What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

Joseph Suaalii may not be the only rookie teen sensation from The King’s School to make his NRL debut this year.

Suaalii’s good friend Will Penisini has done nothing but impress his Parramatta teammates in pre-season training, prompting skipper Clint Gutherson to declare: “The sky is the limit for him.”

a31260496f93e759c152a031123db4ad7b477503

Hot prospect: Eels rookie William Penisini.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS

Turning 19 in July, Penisini has spent time training in Michael Jennings’ left-centre position and scored a try in the Eels’ trial against St George Illawarra last Thursday night.

Just as the Roosters have been ultra protective of Suaalii, Parramatta are mindful of placing too much public expectation on Penisini, especially given he is still on a development contract and unlikely to be given his shot at first grade until the second half of the season.

Eels coach Brad Arthur has never been one to bring through a player before he is ready. Tom Opacic and Michael Oldfield, who is nursing a minor knee injury, are two players standing in Penisini’s way. But judging by Penisini’s rugby highlights reel – and the love from the Parramatta playing group – The King’s School graduate will give Arthur plenty to think about.

Penisini is expected to spend some time on the ground against Penrith in the club’s final trial this weekend.

“Will is a great kid, he wants to learn and he’s lucky he’s got some great players out there to help him,” Gutherson said.

“He’s come from King’s, which is a good rugby school, but he chose to stay with us. He’s a big boy – he’s not small for 18 – and the sky is the limit for him. You never know when the right time is to debut a kid. I’m sure if his time comes this year, he’ll take it with both hands.”

Five-eighth Dylan Brown came from a rugby background and said he respected Penisini’s path to Parramatta.

“He’s a freak, he’s confident, he’s so smart, he has the looks, the face for it – he will do some big things,” Brown said. “Will isn’t in the limelight, and he doesn’t need to be, and I’m sure Brad won’t throw him in too soon. We’ve got Waqa Blake, we’ve got Tom Opacic. The good thing is we have these kids pushing us.”

Jennings remains provisionally suspended after returning a positive to the banned substance Ligandrol on the eve of last year’s semi-final against South Sydney.

Winger Maika Sivo said he had learnt a lot playing outside Jennings the past two years and “we connected on and off the field”.

As for what Sivo does beyond this season remains a mystery with the Eels cult hero understood to have received inquiries from at least two French rugby clubs. Sivo is 27 and knows he can make better money overseas in the code he grew up playing. His current deal, worth about $350,000, could be almost doubled abroad.

But Sivo also loves the NRL and the Eels who took a punt on him when unwanted by Penrith and then coach Anthony Griffin.

Avenger

Immortal
^^^

Joseph Suaalii may not be the only rookie teen sensation from The King’s School to make his NRL debut this year.

Suaalii’s good friend Will Penisini has done nothing but impress his Parramatta teammates in pre-season training, prompting skipper Clint Gutherson to declare: “The sky is the limit for him.”

a31260496f93e759c152a031123db4ad7b477503

Hot prospect: Eels rookie William Penisini.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS

Turning 19 in July, Penisini has spent time training in Michael Jennings’ left-centre position and scored a try in the Eels’ trial against St George Illawarra last Thursday night.

Just as the Roosters have been ultra protective of Suaalii, Parramatta are mindful of placing too much public expectation on Penisini, especially given he is still on a development contract and unlikely to be given his shot at first grade until the second half of the season.

Eels coach Brad Arthur has never been one to bring through a player before he is ready. Tom Opacic and Michael Oldfield, who is nursing a minor knee injury, are two players standing in Penisini’s way. But judging by Penisini’s rugby highlights reel – and the love from the Parramatta playing group – The King’s School graduate will give Arthur plenty to think about.

Penisini is expected to spend some time on the ground against Penrith in the club’s final trial this weekend.

“Will is a great kid, he wants to learn and he’s lucky he’s got some great players out there to help him,” Gutherson said.

“He’s come from King’s, which is a good rugby school, but he chose to stay with us. He’s a big boy – he’s not small for 18 – and the sky is the limit for him. You never know when the right time is to debut a kid. I’m sure if his time comes this year, he’ll take it with both hands.”

Five-eighth Dylan Brown came from a rugby background and said he respected Penisini’s path to Parramatta.

“He’s a freak, he’s confident, he’s so smart, he has the looks, the face for it – he will do some big things,” Brown said. “Will isn’t in the limelight, and he doesn’t need to be, and I’m sure Brad won’t throw him in too soon. We’ve got Waqa Blake, we’ve got Tom Opacic. The good thing is we have these kids pushing us.”

Jennings remains provisionally suspended after returning a positive to the banned substance Ligandrol on the eve of last year’s semi-final against South Sydney.

Winger Maika Sivo said he had learnt a lot playing outside Jennings the past two years and “we connected on and off the field”.

As for what Sivo does beyond this season remains a mystery with the Eels cult hero understood to have received inquiries from at least two French rugby clubs. Sivo is 27 and knows he can make better money overseas in the code he grew up playing. His current deal, worth about $350,000, could be almost doubled abroad.

But Sivo also loves the NRL and the Eels who took a punt on him when unwanted by Penrith and then coach Anthony Griffin.
I wouldn't be buying an expensive centre with this kid potentially filling the void for many years. Saw him play in the trial v the Dragons. You can tell the kid has class.

Avenger

Immortal

Parramatta playmaker Mitchell Moses has professed his love for the Eels and his desire to repay the faith they have placed in him as he prepares to make a big call over his plans for next season and beyond.

