What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks veteran sends warning over coach’s contract uncertainty

Didn’t the club say they were going to wait 10 rounds or so? Why are people surprised after 4 rounds they haven’t made a call? Maybe if we rolled the eels and raiders or lost all 4 they could bring that forward...but at 2-2 going as expected...I don’t know why they’d move now.
That's just club speak for that they're waiting on Bellamy.
That's what really needs to be sorted before we move ahead.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Saints may want to offload Griffin - not only is a collapse on the cards, but the bloke has to be one of the most boring human beings on the planet

Inferno

Coach
They also just signed him.

When's the last time a coach was given just 1 year before being given the boot?

Bomber is coming off contract at an unfortunate time for him

That being said who else is currently available with recent FG experience?

Steven Kearney
Shane Flanagan
Paul Green
Anthony Seibold
Dean Pay
Paul McGregor

Someone from the UK like Steve Price?

Someone untested like Craig Fitzgibbon or Jason Ryles?

There isn't anyone from that list jumping out as an improvement on Morris for my money.

They also just signed him.

When's the last time a coach was given just 1 year before being given the boot?

Bomber is coming off contract at an unfortunate time for him

That being said who else is currently available with recent FG experience?

Steven Kearney
Shane Flanagan
Paul Green
Anthony Seibold
Dean Pay
Paul McGregor

Someone from the UK like Steve Price?

Someone untested like Craig Fitzgibbon or Jason Ryles?

There isn't anyone from that list jumping out as an improvement on Morris for my money.
There is no alternative.
Wake up.
It's Bellamy as director, then Bomber.
And that is how it will play out.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Last week Woods said he would be open to going back to Tigers.
Now this week this comment.
Where do you want to play ??
Or to me just seems about the money.
I have this feeling Woods would not bleed for the jersey

yes roboshark

toomuchsoup

Juniors
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/co...k=eaf8082116510129ddc3379624f7e5ee-1618019819

The John Morris camp shifted their public relations campaign into overdrive this week. Morris, off contract at the end of the year, has plenty of people in his corner as he attempts to convince the Cronulla Sharks that he deserves a new deal.

Weekend Read understands that one such person reached out to Manly this week to ask whether they would be interested in securing Morris’ services for next season. His management insisted it was made without their knowledge or that of Morris.

Regardless, it is understood the approach was made to a person with ties to the Sea Eagles, a way of dipping the toe in the water to see if there was any chance that Manly would entertain the prospect of hiring the Sharks coach.

At the same time, it would have heaped pressure on the Sharks to make a call on their coach. The approach came up empty-handed. Weekend Read understands Manly hierarchy gave the idea short shrift when it was bounced off them.

They are committed to coach Des Hasler as they give him all the support they can to turn the club around. Morris, meanwhile, faces a huge game in his coaching career against the Sydney Roosters on Saturday night. A win would add strength to his claims for an extension.

A loss would leave him under intense pressure with the club believed to have already made their mind up on his successor. That man is Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon, regarded across the game as the next head coach in waiting.

It is understood Sharks officials have already had an informal conversation with their Roosters counterparts about whether Fitzgibbon would be available given he has another year to run on his deal at the Roosters. They were given every indication that the Roosters would reward his years of service by allowing him to leave to take up a head coaching position.

The Sharks are in pole position to land his prized signature and no shortage of people would have you believe the decision has already been made. Fitzgibbon has a remarkable resume, having been at Trent Robinson’s side during the Roosters recent premiership wins.

He has also been an assistant for NSW, where his work with the Blues has allowed him to build strong relationships with some of the highest-profile figures in the game. He has served an apprenticeship as well as any assistant coach in the game and Roosters insiders insist he is ready to take the next step.

It may yet be at the Sharks, although no decision is likely to be made on Morris’ future for several weeks yet. The coming weeks will be crucial.

Tiger Shark

Bench
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/co...k=eaf8082116510129ddc3379624f7e5ee-1618019819

The John Morris camp shifted their public relations campaign into overdrive this week. Morris, off contract at the end of the year, has plenty of people in his corner as he attempts to convince the Cronulla Sharks that he deserves a new deal.

