What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

parrawentyfan

Juniors
It depends who they are trying to represent. If they want to be Redcliffe, then go with Redcliffe but it does seem a bit limiting. I like Moreton Bay personally or even good old 'North Brisbane'. I wouldn't mind any of the bids using South Queensland either.

Would rather not another plain 'Brisbane'.

MugaB

Coach
and your point? You’ve just confirmed what I’ve said, they haven’t discounted calling themselves Brisbane Dolphins and clearly it is a big consideration or they wouldn’t have registered it. The old community consultation thing is usually just something said to justify a decision already made lol.
Well im sure they registered the name, incase the "people" of the area they are asking want to be called brisbane..
This sounds awfully like when the Ilawarra club looking for their mascot.

I actually like it, im actually liking Sunshine State Dolphins, its unique to SEQ and doesn't pigeon hole them into represnting brisbane only, i bit like North QLD or South QLD

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I personally don't see the problem with Redcliffe Dolphins. There are many famous sporting brands around the world including some in the NRL and AFL that sport a suburban name that doesn't seem to limit their appeal if they market correctly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I personally don't see the problem with Redcliffe Dolphins. There are many famous sporting brands around the world including some in the NRL and AFL that sport a suburban name that doesn't seem to limit their appeal if they market correctly.

how many of them play in a stadium one hour from that named supporter base?

Redcliffe was the original location ot the Moreton settlement. Having the name Redcliffe or Moreton would be a nod to history and allow our game to enter discussions in the classroom. When teachers bring up the subject kids will think of Dolphins and Broncos. It'll provide a great rivalry. Queensland's favourite game should be linked with the establishment of civilisation in SEQ.

mongoose

Coach
Redcliffe was the original location ot the Moreton settlement. Having the name Redcliffe or Moreton would be a nod to history and allow our game to enter discussions in the classroom. When teachers bring up the subject kids will think of Dolphins and Broncos. It'll provide a great rivalry. Queensland's favourite game should be linked with the establishment of civilisation in SEQ.

Does anyone in Brisbane or any other moreton bay suburbs actually give a shit about the history of Redcliffe though? It's just another seaside suburb like Sandgate or Wynnum, there is really nothing special about Redcliffe. Even Ipswich is full of heritage listed buildings, Redcliffe barely has any.

Does anyone in Brisbane or any other moreton bay suburbs actually give a shit about the history of Redcliffe though? It's just another seaside suburb like Sandgate or Wynnum, there is really nothing special about Redcliffe. Even Ipswich is full of heritage listed buildings, Redcliffe barely has any.
If they don't give a shit it's because they've never been taught to respect their heritage. 40 years ago young people didn't really give about Australia Day and ANZAC Day, now they go wild over it. Give something historical enough promotion and its prestige will grow until it becomes legendary.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

They'll have an NRL club... that's a claim to fame ;)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
how many of them play in a stadium one hour from that named supporter base?

Again, this assumes that the only fans they'll attract will be from the actual suburbs of Redcliffe which is just not true. In modern times fans can have a connection with a club for many different reasons. Some realistic ones Redcliffe could market on are:

• They aren't the Broncos
  • They have a 70 year history and deep roots in QLD RL
  • They are a football club first, not a corporation and a famous old, local brand at that
  • They provide a chance for neutrals or just RL diehards to get to an NRL game once a week in Brisbane
  • They provide a chance for neutrals, RL diehards or tourists wanting to experience Suncorp more opportunities to do so
  • They have a great mascot for kids
  • They provide a chance for some who love RL and Brisbane / QLD to be their second team (just because they are a Brisbane / QLD team)
The other reason that a 40 min (not 60 min) drive or direct train ride won't bother their existing fans or those from the local area is that most in Brisbane are used to travelling in from outer suburbs to watch NRL footy. It really isn't a big deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again, this assumes that the only fans they'll attract will be from the actual suburbs of Redcliffe which is just not true. In modern times fans can have a connection with a club for many different reasons. Some realistic ones Redcliffe could market on are:

