What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norman suspended

Juniors
The cops would of investigated this and deemed there is insufficient evidence beyond reasonable doubt to proceed with charges against the two players. I reckon self defence issues might be raised that would be hard to negate beyond reasonable doubt.
However it was deemed bad enough to be investigated and would fall under bringing the game into disrepute. He could of walked away or rang the cops before getting involved. If he did I reckon he would be playing this weekend. He did neither. If he was performing on the park i wouldnt care too much but ........

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The cops would of investigated this and deemed there is insufficient evidence beyond reasonable doubt to proceed with charges against the two players. I reckon self defence issues might be raised that would be hard to negate beyond reasonable doubt.
However it was deemed bad enough to be investigated and would fall under bringing the game into disrepute. He could of walked away or rang the cops before getting involved. If he did I reckon he would be playing this weekend. He did neither. If he was performing on the park i wouldnt care too much but ........
It has been discussed before that being confronted in the street doesn't allow much time for diplomacy. Things can escalate quickly. Not always that easy to walk away. The other Corey Norman thread has more detail on this.

FTR, the police statement said that they did receive a phone call. By the time they got there, it was over. The fight was well reported and everyone recognised Norman and Segeyaro, but the identities of the 4 attackers is unknown. The police say they couldn't find them. No charges were laid against Norman or Segeyaro and they are not believed to be the aggressors.

Juniors
It has been discussed before that being confronted in the street doesn't allow much time for diplomacy. Things can escalate quickly. Not always that easy to walk away. The other Corey Norman thread has more detail on this.

FTR, the police statement said that they did receive a phone call. By the time they got there, it was over. The fight was well reported and everyone recognised Norman and Segeyaro, but the identities of the 4 attackers is unknown. The police say they couldn't find them. No charges were laid against Norman or Segeyaro and they are not believed to be the aggressors.
Both segayro and norman had ample time to walk away and they did not. It shows on the footage even norman was unable to provide a reasonable excuse why he didnt. Both these players are more than well educated on getting bated in public. Both have great form.
If the incident was that bad they needed to issue a media release via their clothing company (and some legal advice). But strange they didnt contact the police at all to help catch the alleged racist attackers? Cmon even the alleged racial abuse and knife doesnt ring right at all. I agree that something was said and would of been provacative but those boys got bated well and truly and fell for it.
He had his punishment halved but his lesson will not be learnt and the whole behaviour of the incident reeks of his footy performances.

ALSGI

Bench

Lol, you still going on.

You say a Police statement stated No charges were laid against Norman or Segeyaro and they are not believed to be the aggressors. Sounds more like a Journo saying Police said but anyway - this is based on one side of the story and very shit footage, Police have very little idea what actually happened. We have no clue but I’m guessing the NRL after seeing all the evidence, including interviewing Norman himself have a much better idea of what ‘might’ have happened and decided to fine and suspend him.

But you ...... never mind.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lol, you still going on.
Well, you are quoting me and presumably looking for a reply.
You say a Police statement stated No charges were laid against Norman or Segeyaro and they are not believed to be the aggressors. Sounds more like a Journo saying Police said but anyway - this is based on one side of the story and very shit footage, Police have very little idea what actually happened. We have no clue but I’m guessing the NRL after seeing all the evidence, including interviewing Norman himself have a much better idea of what ‘might’ have happened and decided to fine and suspend him.

But you ...... never mind.
No charges were laid. No one is forcing either of us to agree with each other on the finer points, but the fact is the police didn't see any reason to charge them.

Other players have expressed concerned about the ruling. I said earlier, I hope no player gets confronted by a nobody drunk who thinks he cam now get a free hit on an NRL player.

Norman and Segeyaro were there and said they were provoked, and there were racial slurs. Even the NRL acknowledge that there was some provocation.

So... yeah, only one side of the story, and much easier to think they must have done something wrong. Are you saying they are lying?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Both segayro and norman had ample time to walk away and they did not. It shows on the footage even norman was unable to provide a reasonable excuse why he didnt. Both these players are more than well educated on getting bated in public. Both have great form.
If the incident was that bad they needed to issue a media release via their clothing company (and some legal advice). But strange they didnt contact the police at all to help catch the alleged racist attackers? Cmon even the alleged racial abuse and knife doesnt ring right at all. I agree that something was said and would of been provacative but those boys got bated well and truly and fell for it.
With respect, I don't know how we can come to such conclusions. I've just be arguing with some who are dismissing views because I 'was not there'. But I suspect you'll be spared that sort of nonsense.

