What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

Jamberoo

Juniors
Naming themselves after the F/A-18F is new. In fact I can't think of any other major sports team that is named after a specific type of fighter jet that was based in the teams home city.

I also struggle to see how you could rationally argue that people are going to confuse the above with a knockoff Hawthorn brand that isn't even really competing in the pro-sports market.

Also you don't even know if there would be a fight, so why are you trying to run away from a fight that may not even happen?
They why the fuss about the Firehawks/Firebirds? Netball is a different sport, is played by women, and is also semi-pro. How would that confuse people?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Good reason why hardly anyone uses orange as a sports brand colour!
That's not true, some of the most recognisable brands in world sport have orange in their colour scheme.

New York Mets, Cleveland Browns, Anaheim Ducks, San Francisco Giants, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Knicks, etc, etc, and those are just American brands.

Frankly orange and blue or black is probably one of the more common colour schemes in the world.

The Great Dane

First Grade
They why the fuss about the Firehawks/Firebirds? Netball is a different sport, is played by women, and is also semi-pro. How would that confuse people?
Because the Firebirds are challenging, they do compete in the same market (i.e. they are a for profit organisation in a professional league at the top tier of their sport), and their brands are almost identical.

In other words the Firebirds are challenging and they have a good chance of winning, where as we don't even know if the Aspley Hornets would challenge, and assuming that they don't own the Brisbane Hornets trademark (which they currently don't), they'd have much less chance of winning.

Look, trying to come up with a brand that is totally unique of every community club's brand to avoid a clash would be a fools errand, because no matter how hard you try what you come up with will clash with somebody at least a little bit, so unless they own the trademark you shouldn't worry about them.

jim_57

Staff member
Yes, they may well lose, but not worth the fight for an NRL expansion bid. Come up with something new.
Considering one party of the combined bid was going to go with 'Bombers' I doubt they'd be too worried about Aspley Hornets kicking up a stink.
Realistically every decent name is probably going to be taken or similar to something already used these days. I don't think it's a massive issue unless they directly copy an existing NRL, AFL, Super Rugby, NBL, A-League or other significant top flight Australian club.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Because the Firebirds are challenging, they do compete in the same market (i.e. they are a for profit organisation in a professional league at the top tier of their sport), and their brands are almost identical.

In other words the Firebirds are challenging and they have a good chance of winning, where as we don't even know if the Aspley Hornets would challenge, and assuming that they don't own the Brisbane Hornets trademark (which they currently don't), they'd have much less chance of winning.

Look, trying to come up with a brand that is totally unique of every community club's brand to avoid a clash would be a fools errand, because no matter how hard you try what you come up with will clash with somebody at least a little bit, so unless they own the trademark you shouldn't worry about them.
Whether you win or lose, legal action is no good for anyone except the lawyers. If you were the Aspley Hornets, playing in Brisbane in a league that operates in the Qld, NSW & Vic, would you be happy with another team in the same city, operating in the same three states, using the same brand name? All it takes in for Aspley to have one lawyer on their board or involved with the club and you have a costly legal dispute on your hands.
So, you should worry. It saves a lot of time, money, effort and egg on your face.

Probably because they can't really afford to build a 25k seat stadium (realistically it'd need to be at least 30k, especially if they want to host finals).

Maybe if the government helped, but what government would invest that kind of money into a stadium without being absolutely certain that it'd have a major tenant fulltime, especially one that has the best rectangular stadium in the country just down the road.

And that's the real issue isn't; you'd be mad to invest in, or use, what would effectively be a tarted up suburban stadium when Suncorp is in spitting distance and is in a better location.
Maybe I could see the logic if Suncorp was in a shitty spot in middle of nowhere that's hard for most of the population to get to, but it's not, and in fact Dolphin oval's in a worse spot than it is.
Lang Park is a fair distance away from Redcliffe.

I just hope the stadium has foundations in place to allow a second tier to be added to the eastern, western and northern stands to get the capacity up to 20k.

That’s where you’ve missed the point a bit lately, Red. The bid is meant to appeal to Greater Brisbane, not only the Northern Corridor. They won’t be “Redcliffe”. Plus, 90 minutes is a huge exaggeration, Petrie Station to Roma street is just under 45 minutes by train. And if you knew the area you would know that Petrie is smack bang in the middle of Moreton Bay Council.

I don't know if a team can represent every RL fan in Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Redlands and Moreton Bay. If it could then the Broncos would get 52,500 to each game.

Brisbane 2 should be on the southside and Dolphins should be added as Brisbane 3, preferably 5 or 10 years after the West Coast Pirates are brought in. There needs to be time for a decent sized boutique stadium to be built in Moreton and the population to grow.

Last edited:
I don't like the name Moreton Bay. Would Brisbane Bay Dolphins work?
No. Moreton Bay is a well known name up here as it represents the stretch of water between greater Brisbane and the Pacific Ocean, with lots of sand islands that are very popular. Moreton Island, North Stradbroke Island, South Stradbroke Island, Coochiemudlo Island, Russell Island, Karragarra Island and St Helena Island have a lot of history and draw tourists. The Moreton Bay Region adopted its name from the bay.

