What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Peter V'landys vows to bring back all three grades on footy game day.

Mark B

Juniors
It doesn’t have to be. Sure if you want all the bells and whistles and a cast of a thousand, but you could easily do it for a third or less of what nrl costs to produce and still have a very watchable and enjoyable televised league.
My broke arse SL club streams every game and it’s watchable, and trust me I doubt it’s costing more than $5k a game!
Hope you are right Red. Would also give Perth an opportunity to field teams in the lower grades. Enjoy watching the talented up and comers play whether for other clubs preferably a couple of Eels though. But would gladly watch talented youngsters like Sualli and Walker as well. PS, as much as I appreciate your passion for an NRL team
in Perth, your post in favour of Beattie make me LOL. IMHO, one one of biggest snake oil salesmen ever. A consummate politician who would say just about anything and follow through with nothing. Each to their own though.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
PS, as much as I appreciate your passion for an NRL team
in Perth, your post in favour of Beattie make me LOL. IMHO, one one of biggest snake oil salesmen ever. A consummate politician who would say just about anything and follow through with nothing. Each to their own though.
100%.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
PS, as much as I appreciate your passion for an NRL team
Exactly the same sentiment that comes to mind when one thinks of the current Chairman :thinking:

Mark B

Juniors
Exactly the same sentiment that comes to mind when one thinks of the current Chairman :thinking:
The big thing going for a Vlad was his effort in getting the game back and running during Covid. Beattie delivered very little and IMHO would have screwed the Covid situation up, we would have been lucky to see a comp in 2020 if Beattie was still in charge.

franklin2323

Immortal
The big thing going for a Vlad was his effort in getting the game back and running during Covid. Beattie delivered very little and IMHO would have screwed the Covid situation up, we would have been lucky to see a comp in 2020 if Beattie was still in charge.

Yeah you can't say PVL hasn't delivered. The question you could have is he delivering what people want

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah you can't say PVL hasn't delivered. The question you could have is he delivering what people want
The only thing he's delivered from what I can see is the return to footy first last year. I think any administrator would have delivered the same, but perhaps not as quickly.

Aside from that I'm not sold on anything else he's done.

franklin2323

Immortal
The only thing he's delivered from what I can see is the return to footy first last year. I think any administrator would have delivered the same, but perhaps not as quickly.

We are getting a 17th team
The ratings on Fox are going very well. So the rule changes too aren't hurting the game.

Now just need to get rid of Ch9 and a good solid start

The rest is subjective

Mark B

Juniors

Can’t keep everyone happy. Apart from the Scottish dude who made Rupert pay more than what he wanted for the the TV rights ( and caused one of the biggest dummie spits of all time) Vlad has done ok and gets and a B- in my grading. When I think of Gallop and Beattie etc Vlad has done ok.

Mark B

Juniors
The ratings on Fox are going very well. So the rule changes too aren't hurting the game.

The rest is subjective
Absolutely subjective. Great way to describe it.

Timmah

Staff member

The rest is subjective
"17th team" isn't on its own an achievement (especially given it's still a thought bubble and not actually formalised yet) And if it's not in the right spot. is it an achievement?
As for Fox ratings, individual stuff like best R1 Thursday since X is great - but overall are ratings actually trending up? Do we even have enough data to say that yet?
Rule changes.
Benefit? From what I've seen there's less close games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Best thing about the rule changes for me isn't the speeding up of the game but the fact that TV doesn't get to ruin the enjoyment of watching it by dissecting every decision and slagging the ref off because they think he might have got it wrong! Commentary has suddenly become a lot less negative. Most 6 agains are hardly mentioned never mind criticised!

no name

Coach
I’m not sure where they’re going to pull another 30 odd NRL standard players for the 17th team.
Watching the Tigers, Cowboys and Broncos tells me that there probably isn’t enough quality players for the 16 current teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m not sure where they’re going to pull another 30 odd NRL standard players for the 17th team.
Watching the Tigers, Cowboys and Broncos tells me that there probably isn’t enough quality players for the 16 current teams.

we've got over 150k people playing RL around the world, surely we can find another 30 decent ones? I dont think its the depth per se, rather the talent spread that's the problem.

siv

First Grade
They could sell the rights to games to be streamed on a Saturday. There’s allegedly 5 million RL fans and only 200k of them are watching NRL on a Saturday on fox. There seems to be a lot of RL eyes not watching anything at certain times of the week you could stream games on. For game sin Png and Fiji and nz you could get local tv to cover it and pick up the feed for australia streaming like SL do for French games. Don’t have to necessarily show every game live. 4-5 a week would be enough with rest on demand.

Agree

You will find that most of them are most likely playing or involved in their local league

The issue is the development of what we have

250 people graduate U20s every season across NSW and Qld

I think we need a return of the U23 professional development layer to lessen the gap between RG and U20s

mongoose

Coach

It will test the depth of some squads but teams at the bottom of the ladder are always going to look bad next to teams at the top, whether you got 10, 16 or 18 clubs.

I think some clubs like Roosters, Panthers and even my own club are stockpiling talent, while other clubs are struggling.The Raiders basically have 2 first grade quality forward packs.

typicalfan

Coach
"17th team" isn't on its own an achievement (especially given it's still a thought bubble and not actually formalised yet) And if it's not in the right spot. is it an achievement?
As for Fox ratings, individual stuff like best R1 Thursday since X is great - but overall are ratings actually trending up? Do we even have enough data to say that yet?

Benefit? From what I've seen there's less close games.
PVL has already put a timeframe on it, you can disbelieve but last time he put a timeframe on something he backed it up. The only meaningful attempt to expand since the Titans.

franklin2323

Immortal
It will test the depth of some squads but teams at the bottom of the ladder are always going to look bad next to teams at the top, whether you got 10, 16 or 18 clubs.

I think some clubs like Roosters, Panthers and even my own club are stockpiling talent, while other clubs are struggling.The Raiders basically have 2 first grade quality forward packs.

We have had some very very good players retire. These will take a couple of seasons to replace

WT, Sharks etc have tried to buy a good squad and things haven't worked out but by the time the new side comes in a few more academies will be up and running. The Fiji team will be stronger and players will be stocked up