What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

panthersam

Juniors
It's like talking to my mrs with you blokes. You're looking at it pure as playing ability. If I was to keep Tamou/Mansour, playing ability isn't my main reason for keeping one of them.

In regards to Naden, looking like a sure bet he'll be a long term option.....

Couldn’t we just say the same about you looking at it purely being what he brings off the field? What’s not to say that the players kept have a tighter bond than Josh and the playing group? Every chance that the young Polynesian/Maori players get more ‘off the field’ from JFH than they do from Josh Mansour, but this is information we can have no idea about.

If we want to evolve as a team we need to move on from Sauce with his obvious shortcomings on the field which should be the biggest factor in all of this.

Josh hasn’t been a saint in all of this either, his Danny Weidler interview after being told he wouldn’t start the year in first grade (NOT being told that he wouldn’t get paid his full contract, which he still would have by all accounts) is a strike against him in my eyes.

WestyLife

First Grade
It's like talking to my mrs with you blokes. You're looking at it pure as playing ability. If I was to keep Tamou/Mansour, playing ability isn't my main reason for keeping one of them.

In regards to Naden, looking like a sure bet he'll be a long term option.....

Your argument makes perfect sense. It just discounts the experience gained from players such as Cleary, Yeo and Fish and also that experience only accounts for so much as demonstrated with teams like Dragons/Cowboys etc.

panthersam

Juniors
The Roosters probably had the most ‘experience’ of any other team last year and they all looked tired and beaten by the end of it all.

We have more than enough experienced first grade players in our team to not have to hold onto a winger who can’t jump, has terrible hands and can’t make a simple pass. I feel like I’m repeating myself but his strengths on the field have now been more than covered.

martielang

Bench
Couldn’t we just say the same about you looking at it purely being what he brings off the field? What’s not to say that the players kept have a tighter bond than Josh and the playing group? Every chance that the young Polynesian/Maori players get more ‘off the field’ from JFH than they do from Josh Mansour, but this is information we can have no idea about.

If we want to evolve as a team we need to move on from Sauce with his obvious shortcomings on the field which should be the biggest factor in all of this.

Josh hasn’t been a saint in all of this either, his Danny Weidler interview after being told he wouldn’t start the year in first grade (NOT being told that he wouldn’t get paid his full contract, which he still would have by all accounts) is a strike against him in my eyes.

I'm not turning this into another Mansour argument. I was just asked who I would've kept & at what expense, & gave my reasons why.

BxTom

Bench
I'm not turning this into another Mansour argument. I was just asked who I would've kept & at what expense, & gave my reasons why.
Unfortunately the salary cap is a reality (except for the rorters) and we can't keep them all. The only worry I have about Staines is injuries. Especially when our own head of performance shows concern about them (but he's probably old and disgruntled too). I note that the lockjaw problem was addressed and largely dispelled.

"Knowles backs Staines "with no hesitation" to crack 4.85 seconds over 40 metres, but is wary of pushing him unnecessarily given the recurring hamstring injuries the youngster copped last year".
(https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2021/02/15/staines-swaps-forbes-for-the-fast-lane/)

WestyLife

First Grade
Unfortunately the salary cap is a reality (except for the rorters) and we can't keep them all. The only worry I have about Staines is injuries. Especially when our own head of performance shows concern about them (but he's probably old and disgruntled too). I note that the lockjaw problem was addressed and largely dispelled.

"Knowles backs Staines "with no hesitation" to crack 4.85 seconds over 40 metres, but is wary of pushing him unnecessarily given the recurring hamstring injuries the youngster copped last year".
(https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2021/02/15/staines-swaps-forbes-for-the-fast-lane/)

I remember that. Bit of a concern if they aren't 100% confident. During a game he'll have to push himself.

betcats

Referee

Yeah but you keep saying we turfed every senior player but out of our pack Martin is 23 and Leniu is 20 the rest are 25 or older. They aren't young guys anymore. Leota has 81 games under his belt and he had a great season, he should be ready for a starting role until Leniu is ready. Jimmys leadership in the pack will need to be replaced by Yeo and Fish. The depth players we brought in for the pack so far are 27 and 28, its still a young side but I think most of it is in the backline. 1-7 is is under 25 besides maybe Nado if he ends up with a spot.

Edit: I understand Sauce is a great personality and he was popular and experienced but I dont see how that is worth losing a talent like Staines.

Last edited:

BxTom

Bench
Your argument makes perfect sense. It just discounts the experience gained from players such as Cleary, Yeo and Fish and also that experience only accounts for so much as demonstrated with teams like Dragons/Cowboys etc.
It's all good that those players have experience, but that doesn't make Staines (for example) more experienced. In a tight situation he's not going to stop and ask for advice is he.And I am not knocking Staines, it is just part of the normal transition that a new player to any team goes through. Mansour, Tamou and other experienced players were never going to last forever so there will always be younger less experienced players filling the void at times..