MugaB

Coach
No. Moreton Bay is a well known name up here as it represents the stretch of water between greater Brisbane and the Pacific Ocean, with lots of sand islands that are very popular. Moreton Island, North Stradbroke Island, South Stradbroke Island, Coochiemudlo Island, Russell Island, Karragarra Island and St Helena Island have a lot of history and draw tourists. The Moreton Bay Region adopted its name from the bay.
Pacific ocean, thats on the East Coast right?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Whether you win or lose, legal action is no good for anyone except the lawyers. If you were the Aspley Hornets, playing in Brisbane in a league that operates in the Qld, NSW & Vic, would you be happy with another team in the same city, operating in the same three states, using the same brand name? All it takes in for Aspley to have one lawyer on their board or involved with the club and you have a costly legal dispute on your hands.
So, you should worry. It saves a lot of time, money, effort and egg on your face.
Frankly I think that lawsuit would be of much greater expense to the Aspley Hornets then it would the NRL, and again they don't even own the Brisbane Hornets trademark and there're significant differences between the two brands, so I doubt they'd have standing.

In other words, if they even tried to challenge the trademark, which is unlikely in the first place, it's way more likely than not that they'd end up being the ones with egg on their face like the Tasmanian RU were when they threatened to challenge the Jack Jumpers trademark, and the Tasmanian RU had a way better case than Aspley would have.

I'm also not sure what you want, because no matter what brand you come up with there's going to be a community club somewhere that it clashes with, so basically it's impossible to avoid the risk that some little club somewhere will try to challenge the trademark, so there's no point in even worrying about it unless it actually happens.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Lang Park is a fair distance away from Redcliffe.

I just hope the stadium has foundations in place to allow a second tier to be added to the eastern, western and northern stands to get the capacity up to 20k.
Why even bother when 20k is still way to small.

The reality is that unless it gets totally rebuilt Dolphin stadium should only ever be used as a training ground and maybe for preseason games.
I don't know if a team can represent every RL fan in Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Redlands and Moreton Bay. If it could then the Broncos would get 52,500 to each game.

Brisbane 2 should be on the southside and Dolphins should be added as Brisbane 3, preferably 5 or 10 years after the West Coast Pirates are brought in. There needs to be time for a decent sized boutique stadium to be built in Moreton and the population to grow.
You don't need to build a team that represents every RL fan in Brisbane, only one that can represent enough to build a profitable club that is competitive, and you have a way better chance of doing that with a club that can represent a large section of the city's population than one that only really represents a tiny region.

The reality is that in Brisbane there's no reason why you couldn't build two huge rival clubs, that are two of the biggest clubs in the league, like the Man Utd and Man City of the NRL, and that would be the best outcome for everyone involved.

If you go the other route of having clubs that only represent small regions then you'll end up needing 4-6 clubs to fill every gap in the market and end up massively oversaturating the market and replicating all the problems that Sydney has, which would be a disaster for everybody involved.

Nerd

Bench
'Rich leagues' club that's no richer than Easts', in fact I'm pretty sure that Easts' leagues clubs are bigger, and 'boutique stadium' that's actually a glorified training pitch because it's way to small to host NRL games...
I get what your saying about Dolphin Oval not holding enough people for an NRL game but having been a member at Easts and have visited the Redcliffe Leagues club a few times Redcliffe appears much bigger and more cashed up than Easts.

Diesel

Referee
That's not true, some of the most recognisable brands in world sport have orange in their colour scheme.

New York Mets, Cleveland Browns, Anaheim Ducks, San Francisco Giants, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Knicks, etc, etc, and those are just American brands.

Frankly orange and blue or black is probably one of the more common colour schemes in the world.
Orange & Blue is also the colours of the Brisbane Roar and the Richlands Lions FC, where the Roar was born, also in the Brisbane Jets catchment area

Jamberoo

Juniors
Frankly I think that lawsuit would be of much greater expense to the Aspley Hornets then it would the NRL, and again they don't even own the Brisbane Hornets trademark and there're significant differences between the two brands, so I doubt they'd have standing.

In other words, if they even tried to challenge the trademark, which is unlikely in the first place, it's way more likely than not that they'd end up being the ones with egg on their face like the Tasmanian RU were when they threatened to challenge the Jack Jumpers trademark, and the Tasmanian RU had a way better case than Aspley would have.

I'm also not sure what you want, because no matter what brand you come up with there's going to be a community club somewhere that it clashes with, so basically it's impossible to avoid the risk that some little club somewhere will try to challenge the trademark, so there's no point in even worrying about it unless it actually happens.
Well it is an issue. And one of the reasons the Bombers name has disappeared from the bid is that they were going to have an issue with Essendon should they have been selected. You don't spend time and money promoting a brand that you may have to change.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think we can all agree that in all reality around 80-90% of fans who attend games are from within a 30km ish radius of the stadium, probably even less distance for weeknight games. Sooo if the new club is playing out of Suncorp, which it will as there isn’t another nrl standard stadium in Brisbane or surrounds, then which of the bids has the best potential to draw 20k plus attending fans from within a 30km radius of Suncorp?

the more I consider this reality the less favourable a Moreton bay dolphins bid looks. Maybe that bid needs to be parked until the nrl and dolphins can convince the govts to spend $200mill upgrading dolphin stadium?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Well it is an issue. And one of the reasons the Bombers name has disappeared from the bid is that they were going to have an issue with Essendon should they have been selected. You don't spend time and money promoting a brand that you may have to change.
That's not true. The AFL looked into the matter and decided not to pursue them, probably because it'd be expensive with a small chance of success.

The reality is you have no choice but to create a brand that you may have to change, because no matter what you do it's going to clash with somebody somewhere whom could choose to try and challenge it if they want to.

So realistically there's nothing you can do about it, so why bother even worrying about it unless it becomes a problem?

MugaB

Coach
I think we can all agree that in all reality around 80-90% of fans who attend games are from within a 30km ish radius of the stadium, probably even less distance for weeknight games. Sooo if the new club is playing out of Suncorp, which it will as there isn’t another nrl standard stadium in Brisbane or surrounds, then which of the bids has the best potential to draw 20k plus attending fans from within a 30km radius of Suncorp?

the more I consider this reality the less favourable a Moreton bay dolphins bid looks. Maybe that bid needs to be parked until the nrl and dolphins can convince the govts to spend $200mill upgrading dolphin stadium?
Its doesn't matter PR, they've already stated that they are playing at Suncorp fulltime, you basing the assumption that only REDCLIFFEs townsfolk or those of moreton bay will attend..
That would only be half or a third of the home crowd, brisbane has 2.5 million population, they only need to service 1% of that to get bums on seats and memberships to have consistent crowds, yes they won't do that at dolphin stadium, but theyll only train there, and theyll do it at Suncorp easy, and play the "manlys" of the league at sunshine coast, to pack out the lower crowd fixtures, thus save rent money instead of using Suncorp.

The jets will be the same distance and same issues, ipswich is 4kms away, Redcliffe closer at 39kms from suncorp
Easts will have more of an issue with both branding and effectively cutting the broncos territory, sponsorship and crowds in half, where as the jets and dolphins won't encroach on the broncos as much as east will

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its doesn't matter PR, they've already stated that they are playing at Suncorp fulltime, you basing the assumption that only REDCLIFFEs townsfolk or those of moreton bay will attend..
That would only be half or a third of the home crowd, brisbane has 2.5 million population, they only need to service 1% of that to get bums on seats and memberships to have consistent crowds, yes they won't do that at dolphin stadium, but theyll only train there, and theyll do it at Suncorp easy, and play the "manlys" of the league at sunshine coast, to pack out the lower crowd fixtures, thus save rent money instead of using Suncorp.

The jets will be the same distance and same issues, ipswich is 4kms away, Redcliffe closer at 39kms from suncorp
Easts will have more of an issue with both branding and effectively cutting the broncos territory, sponsorship and crowds in half, where as the jets and dolphins won't encroach on the broncos as much as east will

To be relevant though they will need to drop the branding that they are representing Moreton bay and have a much more generic brand like brisbane dolphins otherwise why will anyone not in Moreton Bay Area follow them? Jets have said they will be called the brisbane jets, dolphins will have to follow suit if they want to attract people closer to Suncorp. By the nature of having to target the inner areas of brisbane to get attendees and fill corporate boxes at Suncorp any Brisbane2 club is going to be competing directly with broncos for sponsors and fans in reality.

Why even bother when 20k is still way to small.

The reality is that unless it gets totally rebuilt Dolphin stadium should only ever be used as a training ground and maybe for preseason games.

You don't need to build a team that represents every RL fan in Brisbane, only one that can represent enough to build a profitable club that is competitive, and you have a way better chance of doing that with a club that can represent a large section of the city's population than one that only really represents a tiny region.

The reality is that in Brisbane there's no reason why you couldn't build two huge rival clubs, that are two of the biggest clubs in the league, like the Man Utd and Man City of the NRL, and that would be the best outcome for everyone involved.

If you go the other route of having clubs that only represent small regions then you'll end up needing 4-6 clubs to fill every gap in the market and end up massively oversaturating the market and replicating all the problems that Sydney has, which would be a disaster for everybody involved.

3 teams would probably be enough for Brisbane over the next 30 years. One in the south and one in the north. When Ipswich has 500k or more it can be considered, but until then it's too small. Moreton Bay Region is growing and is almost the size of Gold Coast. A team there in a 20k to 25k stadium would provide a great atmosphere for games played on a Thursday or Friday night. The NRL isn't going to average 20k to games any time soon, so we might as well build stadiums that cater to the market, rather than putting up a massive ground that is 1/4 full most of the time.

Latest posts