What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

I suppose the rule changes are speeding up the game somewhat, the SL is a quicker game and he seems to have thrived there (granted the SL is not in the same tier as the NRL.)

Brooks isn't the one, time to look elsewhere. There might be a future in Madden but he's still only young. Need an alternative while he comes on or we identify another young half to bring on. We are not going to lure a quality NRL half without paying a fortune, so the only other alternative is a manoeuvre like this.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Ball playing lock, and what do you do with Twal who is one of three player in the side that you’d actually consider keeping in the NRL team after the first two rounds.

Twal could easily move back into the front row rotation, basically plays as that slightly older style of the lock being the third front rower anyway.

Brooks has had 150 chances to own that position without question ,but unfortunately he has failed to do so, if he feels threatened, pissed or annoyed at the talk of Hastings coming than maybe he should lift his form or ask for a release and move on .

Pezz70

Juniors
Brooks has had 150 chances to own that position without question ,but unfortunately he has failed to do so, if he feels threatened, pissed or annoyed at the talk of Hastings coming than maybe he should lift his form or ask for a release and move on .
Unfortunately all that is true, but I would actually love to see him ‘click’ and succeed. He shows a little glimpse hear and there. He really got shown up by Keary against the roosters, Keary virtually ran his own race and was able to put players on the outside all day. I really think Brooks was too concerned with Teddy coming from behind and didn’t focus on his number. The key last week was to shut Keary down early

Das Hassler

Bench
I have felt a bit sorry for Brooks in that there's been no other halfback who has come close to having had 5 first grade coaches ( including an interim coach) and God knows how many spine partners over 7 years...it doesn't account for all of it but it sure hasn't helped him....if he'd have been snapped up by another club after his debut he'd probably be an elite halfback by now...we all saw what we saw back then.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
It’s my opinion that we are in big trouble, you can see in the performances that a number of players lack the professionalism/discipline to be successful in the NRL.

We really need a tough no dickheads policy. There are at least three players in the side who have had negative interactions with the police over the past couple of years. We have also picked up a couple of players not wanted by other clubs or who have had disciplinary problems at other clubs. Generally, they are dumped from other clubs for ongoing dramas not one off instances. You can’t change a culture positively by bringing in people with track records of ill discipline. My opinion on that is you have no discipline off the field, you’re not gonna have any at training or in a game - obviously this has to be judged on a case by case basis but the general rule should be find yourself another club. You chose to play for the Tigers you need to show professionalism, integrity and judgment off the field and on the field. Ill discipline is a sign that they’re only there for a pay cheque, you’ll never get one hundred percent out of them. I’d rather pay a bloke who is a little short of being a superstar but puts his all in every week. They’re the blokes you build a team around, the grunt work is what gives your stars a chance to shine.

You want blokes in your side who are humble, hard workers not big headed mouths who are chucking tantrums and carrying on all the time. There are six blokes in the usual 17 that I would not give the time of day to. There’s another six or seven that a right on the edge that you’d give a bit more of a chance and 4 or 5 that you’d have in every week.

If I was Madge I’d be pulling individuals aside now and giving them the brief, shut up, do as you’re told, or look forward to reserve grade and no contract renewal. Time to stop molly coddling them and lay down the rules, and stick to the rules. You dont meet the bench marks see you later. Tough love. Shut up and put in or go play park footy, cause there’d be lucky to be 4 or 5 blokes that would get picked up by any other club.
I don’t think he is here to play lock?

gordsy

Juniors
Brooks seems to be like that kid in school who is great in year 7 footy because his skills have developed way earlier than anyone else but by the time year 10 comes along and others have kicked on he looks 2nd rate.

Pezz70

Juniors
I have felt a bit sorry for Brooks on that there's been no other halfback who has come close to having had 5 first grade coaches ( including an interim coach) and God knows how many spine partners over 7 years...it doesn't account for all of it but it sure hasn't helped him....if he'd have been snapped up by another club after his debut he'd probably be an elite halfback by now...we all saw what we saw back then.
I’ve always been a supporter...... until the very end of last season, what you say is true though he has never had the chance to play in a ‘true’ team, always been stuff going on around him. Got to give him points for loyalty too, when the other three mugs left he Probly could’ve got a dollar elsewhere but stayed loyal. Kudos to him, maybe the fans owe him one more season of support :weary:

Tigerm

First Grade
I’ve always been a supporter...... until the very end of last season, what you say is true though he has never had the chance to play in a ‘true’ team, always been stuff going on around him. Got to give him points for loyalty too, when the other three mugs left he Probly could’ve got a dollar elsewhere but stayed loyal. Kudos to him, maybe the fans owe him one more season of support :weary:
Yeah, nah, he’s had 7 years.

