What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

yakstorm

First Grade
Queensland Intrust Super Cup kits for 2021:
158267072_4469916793024889_6747211561140435210_o.jpg

Nuke

Staff member
I instantly thought of the GF badges when I saw the red sponsor too.
Likewise.
And maybe because red and green are on the same colour wavelength, I didn't feel like the red patches were distracting from the Canberra jerseys.
There are plenty of other teams' jerseys that have sponsors patches that seem to me to be more distracting. Unfortunately for me, Newcastle's NIB & McDonald Jones ones top that list. The back-of-jersey ones both look fine, in my opinion.

GAZF

First Grade
And maybe because red and green are on the same colour wavelength
Questionable science aside, I can't think of a colour that stands out more on lime green than bright red, unless the viewer is colourblind.

cooko

Juniors
Raiders heritage jersey is cool but by 2021 standards they have a big white sponsor box on the front and 2 big red sponsor boxes on each shoulder so could do much better.

Are we holding that jersey to 2021 standards or 1994 standards.

Would love to see what it looks like with the current cbr milk logo.

GAZF

First Grade
Raiders heritage jersey is cool but by 2021 standards they have a big white sponsor box on the front and 2 big red sponsor boxes on each shoulder so could do much better.

Are we holding that jersey to 2021 standards or 1994 standards.

Would love to see what it looks like with the current cbr milk logo.
Nostalgia is the main driver for sales in this case, not design by merit. You could have bought a near identical design from 2019/20, but sales weren't going nuts then, because it didn't have an iconic sponsor (to RL) in an iconic style on the front.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Eh, it's all relative... I feel compared to some of these kits the Tigers aren't looking too bad these days...

images

images

WRONG!!! The were the f*cking best ever!!!

Seriously. Heaps of orange (That was the core of their brand, completely unique in the comp), a fun design (for kids at least), youll never confuse them with anyone else.

Compared to some of the stuff they have put out recently, these are gold standard.

flippikat

Bench
Eh, it's all relative... I feel compared to some of these kits the Tigers aren't looking too bad these days...

images

images

These two especially are appalling.

Absolutely reek of late 90s/early 2000s design catastrophe- gradients, jarring elements overlaid on top of each other, and a muddle of colours.

The 2005 Tigers v Cowboys Grand Final was the apex of that era - the ugliest GF jersey combo ever.

So glad that era is well behind us.

steeden.

Juniors
Just beautiful.

The Queensland Cup is really showing how good a 2nd tier competition can be - everything from a good spread of state-wide teams, a team from another nation, and (keeping this in topic) a really good range of team colours, all across the spectrum.

Brilliant stuff.
Agreed! Although the double sternum sponsors some clubs have is a concerning development

kdalymc

Bench
Just beautiful.

The Queensland Cup is really showing how good a 2nd tier competition can be - everything from a good spread of state-wide teams, a team from another nation, and (keeping this in topic) a really good range of team colours, all across the spectrum.

Brilliant stuff.
Almost, great colours all round but im a prick for technicalities-
2 teams named Seagulls...
1 team named Northern....
1 team named PNG, in a state comp..
And Brisbane Tigers is spew

Santino Patane

Juniors
1 team named Northern....
1 team named PNG, in a state comp..
And Brisbane Tigers is spew
Your first point I get, but the others??

- What’s wrong with the name “Northern”?
- Why wouldn’t PNG belong in the Qld Cup? They were a part of our state pre 1974, and this is the perfect level and location for them to be in to compete. Considering we had Auckland in the ARL and NZ as well as Perth in the NSW Cup previously, I think PNG belong here more
- There’s much worse names than Brisbane Tigers. Also, considering their plans to become an NRL team, its smart to make this play to be appealing to a broader Brisbane market. It might not brand right away, but in time a club that looks to the wider Brisbane market at all levels might be a real positive for their bid.

kdalymc

Bench
Your first point I get, but the others??

- What’s wrong with the name “Northern”?
- Why wouldn’t PNG belong in the Qld Cup? They were a part of our state pre 1974, and this is the perfect level and location for them to be in to compete. Considering we had Auckland in the ARL and NZ as well as Perth in the NSW Cup previously, I think PNG belong here more
- There’s much worse names than Brisbane Tigers. Also, considering their plans to become an NRL team, its smart to make this play to be appealing to a broader Brisbane market. It might not brand right away, but in time a club that looks to the wider Brisbane market at all levels might be a real positive for their bid.

Pride played in the Superbowl thingy and everyone from NSW asked "northern wot?" "Brisbane, Qld..?"
It's a shit name.
PNG should be called Port Moresby or wherever they were based. Much like warriors should go back to being called Auckland. The new Fiji team (in Ron Massey) nailed it with Kaiviti, country names should be reserved for national team

yakstorm

First Grade
Pride played in the Superbowl thingy and everyone from NSW asked "northern wot?" "Brisbane, Qld..?"
It's a shit name.
PNG should be called Port Moresby or wherever they were based. Much like warriors should go back to being called Auckland. The new Fiji team (in Ron Massey) nailed it with Kaiviti, country names should be reserved for national team

The NFS in Port Moresby might be the Hunters primary home at the moment, but when they first joined the QCup, they actually played out of Kokopo on East New Britain and have also played games in other centres like Lae.

The club has purposely been called PNG so it is free to move around (the club was looking at taking matches to Hela and New Ireland as new stadiums are being built there) and because it recruits from all over the country.

I'm sure there was some desire as well to distance the club from the Port Moresby Vipers, who have previously played in the QCup and might attempt to rejoin.

On your comments about the Silktails, I'm not sure if you're aware, but Kaiviti is a Fijian word that stands for Fiji or Fijian making them the Fiji Silktails or Fijian Silktails in English.

The club has purposely done this as they were open to playing in either Suva or Nadi as their home base.

flippikat

Bench

That's easily fixed if Tweed Heads Seagulls leaves the Qld Cup to take a place in a statewide NSW Cup that has more country representation in it.

Plus Tweed Heads can still play a local clash against Burleigh Bears in pre-season and/or "inter-league" round between NSW & Qld Cup sides.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The NFS in Port Moresby might be the Hunters primary home at the moment, but when they first joined the QCup, they actually played out of Kokopo on East New Britain and have also played games in other centres like Lae.

The club has purposely been called PNG so it is free to move around (the club was looking at taking matches to Hela and New Ireland as new stadiums are being built there) and because it recruits from all over the country.

I'm sure there was some desire as well to distance the club from the Port Moresby Vipers, who have previously played in the QCup and might attempt to rejoin.

On your comments about the Silktails, I'm not sure if you're aware, but Kaiviti is a Fijian word that stands for Fiji or Fijian making them the Fiji Silktails or Fijian Silktails in English.

The club has purposely done this as they were open to playing in either Suva or Nadi as their home base.
Also amusing that someone as nitpicky as names as he seems to be called the State Championship match the "superbowl thingy"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's easily fixed if Tweed Heads Seagulls leaves the Qld Cup to take a place in a statewide NSW Cup that has more country representation in it.

Plus Tweed Heads can still play a local clash against Burleigh Bears in pre-season and/or "inter-league" round between NSW & Qld Cup sides.
Tweed Heads dropped the "Heads" from their name a couple of years ago so they represent the region rather than just the town itself.

(doesn't change them being a NSW team of course lol)

kdalymc

Bench
Also amusing that someone as nitpicky as names as he seems to be called the State Championship match the "superbowl thingy"
Missed my point dick head.
To be more nitpicky, it's technically the national championship, the state championship is what each comp is playing for.