Weekend Read understands that one such person reached out to Manly this week to ask whether they would be interested in securing Morris’ services for next season. His management insisted it was made without their knowledge or that of Morris.

Regardless, it is understood the approach was made to a person with ties to the Sea Eagles, a way of dipping the toe in the water to see if there was any chance that Manly would entertain the prospect of hiring the Sharks coach.

At the same time, it would have heaped pressure on the Sharks to make a call on their coach. The approach came up empty-handed. Weekend Read understands Manly hierarchy gave the idea short shrift when it was bounced off them.

They are committed to coach Des Hasler as they give him all the support they can to turn the club around. Morris, meanwhile, faces a huge game in his coaching career against the Sydney Roosters on Saturday night. A win would add strength to his claims for an extension.

A loss would leave him under intense pressure with the club believed to have already made their mind up on his successor. That man is Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon, regarded across the game as the next head coach in waiting.

It is understood Sharks officials have already had an informal conversation with their Roosters counterparts about whether Fitzgibbon would be available given he has another year to run on his deal at the Roosters. They were given every indication that the Roosters would reward his years of service by allowing him to leave to take up a head coaching position.

The Sharks are in pole position to land his prized signature and no shortage of people would have you believe the decision has already been made. Fitzgibbon has a remarkable resume, having been at Trent Robinson’s side during the Roosters recent premiership wins.

He has also been an assistant for NSW, where his work with the Blues has allowed him to build strong relationships with some of the highest-profile figures in the game. He has served an apprenticeship as well as any assistant coach in the game and Roosters insiders insist he is ready to take the next step.

It may yet be at the Sharks, although no decision is likely to be made on Morris’ future for several weeks yet. The coming weeks will be crucial.

I know Fitzgibbon has wraps but he’s a untested rookie coach. He’s not necessarily an upgrade and personally I don’t see him being any more of a draw card than Bomber.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Brent Read article I assume?
What a crock of an article - like most crap he reports on.
Fitzgibbon is a even switch for Morris and can’t see the move happening - the club would be mad

Tiger Shark

Bench
I will say that the Knights, Dragons and Warriors all offered him a coaching gig and he turned them down.

They must all have seen something in him.

Card Shark

Immortal
Another media beat up.

Morris will be coaching us next year & beyond.

Woods would have best shut his mouth, if he said anything at all...it was probably misconstrued.

I pay zero attention to the media.

Stake Removed

First Grade
I will say that the Knights, Dragons and Warriors all offered him a coaching gig and he turned them down.

Look at those clubs there might be reasons didn't want job.
At Sharks he stays in the area.
We have truck loads of money for players.
He coaches the team his dad did a few years ago

Frenzy.

Immortal

They see Trent Robinson and the Roosters systems in him I'd say.

Kind of like how people line up to get Bellamy assistants because of what Bellamy and Storm do.

But how Bellamy assistants have succeeded? Maguire won a comp. Kearney could barely win a game. O'Brien on a hiding to nothing at the Knights at the moment. Kevin Walters, pphhhtt. Brad Arthur, Seibold?

There are moderate success stories there but not many who have gone on to great heights.

That's the dangerous part of bringing on a protege of a great coach. Doesn't always translate and the hardest systems to adopt are the Storm and the Roosters.

None of that is to say Fitzy would or would not succeed but he's just as great a "risk" as Morris.

I reckon he'd want a shitload more money as well.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Brent Read is pretty much the bottom of the barrel of all the full of shit “journalists” out there. His bias for the Goons is embarrassingly obvious and his hatred for the Sharks is equally blatant. As usual he uses the term “I understand”and “it is understood” numerous times which is really code for “I’m making this shit up as I go”. How the little gimp actually makes a living from media work is beyond me..... G’day Ready.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Brent Read is pretty much the bottom of the barrel of all the full of shit “journalists” out there. His bias for the Goons is embarrassingly obvious and his hatred for the Sharks is equally blatant. As usual he uses the term “I understand”and “it is understood” numerous times which is really code for “I’m making this shit up as I go”. How the little gimp actually makes a living from media work is beyond me..... G’day Ready.

My brother is a journalist and he reckons that Brent Read is extremely disliked among other journos in the NRL. Makes sense why, he’s a dead set leech