Moses has an option in his favour at the end of 2021 and the Eels are keen to tie him down to a longer-term deal. Asked about his plans, Moses provided the strongest indication yet that he would like to stay, although he knows better than most that nothing is certain in the rugby league world.

There was a time when he imagined spending his career at Wests Tigers, only to depart in acrimonious circumstances midway through 2017. He went close to joining Canterbury before landing on his feet at Parramatta.

“I obviously want to stay at the club — I love the club so much,” Moses said.

“They have looked after me and shown faith in me. I have told them (my management) what is going on and it needs to stay between me and them.

“Like I said, I want to stay. Hopefully we get something sorted. We have a core group there and hopefully we can lock everyone up, stay together and add some quality players alongside that.

“It is something I want to be part of and hopefully we can get it sorted.”

Moses’ immediate priority is rediscovering his running game and ensuring the Eels make a fast start when the premiership begins next month.

As the club’s opening game against Brisbane looms, Moses has been urged to find balance in his game by former Queensland and Test halfback Cooper Cronk, who suggested the Eels half had concentrated too much last season on game management at the expensive of his greatest strength.

“Parramatta have invested in Mitchell and he has shown in the past he has the game to lead them,” Cronk said.

“I don’t know Mitchell, I haven’t worked him, but he was a runner and an instinctive player. Then he learnt how to game manage last year — that probably took away from his instincts and creativity.

“That is what playing halfback is. You have to be able to be great at different things. If you are great at just at running, the other stuff is going to let you down at some stage.

“You need to be great at a lot of things to be a premiership halfback.”

Moses is aware of the need to recalibrate his game.

“It is definitely something I want to get back in my game — my running game,” he said.

“I feel like that is the strongest part of my game. I feel like last year was going for more game-management type of role

“I feel like I have a lot of support I the team not that I don’t have to worry about that as much. I have a lot of confidence in all the other boys — Dyl (Dylan Brown) with another year under his belt, Reed (Mahoney) there, Gutho (Clint Gutherson) there playing great footy.

“They can take the pressure off me. I am still going to look to manage a game — that is the whole part of being a halfback — but I definitely want to get my running game back.

“It is a balance that I need to get in my game.”

At the age of 26, Moses is now very much a senior figure at the Eels. As such, he has taken it upon himself to pass on advice to some of the club’s emerging stars, including Jake Arthur — the son of coach Brad Arthur.

Arthur is still a teenager but made his debut in a trial game last week. At some point, he and Moses may be fighting for the same jersey.

“He is a great kid, he is still learning,” Moses said. “He has a lot of potential and it is crazy to think he is 18 the way he handles himself at training and in game situations.

“I have tried to help him out as much as possible. I was in his shoes so anywhere I can give advice or help out, I will.

“He is a big, tall thing. Once he fills out he is going to be a big boy. He is 18, you don’t want to rush it. He is very clam when he plays and nothing really phases him.

“I don’t want to put too much pressure on him because I once had it when I was 18.”

Cloeel

Juniors
More talk from Mitchy boy, time to deliver mate because young Arthur showed he could be 18 months away from being good enough at a fraction of the price.

There needs to be no rush with re-signing Moses. This is the perfect time for Parra management to sit back and watch.

Hopefully JA keeps progressing and putting pressure on Moses. Could be just what Moses needs to mature into a consistent number 7 and leader.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There needs to be no rush with re-signing Moses. This is the perfect time for Parra management to sit back and watch.
The flipside of this is that other clubs will be watching too, and some might be more desperate than us.

Whatever your thoughts on Moses' deficiencies as a player, he is one of the best general play kickers in the NRL. Our kicking game would fall to shit without him and we would win heaps fewer games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If wonga is crap this year, put him on the wing then find some centres
Wing is a more important position than centre. Though you're right, Blake could move to the wing if we lose Sivo. We could have a fairly cheap backline like this in 2022:

2. Blake
3. Opacic
4. Penisini
5. Dunster

You'd expect we'd have no problems retaining Moses, Matterson and Nrown if we went that way.

Cloeel

Juniors
The flipside of this is that other clubs will be watching too, and some might be more desperate than us.

Whatever your thoughts on Moses' deficiencies as a player, he is one of the best general play kickers in the NRL. Our kicking game would fall to shit without him and we would win heaps fewer games.

I do agree - the law of supply and demand are at play. Once again it comes down to price, who else is available at the time and the balance of the squad in terms of talent and depth.

We have built our squad around having a dominant Halfback. The responsibility that comes with this is that our number 7 has to have more to his game than off the cuff plays/instinct and kicking in general play.

Moses has played a lot of footy at Parra. If another year passes where he has not diversified his game; even with the uncertain future (this should be further motivation), it begs the question of how long do you persist? and at what price?

Like Copper Cronk said "You need to be great at a lot of things to be a premiership halfback". Yes Moses' general play kicking game is up there with the best but come end of 2021 season there needs to be more depth, leadership and growth to Mitchell Moses.

I am very much on the fence with this.

yy_cheng

Coach
Wing is a more important position than centre. Though you're right, Blake could move to the wing if we lose Sivo. We could have a fairly cheap backline like this in 2022:

2. Blake
3. Opacic
4. Penisini
5. Dunster

You'd expect we'd have no problems retaining Moses, Matterson and Nrown if we went that way.
It just gives us another option. And if he doesn't like it, soneone might take him off or hands

Latest posts