What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021

Tiger05

First Grade
Our leaky edges and lack of game management are always going to keep poor opposition in the game unfortunately. Need to fix these before I feel we are guaranteed the win against anyone.

We have so much to work on throughout the year. I reckon we are miles off the pace right now. I also think we can improve a lot but that left edge leaking points is to me our big issue right now.

I'm less worried about game management compared to stupid mistakes or penalties being given away.

magpie_man

Juniors
Well after 3 and a half rounds I think we know where most teams sit (barring injuries). Did a bit of a break down of our draw and it seems to be in four sections:

Good summation mate.
Admittedly it's a long season, but I reckon you can break the competition into 3 main groups at this stage:

Contenders
Penrith
Parramatta
South Sydney
Easts
Melbourne
Canberra

Pretenders
Newcastle
Gold Coast
Dragons
Auckland
Cronulla
Tigers

Cannon Fodder
Brisbane
Canterbury
Manly
Cowboys

We essentially need to bash the Cannon Fodder, win a minimum of 2/3rds of our fixtures against the other Pretender teams and try to snag 1 or 2 wins against the Contenders.
So far things are going according to plan.
Someone made a good point that injuries shouldn't affect us as much as some of the other teams because we don't really have any game-breakers that we are reliant upon in the team list, apart from maybe Laurie.
Our new combinations will only improve as the season progresses, Origin will be our friend and we are already seeing the injury imp start to derail a few seasons - plenty to be optimistic about.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Good summation mate.
Admittedly it's a long season, but I reckon you can break the competition into 3 main groups at this stage:

Contenders
Penrith
Parramatta
South Sydney
Easts
Melbourne
Canberra

Pretenders
Newcastle
Gold Coast
Dragons
Auckland
Cronulla
Tigers

Cannon Fodder
Brisbane
Canterbury
Manly
Cowboys

We essentially need to bash the Cannon Fodder, win a minimum of 2/3rds of our fixtures against the other Pretender teams and try to snag 1 or 2 wins against the Contenders.
Someone made a good point that injuries shouldn't affect us as much as some of the other teams because we don't really have any game-breakers that we are reliant upon in the team list, apart from maybe Laurie.
Our new combinations will only improve as the season progresses, Origin will be our friend and we are already seeing the injury imp start to derail a few seasons - plenty to be optimistic about.

Was literally about to post the exact same thing. The way I see it, Sharks will win the Pretender competition and snag 7th spot. It's then a crap shoot between the other pretenders for that final 8th spot.

If we can finally click into gear and build some good combinations then on our day we can beat any of those remaining 4 pretenders. As you mentioned, it is absolutely crucial we demolish the cannon fodder - starting this weekend with Cowboys

stryker

First Grade
Contenders list is very strong. All have been playing top tier for years. They should all be set, however the Roosters injury toll may open the door a smidge.
The pretenders list is where the true interest lays. Newcastle and the Tigers are the weak link currently. That said, all of these sides are inconsistent. With it likely only two of these sides will make the 8, it will be tough going. Having to win at over 65% with this group will take a lot out of all these sides.

Injuries and depth will decide the 8 this year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Contenders list is very strong. All have been playing top tier for years. They should all be set, however the Roosters injury toll may open the door a smidge.
The pretenders list is where the true interest lays. Newcastle and the Tigers are the weak link currently. That said, all of these sides are inconsistent. With it likely only two of these sides will make the 8, it will be tough going. Having to win at over 65% with this group will take a lot out of all these sides.

Injuries and depth will decide the 8 this year.

Whilst I agree you also have to look at who’s played who.

We’ve played 3 Contenders and 1 Pretender which is by far the hardest draw of any Pretender

Dragons have played 3 Cannon Fodders and No Contenders, by far the easiest draw

Knights are the worst placed of the 6 Pretenders as they’ve played 1 cannon fodder, 3 pretenders and lost 2 of them

IF we beat the Cowboys and even rack up a score I’d say we’re the best placed of the Pretenders

Tigerm

First Grade

We’ve played 3 Contenders and 1 Pretender which is by far the hardest draw of any Pretender

Knights are the worst placed of the 6 Pretenders as they’ve played 1 cannon fodder, 3 pretenders and lost 2 of them

IF we beat the Cowboys and even rack up a score I’d say we’re the best placed of the Pretenders
Agree, I think:D:D:D

WA Tiger

Bench

Lets beat the cowboys first before we consider ourselves good enough to be pretenders and not cannon fodder...I couldn’t think of anyone that was a go to person when we neaded them last week ..I wasn’t expecting any points from 5th tackle options, our defence looks like it has just been disregarded at training we seem to respond only when things looked beyond hope ..Our mental frailty and team cohesion is a worry ...With prob the most capable lineup yet we should “kick butt”but we are so far from solid and cohesive nothing will surprise me for this game..

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Knights in big trouble? 26 - 12. Staring down 3 straight loses.
Knights are heading towards the bottom of the pretenders list with us.
Titans are playing good footy and they will supply stiff opposition for places 7 & 8.

Tigerm

First Grade
Good summation mate.

Contenders
Penrith
Parramatta
South Sydney
Easts
Melbourne
Canberra

Pretenders
Newcastle
Gold Coast
Dragons
Auckland
Cronulla
Tigers

Cannon Fodder
Brisbane
Canterbury
Manly
Cowboys

Still early days in the comp, but looking like Knights and Warriors are struggling to stay in the pretenders group at this stage, of course we are not out of the woods yet either.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Still early days in the comp, but looking like Knights and Warriors are struggling to stay in the pretenders group at this stage, of course we are not out of the woods yet either.

Knights look absolutely shot. They haven’t even played a Contender yet and are 2-3

Sharks really blew a chance against the Roosters last night. Now with their seemingly very popular coach getting the boot their entire season could be derailed

WA Tiger

Bench
Knights look absolutely shot. They haven’t even played a Contender yet and are 2-3

Sharks really blew a chance against the Roosters last night. Now with their seemingly very popular coach getting the boot their entire season could be derailed
Maybe ...Morris will enjoy the chance to prove himself if he’s able to stick around for most if not all of this season...Cronulla of course wouldn’t like to look silly and have him hang around and impress

Tigerm

First Grade
Maybe ...Morris will enjoy the chance to prove himself if he’s able to stick around for most if not all of this season...Cronulla of course wouldn’t like to look silly and have him hang around and impress
You could do worse than have him back here, working with our backs, mainly our halves?

WA Tiger

Bench
You could do worse than have him back here, working with our backs, mainly our halves?
Was he at WT before ok...I wouldn’t be surprised if Morris impresses from here on (hopefully they let him coach out his contract until years end) he has the teams complete attention and respect so depending on how well he does and how badly Madge does The plot may thicken …he’s only on $350 k the lowest paid NRL coach

Last edited:

Latest posts