What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Jesus do you want me to draw it in crayons for you?

annual report 2020 page 110 license revenue 2019 $403,381mill
Annual report 2019 page 126 media revenue 2019 $324,595mill

Difference between new line item and media liane item =$78,786mill

Difference between new line item and media liane item =$78,786mill
Please dont use the word "Jesus" it's highly offensive to the Christian League Forum community. If you continue I may ha e to report you.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
They just changed the names on the breakdown. 2019 had two categories for revenue, oh 2020 has has two as well. Its broadcast and non-broadcast under different names. "Operations and events" is non broadcast rev which was, of course, massively down due to covid. But apparently you think NRL is raking in tens of millions from this seperate 'licensing' and Petes fudging the numbers.

"Oh 2020 doesn't list broadcast revenue so we must have none!"

I swear you are just trolling these days in anything related to NRL admin. Funny when you were shown AFLs actual fudging with there announcement in Decemeber you just stopped replying. Go back to Big Footy.

colly

Juniors

Difference between new line item and media item =$78,786mill

Well that great in 2019 the NRL was the number one in media contracts worth $403 million dollars beating the afl which had 397m- thanks for confirming this.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade

The_Wookie

Bench
They just changed the names on the breakdown. 2019 had two categories for revenue, oh 2020 has has two as well. Its broadcast and non-broadcast under different names. "Operations and events" is non broadcast rev which was, of course, massively down due to covid. But apparently you think NRL is raking in tens of millions from this seperate 'licensing' and Petes fudging the numbers.

I swear you are just trolling these days in anything related to NRL admin. Funny when you were shown AFLs actual fudging with there announcement in Decemeber you just stopped replying. Go back to Big Footy.

The 2019 NRL Annual Report lists more than 2 sources of revenue. Stensholdts article specifically cites the Concise report which normally breaks it down. This year is the first since 2012 that it hasnt.

In 2019, the NRL revenue (on page 145) was broken down as follows

DWLJr59.png

In 2020, it was broken down into only 2 categories. (page 110)

b2Mns2m.png

Even the main financial report doesnt list Broadcast revenue as its own category for the first time since 2012 as well.

bgaPPn1.png

5WTBzzk.png

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

no it’s not it’s, it’s media revenue plus other $78.8mill of other stuff!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well that great in 2019 the NRL was the number one in media contracts worth $403 million dollars beating the afl which had 397m- thanks for confirming this.

Bejeeprs, no licensing isn’t just media ffs! That’s the problem, he’s using other revenue to hide the media details.

colly

Juniors
Bejeeprs, no licensing isn’t just media ffs! That’s the problem, he’s using other revenue to hide the media details.
No it's just paying back the advance payment of 100m dollars. Last payment 2019 So now 2020 it only the coronavirus reduction. Nuff said. No notes on 2020 budget about advance but i shown you a 'note regarding the 100m in the 2019 annual report, so it's payed off, and so 403m (2019) Licensing would have been the amount media would pay minus the 55m? odd repayment of the Advance with 'interest' of coarse. Plane as mud.

The_Wookie

Bench
No it's just paying back the advance payment of 100m dollars. Last payment 2019 So now 2020 it only the coronavirus reduction. Nuff said. No notes on 2020 budget about advance but i shown you a 'note regarding the 100m in the 2019 annual report, so it's payed off, and so 403m (2019) Licensing would have been the amount media would pay minus the 55m? odd repayment of the Advance with 'interest' of coarse. Plane as mud.

I dont think this is the case - as the liability still exists on the books - I think you'll find they've rolled digital revenue, merchandising, contra and broadcast revenue all into one category.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Ah thanks @The_Wookie I didn't see the 2019 breakdown.

Im trying to add up the 2019 to figures to match the categories in the 2020 report to see whats been moved around. Broadcast + contra from 2019 was approx $350mil so 'licensing' has an extra $50mil from somewhere. The obvious one would be 'sponsorships and wagering' being lumped into 'licensing' but that would put it $33mil above the figure in the 2020 report.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The 2019 NRL Annual Report lists more than 2 sources of revenue. Stensholdts article specifically cites the Concise report which normally breaks it down. This year is the first since 2012 that it hasnt.

In 2019, the NRL revenue (on page 145) was broken down as follows

DWLJr59.png

In 2020, it was broken down into only 2 categories. (page 110)

b2Mns2m.png

Even the main financial report doesnt list Broadcast revenue as its own category for the first time since 2012 as well.

bgaPPn1.png

K

wookie do you think they have put sponsorship and wagering and media revenue together in this new licensing line item? Numbers don’t quite add up for 2019 but close enough to suggest these are the two revenue sources they have lumped together?

chiel yeh if you add the thi gs you would think would be in there it doesn’t add up to the 2019 license revenue figure they have quoted this year.all very iffy if you ask me!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

nope, that advanced payment was split across life of contract and isnt beingpaid back per se but is being taken off the annual amount Ch9 pay. Ie instead of $185mill a year they are paying the nrl $165mill a year. It still sits there as a reducing liability. $50mill was given to nrl in 2016 and same again in 2017. Clubs received a decent chit k of it and also carry a liability to the nrl on their books for this amount as they were supposed to pay it back to nrl but not sure of the terms of pay back as don’t see it mentioned in nrl accounts anywhere.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
nope, that advanced payment was split across life of contract and isnt beingpaid back per se but is being taken off the annual amount Ch9 pay. Ie instead of $185mill a year they are paying the nrl $165mill a year. It still sits there as a reducing liability. $50mill was given to nrl in 2016 and same again in 2017. Clubs received a decent chit k of it and also carry a liability to the nrl on their books for this amount as they were supposed to pay it back to nrl but not sure of the terms of pay back as don’t see it mentioned in nrl accounts anywhere.

Note from Annual report 2019
"""Consolidated total liabilities decreased by $8.1m to $151.2m due to:
» A decrease in other current payables of $8.0m due primarily to a decrease in deferred revenue as a
result of part of the $100.0m advance payment received from the broadcasters in financial years
recognised as income.
The accompanying notes form an integral part of this Statement of Consolidated Financial Position."""

page 140 141 annual report 2019

Notice that advance payment was $100 million. ( NOT the $50m you speak of Perth red) And notice they said 'broadcaster(s)' plural meaning two.
They said deferred revenue. it would make sense that Nine and Foxtel would like their money back- and the quicker the better- and i am sure they extracted something more from the deal, ie two payments of say $55m of reduced money from the broadcasters towards the NRL. So you have a note (above) on the 2019 annual NRL financial statement and nothing about the $100m at all on the 2020 NRL financial statements.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
SPOTTED

Commission chairman Peter V’landys hosting Channel 10’s co-CEO Jarrod Villani in his suite at Royal Randwick on Saturday. We told you recently about interest from the Ten and Seven networks to pinch free-to-air NRL television rights from long-time broadcasters Channel 9 when their contract finishes next year.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/ec52828446f99be1aff4d46ad150d458

can someone clarify (i wasnt paying attention at the time)...

In last years renegotiations, did the NRL only do a longer contract with FOX? I figured everything was extended and we wouldnt see new negotiations until 2027ish..,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Note from Annual report 2019
"""Consolidated total liabilities decreased by $8.1m to $151.2m due to:
» A decrease in other current payables of $8.0m due primarily to a decrease in deferred revenue as a
result of part of the $100.0m advance payment received from the broadcasters in financial years
recognised as income.
The accompanying notes form an integral part of this Statement of Consolidated Financial Position."""

page 140 141 annual report 2019

Notice that advance payment was $100 million. ( NOT the $50m you speak of Perth red) And notice they said 'broadcaster(s)' plural meaning two.
They said deferred revenue. it would make sense that Nine and Foxtel would like their money back- and the quicker the better- and i am sure they extracted something more from the deal, ie two payments of say $55m of reduced money from the broadcasters towards the NRL. So you have a note (above) on the 2019 annual NRL financial statement and nothing about the $100m at all on the 2020 NRL financial statements.

It’s not a loan deal, it’s an advanced payment. Nrl isnt paying it back they are getting a reduced annual revenue equivalent to the advanced payment split over the 5 years. The 18-22 deal was widely reported as being worth $1.8billion, equivalent of an avg of $360mill a year (plus whatever they get from sky and overseas) if you look at the 18&19 financials, first two years of the deal, you can see the amounts of revenue recognised from media deals was $341mill and $349mill respectively. Ergo there is $20odd million missing, which is the reduction due to the advanced payments received in 16&17.

colly

Juniors
There is a lot of media speculation that Nine want out of RL as they want to cut costs. They seem to think tennis, netball and rugby union will bring in the audiences for them (I think they are off their heads myself).
Yes they seem to think that. However they lose Netball to Kayo/foxtel next year (Nine contract finishes this year.)
https://www.foxsports.com.au/netbal...s/news-story/d1fe469d4a0b37a2c0e0e61d706b57d6
Vlandy talking to Ten at Randwick might finish off Nine being the number one over Seven. If Ten get the NRL and Ten having such a low base coming last, being beaten by ABC.

Crickey
https://www.crikey.com.au/2020/11/30/ratings-season-2020-abc/

The end-of-year ratings are in, and as usual all the major TV networks have claimed victory of some sort or another.

Nine declared itself the winner for the second year in a row. Seven insisted it won the back half of the year (omitting its big loss in the front half). Ten pointed out share gains, but forgot to mention that the under-resourced ABC beat it to third place. " crickey.

So if Ten want to stop being a flog, it better get the NRL ANY way it goes, with Ten in the picture a good price media deal looks to be in the offering. Vlandy and head of Ten network seen together at the racetrack and corporate boxes on the weekend.