What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

<.....> Dolphins?

They’ve stated that they won’t be using “Redcliffe” in the club name

So if the Dolphins bid is successful, what should they put in their name before Dolphins?

“Brisbane Dolphins”, “River City Dolphins” and “Sunshine State Dolphins” were mentioned in the short news segment I watched, I ‘m pretty sure I’ve also heard them say they could just be known as The Dolphins.

They have also applied for a trademark on the name “Brisbane Dolphins” but have confirmed that it might not be the name they use when submitting their bid to the NRL.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
East Coast Dolphins.
South Queensland Dolphins.
Sunshine Coast Dolphins.
Sunshine State Dolphins.
Bay City Dolphins.
North Brisbane Dolphins.
North Lakes Dolphins.
Brisbane Bay Dolphins.
Golden State Dolphins.
Moreton Bay Dolphins.
Golden Bay Dolphins.
Queensland Dolphins.
Northgate Dolphins.
Northern River Dolphins.

MugaB

Coach
I like Moreton Bay Dolphins, but would be cool with Brisbane too. Sunshine State sounds like a tourist advertising pitch and both River City and Sunshine State are way too vague. I think it needs to be an actual location.
It has to be vague to attract both brisbane city residents aswell as areas between Redcliffe and Suncorp, and the areas around them otherwise Redcliffe is already an actual location, but they've already said they'll only be training there with the odd one off game, and majority at Suncorp

The Great Dane

First Grade
It won’t make a lick of difference what they call themselves. As long as they keep the Dolphins brand changing their name won’t change the perception that they are “Redcliffe’s” club, and that perception is all that matters.

Even the commentators will probably continue to refer to them as Redcliffe for decades to come, just like they still refer to the Tigers as Balmain from time to time.

Last edited:

Santino Patane

Juniors
It has to be vague to attract both brisbane city residents aswell as areas between Redcliffe and Suncorp, and the areas around them otherwise Redcliffe is already an actual location, but they've already said they'll only be training there with the odd one off game, and majority at Suncorp
What I meant from not being vague is actual place names, not made up like River City. There is an actual Moreton Bay that incorporates most of Greater Brisbane, and it was the original name for the area. I also agree it shouldn’t be narrow in location as well to ensure broader appeal around greater Brisbane.

Even SEQ Dolphins?? It just doesn’t roll off the tongue though....

What I meant from not being vague is actual place names, not made up like River City. There is an actual Moreton Bay that incorporates most of Greater Brisbane, and it was the original name for the area. I also agree it shouldn’t be narrow in location as well to ensure broader appeal around greater Brisbane.

Even SEQ Dolphins?? It just doesn’t roll off the tongue though....
That's the reason I like Moreton Bay. It has history that predates RL. The first settlement in Queensland was known as Moreton. This detail can be promoted by the club to get people from all over the area to support the team. The fact the Dolphins were around long before the Broncos showed up can also be used as a marketing point. A third team called Logan would be the icing on the cake, as Captain Patrick Logan was instrumental in keeping the Moreton settlement alive when there were plans to dismantle it. There are many locations on the southern side of Brisbane named after Captain Logan.

Brisbane Broncos
Moreton Bay Dolphins
Logan Diehards

ash the bash

Juniors
Moreton Bay Dolphins
South Queensland (SQ Dolphins) Dolphins
Brisbane Dolphins
Sunshine State Dolphins

Feel they will go with Brisbane Dolphins, personal preference would be MBD or SQD. River City Dolphins is the worst.

East Coast Dolphins.
South Queensland Dolphins.
Sunshine Coast Dolphins.
Sunshine State Dolphins.
Bay City Dolphins.
North Brisbane Dolphins.
North Lakes Dolphins.
Brisbane Bay Dolphins.
Golden State Dolphins.
Moreton Bay Dolphins.
Golden Bay Dolphins.
Queensland Dolphins.
Northgate Dolphins.
Northern River Dolphins.

I'd prefer South Queensland Dolphins. "Compliments" North Queensland Cowboys.

The only thing is that Brisbane and the Gold Coast are effectively located in South Queensland. I don't have an issue with it, but they might.

Of the others, Moreton Bay also sounds ok enough. I like Sunshine Coast Dolphins but that's further north of Redcliffe??

I think whatever they choose it has to effectively represent the region. Not a newly made up name, nor something that's limited. So Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast (established/recognised names) would be names that suffice.

MugaB

Coach

The only thing is that Brisbane and the Gold Coast are effectively located in South Queensland. I don't have an issue with it, but they might.

Of the others, Moreton Bay also sounds ok enough. I like Sunshine Coast Dolphins but that's further north of Redcliffe??

I think whatever they choose it has to effectively represent the region. Not a newly made up name, nor something that's limited. So Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast (established/recognised names) would be names that suffice.
Only problem with that is that your playing at Suncorp, so being "Moreton Bay" or "Sunshine coast" doesn't work, yes it identifies with a real location but its not broad enough to where you're playing at, an example is Manly sea eagles playing home games at Homebush, represents northern beaches/suburbs but if it was called North Sydney Sea Eagles, that would suit it for the area and the location of home stadium.

As for my picks, I'd be going South Queensland, East Coast, or Sunshine State Dolphins, all three don't pigeon hole the team to a specific location and can play out of Sunshine Coast Stadium, Brisbanes Suncorp stadium and Redcliffe Stadium without either alienating fans and representing a far greater area in SEQ than redcliffe and its surrounding area..

Northgate is also the postal region between Redcliffe and Brisbane City so "Northgate Dolphins"
also "Northern Suburbs" Dolphins could also work, and has that North Sydney Bears or Eastern Suburbs Roosters ring to it.
Main idea is to BE the 2nd Suncorp team regardless of being affiliated with redcliffe or moreton bay, so the name needs to reflect more than all three

Perth Red

Post Whore
For the sake of repeating myself, their active supporter base will come from a 25km radius of Suncorp. The name has to appeal to that radius.

Only problem with that is that your playing at Suncorp, so being "Moreton Bay" or "Sunshine coast" doesn't work, yes it identifies with a real location but its not broad enough to where you're playing at, an example is Manly sea eagles playing home games at Homebush, represents northern beaches/suburbs but if it was called North Sydney Sea Eagles, that would suit it for the area and the location of home stadium.

As for my picks, I'd be going South Queensland, East Coast, or Sunshine State Dolphins, all three don't pigeon hole the team to a specific location and can play out of Sunshine Coast Stadium, Brisbanes Suncorp stadium and Redcliffe Stadium without either alienating fans and representing a far greater area in SEQ than redcliffe and its surrounding area..

Northgate is also the postal region between Redcliffe and Brisbane City so "Northgate Dolphins"
also "Northern Suburbs" Dolphins could also work, and has that North Sydney Bears or Eastern Suburbs Roosters ring to it.
Main idea is to BE the 2nd Suncorp team regardless of being affiliated with redcliffe or moreton bay, so the name needs to reflect more than all three

Or...

Like South Sydney playing out of Homebush...

But good points. Indeed I like South Queensland myself, coverage and compliments North Queensland.

But simply going with the Brisbane Dolphins would be fine with me too. It’s a specific / recognised regional reference point. Anything that meets this would be fine with me.

But it’s the fans and people in Qld that it needs to satisfy more than me.

MugaB

Coach
Or...

Like South Sydney playing out of Homebush...

But good points. Indeed I like South Queensland myself, coverage and compliments North Queensland.

But simply going with the Brisbane Dolphins would be fine with me too. It’s a specific / recognised regional reference point. Anything that meets this would be fine with me.

But it’s the fans and people in Qld that it needs to satisfy more than me.
Exactly, in saying all that though, dolphins bid has also stated they will incorporate a 3rd color to their traditional red and white, if they end up with "Sunshine State Dolphins" as the name you'd think it would have to be a gold or yellow

Merge Easts and Redcliffe and name the team East Coast Dolphins. Catchment includes, Moreton Bay, eastern suburbs of Brisbane and Logan. Two big Leagues club providing support.

Exactly, in saying all that though, dolphins bid has also stated they will incorporate a 3rd color to their traditional red and white, if they end up with "Sunshine State Dolphins" as the name you'd think it would have to be a gold or yellow

Yep a gold or yellow would compliment that well. And avoid a full clash with the dragons.

I reckon silver would look good too (full name aside). It’ll look far better on modern jerseys than when it was last tried for the giants / seagulls. Think the Raiders of the NFL. That kind of finish, not the “matte cotton”

mongoose

Coach

Sunshine Coast is 100km north of Brisbane CBD and is a completely different city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep a gold or yellow would compliment that well. And avoid a full clash with the dragons.

I reckon silver would look good too (full name aside). It’ll look far better on modern jerseys than when it was last tried for the giants / seagulls. Think the Raiders of the NFL. That kind of finish, not the “matte cotton”

They already use silver/grey to some degree in their merch and logo. Personally I'd drop the white (already have St's in red and white) and go red and silver with maybe black as a third minor colour usage on piping etc. Or if they are insisting on sticking with red and white turn it around and go a different style than their traditional V and maybe go with a Hull KR style red band on white jersey (something like this one they have used before).a548da6476b88b31016d4b766d8a488f.jpg