What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Games

matPORTS

Juniors
Analysis so far:

Storm vs. Rabbitohs -
Storm still very much front runners and will have no issue replacing those not returning from the GF last year (C Smith - H Grant, etc). Rabbits did respond quite well after getting blown off the park early on... they have class all over the paddock, depth and Benji will be a bit of a wild card.

Knights vs. Bulldogs -
As much as it was hard seeing Frizell having a blinder, but we must move forward (we can blame the club for not moving sooner on Mary for that one). I'm not going to get too carried away by the Knights just yet. The fact that Saifiti was able to stroll through uncontested for two tries says more about the opposition than the Knights themselves, however their pack is undoubtedly rep quality and they have an ace up their sleeve in K Ponga still to come back in. I thought the Dogs had a go but clearly they have a bit of a mountain to climb.

Broncos vs. Eels -
Early injuries setting in for the Broncos. They did have the capacity to win that game but their job of climbing out of the cellar is only just getting started. As others have said, Parra had all the running in the second half and it became all too much for an opposition short of a few big boppers in the second half - they have a big game next Thursday against the Storm and a lot needs to improve between now and then.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Makes me feel crook watching Tyson.
What club lets their best player leave??
Hes such a good player and good bloke ,, still cant believe we let him go.
Hope he kills it at Newcastle.

True that.
I’m sure he would returned to his best with Hook & Co.
I still can’t believe our management just let him go, knowing that McGregor was going as well.
A complete lack of urgency, foresight & nous from their part.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
What I’ve noticed so far is how quick the games are.
Even the Donkeys last night were playing a quick tempo game.
That I believe is our greatest challenge, energy and attitude to do things fast and efficient.

To me, the game continues to change away from the traditional forwards built like brick outhouses, small zippy halves and tacking centres to today’s theory of one size fits all.
Look at a team photo and nearly everybody looks the same height, weight and build. Basically, they can now be interchangeable at a moments notice.

Even McGregor wanted to play JDB at half although l put that one down to Mary being a bad coach.

thebigredv

First Grade
Analysis so far:

Storm vs. Rabbitohs -
Storm still very much front runners and will have no issue replacing those not returning from the GF last year (C Smith - H Grant, etc). Rabbits did respond quite well after getting blown off the park early on... they have class all over the paddock, depth and Benji will be a bit of a wild card.

Knights vs. Bulldogs -
As much as it was hard seeing Frizell having a blinder, but we must move forward (we can blame the club for not moving sooner on Mary for that one). I'm not going to get too carried away by the Knights just yet. The fact that Saifiti was able to stroll through uncontested for two tries says more about the opposition than the Knights themselves, however their pack is undoubtedly rep quality and they have an ace up their sleeve in K Ponga still to come back in. I thought the Dogs had a go but clearly they have a bit of a mountain to climb.

Broncos vs. Eels -
Early injuries setting in for the Broncos. They did have the capacity to win that game but their job of climbing out of the cellar is only just getting started. As others have said, Parra had all the running in the second half and it became all too much for an opposition short of a few big boppers in the second half - they have a big game next Thursday against the Storm and a lot needs to improve between now and then.

If the dogs have a mountain to climb then we are scaling Mt Everest.

McGregors dragons minus frizell and cam would be definite wooden Spooners in this year's comp. Let's see what Griffin can muster. Anyway you look at it, feels like more pain coming for us. Yes we have some young exciting backs but still no bodies able to lay a platform.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What I’ve noticed so far is how quick the games are.
Even the Donkeys last night were playing a quick tempo game.
That I believe is our greatest challenge, energy and attitude to do things fast and efficient.
And compete for 80 mins.....we havnt done it since 2010 ..cant see us doing it in 2021.....hope Im wrong but strongly doubt it

Old Timer

Coach
And compete for 80 mins.....we havnt done it since 2010 ..cant see us doing it in 2021.....hope Im wrong but strongly doubt it
Under Mc Fookknuckle it was like being in an elevator shaft in free fall.

Hopefully we have stopped descending, hit the bottom and have begun the long hard climb out of the darkest of holes.

The light at the top of tunnel is along way off but as long as it gets bigger and brighter then we are heading in the right direction.

Can't expect miracles but certainly fair to expect improvement in all facets.

kit66

Bench
Storm v Souths
Nice reality check for the Bunnies - you want the trophy, you need to be this good ( Storm good ). Fantastic first half of footy, the Storm didn't cheat or wrestle or harass the ref and they were scary good, I mean wow, how do you stop that ? Mitchell will have a great year. Arrow needs to start and maybe bring on Benji earlier - Benji was awesome, what a legend.

Newc v Dogs
Listened on the radio, both teams have a long way to go. Newc forwards will get them some wins and when Ponga comes back they'll trouble all but the top 4 teams you'd think.

Broncs v Parra
Parra handed the Broncs the first half, they couldn't hold the ball or kick straight or pass and gave themselves no chance. Milford capitalized on that as he should have done. Second half Parra regain their composure and the lead. Good wake up call for Parra if nothing else. Broncs have a long season ahead, Isaako is going to be good for them but needs to get more involved.