• They aren't the Broncos
  • They have a 70 year history and deep roots in QLD RL
  • They are a football club first, not a corporation and a famous old, local brand at that
  • They provide a chance for neutrals or just RL diehards to get to an NRL game once a week in Brisbane
  • They provide a chance for neutrals, RL diehards or tourists wanting to experience Suncorp more opportunities to do so
  • They have a great mascot for kids
  • They provide a chance for some who love RL and Brisbane / QLD to be their second team (just because they are a Brisbane / QLD team)
The other reason that a 40 min (not 60 min) drive or direct train ride won't bother their existing fans or those from the local area is that most in Brisbane are used to travelling in from outer suburbs to watch NRL footy. It really isn't a big deal.

calling them a regional name like Moreton bay will put people who are 20-30mins in a 360 degree radius of the stadium off for sure. The dolphin brand is great and might help but why would you alienate any potential fan in that arc?

according to google it’s a 60min plus trip by public transport, and that doesn’t include getting from your house to the train, if you wanted to get to a Friday night game for 7.30pm, can only imagine Friday night traffic means the drive wouldn’t be much quicker by prime you’ve found parking near Suncorp.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...5e1!5e2!5e3!6e0!7e2!8j1617989400!3e3?hl=en-au

calling them a regional name like Moreton bay will put people who are 20-30mins in a 360 degree radius of the stadium off for sure. The dolphin brand is great and might help but why would you alienate any potential fan in that arc?

according to google it’s a 60min plus trip by public transport, and that doesn’t include getting from your house to the train, if you wanted to get to a Friday night game for 7.30pm, can only imagine Friday night traffic means the drive wouldn’t be much quicker by prime you’ve found parking near Suncorp.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...5e1!5e2!5e3!6e0!7e2!8j1617989400!3e3?hl=en-au
There's not much parking around Lang Park and it costs a fortune to use the facilities in the CBD.

A broad name like Brisbane has the potential to cover a wider base of supporters, but in all likelihood it won't due to where it is based and its history.

Why call it Brisbane when it's not even based in the City of Brisbane?

Moreton Bay or East Coast make it easier to identify with the club's proud history, as they fit in with the Dolphins theme. I also think the bulk of their supporters will be from the bayside area, so it makes sense to use a name that identifies their catchment.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Re: the train trip, yes you are right - I'm sorry. I was thinking Shorncliffe Station to Roma St but Kippa Ring to Roma St is actually an hour.

My points being though, are that:
  1. the RL fans from that area are already doing that trip if they want to watch NRL football and that we are assuming that only fans from that area will be fans of the NRL club.
  2. Redcliffe aren't just going to be pulling fans from their local area.
  • Yes, Football is a different beast but Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Everton, Tottenham etc. are able to pull fans from across the U.K. and the world.
  • Although not as popular as WC Eagles, Fremantle in your own city doesn't struggle for fans in Perth.
  • Geelong doesn't struggle for fans in Melbourne
  • and Redcliffe in the NRL won't struggle for fans across Brisbane and QLD

Pippen94

First Grade
Morton Bay is limiting particularly when club has designs for sunshine coast & as far south as fans will have them. Sunshine State best name in my view but I will always defer to locals

