What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Six Again / Rule Changes

nick87

Coach
IMO the six again is being utilised by some sides after a kick to hold back the opposition,

Kick to the corner, tackle the returner three metres out and hold down so you can form a line.

Six again given but easily hold the attack within the 30 as the defence is fully set.

Should be a proper kick for touch penalty or even a 20 metre tap with seven tackles.
Been that way since the rule was instituted
The best teams in the comp are actively TRYING to give set resets away on tackles 0, 1 and 2 when they've got them trapped inside the 20

Either the ref calls it and no worries, you'll be fine taking another 1-2 tackles, and you know you'll get your fair share coming back the other way at some point. If they dont call it, you're really getting a massive territory advantage.

I know watching the Raiders, Roosters, Storm and Panthers closely, they're all doing this to great effect.

Its a tricky one. I think the one with Jack Bird, Sutton mightve thought it was 100% a try but missed the knock on, so last year he wouldve awarded it but we wouldve found it to be howler.

I like the idea of eliminating the howlers provided it doesnt take the Bunker forever to look at it. So in some cases over the weekend we still had the issue with the Bunker.

Its a good point about the game clock, it was raised last night that about a minute was lost. Should the decision be overturned, do you think the clock should go back a minute or should time be stopped from a try is awarded?

Good post.

A few things here...

Firstly I sincerely thought that ref had a pretty good game. Most of the contentious calls were correct IMO. Can't remember his name but seems like a new bloke who handled it very well. Maybe a forward pass missed in the Sharks try out wide late in the game, but that's it.

The Bunker review - I hate it after try award. I don't blame the ref, he makes a call and would be very hard to pick up the ball hitting Birds arm in the fast collision that was. And even if he could - whether it was forward, sideways, backwards etc. And what initially looked like it could have been a high tackle definitely proved it wasn't in replay. Good game from the whistleblower.

The Bunker review / match clock - I thought I heard the commentators say that they reset the match clock for time lost. I didn't see the clock reset myself but assume that was the case.

Speed of decision. This one above, and the Broncos one were absolutely critical in the scheme of the match. I agree that bunkers' have laboured too long in the past, and primarily over blatantly obvious situations. But I'm sure I'm not alone here when it wasn't conclusive after the first replay in the Broncos or Dragons Game.. I still reckon Broncos could have been a try - and even though the ball hit Bird's arm - did it actually go forward? Or sideways... - They only decided that on a replay from behind the play at ground level... They deserved closer scrutiny..

Howlers. That's what DRS in Cricket has always been suggested it was designed to get rid of. But it can't be limited to that and has never been. It would appear the same with the NRL. I wouldn't call any of those Bunker calls as a howler in a match - a blatantly overlooked or incorrect call of the ref. And it's being used for everything now.

I was all for the Bunker in the last few seasons - and while they cop flack - the overwhelming majority of decisions they make are correct. But the use of the Bunker, especially now after tries are "awarded" could be the biggest killjoy the NRL has ever seen.

edabomb

First Grade
Not a fan of it. The ball should be played from where they would have made the scrum.

Yup it was a time saver that takes almost as much time as a scrum would. Looks scrappier, I can also imagine it being hard to explain to a new fan as doesn't a kick on any tackle prior still result in a scrum?

Munky

Coach
they can put the scrum there now :)

On the 6 again, anyone notice teams giving it away on the first on a quick turn overt ?

I mentioned this above, you give away an extra tackle in order to fully set your defensive line.

It's a no brainier and helps with inevitable square ups.

Someguy

First Grade
Been that way since the rule was instituted
The best teams in the comp are actively TRYING to give set resets away on tackles 0, 1 and 2 when they've got them trapped inside the 20

Either the ref calls it and no worries, you'll be fine taking another 1-2 tackles, and you know you'll get your fair share coming back the other way at some point. If they dont call it, you're really getting a massive territory advantage.

I know watching the Raiders, Roosters, Storm and Panthers closely, they're all doing this to great effect.

The worst part of it is teams will give an early 6 again then even more blatantly hold down the tackled player at the back end of the set knowing that the refs give more leeway on the last tackle. That and the players leaving defensive line long before the ball is played to pressure the playmaker on 4th and 5th tackle

T-Boon

Coach
All these thing just to try to bring fatigue in so defense is less dominant. Just go to 11 aside.

siv

First Grade
One other ajystment I reckon we should have

If you bundle a player into touch. It shouldn't be a play the ball but a scrum, as it usually happens in a attacking location

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Luke Keary - ACL
Joseph Tapine - Achilles
Ben Hunt - Broken Fibula
Michael Morgan - staring down a medical retirement with a recurring shoulder
Bradman Best - Out indefinitely

I'm sure I'm missing a couple and that is half a weekend of footy. The breakdowns have begun. The players bodies aren't able to keep up with these rule changes and we're starting to see the results. The NRL are completely inept and clubs should be screaming blue murder about it.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Luke Keary - ACL
Joseph Tapine - Achilles
Ben Hunt - Broken Fibula

I'm sure I'm missing a couple and that is half a weekend of footy. The breakdowns have begun. The players bodies aren't able to keep up with these rule changes and we're starting to see the results. The NRL are completely inept and clubs should be screaming blue murder about it.
You dumb merkin

Zadar

Juniors
With the concussion rule so prominent these days, is it not a duty of care from the NRL that we are able to have emergencies on the bench that can come on to replace a player if he is ruled out for the match?

is this the battle of attrition that the NRL were after? Condemning a team to play with no reserves?

The clubs are trying to do the right thing by the player, by standing him down, yet their reward is seeing the rest of the team play to the point of exhaustion.

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
With the concussion rule so prominent these days, is it not a duty of care from the NRL that we are able to have emergencies on the bench that can come on to replace a player if he is ruled out for the match?

is this the battle of nutrition that the NRL were after? Condemning a team to play with no reserves?

The clubs are trying to do the right thing by the player, by standing him down, yet their reward is seeing the rest of the team play to the point of exhaustion.
Just imagine the way scumf**k sides like Melbourne would abuse that

Travitoh

First Grade
The game is in a transition period with the 6-again rules. In a couple of seasons players will adapt and become conditioned to the new tempo. The teams that are struggling at the moment are the ones who didn't get the memo about the power forward game fading out anyway.

Travitoh

First Grade
Luke Keary - ACL
Joseph Tapine - Achilles
Ben Hunt - Broken Fibula

All injuries that happen at every level of the game in every season. Nothing to do with fatigue.

Zadar

Juniors
The game is in a transition period with the 6-again rules. In a couple of seasons players will adapt and become conditioned to the new tempo. The teams that are struggling at the moment are the ones who didn't get the memo about the power forward game fading out anyway.

I think the HIA is the big one though, injuries are part of the game, but the NRL are forcing teams to do right with the HIA, but leaving a team with 2 or more down because of it, is really becoming an issue.

I find it hard to see it being abused, when the 18 or 19th man isn’t usually a player that is a superstar.