What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

IFR33K

Coach
No. I turned on him quicker than Norman. People accused me of having a time machine and thought I was from the future. I even started wearing a cape before they became fashionable.

Maybe you should change your name to
Doc or Marty

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Two days ago you said matterson was. I’m not sure which games you were watching. Neither were in our top 3 players
You must only care about the flashy stuff. I bet you think the best players in the game are all spine players. Personally I judge most players on their defence as much as their attack. Spine players I recognise they have much more to do than just defend and run the ball, but defence is still a factor.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The NRL’s rule changes have had an immediate impact on the game with players in the Penrith-Parramatta trial exposed to “semi-final intensity”, prompting one to declare, “I couldn’t breathe”.

The Herald can reveal the ball was in play for more than 32 minutes in the opening half of Saturday night’s trial at Panthers Stadium, up almost five minutes from the average half of football during last year’s NRL season.

image.jpg

0:24

Rabbitohs headline NRL trial results
South Sydney beat the Dragons in the Charity Shield on a bumper day of NRL pre-season trial matches.

The NRL averaged 56 minutes and 16 seconds of game time in an 80-minute contest throughout last season. The alarming data out of the Panthers-Eels trial raises huge question marks over how the new rule changes are going to change the sport.

GPS tracking also clocked Parramatta fullback Clint Gutherson at 120 metres covered per minute over the opening 20 minutes of the game, well above the high-intensity training players are put through at training.

During high-intensity simulation sessions at training, clubs aim to get players covering 85-95 metres per minute.

“The speed of the first half, they reckoned it was around 95 metres per minute, which is pretty high,” Eels coach Brad Arthur said. “Gutho [Clint Gutherson] was 120 metres per minute in the first 20 minutes, so it was very fast.

cb3bf91454e9099aa598b1d1a3209ada5724e4de

Clint Gutherson was put to the test in Saturday’s trial match against Penrith.NRL Photos

“I think both teams were real tired at stages and the quality of the shape was off at times, but I think that was because of the speed of the game. It’s just going to take a bit of getting used to. We had a plan to get the players off a lot earlier than we did but I thought they needed the match fitness.”

The NRL’s rule changes have focused on minimising stoppages, increasing the amount of time the ball is in play and, ultimately, raising the fatigue factor to ramp up the entertainment value of the sport.

It had the opposite impact on Saturday night, with the rule changes - coupled with a high completion rate - leaving players too tired to penetrate in attack. “F--- these new rules,” one Eels player told the Herald as he left the ground. “I couldn’t breathe.”

The most significant rule changes include adding inside-the-10 infringements to the six-again rule, as well as play-the-ball restarts for the ball or players going into touch.

e9bc332fde93c5bf35316f24c76e6eb1b1a58180

Nathan Cleary in action against the Eels on Saturday night.NRL Photos

Eels halfback Mitchell Moses even asked Panthers counterpart Nathan Cleary during the match if he was struggling to keep up with the pace, to which Cleary recognised the high speed of the game.

Parramatta players privately admitted the first half was tougher than any match they played last year, forcing them to place a greater emphasis on fitness heading into the opening round in 10 days’ time.

Related Article

“The objective of the rules-changes is to reduce stoppages, increase the amount of time the ball is in play, and make the game as exciting as possible for fans,” NRL head of football Graham Annesley said.

“It’s always difficult to gauge the full impact of rule changes in trial matches, as it’s not until two points are on the line in the the opening rounds of the competition that the changes will be properly stress-tested.

“I’m not getting carried away at this early stage, but what I saw over the weekend was certainly encouraging.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...nals-intensity-in-trials-20210228-p576k4.html

TheRam

Coach
So much for him being on $250k a year. Seriously he should have been boned years ago.

How come whenever we think that a player is on a fair and reasonable or more moderate contract due to the media reporting it, it invariably turns out he is on much more?

It seems as though we never get players who are established on money that is their true worth or at a slight discount.

Latest posts