What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

TruSaint

Referee
I hope we don't have to persist with an average squad for too much longer.

My greatest fear is Norman, hunt and co start performing around contract time and their buddy in the coach box feels justified to keep them.

Massive clean out needed as current contracts expire as we can't move the majority of players on.

Suddenly Host looked pretty good yesterday though. Funny that.

Hope we can turn things around in 2-3 years.

The way I see it, this season will be hard to watch, but we will learn if our new coach can get the best out of what he has, with a view to massive overall next season or two.

Im okay with that and will watch each game cheering on the team, but Im also realistic that we are nowhere near finals footy, let alone competing for the title.

10 years of incompetence by the board, can't be wiped away in one season.

kit66

Bench
I just watched the game ( yeah I know, but I had to ) bit of a debacle / horror movie.

Let's start with the bleeding obvious ;
1. We're going to miss McInnes real bad, our intensity and line speed were diabolical.
2. McC has no impact worth mentioning so far. None.
3. Kerr played well, did his best but we need his big body in the middle stopping the likes of Burgess where others fail. Watch our last game against Cronulla, Kerr and Vaughan held big men Fifita and Woods in check and helped us win the game. I'd have Fuimaono and Ford share the 11 jersey and I'd have Ellis and J.Hunt play 11 in reserves, see who comes out on top.
4. Without Dufty we've got nothing. Pretty much the only time the ball goes wide is when Dufty gets involved and passes wide. He does what Norman fails to do.
5. Is Norman even a 5/8 ? I don't think he is, centre maybe but preferably for some other team.
6. Forward passes are OK unless it's us throwing them.

Defence : What would you call our defensive structure - not up and in, not sliding, more like full retreat and what's worse is it starts in the middle, at the bloody markers ffs. Just terrible spoon worthy defence.
Kick chase : Pathetic. No-one put real pressure on any kicker until Sullivan came on in the dying stages.
Handling : We completed 23 / 35 sets, with 13 errors. The Bunnies completed 21 / 21 just in the first half. No respect for the ball. Lomax and Rava should be rewarded with a week in reggies for each dropped ball.
Kicking : Possibly our worst kicking game in 3 years, I hope Hook hasn't made changes that caused that. With our sh*t defence we'll need that field position from big kicks.
Attack : 9 line breaks - good, Finishing - not good. Early ball wide should be our mantra this year and our backline needs to be -
1. Dufty
2. Ramsey
3. Bird / Max Feagai if Bird to 5/8 or I'd even have Norman out there.
4. Lomax
5. Rava - he's just better than JP, more metres, hits harder, finishes well and has a great ability to read and rush up to cut off the opposition attack. ( again watch that Cronulla game - rnd 5 2020 - 4 big hits from Rava cutting off the attack ).

Fowards : Kerr and Vaughan to start with Lawrie at Lock. 11. Fui, 12 Sims. 9. McC 80 mins or bugger off.
Bench : 4 forwards. Ford can play centre if injury strikes but we need impact off the bench.
14. Ford - but has to perform or go.
15. Alvaro - good defender and some good runs.
16. Merrin - solid defender and good off loads - 2nd phase play under the new rules will be priceless.
17. Ellis I guess, Poasa needs to get up to speed in reserves. Although I really want Blacker in the side as soon as possible, again size and impact are crucial off the bench.

We got flogged by the team I've picked to win the Premiership but still we were awful, not a total loss but how depressing was it to see the quality of their depth players compared to ours when we're struggling just to have a half decent bench.
We have strike power out wide but need to fix our defence and develop Sullivan or Amone asap for the halves as what we have now are not up to it.

epDragon62

First Grade
In my opinion the Dragons were not ready to play a full-on NRL game. To me the players looked tired and over-worked from fitness and speed drills. I'm just hoping the Griffin and his staff go for light training drills leading into our first round game against the Sharks. I'd say that the players probably have learned a lot during the off-season but had tired legs and so, could not put those plans into action.

I'll be looking for:
Increased line speed in defence.
Our forwards to hit much harder in defence and attack.
Our backs to concentrate on combinations they have practiced.
Our backs to complete without errors.

In round 1 I will be looking more closely at Dufty's performance in defence and his positional play. This was a big problem in the Charity Shield game but I'm wanting to see how he goes when his legs aren't so tired.
f**k Possm, hope so

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Anyway back to the CS yesterday.

Not in anyway this is meant as an excuse, it never should be, but we had a fair few players playing in positions for the first time and a few players with their first 'serious' hit out in Dragons colours.
The Bunnies had just about their 'known' backline and bar one edge forward, most of their pack in their correct established positions.
Add to this is the 'engine room' ie: Reynolds, Walker & Cook v Hunt, Norman & McCollough.

Bird - playing centre, well short of a gallop, first full hit-out (50 mins)
McCollough - been at the club 5 mins, missed most of last season
Kerr - 1st time on an edge in game situation
Faama - 1st hit out for new club
Clune - playing back-up hooker
Ramsey - only played 3 games
Sims - returning from injury, only played 9 games last year...played like it too

Again not an excuse but stability (i've mentioned before) is a big thing. Bunnies played like a well oiled machine, we played like we had just met and shook hands at a friends BBQ.

Mjab

Juniors
Off contract at the end of 2021 are:
Blacker
Brittain
De Belin
Dufty
Ellis
Fuimaono
H Lomax
Merrin
Norman
Pereira
Williame

Who would you keep and why?

Blacker has to step up and show something worth keeping, has size
Brittain I thought wasn’t bad last year with limited opportunities and I think we will need him in the back half season when AM is shown to be a fail
If Dufty improves and shows his worth keep him , I do wonder if he would be a better 5/8 than Norman

rest can all go IMO

BBTB

Juniors
I think :thinking: to move Kerr
to take Fizzle's place in attack, was a major mistake..... He was a disaster.....Makes me wonder :thinking: if Hook is up for the job...

BBTB

Juniors
I think :thinking: to move Kerr
to take Fizzle's place in attack, was a major mistake..... He was a disaster.....Makes me wonder :thinking: if Hook is up for the job...
You need off the mark
Speed... Kerr is more of a plodder, of the mark. He wides up ok
That's why he needs to play prop.

getsmarty

Immortal
Anyway back to the CS yesterday.

Not in anyway this is meant as an excuse, it never should be, but we had a fair few players playing in positions for the first time and a few players with their first 'serious' hit out in Dragons colours.
The Bunnies had just about their 'known' backline and bar one edge forward, most of their pack in their correct established positions.
Add to this is the 'engine room' ie: Reynolds, Walker & Cook v Hunt, Norman & McCollough.

Bird - playing centre, well short of a gallop, first full hit-out (50 mins)
McCollough - been at the club 5 mins, missed most of last season
Kerr - 1st time on an edge in game situation
Faama - 1st hit out for new club
Clune - playing back-up hooker
Ramsey - only played 3 games
Sims - returning from injury, only played 9 games last year...played like it too

Again not an excuse but stability (i've mentioned before) is a big thing. Bunnies played like a well oiled machine, we played like we had just met and shook hands at a friends BBQ.

Well said...add to this the turnover of possession that led directly to Souths tries and these things can be fixed. Lets all stay calm and have realistic expectations after 8 years of rubbish.

getsmarty

Immortal
Blacker
Brittain
De Belin
Dufty
Ellis
Fuimaono
H Lomax
Merrin
Norman
Pereira
Williame

Of all the above, it will depend on who we can bring in....wouldn't have a problem with the majority being released.

Spazer

Juniors
Blacker
Brittain
De Belin
Dufty
Ellis
Fuimaono
H Lomax
Merrin
Norman
Pereira
Williame

Dufty's an obvious keep
JP I'd keep as a backup winger
Ellis maybe, we need some depth
JDB unknown
Blacker maybe, need to see more from him this season

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I reckon Clune played well and backup hooker may be his spot with the young brigade coming thru in the halves.
CC
Hopefully and if he is I hope once Macca gets fit he plays hooker in CC to learn the position. A bonus of this is that Sullivan and Amone can work together as a combo in CC rather than Clune/Sullivan so we can get that combo first grade ready ASAP. That is the future combo.

BLM01

First Grade
Dufty's an obvious keep
JDB unknown
After JDB (if possible), and Dufty, Brittain would be next on the list to keep.
Ellis, Blacker and Fui I am not convinced yet
The rest let em go

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty's an obvious keep
JDB unknown

Not necessarily re Dufty....we have Ramsey who can transition into fullback and others coming through

tough decisions need to be made.

George Sancti

Juniors
In my opinion the Dragons were not ready to play a full-on NRL game. To me the players looked tired and over-worked from fitness and speed drills. I'm just hoping the Griffin and his staff go for light training drills leading into our first round game against the Sharks. I'd say that the players probably have learned a lot during the off-season but had tired legs and so, could not put those plans into action.

I'll be looking for:
Increased line speed in defence.
Our forwards to hit much harder in defence and attack.
Our backs to concentrate on combinations they have practiced.
Our backs to complete without errors.

In round 1 I will be looking more closely at Dufty's performance in defence and his positional play. This was a big problem in the Charity Shield game but I'm wanting to see how he goes when his legs aren't so tired.

I am not sure whether it is a case of the eyes seeing what the mind wants to believe, but they did appear to be tired and leg weary to me also possm.

What I was most disappointed with was the reaction, or more correctly the lack of reaction from some of the senior players. I would have preferred to see Tariq Sims and Paul Vaughan lift their intensity after Souths scored those tries around the midpoint of the first half, even if it had led to further errors.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Not necessarily re Dufty....we have Ramsey who can transition into fullback and others coming through

tough decisions need to be made.
While Griffin was in an experimental mood in the CS I would have loved it if he put Ramsey to fullback once the reserves come on and give Dufty a little go at 5/8. His fullback skills are not out of this world, and to be honest in terms of safety and general returning of the ball we would almost be better off going with Mocoidreke. It is once we are in the opposition's red zone that he really comes alive and in that area he is as good or better than most of the top line fullbacks including Teddy and Paps. If this is his strength why not at least give him a go at 5/8?

Latest posts