Nevertheless...

How do you know they could have walked away?
How do you know they didn't call the police?
How do you know there was no racial slur?

I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I suspect that we have to agree to disagree.
He had his punishment halved but his lesson will not be learnt and the whole behaviour of the incident reeks of his footy performances.
Ah yes, he was crap on the field last year. Sorry to disagree, but imo this incident has nothing to do with his on-field performance.

Although it does seem to be swaying a few opinions.

ALSGI

Bench
Well, you are quoting me and presumably looking for a reply.

No charges were laid. No one is forcing either of us to agree with each other on the finer points, but the fact is the police didn't see any reason to charge them.

Other players have expressed concerned about the ruling. I said earlier, I hope no player gets confronted by a nobody drunk who thinks he cam now get a free hit on an NRL player.

Norman and Segeyaro were there and said they were provoked, and there were racial slurs. Even the NRL acknowledge that there was some provocation.

So... yeah, only one side of the story, and much easier to think they must have done something wrong. Are you saying they are lying?

Nope, actually wasn’t looking for a reply from you or anyone just posting my opinion.

Am I saying they are lying?
No.
Are you saying they are telling the truth?
Are you saying you know more than the NRL Investigators?

NRL know a lot more from only one side of the story and still sanctioned him.

Dragons keeping him after this is worrying.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nope, actually wasn’t looking for a reply from you or anyone just posting my opinion.

Am I saying they are lying?
No.
Are you saying they are telling the truth?
Yes I believe so. If they're not lying we can assume their being truthful. Thanks for the common ground.
Are you saying you know more than the NRL Investigators?
No, I just think it's a bullshit decision.
NRL know a lot more from only one side of the story and still sanctioned him.
Maybe. I'm inclined to think the decision was based more on the game's image than the reality of life.

The NRL regularly does this because they are on the back foot due their concerns about image. The AFL just attempts to control the narrative. I'm not saying the AFL way is the right way, but it would be good if the NRL found some halfway point rather than caving all the time.
Dragons keeping him after this is worrying.
His on-field performance is an entirely separate discussion.

ALSGI

Bench
Yes I believe so. If they're not lying we can assume their being truthful. Thanks for the common ground.
No, I just think it's a bullshit decision.
Maybe. I'm inclined to think the decision was based more on the game's image than the reality of life.

The NRL regularly does this because they are on the back foot due their concerns about image. The AFL just attempts to control the narrative. I'm not saying the AFL way is the right way, but it would be good if the NRL found some halfway point rather than caving all the time.
His on-field performance is an entirely separate discussion.
Lol

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Far better than the crap you put up that’s for sure.
Lighten up.

I can see you're taking it personal. That's not healthy in any discussion.

If you can provide a counter argument to my post that is greater than three letters, that would great and I'm on board. Otherwise we can end the debate there.

ALSGI

Bench
Lighten up.

I can see you're taking it personal. That's not healthy in any discussion.

If you can provide a counter argument to my post that is greater than three letters, that would great and I'm on board. Otherwise we can end the debate there.
You can see nothing.

Why would I take anything on here personally?

But comments like ‘more than three letters’ does expose you as you do as a pompous, arrogant merkin though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You can see nothing.

Why would I take anything on here personally?

But comments like ‘more than three letters’ does expose you as you do as a pompous, arrogant merkin though.
Good to see you're not taking it personally.

Here's hoping Norman can put this incident behind him. It's refreshing to see that he has the support of players, and at least enough fans who can call bullshit when they see it.

But you don't have to take my word for it...

NRL stars hit back over Corey Norman street fight fiasco
James Mattheyjamesmatthey
dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

FEBRUARY 23, 20219:52AM

As reported by the Sydney Morning Herald, the RLPA has fielded calls from numerous players unhappy at how Norman has been treated, saying they feel like the league doesn’t have their back when it comes to being targeted in off-field incidents.

RLPA boss Clint Newton said: “Corey has our full support in disputing the sanctions outlined in his breach notice. Based on the information we have been provided, our view is that the proposed sanction is particularly unfair.

“We have provided our support and advice to Corey and his management throughout this matter and will continue to do so.

“We’ve also been contacted by a number of players who have shared their feelings of frustration with the lack of protection provided by the game in such instances where they, or their fellow players, have felt targeted.