MugaB

Coach

Hey bro how do you know where i live, ...im actually 50 mins away from Suncorp...
If you mean its 60min train travel from Redcliffe station to Milton, then it probably is, and might even have free community buses from the leagues club from moreton to suncorp, as many clubs in sydney have away buses in the same city, from their leagues club, panthers do...
but that's only for the redcliffe living fan, which if im a cowboys fan living in cairns, i travel!!!
Being the 2nd Brisbane based side either Dolphins or Jets will have this 40 min distance issue, and its better for the league to pick one of these, coz if it works then it can be done again from the other direction a decade later. By then Dolphins would have upgraded their stadium or play more in Sunny Coast (ala St.Merge style 1/2n1/2)
and Brisbane Jets from Ipswich enter as Suncorps new tennant, then after that if Springfield gets a 25k seater stadium, they"ll move there and Easts get the nod the following expansion to become brisbanes second team... by then population increase might require a 4th Brisbane team or the Bronx 11th wooden spoon will get boring enough that expansion would improve ratings in the area.
If you start with Easts before the other two, its finished you wont draw fans from greater SEQ as far as Moreton or Ipswich if its strictly a inner city team of Redlands this way you are creating rusted on fans from under a hour away from Suncorp to watch overtime as the teams create and grow themselves via stadiums and moving closer to their respective communities of where they train 7 days a week

mongoose

Coach
Re: the train trip, yes you are right - I'm sorry. I was thinking Shorncliffe Station to Roma St but Kippa Ring to Roma St is actually an hour.

My points being though, are that:
  1. the RL fans from that area are already doing that trip if they want to watch NRL football and that we are assuming that only fans from that area will be fans of the NRL club.
  2. Redcliffe aren't just going to be pulling fans from their local area.
  • Yes, Football is a different beast but Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Everton, Tottenham etc. are able to pull fans from across the U.K. and the world.
  • Although not as popular as WC Eagles, Fremantle in your own city doesn't struggle for fans in Perth.
  • Geelong doesn't struggle for fans in Melbourne
  • and Redcliffe in the NRL won't struggle for fans across Brisbane and QLD

I think London, Sydney and Melbourne might be the only cities in the world that have multiple suburban clubs in professional comps. Cities like Milan and Madrid have 2 main football clubs - AC Milan and Inter Milan, then you got Real Madrid and Athletico Madrid.

Manchester and Liverpool have football teams around their outskirts like Everton, Bolton, Wigan but these clubs were established well over 100 years ago.

I think London, Sydney and Melbourne might be the only cities in the world that have multiple suburban clubs in professional comps. Cities like Milan and Madrid have 2 main football clubs - AC Milan and Inter Milan, then you got Real Madrid and Athletico Madrid.

Manchester and Liverpool have football teams around their outskirts like Everton, Bolton, Wigan but these clubs were established well over 100 years ago.
Easts Tigers and Redcliffe Dolphins were established in the 1sr half of the 20th century. They played in the 2nd largest and most prestigious pro RL competition in the world until 1988, when it was relegated to the 3rd best. Ipswich Jets entered the world's 2nd best competition in 1986. These are old, established clubs that have produced SOO and Test greats.

I like @MugaB idea. Bring in the Dolphins first, then NZ 2 and Pirates and Jets/Firehawks in due course. Dolphins and NZ 2 can be introduced by 2028 and Pirates and Jets/Firehawks 10 or 15 years later.

Pippen94

First Grade

Japan, Argentina, Greece....

Santino Patane

Juniors

I’m pretty sure they also do direct trains from Petrie to Bowen Hills, which cuts considerable time . They do it on my train line to Beenleigh, you just have to make sure you get on the the train...

Santino Patane

Juniors
There's not much parking around Lang Park and it costs a fortune to use the facilities in the CBD.

A broad name like Brisbane has the potential to cover a wider base of supporters, but in all likelihood it won't due to where it is based and its history.

Why call it Brisbane when it's not even based in the City of Brisbane?

Moreton Bay or East Coast make it easier to identify with the club's proud history, as they fit in with the Dolphins theme. I also think the bulk of their supporters will be from the bayside area, so it makes sense to use a name that identifies their catchment.
Does not the name “Brisbane” denote the wider metropolitan area? When I think of the place called Brisbane, I think of Caboolture to Logan, and out to Ipswich. And I think the vast majority of the population agree.

My main reason for backing Moreton Bay over Brisbane is that it rolls off the tongue with Dolphins much better!