What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Parramatta @ Stadium Australia

Who will win? Round 4: Wests Tigers v Parramatta

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiger Ted

Bench
Although I don’t believe they deserved the 6 again call x2... we just don’t ever seem to be able to defend our line. Does my head in every single week going right back to 2011and now my head hurts a little.
Being so damn meek when defending our line is doing my head in more so than our woeful game management.

stryker

First Grade
These first 4 games were always going to be extremely tough, though to come back was a positive, as Vic said the next month or so, should show us what we have got.
The problem for me is that three of these games were there for the taking.
Rd1 - our forwards won the first half. The Raiders attack couldn’t get flowing. We were frustrating them. Then our discipline went to mud and we let them get a roll on. Had we possessed a controlling half or a leader at all, we could have strangled them out of that game and won.
Rd2 - A far better side flogged us. We were never in it.
Rd3 - Newcastle were diabolical. They were inept and apart from a 10 minute stretch late in the second half, we were the better side. That said, we were aweful as well and lucky to win.
Rd4 - Parra were pretty good in the first 40 but through their mistakes, we were sticking with them. Parras second 40 was dogshit personified. If we played disciplined percentage footy, their continual stuff ups would have provided ample opportunities to win. In the end, we played trash and still nearly got them.

I thought we could have started the season 1 & 3 and we have. However the way we have played has really pissed me off. 1 & 3 is actually unders considering how poorly three of our opposition teams have played. Had our experienced players and playmakers knuckled down and led the team professionally, we could have been 2 & 2 at a minimum, with the Raiders game a possibility for points as well.

The next month brings Cowboys who are dreadful, Rabbits who should arse rape us, Manly who are a rabble and Dragons who are a mixed bag but playing well. The aim is for at least 3 wins here if we play well. Personally I only think we’ll knock the horrible Cowboys off next week. We are not playing good football which means we are there for the taking. It will be tough month as opposition coaches will zero in on us for hopeful points. Let’s see what this squad has in them. What they have shown so far is not encouraging.

simmo1

First Grade
The middle men were strong, especially in the 2nd half fightback, but poor literally everywhere else. The edges are horrific in both attack and defence especially in the 20m red zones. No set plays to speak of, with most of our opportunities coming from poor 1v1 misses (of which we always offer up more than our opponents give us).

This team would go OK under the old rules, but the game is simply to quick for them at the moment.

Was at the game. That fight in the 2nd half was very spirited but Parra were beyond terrible and tried everything to try and lose that imo rather than us being better

will have to see that “offside” try replay but looked pretty suss to me
I was at the game and my take was, the 6 & 7 were pretty bad, if they are playing as per the coaches instructions, grow some, both of you stand deep and have the outside backs and any forward running off of you two to stand deep as well. JTJ is wasted standing flat. Still need a winger on the left.

Gee they need a ball playing forward and I don’t mean someone like LL who thinks he needs to keep the ball alive from impossible situations (good pass for Brooks that led to try though).

I think the forward rotation is wrong though, I’d start with JO and bring Musgrove on where JO was coming on, simply based on size.

JL and AT were very good with their defence, shame others couldn’t help them and wrap the ball carriers up.

Then I went home and watched a replay (ok I ffw plenty) and the score flattered them but who cares, score wise at least it wasn’t like the other blowouts this round.

WA Tiger

Bench
Of course he has! Why can't clubs see that a player who has an outstanding year when their contract is up, has been phoning it in the whole time?
More like Nofo’s had no gold plated service from Benji like he got last year..surely that was inevitable this year .....And now there’s no one to create opportunities for him or the Jet unfortunately .. AD does try the long pass but you dont just imitate Benji passes do you. There’s a bit more to it than that

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
More like Nofo’s had no gold plated service from Benji like he got last year..surely that was inevitable this year .....And now there’s no one to create opportunities for him or the Jet unfortunately .. AD does try the long pass but you dont just imitate Benji passes do you. There’s a bit more to it than that
That is a good point i must say , Laurie would be loving it as well. But there doesnt seem to much hunger and enthusiasm from Nofo in 2021 to be honest

Maxxn99

Juniors
We are massively way too passive out there when it comes to :- Line Speed
Edge defence
Any forward putting on a big hit
Please add more to list if I’ve missed some.

WA Tiger

Bench
That is a good point i must say , Laurie would be loving it as well. But there doesnt seem to much hunger and enthusiasm from Nofo in 2021 to be honest
For us it’s all about the halves..Madge brought them both in on mega dollars and it’d be my pleasure for all 3 to catch the same bus out of here..He’s certainly choking on what were his decisions

Brooks running game won’t get us into the finals..by itself it’s not enough and the spark is too predictable .(despite his nice kick that lead to a try that will if we are lucky net maybe one try per game) ..
The worst thing for me is sure Madge recruited Brooks but worse he’s ignoring the Golden opportunity to get rid of him to the cowboys..And he did the same for Talau recently with the potential JAC swap ..By now we could have Laurie at 6, and fullback sewn up as well..just because a solution isn’t staring u in the face thats no reason not to start the fix otherwise there’s not only a spoon waiting but multiple opportunity’s

Nofo can’t just carry on from last year surrounded by these dead weights ...Even JAC would struggle surrounded with the duds Madge is persisting with long term for the sake of stability...and prob the fear of getting it wrong..

