their off-field chemistry played a big part in their long march to last year’s grand final. You only had to see the way they danced around a boom box for lunchtime workers while waiting for a bus on Thursday.

Penrith must decide on their next skipper with Cleary, Isaah Yeo and even James Fisher-Harris in the mix to replace Tamou.

Luai liked Cleary or Yeo and said of the latter: “Isaah is a leader on and off the field, as soon as he talks everyone listens. We all look up to him.″⁣

Save

A few points to take away from that.

Crichton's deal won't be the News Limited figure of $750 per year. As Blade has said.

Luai and Crichton deals shouldn't be too far off either. Blade said 1 player had signed out off Yeo, Crichton, and Luai, with the club sitting on the 1 announcement and the other 2 players have only verbal agreements.
Luai's comment suggests to me his deal isn't too far off.

Must be why Wests have so much money, from ALL these types of players staying for unders
No, we have so much money as no one wants to come (or they’re afraid to get on bus since the conductor fled). The other reason is the only players on big dollars were signed by Ivan The Terrible!

ACTPanthers

Bench
Still blaming the ex for all your woes..?

307d157fe2c4250ad7650ecbb53e2808.png

MugaB

Coach
Only for 1 more year!
Still won't solve your problem that no players want to go to wests, and ivan wasn't your problem, your club was underachieving WAAAAAY before Ivan got there, if you gave him another year or two, maybe you'd break that finals drought, but alas #throwuptantrumtigertown does its best to kick up an almighty stink everytime things don't go their way.

Must have something to do with the low standards Esienhuth mentioned yesterday in that interview

Abacus

Juniors
Here you go Jane

Coach Ivan Cleary told the Herald the Luai and Crichton negotiations had taken longer because they were trying to build a roster that could be “sustainable”.

“This isn’t a case of, ‘Get these deals done and worry about it later’,” Cleary said. “We’re trying to be sustainable and build this over a long period of time. It’s not easy, especially with the year we’ve just had [and success of players].

Advertisement

“With Jarome, he’s a local boy, he’s come through the system and you can always see his energy. Him and ‘Nat’ [Nathan Cleary] are a great combo. They’re so different but they work, and there’s a good opportunity to have those two guys together for a long time.”

Crichton shook hands on a three-year deal worth $500,000 a season last year, only to hold out for more money. He looks set to pocket in excess of $600,000 a season - good money for a second-year centre - while five-eighth Luai will bank around $700,000 a year.

Luai always imagined he would spend his entire career along side his friends at the foot of the mountains, but now knows that is impossible.

“I didn’t think it would have to be like this where people have to move on - I’m realising that now,” Luai told the Herald. “I understand it more now because it’s happening. If I had my way all the boys would stay together. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.

“Hopefully I’m not too far off [a new deal]. I want to stay here the rest of my career if I can. We’re all brothers on and off the field. I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I’d love to get a good deal here in my own backyard and everyone is happy.”

Opinion

NRL 2021

The three reasons the Dragons aborted the signing of Folau

The success of the Panthers has already seen James Tamou shift to the Wests Tigers, Josh Mansour join Souths and Zane Tetevano take up a deal with Leeds, while Dean Whare is bound for Catalans.

Even the slightest increase to a player’s wage causes a ripple effect through a club’s cap.

Luai, Crichton, Brian To’o, Moses Leota, Cleary, along with Spencer Leniu, among others, have all spent most of their careers at the foot of the mountains - and their off-field chemistry played a big part in their long march to last year’s grand final. You only had to see the way they danced around a boom box for lunchtime workers while waiting for a bus on Thursday.

Penrith must decide on their next skipper with Cleary, Isaah Yeo and even James Fisher-Harris in the mix to replace Tamou.

Luai liked Cleary or Yeo and said of the latter: “Isaah is a leader on and off the field, as soon as he talks everyone listens. We all look up to him.″⁣

Save
Seriously? “I didn’t think it would have to be like this where people have to move on". Good thing the kid can play footy because that os 1 of the dumbest quotes uttered by a player in the professional era.

What did he think, the pie just magically increases anytime he or his mates wany more money?

Sound a little like crocodile tears when he follows up with this:
“Hopefully I’m not too far off [a new deal]." I don't think he's thinking about taking unders to keep others at the club.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Seriously? “I didn’t think it would have to be like this where people have to move on". Good thing the kid can play footy because that os 1 of the dumbest quotes uttered by a player in the professional era.

What did he think, the pie just magically increases anytime he or his mates wany more money?

Sound a little like crocodile tears when he follows up with this:
“Hopefully I’m not too far off [a new deal]." I don't think he's thinking about taking unders to keep others at the club.
f**k you sound like you'd fun at parties...

Also, you haven't watched much footy if THAT is the dumbest thing you've heard a player say...

Panfa

Juniors
Capewell and yeo are similar players.Both can cover centre back row both punch above there weight just depends how much the club wants to spend to keep them.

panthersam

Juniors
The Dogs are making a play for Burton to come early. They have offered up a few suggestions of players to swap. Napa is one of them.
At the moment all we are doing is listening to their offers.

Do you think ultimately we will end up holding onto him for this season?
Not too many in the Dogs squad that I could see being too beneficial in a swap deal for us unless they want to offer up Averillo - which is highly doubt they will!

Can you share any of the other names that might have been thrown around?

Blade23

Juniors
Do you think ultimately we will end up holding onto him for this season?
Not too many in the Dogs squad that I could see being too beneficial in a swap deal for us unless they want to offer up Averillo - which is highly doubt they will!

Can you share any of the other names that might have been thrown around?

In the end it will come down to terms. We hold the most important card. We don't have to do anything. It will have to be a good offer to tempt us.

Jane Murray

Bench
The Dogs are making a play for Burton to come early. They have offered up a few suggestions of players to swap. Napa is one of them.
At the moment all we are doing is listening to their offers.
What other players are they offering? No way to Napa.