What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canterbury @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Newcastle v Canterbury

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burwood

Bench
Pearce’s best kick was the one for the winger that went over the sideline. It didn’t come off, but it actually showed a bit of vision and playing what was in front of him.

The real test for our forwards will come against a pack like Melbourne or Parra. They will hunt as a pack and really slow us down. Saifitis, Klemmer and King are very similar in style, so will be interesting how they play when not getting quick play the balls or dominating in attack.

Yosh

Coach
I was surprised when Preace got a repeat set. I thought that was his best kick.

How bad was our decision to go for the two early in the game. Dropped the restart and conceded points for a while after that. I hope we play a bit more aggressively in the future when we're on top.

Volcom6685

Juniors
I was surprised when Preace got a repeat set. I thought that was his best kick.

How bad was our decision to go for the two early in the game. Dropped the restart and conceded points for a while after that. I hope we play a bit more aggressively in the future when we're on top.
Was unhappy with at the game and hindsight is great . But this early in the season . It’s a good way for a breather

K-Man

Bench

I've always disliked taking the shot for goal early on (when the scoreline itself is generally meaningless), because I believe there are significant advantages to gain worth more than the 2 points. That's the time in the game where momentum is there to be won, fatiguing your opposition (especially the forwards) is highly valuable, field position combined with possession can build up sustained pressure that helps the team get on top, both directly and indirectly.

In a weird way the best case scenario is not actually scoring a try straight from the tap. It's getting a few repeat sets, running them ragged, building pressure and then eventually scoring the try when they're out on their feet. Then you get the ball back and you've got 6 points as well as a physical advantage. I like seeing a team turn the screws slowly, and you often get the rewards in a burst either shortly afterwards or at the back end of the half.

Taking the 2 points feels like letting your opponent off the hook. The 2 points doesn't bother them, they get to regroup with energy in the tank, and very often they're down your end a minute later piling on the pressure that should've been the other way around. On this occasion we won the game easily, but that period after the penalty goal was our worst 5-10 minutes.

K-Man

Bench
With the rule changes, I hope we’ll see some more teams keep the pressure on and play for a sin bin.

And I forgot to say, the rule changes make taking the shot for goal a worse decision imo. There is now a very real opportunity to drive the other team into a lot more strife than 2 points on the scoreboard. Fatigue, back to back 6 again calls, sin bins, you can really get on top if you back your composure.

Knight76

Juniors
And I forgot to say, the rule changes make taking the shot for goal a worse decision imo. There is now a very real opportunity to drive the other team into a lot more strife than 2 points on the scoreboard. Fatigue, back to back 6 again calls, sin bins, you can really get on top if you back your composure.

Not a fan of taking the 2 unless it puts us 8 points in front. On the weekend it was pointless to go for 2.

You spend all the time trying to out metre your opponents and force your way down their end, then give up the field position you worked hard for, for 2 points and stary again.

Keep the pressure on I say. All taking the 2 shows is the coach has a lack of faith in the sides attacking ability.

Yosh

Coach
Not a fan of taking the 2 unless it puts us 8 points in front. On the weekend it was pointless to go for 2.

You spend all the time trying to out metre your opponents and force your way down their end, then give up the field position you worked hard for, for 2 points and stary again.

Keep the pressure on I say. All taking the 2 shows is the coach has a lack of faith in the sides attacking ability.

Can't blame the coach for worrying about our attack without Ponga in the side. I think it'll be a lesson learnt and we will be more aggressive when it comes to going for the try from now on.

How good was Watson's little shimmy and ball to Barnett. I hope we see a lot of that in the future. We send too many balls out back to Ponga. Need to mix it up to keep the opposition guessing.

Yosh

Coach
At least we won that game.

I can't believe we're not going into this 3-0... That loss against the Tigers was disgusting. Better smash the Dragons by 30 plus!

Latest posts