What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked

redVinme

Juniors
Because it's never too early...

Barrett
Payten
Walters

All first year and struggling

Des
Madge

Just both renewed.

Any smokies?

Would any club sack their first year coach?

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Because it's never too early...

Barrett
Payten
Walters

All first year and struggling

Des
Madge

Just both renewed.

Any smokes?

Would any club sack their first year coach?
Time for clubs to get clever and add more rigor to their selection and even development of coaches. I wouldn’t give any of that lot more than 2 years max. Forget the bullshit of needing 3 years to grow..... As Griffin shown you can change things around quickly without busting the bank. Media hype these coaches up beyond their ability and their worth in my opinion.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
sincerely doubt any of the couaches will be sacked this year, costs too much to replace them so quickly
It's a tough gig being an NRL head coach. Lots of pressure to perform and if they just don't have the "complete" cattle, the wins are hard to come by.

Coaches like Bennett, Bellamy, Stuart, Arthur, Robinson and a couple of others, and I would like to throw in Griffin, have been able to "lure" the best players or the best potential players to their clubs because of their successes. There are of course several coaches who have been in the game for many years such as Maguire, Hasler and others, not having the cattle but are proven coaches.

The newer ones, well, good luck to them. They will either sink or swim.

As saints4ever posted, the cost to sack a coach would be too high and getting a suitable replacement would be hard now for this year. So no sackings this year.

possm

Coach
Payton will go 100%
Tamalolo and Holmes father riding him.. he’s a gonner .. watch Flanagan fly in.. son in tow..
Maybe Flannigan to replace Young and if things do not improve by mid season, Flannigan gets clearance to be interim coach.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Couldn’t give 2 f...s about Barrett the attacking scientist or Payton the coach they played for or Walters who knows about what it is to be at a club like the Broncos. The same fwits that were blowing over McMoron are the same media experts that were blowing over the 3 mentioned. I know you need cattle but I told a few mates of mine hook may not be a media Favourite but he is an out and out coach of footy players.

Dragsters

First Grade
Time for clubs to get clever and add more rigor to their selection and even development of coaches. I wouldn’t give any of that lot more than 2 years max. Forget the bullshit of needing 3 years to grow..... As Griffin shown you can change things around quickly without busting the bank. Media hype these coaches up beyond their ability and their worth in my opinion.

Can't beat experience when it comes to coaching...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Can't beat experience when it comes to coaching...
And sometimes you can..

images

Gareth67

First Grade
What does surprise me about Maguire is that , at least to me he has bought well in the off-season , in fact he has had some very handy players at the club , but has not been able to weld them into a cohesive unit . Perhaps he has lost the touch that bought the wabbits success back in 2014 ?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
What does surprise me about Maguire is that , at least to me he has bought well in the off-season , in fact he has had some very handy players at the club , but has not been able to weld them into a cohesive unit . Perhaps he has lost the touch that bought the wabbits success back in 2014 ?
I always thought he took 2 years too long to win that title Gareth and their game plan was so predictable after they did. Despite their boring backline attack he still left Keary in Reserve Grade: Amazing!

Slackboy72

Coach

hewi

Bench
The competition appears to be splitting into two , the top sides predictably have the top coaches. The problem as I see it is there are only really 6/8 good coaches and without one of them you don’t succeed.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Payten will be first imo. Looks like he’s lost the shed already. Barrett has the worst roster but has some extremely handy options coming next year. He just has to get them competing and he’ll keep his job. Walters hopefully will get a bit of time. The Broncs could go okay if they click. I think it’s time to put Milf on the bench as a utility and just run with Dearden at 7, he looks silky and dangerous but a bit small. I’d try to turn Staggs into a running 5/8 outside him or get an experienced hand like Widdop to partner him and they should go okay. Great forwards, and some big fast outside backs.

Latest posts