What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norman suspended

jeffdragon

Bench
Corey fined 20k and suspended for two games .
One game suspended.for 12 months.
Personal feelings about norman aside what do you think fair?
Who goes in Clune,Sullivan?
Doesn't say if he can serve it in charity shield?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think a week is fair, I have heard the story in regards to racism that may be true or may not be we will never really know. They can't really go out and publicly say there are situations you are allowed to fight so I guess they had to do something. A good chance to try out Clune/Hunt, or Sullivan/Hunt for a week anyway to see how they go.

ALSGI

Bench
Bearing in mind that this follows an NRL investigation.......with details that we’ll not know about.....not a fan of the governing body but how the hell can we know what happened on the night.

Enter Sullivan.

Suspensions only served in Proper Nrl games not trials - hence Blacker allowed to play v Eels.

TruSaint

Referee

Its an interesting one, and I will try and keep my opinion of Norman aside.

If the incident mentioned in the press was correct, then why the penalty ? I can only assume the Club knows more about what went on that we are being told.

Otherwise, why fine/drop him ?

TruSaint

Referee
It was the NRL, my mistake.

NRL issues ban and $20,000 fine to Norman over street fight

Corey Norman is facing the prospect of missing the start of the season and a fine of $20,000 after the NRL sanctioned the Dragons five-eighth for his involvement in a street fight.

The NRL on Saturday announced the St George Illawarra playmaker had been served a breach notice which alleges he brought the game into disrepute after his involvement in a fight on a Cronulla street on Friday, January 22.

PNG international James Segeyaro was also involved in the incident but is not a registered NRL player.

Under the terms of the sanctions, it is proposed Norman receives a $20,000 fine and a two-game ban with one of those matches suspended for 12 months. Norman must also undergo education and training.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said he had taken into account the degree of provocation in determining the proposed penalty.

"We accept there was a degree of provocation which led to the incident, but as a game we have been very clear that provocation is not an excuse to engage in a street fight," he said.

"Our players are role models for younger people in our community and they need to set the example for how to respond in such circumstances.

"We will always support our players who are subject to any form of abuse, but any form of violence is not an acceptable response."

Norman has until next Friday to respond to the breach notice.

The Dragons issued a statement on Saturday to say they would "work closely with Corey over the coming week to determine a position on the breach notice imposed".

The 29-year-old former Maroons representative, who has played 206 matches in the NRL, is off contract at the end of the season after joining the Dragons in 2019 following stints at Parramatta and Brisbane.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/20/nrl-issues-ban-and--$20000-fine-to-norman-over-street-fight/

ALSGI

Bench
Well it’s hard to put personal opinions of Norman aside, and I’m sure his history would have been taken into account as well as his company that night.

I would thinks Dragons would surely have some grounds to piss him off now?

TruSaint

Referee
Well it’s hard to put personal opinions of Norman aside, and I’m sure his history would have been taken into account as well as his company that night.

Cant see it mate.

Will end up with another court case i would think.

ALSGI

Bench
Cant see it mate.

Will end up with another court case i would think.
Yeah I know what you’re saying mate but if NRL investigate then fine him $20k, and suspend him that tells me he definitely did something fairly seriously wrong, no?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I don't think it is a serious incident but the racism claim could just have been a convenient excuse, what better way to get out of shit in 2021. Then again they could be 100% telling the truth. Either way it was a nothing incident that the NRL really don't know exactly what happened and probably don't care that much. The story given doesn't really hurt the NRL image so that suits them and they have to be seen to do something so they give a very minimal ban that the club and Norman will easily just cop on the chin, especially given the depth we suddenly have in the halves.

Reactions: jak

TruSaint

Referee
Yeah I know what you’re saying mate but if NRL investigate then fine him $20k, and suspend him that tells me he definitely did something fairly seriously wrong, no?

One would think so but reading the comments from the NRL, its a bit vague.

"We accept there was a degree of provocation which led to the incident, but as a game we have been very clear that provocation is not an excuse to engage in a street fight," he said.

"Our players are role models for younger people in our community and they need to set the example for how to respond in such circumstances.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I don't know the facts of this case but I'm not a fan of Abdo. From what I've seen he seems to shift with public opinion. I don't know if this a fair outcome or Abdo doing his best to make the NRL look spotless.

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_darkscreen2.jpeg

DRAGONS

Dragons statement: Corey Norman
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 20 Feb 2021, 08:29 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra have received a breach notice from the NRL Integrity Unit regarding an altercation involving Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman in January.

The notice dictates Norman be fined $20,000 and suspended for two matches (with one game suspended).

The Dragons will work closely with Corey over the coming week to determine a position on the breach notice imposed.

The club will make no further comment.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/20/dragons-statement-corey-norman/

getsmarty

Immortal
Corey Norman suspended by NRL for Dragons season opener after fight

r0_0_3656_2437_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Put the feet up: Corey Norman. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images
Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has another first-round selection headache after the NRL imposed a breach notice with a one-game suspension on playmaker Corey Norman after a fight at Cronulla in January.

Norman will also be fined $20,000 and given a second game ban, which will be held over him for 12 months rather then immediately enforced.

He will also have to take NRL-imposed education programs because of the incident.

"We accept there was a degree of provocation which led to the incident, but as a game we have been very clear that provocation is not an excuse to engage in a street fight,'' NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said.

"We will always support our players who are subject to any form of abuse, but any form of violence is not an acceptable response."

In a statement, St George Illawarra said "the Dragons will work closely with Corey over the coming week to determine a position on the breach notice imposed".

Norman and new captain Ben Hunt had been expected to be the round one halves partnership, but now Griffin will now have to retain Adam Clune, who was a standout in a 2019 campaign where the Dragons finished 12th, or emerging talent Jayden Sullivan.

Hunt was named as Dragons captain on Friday, replacing Cameron McInnes, who suffered an anterior cruciate ligament knee injury at training and will miss the season.

McInnes has signed a four-year deal to join Cronulla starting next season.

The Dragons meet the Sharks in round one at Kogarah on Sunday, March 14.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ragons-nrl-season-opener-after-fight/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
It does seem to me that it will be Hunt 7 and Sullivan 6 for round one however, there is a slim possibility it could be a Max Feagai 4. Bird 6 and Hunt 7.

If there is a possibility to sack Norman in relation to this breach, then the Dragons should do so. In this way we could better hone in our halves combination this year and have extra cap to purchase an edge forward for 2021 and beyond. I'd go for Creighton from the Roosters; even though he is under contract.

kit66

Bench
It does seem to me that it will be Hunt 7 and Sullivan 6 for round one however, there is a slim possibility it could be a Max Feagai 4. Bird 6 and Hunt 7.

If there is a possibility to sack Norman in relation to this breach, then the Dragons should do so. In this way we could better hone in our halves combination this year and have extra cap to purchase an edge forward for 2021 and beyond. I'd go for Creighton from the Roosters; even though he is under contract.

I was thinking the same possm except judging by the trials so far Hook seems to like Williame in the centres - a step down from Aitken in my opinion.

I thought Norman would get 2 - 4 weeks and a fine but one week will do. I'd love to see Sullivan in the 6 but Hook will we looking for a first up win and reckoning on experienced players to deliver one.

hewi

Bench
Don’t think it’s enough for him to be sacked. Putting aside what happened I had been hoping for 4 weeks and Sullivan to take ownership of the number 6 spot.

Latest posts