Good Coaching can also likely be included in the overall lack of

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
We were good. We just have to be a bit better.

Luc, Brooks, Joe O & Daine L were all really good.

We need to somehow get James Roberts involved and in some space.
Robert’s was looking to be involved today which was good to see, he is not really getting any quality ball be cause we have absolutely no shape or composure when pressing the oppositions line. Liddles try was great as was utoikomano’s. Brooks kicking game better but still not to standard, and Douiehis high bombs were threatening. We have to get our defence in order, if you’re scoring 22 points in a match you should be winning.

Kilkenny

Coach
I am one eyed die hard Panthers fan, but for the most part almost always watch all other games each and every week.

I rate Nofo I think he is a very, very good player, not dissimilar to our own Brian To’o.

Reading your post game thread posts he is the last player you guys should be down on IMO. He is maybe not at his best, not through lack of effort or desire, rather just a victim of a side who sadly have been well beaten in three of your four games. He would make the starting lineups of a majority of the other NRL sides and be outstanding in some of the better sides. On the other hand your youngsters on the left hand side, no disrespect intended but they to me don’t seem to be NRL standard. Maybe it is just me.

Pezz70

Juniors
Regardless we lost and we will keep losing if we can’t find halves that can create something 10 m out on the 5th tackle that doesn’t involve luck...AD has got a high kick and a pass to the winger as his first option ...Neither he not Brooks can assess what’s in front of them then execute..Laurie was the only half that attempted a repeat set grubber unlucky it caught Moses boot...The more AD kicked high the more desperate we looked..

I’m looking at Walters and Laurie for 6,7 ..I think 6,7 are more important positions than 1...That’s my extreme sleep deprived opinion ..I know this will never happen..Talau won’t play on the wing despite guaranteeing a try a game from him there..Next weeks team will stay the same because it was close ..Blah blah

I don’t know where you get this thing about Walter’s. He’s 28 years old and could not get a run anywhere else. There’s no fairy tale arising from him in the halves, but then again there’s no fairy tale in Brooks either. I think Douehi is a good thing at 5/8 and Laurie will make a pretty fair fullback, if we can get some shape and composure in attack. We looked very panicked, very flat when in the oppositions 20, I’d really love to see clean ball to the outside with Laurie coming into the line at pace. With a bit more depth and Laurie, Robert’s and Nofo coming at pace it would be tough for opposition defence. Nice ball to Douehi Or Brooks with Garner running a slight in, and Laurie, Roberts and Nofo deeper and faster is sure to open option if the execution is good.

Pezz70

Juniors
I am one eyed die hard Panthers fan, but for the most part almost always watch all other games each and every week.

I rate Nofo I think he is a very, very good player, not dissimilar to our own Brian To’o.

Reading your post game thread posts he is the last player you guys should be down on IMO. He is maybe not at his best, not through lack of effort or desire, rather just a victim of a side who sadly have been well beaten in three of your four games. He would make the starting lineups of a majority of the other NRL sides and be outstanding in some of the better sides. On the other hand your youngsters on the left hand side, no disrespect intended but they to me don’t seem to be NRL standard. Maybe it is just me.

Correct, Kepoa not ready for NRL and Talau is a winger.

Pezz70

Juniors
Nofo tried hard, has gone back to running cross field a bit. Could see he was very frustrated with the way they played today

WA Tiger

Bench
For us it’s all about the halves..Madge brought them both in on mega dollars and it’d be my pleasure for all 3 to catch the same bus out of here..He’s certainly choking on what were his decisions

Brooks running game won’t get us into the finals..by itself it’s not enough and the spark is too predictable .(despite his nice kick that lead to a try that will if we are lucky net maybe one try per game) ..
The worst thing for me is sure Madge recruited Brooks but worse he’s ignoring the Golden opportunity to get rid of him to the cowboys..And he did the same for Talau recently with the potential JAC swap ..By now we could have Laurie at 6, and fullback sewn up as well..just because a solution isn’t staring u in the face thats no reason not to start the fix otherwise there’s not only a spoon waiting but multiple opportunity’s

Nofo can’t just carry on from last year surrounded by these dead weights ...Even JAC would struggle surrounded with the duds Madge is persisting with long term for the sake of stability...and prob the fear of getting it wrong..

Good Coaching can also likely be included in the overall lack of
And it’s not from lack of effort from Nofo..It was easy to see when he was running the ball up.. the punch in the run was always more than the other backs