What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Cowboys

Old Timer

Coach
Tonights take aways for me
  1. The coach well and truly has the shed and further more knows what to do with it.
  2. Hunt had his single best game in the big red v and as I suggested some time ago Hook was very smart to put the (c) beside his name. He will either step up or step out and thus far I can only see positives and long may it continue. Well done Ben Hunt you played a great game tonight and you captained us well.
  3. AM can and will play 80 (despite assertions to the contrary) and brings astute decision making and a calmness to our sets. Not as dynamic as some hookers but certainly a good manager and provides just the right type of assistance that Hunt needs.
  4. Whilst there is still has a long way to go there is much to see that is far better than anything over the last number of years.
  5. The playing group looks highly engaged and extremely happy and that is the exact culture we need to promote and of course Hook will keep them all on their toes and remind them of what the task at hand is both for individuals and as a team. The big headed nature of some has quickly disappeared.
  6. No panic during adverse moments and in fact we lifted our tempo to compensate during those moments which shows we are confident in what we can do. A basic commodity that we haven't had for a very long time so well done to the coaching staff.
  7. Special mention to Rava, Fui, Blocker all who had immense pressure on them to come up with something better and more consistency than last year and to date they have done that very well and more than deserve to hold their spots. Alvaro is also showing that he has a fair bit to offer and Hook & Co are getting it out of him.
  8. Our conditioning staff have done a superb job of getting the team into shape for the start of the comp (as suggested elsewhere maybe we were just leg weary for the CC) especially those returning from bad injuries. We look fit and full of running and that is allowing Hook to use our bench resourcefully and cunningly to suit his game plan which is a huge plus.
  9. I watched the game with the beloved grandson and the smile on his face and hearing his voice filled with excitement was music to my ears and f**k you Mc Gregor & Co for making his life miserable as a St George supporter and it wasn't about the losing it was all about the bullshit, the spin and the unkept promises you made and even kids could see through it so again well done Hook you make the pressers enjoyable, believable and worth watching win / lose or draw.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I was expecting us to fade especially in the last 20 mins. Watching us defend 3 line dropouts and the dropsies inside our 40 gave me hope. That showed to me the character and culture our coach is trying to instil in this team. I know people will think "it's only the Cowboys", but we have lost many games from that position before and I'm chuffed.
I agree...after the slog in the wet and then 27 degrees...fantastic effort....was happy with Hooks post game interview...told it how it was....was pleased with the gutsy defence but also pointed out some moments we lacked our composure, like the Granville try

Tonights take aways for me
  1. The coach well and truly has the shed and further more knows what to do with it.
  2. Hunt had his single best game in the big red v and as I suggested some time ago Hook was very smart to put the (c) beside his name. He will either step up or step out and thus far I can only see positives and long may it continue. Well done Ben Hunt you played a great game tonight and you captained us well.
  3. AM can and will play 80 (despite assertions to the contrary) and brings astute decision making and a calmness to our sets. Not as dynamic as some hookers but certainly a good manager and provides just the right type of assistance that Hunt needs.
  4. Whilst there is still has a long way to go there is much to see that is far better than anything over the last number of years.
  5. The playing group looks highly engaged and extremely happy and that is the exact culture we need to promote and of course Hook will keep them all on their toes and remind them of what the task at hand is both for individuals and as a team. The big headed nature of some has quickly disappeared.
  6. No panic during adverse moments and in fact we lifted our tempo to compensate during those moments which shows we are confident in what we can do. A basic commodity that we haven't had for a very long time so well done to the coaching staff.
  7. Special mention to Rava, Fui, Blocker all who had immense pressure on them to come up with something better and more consistency than last year and to date they have done that very well and more than deserve to hold their spots. Alvaro is also showing that he has a fair bit to offer and Hook & Co are getting it out of him.
  8. Our conditioning staff have done a superb job of getting the team into shape for the start of the comp (as suggested elsewhere maybe we were just leg weary for the CC) especially those returning from bad injuries. We look fit and full of running and that is allowing Hook to use our bench resourcefully and cunningly to suit his game plan which is a huge plus.
  9. I watched the game with the beloved grandson and the smile on his face and hearing his voice filled with excitement was music to my ears and f**k you Mc Gregor & Co for making his life miserable as a St George supporter and it wasn't about the losing it was all about the bullshit, the spin and the unkept promises you made and even kids could see through it so again well done Hook you make the pressers enjoyable, believable and worth watching win / lose or draw.

