What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

murraymob

First Grade
Blade
Can you tell me if the jersey flegg player named in this weeks trial team maverick Geyer is mark Geyer son.i know he has a son this age

panthersam

Juniors
Would've kept Mansour or Tamou at the (likely) expense of Staines.

Wanting to keep Mansour over Staines is astounding to me. I see so many more positives for Staines going forward as opposed to a player like Mansour, especially at the respective stages of both careers.

Forget the strike rate of tries he has already produced, the try assist in his debut showed me more than Mansour has in about 5 years. The speed for the initial break, the ability to control his pace perfectly for the support player to catch up to him and then the perfect pass to finish it all off. Compare that to the forward pass from Mansour in the preliminary final lol

panthersam

Juniors
I can see the argument for experience but Staines is a must. Our backline has been unbalanced for too long with no one who is genuinely fast. Sauce might still have a few good years but the current arrangement is so much better for us, Souths and Mansour.

A lot of people have been touching on the experience factor going into season 2021 but I just want to raise a few points to counteract that which I don’t think has been spoken enough about.

1. The hunger and drive that our team will have to go one better next season and win the big one. These players won’t just forget about how last season played out, they will want to amend what I’m sure they feel like was a royal stuff up - this is where I think the youth can play a factor, it really shouldn’t be hard to use the end of last season as motivation to keep these boys firing.

2. The bond that some of our players have is something you very rarely see in a sporting team (especially the Mt Druitt connection but even the team as a whole). These boys look like they would die for each other, and I’m saying that quite literally lol it would be so hard to juggle various different levels of ego in a sporting organisation but that part of it really doesn’t seem to be an issue that we look close to having.

Experience is important too, but we plenty of experience throughout the squad. Enough to sacrifice some players to keep others that look like they could be something very special.

betcats

Referee

Forget the strike rate of tries he has already produced, the try assist in his debut showed me more than Mansour has in about 5 years. The speed for the initial break, the ability to control his pace perfectly for the support player to catch up to him and then the perfect pass to finish it all off. Compare that to the forward pass from Mansour in the preliminary final lol

Yep he made that pass with ease, that was the most impressive part of his debut for mine. Sauce is a great guy but he never stopped making rookie errors. He got pinged more than once last season for not playing the ball straight, there was like a whole month he was bit crooked, every time he got tackled i was expecting him to get pinged for it again.

WestyLife

First Grade
A lot of people have been touching on the experience factor going into season 2021 but I just want to raise a few points to counteract that which I don’t think has been spoken enough about.

1. The hunger and drive that our team will have to go one better next season and win the big one. These players won’t just forget about how last season played out, they will want to amend what I’m sure they feel like was a royal stuff up - this is where I think the youth can play a factor, it really shouldn’t be hard to use the end of last season as motivation to keep these boys firing.

2. The bond that some of our players have is something you very rarely see in a sporting team (especially the Mt Druitt connection but even the team as a whole). These boys look like they would die for each other, and I’m saying that quite literally lol it would be so hard to juggle various different levels of ego in a sporting organisation but that part of it really doesn’t seem to be an issue that we look close to having.

Experience is important too, but we plenty of experience throughout the squad. Enough to sacrifice some players to keep others that look like they could be something very special.

Yeah I said this in the thread about where we will end up when it got mentioned>

Leadership:

Koroisau: 127 games including finals/GF winner.

Cleary: 100 games Including finals/GF + 8 SOO

Yeo: 148 games including finals/GF + SOO

Fish: 110 games including finals/GF + international rep

martielang

Bench
I can see the argument for experience but Staines is a must. Our backline has been unbalanced for too long with no one who is genuinely fast. Sauce might still have a few good years but the current arrangement is so much better for us, Souths and Mansour.

We made a GF last year & won 17 straight. The 'unbalanced' backline thing has been blown way out of proportion. Not every team needs to play the same way which was proven last year. What we lacked in speed, we gained in other areas where other teams were vulnerable. We didn't lose the GF because we lacked speed in our backline, we lost the GF because it was our worst performance of the season.

martielang

Bench
Wanting to keep Mansour over Staines is astounding to me. I see so many more positives for Staines going forward as opposed to a player like Mansour, especially at the respective stages of both careers.

Not sure why it's so astounding. The only ruling factor for you seems to be potential. I'm keeping Mansour (or Tamou) over Staines more so for what they bring off the field - culture, leadership, although they are still contributing on it.

panthersam

Juniors
We made a GF last year & won 17 straight. The 'unbalanced' backline thing has been blown way out of proportion. Not every team needs to play the same way which was proven last year. What we lacked in speed, we gained in other areas where other teams were vulnerable. We didn't lose the GF because we lacked speed in our backline, we lost the GF because it was our worst performance of the season.

I agree that it was definitely our worst performance of the season and that is the reason we didn’t win the game, but Staines speed could have genuinely made a difference with both the Vunivalu and Papi tries in that game.

panthersam

Juniors
Not sure why it's so astounding. The only ruling factor for you seems to be potential. I'm keeping Mansour (or Tamou) over Staines more so for what they bring off the field - culture, leadership, although they are still contributing on it.

If that’s what you’ve gotten out of all my posts so far then that’s fine, but I think it’s pretty clear I’m speaking on more than just potential lol my last post I spoke about the try assist of Staines in his debut - he didn’t potentially produce that bit of magic, it actually happened?

WestyLife

First Grade

I disagree. With the rest of the team as it was a guy like Staines on the wing makes that team even better. Nothing saying we win the GF either way and it's not about being the same as everyone else. It's about having a hole in the roster. Swap To'o for Mansour if you must since they are the same roughly but to deprive the team of what it's desperately needed for years is a bit too far for me.

franklin2323

Immortal

Unless we want to end up like the Cowboys of 2017 we need to evolve. Adding speed is part of that

Fangs

Coach
If we were to keep Mansour I would have released To'o.

Staines has enormous potential and will challenge to be our long-term fullback.

hindy111

Post Whore
Mansour got mentioned somewhere.

You said we lost one of the most promising juniors the club has developed. While true we also kept a bunch as well is the point. All those player were developed by Panthers and get re-signed this year.

The forwards aren't as good in terms of depth but we've got some of the better top 17 props in fish and Lenui with the rest being solid squad fillers. I could be wrong but it seems people want something that isn't possible in a salary cap comp unless you cheat.

We were spoiled last year because a lot of the roster was so cheap due to being first year rookies essentially. Even Luai who's been here a while would've needed a reasonable upgrade after being a top 5 half last year.

As for the defensive thing it's definitely a potential issue although Ivan had a worse tigers roster beat Roosters and Storm x2 purely on being defensively sound.

The forwards aren't as deep but Capewell missed most the season and Soencer was only being groomed. He potentially could go from your worse forward in the side last season to one of the best.....