I don’t believe you can keep blaming others, he’s a professional footy player, his game is his reputation and what he gets paid for.

we haven’t been in finals footy in his time here, he is the only one still playing since he started, to me he is the constant stat for that 7 years.

Vozzy

Juniors
The only time Brooks seems to have confidence is when he is running the ball and his one on one defense isn't too bad sometimes he can have a bad read though. I just think Brooks is no longer a halfback I don't know if the game changed to the point he couldn't adapt. But he is a good runner. Even before the Hastings rumor I thought Brooks would be a better lock sounds a bit dumb but in defence he would have front rowers either side of him. He can't organise a side but I still think he could have value if 2 other halves did the organising and he just ran the ball with foot work around the ruck and obviously he has a passing game. He then wouldn't have to kick it or direct just be free to follow the ruck a bit. As bad as he was he still looked the most likely to make a break against the Roosters I just think a Bellemey would find a use for him cos he does have some strengths to his game but not as a full half back. Sometimes the Storm play both Papenhauzen and Hines where Hines comes on to follow the ruck run a forwards and chime into a movement he could be this.

Tigerm

First Grade
The only time Brooks seems to have confidence is when he is running the ball and his one on one defense isn't too bad sometimes he can have a bad read though. I just think Brooks is no longer a halfback I don't know if the game changed to the point he couldn't adapt. But he is a good runner. Even before the Hastings rumor I thought Brooks would be a better lock sounds a bit dumb but in defence he would have front rowers either side of him. He can't organise a side but I still think he could have value if 2 other halves did the organising and he just ran the ball with foot work around the ruck and obviously he has a passing game. He then wouldn't have to kick it or direct just be free to follow the ruck a bit. As bad as he was he still looked the most likely to make a break against the Roosters I just think a Bellemey would find a use for him cos he does have some strengths to his game but not as a full half back. Sometimes the Storm play both Papenhauzen and Hines where Hines comes on to follow the ruck run a forwards and chime into a movement he could be this.
Yep, I’ve said it a few times, as have others, I think he is worth a shot at 9?

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brooks seems to be like that kid in school who is great in year 7 footy because his skills have developed way earlier than anyone else but by the time year 10 comes along and others have kicked on he looks 2nd rate.
In balmains successful junior rep cup teams especially the champion sg ball sides the most significant player who we wouldn’t have won without was moses.Brooks had a terrible run with injuries in the juniors.Watching them in the juniors IMO moses was always the most likely to cut it in the NRL.I’m not a fan of moses as a person but at the melodramatic time of the big 4 hoaxes contracts saga I was hoping we’d retain the turd & moses.Had we retained these 2 I’ve no doubt we couldve become a title contender.
It does my head in that we stuck by a glaring lemon for 8 yrs & have paid him a fortune for dishing out absolute garbage.The only other industry u get away with perpetually appalling performances while inversely receiving pay increases is in the Government.

Tiger Ted

Bench
In the best interests of brooks & WT we must sever ties with him ASAP & he should reacquaint himself with his old 20’s coach.Maybe Thurston & Payten can perform a miracle & transform him into a half decent player although IMO they have buckleys.

Fordy20

Juniors
In the best interests of brooks & WT we must sever ties with him ASAP & he should reacquaint himself with his old 20’s coach.Maybe Thurston & Payten can perform a miracle & transform him into a half decent player although IMO they have buckleys.

I don't think it would take a miracle for Thurston and Payten to turn Brooks into a decent player. It not might even take a season with a quality halfback like JT mentoring Brooks.

I can't believe we re-signed him til the end of 2023. And if those $$ are to be believed it's just madness. He's a $500k player at the very most. Even that's being generous.

As long as he's a fixture of the first grade team we won't be making the finals. His kicking game, both long and short is appalling. He's got no long passing game at all and his short passes often put the receiver in a worse position than he is in.

He can run the ball but often runs too much or not enough. Never seems to get the balance right. His defence is serviceable and I'll take my hat off to him here. He improved massively in this area from the start of his career.

The most important thing you want from your half is game management and consistency. He doesn't have either of these.

Even if he was good at half the things I mentioned he might be an ok first grade half, but sadly he's not.

I can't see anyone taking him off our hands unless we contribute at least half his salary. I don't think we should do this.

stryker

First Grade
I have felt a bit sorry for Brooks in that there's been no other halfback who has come close to having had 5 first grade coaches ( including an interim coach) and God knows how many spine partners over 7 years...it doesn't account for all of it but it sure hasn't helped him....if he'd have been snapped up by another club after his debut he'd probably be an elite halfback by now...we all saw what we saw back then.
Don’t feel too sorry for him. He has lived what is most of our dreams for 7 years now, been paid multiple millions to do so and has guaranteed income for this year and next. Plenty of better players than him came and went during this time frame. He has been kissed on the dick by many fairies.

Latest posts