Great post Old Timer with all points valid.
Number 9 is my favourite and unfortunately very true as we wasted some years recently where we actually had a very good squad.

BLM01

First Grade
W
Dufty letting bomb go near try line was a worry. I am sure Griffin won't let this go.
whilst I am a Dufty supporter and see the upside I was peeved with his meek run that led to our 3rd set in a row for a dropout late in the 2nd half. Same with Zac for the one before.
We also need to get better with making yards from the backfield ..outside Rava we are slow, some passing out a bit wider may do the trick as Cowboys owned us a bit near our line.
Dont let anyone tell you otherwise..Cowboys did have a dig in this game and their more errors than us and defensive lapses cost them the game
On our side how many try opportunities did we bomb? I reckon 3, 2 in the 1st half, one just after half time.

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Isn’t it wonderful to see the bench used sensibly, I don’t think I have seen one post in two games criticising the bench usage by Hook. How bad in all honesty was the peanut?

Yes, hewi, I always thought the way Mary misused the bench put the Dragons at a great disadvantage every single game apart from creating mid season burnout in blokes like Vaughan and Friz. The rotation was excellent tonight - watching on TV you are not always sure who has been replaced but I thought Williame on for the first time and Alvaro for his 2nd stint was very perceptive use of the bench after there had been such prolonged goal line defence.

Not surprising to see more positive comments following a win but it is great to see some perennial Forum whipping boys earning some praise. Hunt, Norman, Lawrie and even Trent Merrin. A little more on Merrin - before tonight he had been written off by many posters. Admittedly he didn't offer much last year but Mary only offered him 25 minutes or so in the 9-10 games he made the team. What has puzzled me was how he could go from being our best forward before he left and then return as a mere journeyman 5 years (?) later. At his age he should be in his prime. I just hope he can build on this improved showing which coincided with a longer stint on the field.

Lastly on Rava. He too was written off after half a dozen games last year because of his dropping of bombs and other handling mishaps. But in the second half of the season he showed that fans are wrong to assume that weaknesses can't be overcome with practice. And tonight his handling was fantastic. I suggest a little more caution in being overly judgmental on individuals especially when we are suffering defeat induced despair.

Remarkable turn-around from Ben Hunt. Easily Man of the Match. I really hope he backs it up next week. He looks to be truly a confidence player. And as much as Saints fans can bag a player, we can, and have also got behind and lifted players, I’d like to think.

I’m a Lawrie fan. I reckon he could be a very good player for us.

Rava continues to improve.

Some of the stone cold drops are infuriating and hopefully phase out with further confidence and practice.

It was great to get a win away and hopefully build some momentum, but the Cows are pretty shit. But.... we haven’t been winning those games away, so I’m happy with an entertaining game.

I was most happiest with finally having some f**ken speed in the team Ramsey and Dufty. And seeing Dufty back up Hunt gave me a fully engorged stag!

Some very silly drops, but some encouraging plays as well.

Go Saints!

Qapm

Juniors
First good news in a while for a Dragon's supporter.

McGregor, you're still banned from the 476 and 477 buses, Captain Cook Bridge, RP Road and Princes HWY, all that. If this lot makes the finals then may give you a pass on a case by case basis.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Don't want to be the one to spoil the party so to speak, as our win today deserves full celebration. There is one concern (other than the obvious whipping boys) and that is the form of Tariq.

6 runs for 44 metres
Only 17 pcm
83.3% TE
6 missed tackles (most by any player)

Anyone else feel this is a concern?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Don't want to be the one to spoil the party so to speak, as our win today deserves full celebration. There is one concern (other than the obvious whipping boys) and that is the form of Tariq.

6 runs for 44 metres
Only 17 pcm
83.3% TE

Most certainly Sims is a shadow of the player he once was 2 years ago....he has regressed at a concerning pace.
It’s like he has given Trent Merrin his Mojo instead. Mez has surprised me, as I thought he has improved considerably. Tariq would have to be the 1st forward in the line of fire at this stage of the season.

SAP58

Juniors

6 runs for 44 metres
Only 17 pcm
83.3% TE

I totally agree, he looks slow and predictable in attack not capable of breaking the line or showing mongrel in defence like in past years. We were told in the past he was carrying injuries, what is his excuse now. He is fortunate we don’t have the cattle in the second row to put pressure on him otherwise he could be playing CC in a few weeks. He is signed till the end off 2022, Hook has his work cut out getting the best out of him by the look of it.

Latest posts