What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd4: Eels v Tigers GAME DAY THREAD @ Stadium Australia 5/4/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Has the Gutho obstruction when he was returning a kick been mentioned? What did we think? I thought it was harsh but they didn't show a high shot on replay.

Yeah it looked tough at first. WouId like to see a replay. Think Gutho may have slightly gone behind him then back out towards the sideline.

strider

Post Whore
Has the Gutho obstruction when he was returning a kick been mentioned? What did we think? I thought it was harsh but they didn't show a high shot on replay.
Probably fair call. He didnt run behind another player, but there was a player infront of him he ran next to which obstructed the defender.

As for Braith Anasta whining at halftime about our first try ... yes moses went behind players but no tiger player was making the slightest effort to run to him, so no merkin was obstructed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
As for Braith Anasta whining at halftime about our first try ... yes moses went behind players but no tiger player was making the slightest effort to run to him, so no merkin was obstructed.

I think Anasta was happy for it to be awarded, it was just a very similar one was denied to the Roosters the night before. So no consistency.

I can see his point.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Regarding the bench, either he wants them to get fitter so whatever happened to last weeks Canberra and sharks wouldn't affect us.

Or, he is using the bench depending on what is unfolding.

It was a 2 pt ball game at one stage so he needed his best out there to win.

Last year, he was mechanical, used the bench like it was preplanned and I think that was worse

Hopefully they get a rest during training like gutho did our get a rest in future games

Also doesn't help that 2/4 of our usual bench players were in the starting 13 yesterday. Once they move back to the bench, they'll get more minutes than Hipgrave and Stone/Smith

TheRam

Coach
My take on the game.

We were never, ever, in doubt. It was an entertaining game that’s it. We have about 3 more gears to go.

Without looking too far ahead, we are one of 2 clubs that are undefeated. Enjoy that.

we genuinely have a top 2 team. How good!

Couldn't agree more.

La la la la la la la la la...

TheRam

Coach
I think Anasta was happy for it to be awarded, it was just a very similar one was denied to the Roosters the night before. So no consistency.

I can see his point.

No it wasn't similar in the sense that Moses was never going to be tackled by the defenders and they never even tried.

The Roosters one they were closer and could have gotten to him and were legitimately impeded.

The only reason Anasta brought it up was because it was against his beloved Co*ks and he isn't a big fan of the Eels.

Gronk

Staff member
Once again we showed a lack of killer instinct that the top sides have, the game was there to be put away and we couldn’t do it. I can only imagine Bellamy’s reaction he would of been pissed and rightly so. Yet our coach was happy with the effort and that we won. The different standards speak volumes.

When did BA say that he was happy with the effort ? Not in the presser I watched.

BA is more focussed on not giving the vultures something to write about.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Our top tacklers, all played 80min

Reed 47, missed 4 (ran 5 times for 46m)
Dylan Brown 39, missed 3 (also ran 13 times for 102m)
Lane 40, missed 2 (ran 9 times for 87m)

Papali'i 36, missed 0
He also ran 166m, highest of any forward, 5 one on one tackles highest in the game as well

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Papali'i 36, missed 0
He also ran 166m, highest of any forward, 5 one on one tackles highest in the game as well

There were a few times where Dyl went looking for the tackle yesterday. Unsure if it was laziness from those around him or something else but I think he needs to do a little bit less defensive work

Gazzamatta

Coach
On the bench rotation, I reckon the subs wouId have got a bit more time, but the closeness in the last 15 or so, forced BA to bring his starting middles back on for more time.
Seems to be the case most weeks but without Marata and Ice coming from the bench it's probably understandable. Needs to be careful not to overplay his best guys. Lane never gets a break either which I think he would benefit from. Maybe when we get Matto back it might improve/change.
Although Rheed is killing it BA needs to be careful with him as well. I'm not a fan of W Smith but I think hooker is his best position and he should be providing some relief for Rheed.

IFR33K

Coach
Probably fair call. He didnt run behind another player, but there was a player infront of him he ran next to which obstructed the defender.

Yeah was thinking the same thing. Do these merkins know the rules. You can run behind your own player, as long as no opponent is impeded.

TheRam

Coach

Papali'i 36, missed 0

How good is Papali'i going? I thought he would be solid at best with the occasional standout game, but he has been magnificent. He was never this good or consistent at the Warriors. It is amazing what fitness, attitude and maturity can do for some players.

I have been loath to say anything about the guy for fear of jinxing him, but wow. Just wow! He is a revelation. There have been 4 players that have improved significantly on previous form and been outstanding so far this season and a huge reason as to why we look so much better capable of winning even when we as a team are off our game.

Niakore, Papali'i, Mahoney and Moses.

Also Fergo, Sivo and Lane have improved above last years efforts, especially Fergo, but they need to focus a little more and find consistency. But they are getting there.

Sphagnum

Coach
How good is Papali'i going? I thought he would be solid at best with the occasional standout game, but he has been magnificent. He was never this good or consistent at the Warriors. It is amazing what fitness, attitude and maturity can do for some players.

I have been loath to say anything about the guy for fear of jinxing him, but wow. Just wow! He is a revelation. There have been 4 players that have improved significantly on previous form and been outstanding so far this season and a huge reason as to why we look so much better capable of winning even when we as a team are off our game.

Also Fergo, Sivo and Lane have improved above last years efforts, especially Fergo, but they need to focus a little more and find consistency. But they are getting there.
It’s amazing what some serious competition for spots in the back row can do hey?

hindy111

Post Whore

Remember I mentioned Papalì would be good Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts