What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France wants to host 2025 World Cup

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...rGhCnfOmohnpHTeBiQ7qIxV9cmJxklCp6LY9QKUGkn_Qk

New International Rugby League chairman Troy Grant is pressing for France to host the next Rugby League World Cup in 2025.

France, who hosted the inaugural tournament in 1954, are set to fill the hole created by the collapse of the bid by provisional hosts America, who are now being seen by Grant as a potential venue for 2029.

Grant, a former NSW Police Minister and Deputy Premier who has succeeded New Zealander Greg Barclay as chairman of the international body, outlined his vision at a media briefing conducted via zoom in which he promised transparency and accessibility.

Grant, who was appointed as an independent director in February 2020, says the IRL has ditched the traditional bidding process for hosting World Cups and he has begun talks over 2025 with new French president Luc Lacoste.

“France has to be a strategic priority,” he said. “Hopefully we can build a compelling argument for the French Government to be the host in partnership with us.

“I pitched to the French Government that the Rugby League World Cup would be a trifecta of international events following the Rugby World Cup in 2023 and the Paris Olympics in 2024.

“We have to get that development back into France, which will be critical for another step up into broader Europe as well.

“They are happy to either have it wholly within France or look at a multi-nation format with France as the lead.”

The International Rugby League board are planning to stage the 2025 World Cup in France.

Strengthening the game in France has been targeted as a "strategic priority" by the IRL's new chairman Troy Grant.

And he says work has already begun to persuade the French government to back the idea of the country hosting the world event.

"We've started that work," said Grant. "It's very early but I've pitched it to the French government."

"The Rugby League World Cup would be part of a trifecta of events following the Rugby (union) World Cup in 2023, the Paris Olympics in 2024 and the Rugby League World Cup in 2025."

It would be the first time France has hosted the tournament outright, which they kicked off in 1954, since the 1972 competition which was won by Great Britain.

And Grant is hoping that a decision can be made before this year's World Cup starts.

The former Australian politician has been unveiled as the new chairman of the IRL replacing Greg Barclay, who will remain on the board as an independent director despite standing down in response to his recent appointment as chairman of the International Cricket Council.

The International Rugby League board are planning to stage the 2025 World Cup in France.

Strengthening the game in France has been targeted as a "strategic priority" by the IRL's new chairman Troy Grant.

And he says work has already begun to persuade the French government to back the idea of the country hosting the world event.
_117757616__am30715.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/56578333

"We've started that work," said Grant. "It's very early but I've pitched it to the French government."

"The Rugby League World Cup would be part of a trifecta of events following the Rugby (union) World Cup in 2023, the Paris Olympics in 2024 and the Rugby League World Cup in 2025."

It would be the first time France has hosted the tournament outright, which they kicked off in 1954, since the 1972 competition which was won by Great Britain.

And Grant is hoping that a decision can be made before this year's World Cup starts.

The former Australian politician has been unveiled as the new chairman of the IRL replacing Greg Barclay, who will remain on the board as an independent director despite standing down in response to his recent appointment as chairman of the International Cricket Council.

The Great Dane

First Grade
So France doesn't want to host it so much as the Chairman of IRL wants them to host it.

As long as they can pull it off I don't have an issue with it in theory, but if I'm honest I doubt they could pull it off and I doubt that the French government would put to much effort into it.

If we seriously don't want it in the UK or Australia, then NZ (maybe with an AUS conference) would be a better bet than France IMO. At the very least their government would take it seriously and their media would actually give it some publicity.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Oh so negative. The whole game from the idiots running it to the so called supporters esp in the UK are so negative, I guess you get what you wish for. No wonder I have only watched 1 game in the last 8 months.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Listen to the current editIon of the Chasing Kangaroos Podcast...France is Back!

French President Luc Lacoste is the guest, he mentions the WC at the end and it was part of his election promises.

He has contacts in government.

Some supporters think league will always be the way it is today and hasnt the possibility to grow and will just stand still.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Oh so negative. The whole game from the idiots running it to the so called supporters esp in the UK are so negative, I guess you get what you wish for. No wonder I have only watched 1 game in the last 8 months.

Listen to the current editIon of the Chasing Kangaroos Podcast...France is Back!

French President Luc Lacoste is the guest, he mentions the WC at the end and it was part of his election promises.

Some supporters think league will always be the way it is today and hasnt the possibility to grow and will just stand still.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Being sceptical is not being negative, it's being rational.

The reality is that France has been 'back' about a dozen times in the last 20-30 years and it's never amounted to anything, and there's no real reason to believe that anything has changed this time.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Never in 20-30 Years have they seriously considered holding a world cup.
Nor would they now if the new Australian chairman of the IRL wasn't pushing for it.

Every few years they've been on the verge of huge investment in a new professional competition, serious expansion out of the South, a broadcast deal that'll take the game to the next level, etc, etc, and it's never amounted to anything.
Maybe with direct involvement from the IRL they might get this world cup off the ground, but odds are that their hosting a world cup won't amount to much either.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Nor would they now if the new Australian chairman of the IRL wasn't pushing for it.

Every few years they've been on the verge of huge investment in a new professional competition, serious expansion out of the South, a broadcast deal that'll take the game to the next level, etc, etc, and it's never amounted to anything.
Maybe with direct involvement from the IRL they might get this world cup off the ground, but odds are that their hosting a world cup won't amount to much either.

So what...the point is they actually seem to think they can do it with the right assistance.

Did you listen to the podcast? What did you think of the new president?

The Great Dane

First Grade
So what...the point is they actually seem to think they can do it with the right assistance.
Saying you can do something and actually pulling it off are two vastly different things, and talk is cheap.
Did you listen to the podcast? What did you think of the new president?
He'll talk a big game just like all the heads of FFR XIII have for as long as I can remember, and produce little of actual substance, and the Chasing Kangaroos guys will take everything he says totally uncritically and gobble on his knob like they always do.

So why bother?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Saying you can do something and actually pulling it off are two vastly different things, and talk is cheap.

He'll talk a big game just like all the heads of FFR XIII have for as long as I can remember, and produce little of actual substance, and the Chasing Kangaroos guys will take everything he says totally uncritically and gobble on his knob like they always do.

So why bother?

Because in this game you have to project success and hope momentum builds to enable you to follow through. And if at first you don't succeed you try, try again.

If that frustrates a few folk on a forum somewhere, who cares.

If France try to run a world cup, it would be....interesting. I couldn't see the highly xv biased french media diong them any favours, and without the media it would be a hard slog.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Because in this game you have to project success and hope momentum builds to enable you to follow through. And if at first you don't succeed you try, try again.
Nobody is saying don't project success, they are saying be reasonable. Learn to walk before you try to run.

Proving that they can find the investment to regularly host meaningful internationals would be a good start before trying to jump straight to the largest international competition.