More: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...o/news-story/4b93837e37dcea30c2ea236aa6823f25

"It's pretty tough. The way I see it Corey was standing up for a mate and what's he meant to do in that situation?," Hunt said in his first press conference as captain.

"You can't just stand back and cop it.

"It's one I'll leave to the club and NRL to sort out, but from my point (of view) it's a bit harsh."

Norman also won support from former Brisbane teammate Alex Glenn on Monday, who claimed players would end up in hospital if they were forced into a position of being unable to defend themselves.

More: https://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/30944288/corey-norman-fight-ban-nrl-players-unhappy

Old Timer

Coach
The Norman incident is difficult as there is no compelling external evidence as to who said exactly what or who instigated what or if there was the threat of knife.

The only evidence is that provided by Norman and his friends and as no police action was taken it would be acceptable to think their version of events is plausible.

Norman is as person that attracts more than his fair share of attention and some of his previous behaviour makes it difficult for many to accept his version of events and as I posted earlier if I were Norman I would certainly try my very best to avoid shady places, alleyways and situations that could cause me grief and just maybe he tried to do that and was a victim of circumstances.

To that point I place no great credence in what other players say by throwing their support behind Norman as they have no more idea of what actually happened than we do but if they had of said "he deserves the benefit of the doubt" I would be much happier.

However the NRL seem to be handing out punishment as judge and jury on many issues in an effort to "sanitise" the image of the game and in light of far more clinical breaches of the law being proven against some NRL players and them being dealt with very leniently by the NRL the suspension of Norman seems very harsh.

Whilst I don't think he adds anything to our playing roster I would also say that the notion we should tear up his contract on the basis of what happened in Cronulla is people trying to use a false premiss as a catalyst to remove a poor performing player and the two issues should not be connected.

ALSGI

Bench
Good to see you're not taking it personally.

Here's hoping Norman can put this incident behind him. It's refreshing to see that he has the support of players, and at least enough fans who can call bullshit when they see it.

But you don't have to take my word for it...

NRL stars hit back over Corey Norman street fight fiasco
James Mattheyjamesmatthey
dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

FEBRUARY 23, 20219:52AM

As reported by the Sydney Morning Herald, the RLPA has fielded calls from numerous players unhappy at how Norman has been treated, saying they feel like the league doesn’t have their back when it comes to being targeted in off-field incidents.

RLPA boss Clint Newton said: “Corey has our full support in disputing the sanctions outlined in his breach notice. Based on the information we have been provided, our view is that the proposed sanction is particularly unfair.

“We have provided our support and advice to Corey and his management throughout this matter and will continue to do so.

“We’ve also been contacted by a number of players who have shared their feelings of frustration with the lack of protection provided by the game in such instances where they, or their fellow players, have felt targeted.

More: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...o/news-story/4b93837e37dcea30c2ea236aa6823f25

"It's pretty tough. The way I see it Corey was standing up for a mate and what's he meant to do in that situation?," Hunt said in his first press conference as captain.

"You can't just stand back and cop it.

"It's one I'll leave to the club and NRL to sort out, but from my point (of view) it's a bit harsh."

Norman also won support from former Brisbane teammate Alex Glenn on Monday, who claimed players would end up in hospital if they were forced into a position of being unable to defend themselves.

More: https://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/30944288/corey-norman-fight-ban-nrl-players-unhappy

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just stop mate.
Actually, I'm just warning up.

Telling any forum member to shut up is silly mate. It means you've run out of argument.

Go the Dragons indeed. Support the team, support the players... especially when they're getting attacked in the street. IMO, some fans are too quick to condemn our players who wear the Red V.

Go the mighty Saints. Get to the game.

ALSGI

Bench
Actually, I'm just warning up.

Telling any forum member to shut up is silly mate. It means you've run out of argument.

Go the Dragons indeed. Support the team, support the players... especially when they're getting attacked in the street. IMO, some fans are too quick to condemn our players who wear the Red V.

Go the mighty Saints. Get to the game.

You’re pathetic. You know it, everyone else knows it.

For the record, never told you to shut up, just asked you to stop .... but you couldn’t.

Run out of argument? Lol, actually I run out of interest.

Easy out for you though.....as expected for an Admin with 83k posts. Get a life you poor, sad soul.

I’m not interested in an internet to and throw.

I won’t respond to you again and genuinely feel sad for you, hope things turn out better for you one day soon.