Early days. apart from the Storm it's hard to say how these other teams will go.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
To me, the game continues to change away from the traditional forwards built like brick outhouses, small zippy halves and tacking centres to today’s theory of one size fits all.
Look at a team photo and nearly everybody looks the same height, weight and build. Basically, they can now be interchangeable at a moments notice.

Even McGregor wanted to play JDB at half although l put that one down to Mary being a bad coach.

I disagree. I thought Melbourne's dominance came first and foremost from their big bopper forwards Welch, J.Bromich and Solomona bending the line and near impossible to put down, giving their team all ther momentum it needed to rout the oppostition. And I think our biggest problem will be not having enough big guys. It's a shame, our backs are top 8.

possm

Coach
True that.
I’m sure he would returned to his best with Hook & Co.
I still can’t believe our management just let him go, knowing that McGregor was going as well.
A complete lack of urgency, foresight & nous from their part.
Frizell signed with the knights well in avance of Mary being sacked and Griffin being announced as our new coach. He had had enough and his wife was very uneasy with the way Mary and our Board was handling the De Belin affair.

For me it was not just losing Frizell, the painful part is that the Club did not replace him like for like. I doubt Kerr will ever rise to the level that Frizell is at.

And yes, the Newcastle coaching staff seems to have listen to Frizell and added a few more strings to his bow.

Old Timer

Coach
I disagree. I thought Melbourne's dominance came first and foremost from their big bopper forwards Welch, J.Bromich and Solomona bending the line and near impossible to put down, giving their team all ther momentum it needed to rout the oppostition. And I think our biggest problem will be not having enough big guys. It's a shame, our backs are top 8.
Your point is a good one.

The Strom seem to have an endless supply of tough, robust, fast, tenacious, rip shit or bust players in both small and large packages.

They seem to easily produce the necessary new prototypes to adapt to all changes within the code season by season.

It eerily reminds me of when the Broncos were at their lethal / ruthless best under Bennett.

Gareth67

First Grade
Eels, Broncos and Dogs are likely to be in the bottom 8 on tonights performances.

Yikes ! If that is the case then they may need to dig a hole to extend the ladder further into ground for the real crap teams possum - I hope that we are not one of those teams .

possm

Coach
Your point is a good one.

The Strom seem to have an endless supply of tough, robust, fast, tenacious, rip shit or bust players in both small and large packages.

They seem to easily produce the necessary new prototypes to adapt to all changes within the code season by season.

It eerily reminds me of when the Broncos were at their lethal / ruthless best under Bennett.
I was there when the unbeatable no nonsense St George Club were the ones to beat in the 60s and again when they won in the late 70s. We can do it again and will quickly do it once the cleanout at out club is complete.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I was there when the unbeatable no nonsense St George Club were the ones to beat in the 60s and again when they won in the late 70s. We can do it again and will quickly do it once the cleanout at out club is complete.

Yep, spot on as usual Possm:thumbsup:

The cleanout won’t be complete until the Gordons, Youngs, Doust, Millward & rest of the Board, Journeymen & on-field plodding (‘they will find form/reach their potential - if only’ )
Bludgers are gone.

...& BTW & FFS
we all know Craig will be scheming for Dean’s return

etc etc ad nauseum

the rotten apples seething in the barrel
per se

Poor Hook’s been perfectly set up as the Fall Guy in waiting

... manifestly so - after a highly imperfect end-of-season/offseason roster
retention/recruitment non-performance

...a Club-sanctioned, built-in recipe for short & longterm failure ...

Perfectly predictable as per the Bookies

Replacement of like-for-like wilfully & knowingly & culpably bypassed

Where’s your money Andrew?
Or is it you just don’t care like Russell does?
Still sulking with Mary & Cam?

Malcontents, Incompetents & Schemers past their use-by-date
- with old ways & agendas

should’ve all fallen with McFail
... having doggedly
retained & retained & retained

their fumbling favourite

in the face of near universal condemnation & statistical absolutes

....reducing the Club to humiliation & its lowest ebb in 100 yrs

... we all know,
everyone outside the Boardroom bubble knows

that they need cleaning out Webby

... certainly if you want the 15,000 to grow to 25,000

and Possm’s & our utopia to return ASAP

Dragon David

First Grade
I'd like to add something on this thread, however, I'm leaving it until the final game of the round. A better picture will be presented particularly where we will be heading after the game.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Hasler's preferred wingers are two players Mary rejected.
Did you not see how Garrick gifted Tedesco that first try?

And you whine & complain about your perception of Dufty not contesting the ball..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Surely I can't be the only one hoping Saab fails massively.
You mean after the way he whined & carried on like an entitled precocious toddler to get out of his (recently extended) contract with us?

No.. You certainly aren’t the only one..

At the moment I’m annoyed Easts are scoring most of their tries through Garrick.

I’d like them to spin the ball out to the other wing..

Latest posts