BxTom

Bench
I remember that. Bit of a concern if they aren't 100% confident. During a game he'll have to push himself.
Like you, I hope he goes great, but as you say, it is a concern. But all NRL is a gamble - that's part of the unpredictability of sport. He might go through his whole career without injury for all we know.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Im sure he is. He just isnt happy with our management he has been critical of pretty much every management decision since Gus left.

I adored many of the things Gus did. In later years though at times his judgement became clouded, and he became almost a parody of himself.

Gus would 'fall in love with players' Tamou, Merrin good examples of this, Reg another.

Then just as quickly fall 'out of love with them'. I like the idea of a rentention committee where things can be rationally sorted out using due processes. Rentention and re-signing isn't great (I believe) if left to one man,

Without Gus we wouldn't have the academy, the pathways for juniors and a relarively stable front office. Gus served his term well. But it was time for him to move on.

WestyLife

First Grade
It's all good that those players have experience, but that doesn't make Staines (for example) more experienced. In a tight situation he's not going to stop and ask for advice is he.And I am not knocking Staines, it is just part of the normal transition that a new player to any team goes through. Mansour, Tamou and other experienced players were never going to last forever so there will always be younger less experienced players filling the void at times..

Exactly there will always be more and less experienced players in a team. We just have to hope the balance is right. Good thing is the key positions are are more experienced players.

Any more news of where Capewell plays in Rd1? I assume he starts on an Edge, but have heard also he’ll be on the bench. Also, there were rumours on here saying Rodwell will sign with you guys. I was under the impression he was signing with us. He looks pretty good regardless.

betcats

Referee
Any more news of where Capewell plays in Rd1? I assume he starts on an Edge, but have heard also he’ll be on the bench. Also, there were rumours on here saying Rodwell will sign with you guys. I was under the impression he was signing with us. He looks pretty good regardless.

I think Capewell starts on the bench barring an injury, no reason to move Martin at this stage.

franklin2323

Immortal
Shock me, but those figures seem very inflated/deflated to suit one side of the argument... & we'd offered Tamou another 1 year, so we could afford to keep him without any other outs.

@panthersam You're basing Staines' trajectory/career on 2 games, that's why I still think it's potential. Sure they were (very) impressive but we were extremely dominant in both those games, he's really yet to be seriously tested nor play in a game where Mansours strengths would've shined. Also if we're using that small a sample we could also say he's going to be injured 80% of the time.

FWIW no one can argue that Staines looks anything but serious talent but IMO I'm just not sure turfing every senior player after a minor taste of success is the way I'd go. Whether it's Tamou or Mansour, I would of kept one of them at the likely expense of Staines.

An article had him as 35 top paid player in the comp. It was a DT article so needs to be taken with a grain of salt but it is all we have really.

This year wasn't the issue it was for next season when the inflated deals come in for guys like Crichton and Leinu etc.

We didn't just turf the Senior guys for Staines. Pretty much everyone in the top 17 has been re-signed over the last couple of years so it pushes guys out

martielang

Bench
Yeah but you keep saying we turfed every senior player but out of our pack Martin is 23 and Leniu is 20 the rest are 25 or older. They aren't young guys anymore. Leota has 81 games under his belt and he had a great season, he should be ready for a starting role until Leniu is ready. Jimmys leadership in the pack will need to be replaced by Yeo and Fish. The depth players we brought in for the pack so far are 27 and 28, its still a young side but I think most of it is in the backline. 1-7 is is under 25 besides maybe Nado if he ends up with a spot.

Edit: I understand Sauce is a great personality and he was popular and experienced but I dont see how that is worth losing a talent like Staines.

We lost our most 3 senior players (or 4 if you count Tetevano) in one off season. Regardless of the ages of other players or the quality of other players, there's definitely an element of risk involved in our approach this season. I'm definitely not saying its not possible to win the comp or we're nailed on for the wooden spoon, that's just my area of concern. I'm sure some in the club hold the same opinion.

Beep beep beep beep beep...

Smuglite alert operational, all systems go;

2B1CA468-A604-46AE-9F64-4D2B989F37EC.jpeg
Laurie notes the kind welcome from Big Jim and Blorey on the training camp bus.

What this means is that the deal was done well before it was announced.

And there’s Huth and Momo whinging on against the Tigers once they had left whereas Laurie was very polite and professional about playing for smug. Kind hearted, leadership material and straight into fullback.

You make sure you give the ungracious Huth and Momo a hard time. No game time for them Ivan. Momos good for a trade though.

Thank you for your attention, we now return you to regular smug broadcasting.

Have a happy day.

Last edited: