What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norman suspended

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL statement on Corey Norman
Author
NRL Media Release NRL Media
Timestamp
Sat 6 Mar 2021, 11:43 AM
Share on social media
The National Rugby League (NRL) has completed its disciplinary process concerning an incident involving St George Illawarra Dragons player Corey Norman on Friday 22 January.

The NRL issued Norman with a provisional breach notice after he was involved in a fight on a Cronulla street. Norman was given 5 working days to respond to the proposed sanction.

After considering Norman's written response and meeting with Norman in person the NRL has determined Norman was not acting in pure self-defence and could have avoided the violence that ensued. He will be fined $10,000 and suspended for one match, he must also complete education and training as directed by the NRL.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said he had considered both Norman's written response to the proposed penalty and information provided during a face to face meeting.

"This week I met with Corey and gave him the opportunity to talk me through the video footage and his decision making step by step as the incident happened.'' he said.

"There's no doubt the initial incident involved a degree of provocation, but ultimately I do not accept that Corey had no other option than to have participated in a street fight."

"After listening to Corey and his views, and considering all the material provided, I have determined that the provisional sanction should be adjusted. This is how our system works. We issue a provisional breach notice with a proposed penalty and then we allow the player time to respond before finalising the matter."

"We have been clear and consistent that provocation is not an excuse to engage in any form of violence. Corey is a high-profile player who was involved in a street fight, we expect better decision making from him."

"It is important to say that abuse of our players of any kind is unacceptable and the NRL will take whatever action is possible to ensure players are protected from unwarranted abuse. We will continue to invest in educating players on how to deal with difficult situations off the field."

Norman has been advised of his rights in seeking leave to appeal to the NRL Appeals Committee.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/06/nrl-statement-on-corey-norman/

Dragon David

First Grade
"It is important to say that abuse of our players of any kind is unacceptable and the NRL will take whatever action is possible to ensure players are protected from unwarranted abuse. We will continue to invest in educating players on how to deal with difficult situations off the field."

Does "educating players on how to deal with difficult situations off the field" mean that the NRL will teach our big, tough, rugby league players how to hold up a white flag and/or how to find the quickest route to run to the nearest police shelter. Maybe when 3-4 guys approach a player or players with fighting on their minds, the players learn to say through the NRL "sorry fellas but the NRL said that we should just sit down and have a chat about the wrongs of fighting".

Will this be how the approach will be? I don't think so.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I still don't see how Elliott is ok to do what he did and Norman is treated more harshly. If Elliott did not belt another NRL player would it have been different? At the end of the day Elliot and Liccha had a "fight" like Norman, and cops plus media were aware of it. There was more "negative" press with Elliot than Norman. People saw Norman as a mate helping another, Elliot a sleazy guy hitting on to his mate's fiance.

Anyway at the end of the day it is the colour of the jersey you wear. Saints players will cop it more than any other team player. And you wonder why Saints can't sign players.

BLM01

First Grade
I still don't see how Elliott is ok to do what he did and Norman is treated more harshly. If Elliott did not belt another NRL player would it have been different? At the end of the day Elliot and Liccha had a "fight" like Norman, and cops plus media were aware of it. There was more "negative" press with Elliot than Norman. People saw Norman as a mate helping another, Elliot a sleazy guy hitting on to his mate's fiance.

Anyway at the end of the day it is the colour of the jersey you wear. Saints players will cop it more than any other team player. And you wonder why Saints can't sign players.
Not sure Elliott & Lichaa actually had a blue or punch up. Sure they wont be exchanging Easter eggs but
Lichaa alledgedly seemed to be happy punching the house he was in and was frightening those around him so there is masked difference between Elliott & Normans case.

ALSGI

Bench
"We have been clear and consistent that provocation is not an excuse to engage in any form of violence. Corey is a high-profile player who was involved in a street fight, we expect better decision making from him."

1. He needs to pick his mates better, but he’s been warned about this before.
2. He’s out with a mate and two women and can’t be man enough to put the women’s safety first by avoiding the street fight. I’ve walked away from plenty of provocation especially when with women.
I’ve also dragged mates away from fights.

As suspected he was being a dikchead again - not a high profile, responsible, professional and senior Dragon.

Shame we couldn’t piss him off for this incident.

possm

Coach
NRL statement on Corey Norman
Author
NRL Media Release NRL Media
Timestamp
Sat 6 Mar 2021, 11:43 AM
Share on social media
The National Rugby League (NRL) has completed its disciplinary process concerning an incident involving St George Illawarra Dragons player Corey Norman on Friday 22 January.

The NRL issued Norman with a provisional breach notice after he was involved in a fight on a Cronulla street. Norman was given 5 working days to respond to the proposed sanction.

After considering Norman's written response and meeting with Norman in person the NRL has determined Norman was not acting in pure self-defence and could have avoided the violence that ensued. He will be fined $10,000 and suspended for one match, he must also complete education and training as directed by the NRL.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said he had considered both Norman's written response to the proposed penalty and information provided during a face to face meeting.

"This week I met with Corey and gave him the opportunity to talk me through the video footage and his decision making step by step as the incident happened.'' he said.

"There's no doubt the initial incident involved a degree of provocation, but ultimately I do not accept that Corey had no other option than to have participated in a street fight."

"After listening to Corey and his views, and considering all the material provided, I have determined that the provisional sanction should be adjusted. This is how our system works. We issue a provisional breach notice with a proposed penalty and then we allow the player time to respond before finalising the matter."

Norman has been advised of his rights in seeking leave to appeal to the NRL Appeals Committee.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/06/nrl-statement-on-corey-norman/
Abdo is not a judge or a one man jury, he is supposed to be a CEO who's normal role would be to refer this matter to the integrity committee for recommendations.

I say Abdo should get back to doing the things he is paid to do. I'd be very surprised if his duty statement included personally conducting an investigative interview and then himself alone, determining guilt and punishment.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Corey fined 20k and suspended for two games .
One game suspended.for 12 months.
Personal feelings about norman aside what do you think fair?
Who goes in Clune,Sullivan?
Doesn't say if he can serve it in charity shield?
Unfortunately only suspended for the one game rather than the season.

Assuming Sullivan gets picked I hope he has a blinder.

Dragon David

First Grade

This is it. The players from all other clubs can see how we are treated and so why join us? It is up to our big knobs in the Dragons administration to stand up and confront the NRL and give them a piece of .....and just don't take it. Rant and rave a bit more and make sure you are heard so that we can get some respect and fair outcomes.

TruSaint

Referee
Abdo is not a judge or a one man jury, he is supposed to be a CEO who's normal role would be to refer this matter to the integrity committee for recommendations.

I say Abdo should get back to doing the things he is paid to do. I'd be very surprised if his duty statement included personally conducting an investigative interview and then himself alone, determining guilt and punishment.

No Abdo is not a one man judge, but as CEO he reports the status of the review.
Norman has said his part.
He also has the right to appeal.

SnowDragon

Juniors
It's not the fight with the NRL I'd prefer to have, but it is reassuring that the club is finally starting to question the NRL.

Right or not, I feel that there has been a continual roll over and beg approach form the club, and that we are scape goats, used in ways that the League HQ would NEVER dare against the power teams. It is time and woads well that we are at least questioning HQ and that these stories are coming out in them media (definitely beats the bashing we have received lately)

From todays SMH
‘A slippery slope’: Dragons question ‘scary’ NRL stance on Norman brawl

NRL off-field behaviour

Corey Norman’s teammates have expressed about becoming public targets after the NRL rejected a self-defence argument from the Dragon about his involvement in a street fight.

gregstar

Referee
It's such a pity our game has come to this.

On-field brawls have become AFL handbag "scuffles" & "melees."
And now thumping a drunken deadsh*T in self defence is suspension worthy.

It's becoming touch football on the field & The Brady Bunch off it.

God f*Cking help us.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Here's a question from left field: Does this new interpretation of 'bringing the game into disrepute' also apply to NRLW players? I ask, because by making this ruling, the NRL are effectively putting a target on the backs of ALL NRL players.

IMO this is a real concern. This incident could have been dealt with differently and quickly become forgotten news. Instead, it has become a public debate that will stick in the minds of certain ratbags that go out looking for a fight.

The message is clear. You can now take a free hit at known NRL players. I hope I'm wrong but this can only lead to more players being at risk in public. IMO, it's only a matter of time that we'll see a player getting smashed by a nobody drunk.

Even if that player thinks "screw the NRL, I'm going to defend myself", he/she is still a target. No one should be placed in that position. And quite frankly, I think this flies in the face of the NRL's so-called 'duty of care'.

gregstar

Referee
I remember Merv Hughes said when he was given a gob-full by a Sth African fan continuously throughout a days play and then when leaving the field ,with his bat, he hit the enclosure that separated the players from fans between the field & the dressing rooms when that same fan ran over to it & continued to abuse him.

He was fined & suspended.

Hughes said that in hindsight, had he known he was going to lose money & get suspended that he "should've have belted the prick."

BLM01

First Grade
Here's a question from left field: Does this new interpretation of 'bringing the game into disrepute' also apply to NRLW players? I ask, because by making this ruling, the NRL are effectively putting a target on the backs of ALL NRL players.

IMO this is a real concern. This incident could have been dealt with differently and quickly become forgotten news. Instead, it has become a public debate that will stick in the minds of certain ratbags that go out looking for a fight.

The message is clear. You can now take a free hit at known NRL players. I hope I'm wrong but this can only lead to more players being at risk in public. IMO, it's only a matter of time that we'll see a player getting smashed by a nobody drunk.

Even if that player thinks "screw the NRL, I'm going to defend myself", he/she is still a target. No one should be placed in that position. And quite frankly I think this flies in the face of the NRL's so-called 'duty of care'.

The sad thing is it was dealt with quickly by the police that might... no charges laid. Done and dusted.
I still don’t believe the NRL are throwing out the line that the police are still investigating this matter to justify their stand.
What are they investigating that was not under investigation that night?

And when did the NRL take it upon themselves to become life coaches, detectives and lawyers to come up with conclusions and passing judgement about what they believe and should of happened.
That’s the police and the courts job.

The other thing I don’t care if the knife story is BS. The fact that these guys wanted to have a go and Norman and co defended themselves snd the women around them. No story there!

gregstar

Referee

Even if that player thinks "screw the NRL, I'm going to defend myself", he/she is still a target. No one should be placed in that position. And quite frankly I think this flies in the face of the NRL's so-called 'duty of care'.

Clearly if a female player is attacked, she should lay back and think; "Oh well. I'll take one for the game which is more important than me."

The game has been governed by morons since the mid / late 90's.

As mentioned above, if the police drop charges, that should be the end of it.

possm

Coach
It's such a pity our game has come to this.

On-field brawls have become AFL handbag "scuffles" & "melees."
And now thumping a drunken deadsh*T in self defence is suspension worthy.

It's becoming touch football on the field & The Brady Bunch off it.

God f*Cking help us.
There has to be a reason why the cops did not charge Norman. I say let the police determine if a crime was committed and the legal system take it's course without intervention from the NRL.

The NRL would do well to investigate and crack down on the corruption within, starting with the management of the salary cap and the TPA system.

In my opinion the oly way to solve this problem is with a draft system. Yes Tutty won his court battle but in Australia the AFL has a draft. Maybe a Federal Court battle needs to be run in this modern era with the same restriction of trade law applying to both football codes.

Oh wait! Some of the high flying 'well managed' clubs might not agree.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
It's not the fight with the NRL I'd prefer to have, but it is reassuring that the club is finally starting to question the NRL.

Right or not, I feel that there has been a continual roll over and beg approach form the club, and that we are scape goats, used in ways that the League HQ would NEVER dare against the power teams. It is time and woads well that we are at least questioning HQ and that these stories are coming out in them media (definitely beats the bashing we have received lately)

From todays SMH

NRL off-field behaviour

Corey Norman’s teammates have expressed about becoming public targets after the NRL rejected a self-defence argument from the Dragon about his involvement in a street fight.

I agree with what you say SnowDragon. If it was say James Tedesco out with another ex league player and their wives/partners and they were targeted by some louts wanting to fight and start getting stuck into the ex player and Teddy throws a few to help his mate, the NRL would have said, "it was good that Tedesco came in to help as it could have turned out nasty. It's good that he stood his ground to show that league players are no cowards".

What a joke.

Latest posts