What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Six Again / Rule Changes

siv

First Grade
We need to invent a new hand signal for the 10m 6 again call

When a penalty was awarded we get 2 signals

The penalty and a second showing fans and players, commentators why

We are missing the why part for the 6 again calls

The game is in a transition period with the 6-again rules. In a couple of seasons players will adapt and become conditioned to the new tempo. The teams that are struggling at the moment are the ones who didn't get the memo about the power forward game fading out anyway.
Absolutely. The question is what sort of game do you want it to become? It seems to be more of an endurance sport now, as opposed to collision. We won't see as many players the like of Willie Mason, Mark Carroll, Mark O'Meeley etc.
Unless there is something to address this, e.g. reintroduce the shoulder charge (which they're not going to do), the physicality of the game is significantly reduced.
Also, the overall product will be less appealing as a spectacle in my opinion. It's less strategic / academic, i.e. less like the NFL and more like the AFL.

Travitoh

First Grade
Absolutely. The question is what sort of game do you want it to become? It seems to be more of an endurance sport now, as opposed to collision. We won't see as many players the like of Willie Mason, Mark Carroll, Mark O'Meeley etc.
Unless there is something to address this, e.g. reintroduce the shoulder charge (which they're not going to do), the physicality of the game is significantly reduced.
Also, the overall product will be less appealing as a spectacle in my opinion. It's less strategic / academic, i.e. less like the NFL and more like the AFL.

As the players evolve with the game, forwards in particular, the playing field will equalise between forwards and backs. The Radley's, Murray's or Taumalolo's will become the prototypical middle forward. Players like David Fifita and Kikau may even become middles. There will still be physical contact, it just won't be between monster humans who struggle to play more than a half

fourplay

Juniors
With the concussion rule so prominent these days, is it not a duty of care from the NRL that we are able to have emergencies on the bench that can come on to replace a player if he is ruled out for the match?

is this the battle of attrition that the NRL were after? Condemning a team to play with no reserves?

The clubs are trying to do the right thing by the player, by standing him down, yet their reward is seeing the rest of the team play to the point of exhaustion.

There already is 4 emergency replacements for every team, every match. Why do you think they're called reserves?

King hit

Coach
Luke Keary - ACL
Joseph Tapine - Achilles
Ben Hunt - Broken Fibula
Michael Morgan - staring down a medical retirement with a recurring shoulder
Bradman Best - Out indefinitely

I'm sure I'm missing a couple and that is half a weekend of footy. The breakdowns have begun. The players bodies aren't able to keep up with these rule changes and we're starting to see the results. The NRL are completely inept and clubs should be screaming blue murder about it.
D6FC7C56-52A3-4A45-817C-29EF29173E63.jpeg

Vee

First Grade
I like a suggestion from PK on 360 tonight, penalties outside the attacking 20, 6 again inside, to curb the cynical breaches on early tackles coming out of your red zone.

I'd suggest going further with penalties for breaches in the 1st two tackles and the non-offending captain able to take a penalty over a 6 again at any time.

siv

First Grade
I prefer penalties inside your 40 while 6 again beyond this

But 6 again for 10m breaches is being exploited and needs a different hand signal

No one knows when its being called, other than its a late 6 again call and prompotes umbrella offside play

LineBall

Juniors
I prefer penalties inside your 40 while 6 again beyond this

But 6 again for 10m breaches is being exploited and needs a different hand signal

No one knows when its being called, other than its a late 6 again call and prompotes umbrella offside play

I’d still prefer they blow a penalty as they used to, and non offending team has three options:

1. Tap kick and restart the tackle count.
2. Kick for touch, with no restart of the count.
3. Kick at goal.

This would allow everybody to see what the penalty was for, and would even out the difference in giving a penalty on the first or last tackle in a set. I’m not a fan of giving 6 again only in the attacking zone because if you’re behind by 1 or 2 points, you should have the option of taking the shot at goal. I would also advocate for the 5 minute sin in for repeat infringements.

T-Boon

Coach
I’d still prefer they blow a penalty as they used to, and non offending team has three options:

3. Kick at goal.

This would allow everybody to see what the penalty was for, and would even out the difference in giving a penalty on the first or last tackle in a set. I’m not a fan of giving 6 again only in the attacking zone because if you’re behind by 1 or 2 points, you should have the option of taking the shot at goal. I would also advocate for the 5 minute sin in for repeat infringements.

I agree provided the tap restart option with 6 again they get to go straight away and dont have to wait around for the defense to get set.

Vee

First Grade

3. Kick at goal.

As long as there are no arguments permitted from the offending captain to slow the game down and rest his defence.

simmo05

Bench
98-0 in two matches so far this week.
Is this the new all-improved football?
Both entertaining games. I despise the storms, but their game this year is awesome. And the riff might well be unstoppable. This year might be dominated by the few, but I think next year will be when all the teams work out the new rules and will be a much tighter comp.

Btw, only a few weeks ago most pundits were spruiking souffs and raiders to be absolute locks on the top 6, maybe not so much now

typicalfan

Coach
I like a suggestion from PK on 360 tonight, penalties outside the attacking 20, 6 again inside, to curb the cynical breaches on early tackles coming out of your red zone.

I'd suggest going further with penalties for breaches in the 1st two tackles and the non-offending captain able to take a penalty over a 6 again at any time.
More cynical breaches happen in the attacking zone than anywhere else. There are usually blatant ones every game.

johns_reds

First Grade
We cant hold the game up for those 5 crap clubs for ever. They have had long enough, time to expand.
You realise it is the top teams that will be raided of talent. New teams aren’t going for the shit players.

it will just bring the top teams down instead of bringing the bad teams up

You realise it is the top teams that will be raided of talent.

it will just bring the top teams down instead of bringing the bad teams up

Which top teams fell victim to Western Reds and Crushers when they joined? I think a lot of players know the first years of a new club are arduous at best.

Latest posts