What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd5: Eels v Dragons GAME DAY THREAD @ BankWest Stadium 11/4/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Cartwright, Lane and Fergo were horrible. Gutho ran for 200m but I thought his decision making was very poor. Opacic is just a bit too small / weak. Gets dominated every tackle.

Papali'i our best by far.
I thought Lane was busy, but he was asked to compete or felt compelled to contribute way beyond his skill set. He's not a centre and needs to stick to bending the line and popping a pass.

DaSuperHero2

"Moderator"
Lots of wrist slitting here , i think its unneeded and just being eel-headed.

Attitude wasnt strong last night , front rowers took a few steps back after the initial contact , game was lost in first 15.

RCG and Paulo have it in them but when they got dominated no one else decided to stand up.

Just a blip for you guys and arthur knows it.

Cloeel

Juniors
It was an off game.I would not look too much into it.

Would not surprise me if BA saw this coming and is not to worried about it.

I reckon our next game will provide more clarity to where we are at; especially coming off a loss.

Onto next week!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Lots of wrist slitting here , i think its unneeded and just being eel-headed.

Attitude wasnt strong last night , front rowers took a few steps back after the initial contact , game was lost in first 15.

RCG and Paulo have it in them but when they got dominated no one else decided to stand up.

Just a blip for you guys and arthur knows it.
Nah mate. We are f**ked. BA couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

IFR33K

Coach
I haven’t read the 16 pages of this thread (mainly becuase the site was slow and clunky last night) nor have I watched the replay) and here is what I thought from my possie at Bankwest.
  • Dragons matched us in the arm wrestling and because we coukd not bend the line as usual, that frustrated us.
  • They were flopping on every tackle to slow down our ruck play and clearly gave no f**ks about conceding 6 agains.
  • In attack, the Lane / Marata edge desperately needed a real centre with footwork and pace. Oldfield gets that gig immediately for mine.
  • Ray Stone is ineffective, Hipgrave every day of the week over him.
  • Cartwright is a huge human and looked dangerous every time he got involved in the play. Yes, he needs to have a calmer head and be more selective with his passes and kicks.
  • I had perfect sight of the Brown break / pass to Gutho and to say that Jnr impeded a defender was a joke.
  • I had even a better view of the penalty try and there is no way that you could say that the fullback 100% would have scored. That said Brown did grab his jumper so he should have got 10 after it declared a no try.
  • Finally the whole 6 again rule needs to be reviewed. In past years the disadvantage to the team who continued to slow down the ruck with f**kery and the flip-side advantage to the team burdened with the f**kery was huge. Yesterday STG could give away 6 on the first second and third in the middle of the field and manage to stifle momentum. The ref knew what was going on hence the sin bin of Sims, but they just continued to do it.

Not sure what you mean by Cartwright looking dangerous. He had a Terrible game

84 Baby

Referee
Grant Atkins needs to go to the Hollywood Bill/Shayne Hayne school of penalising the shit out of teams. That game was screaming out for Drags to get 3 or 4 players binned.

And the Fergo drop, that was knocked out by Ramsey and went backwards from Fergo right? So surely at least play on at least

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Papalii's been excellent, so why the change from pretty much bog average at the warriors.

Could it be that the bald one has coached him to keep his game simple, run hard, run straight, nothing flash.

Nah, that'd be the result of good coaching, so beyond the realms of possibility.
Working with forwards are Arthur’s strength, he gets them to buy in and run hard and play tough. Which makes it weird why he brought an absolute softcock like Bwyce. He really needed to go out and get a decent attack coach, our attack on the while is rubbish with block plays and playing well before the line. Good teams eat that up.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Not sure what you mean by Cartwright looking dangerous. He had a Terrible game

I am not disagreeing that he forced a pass when it wasn't on and kicked once that went dead (?), but yeah he looked dangerous with the ball. He has good footwork before the line, is hard to tackle and always looks to get his arms free. He played on both the middle and on the edge and offers a point of difference to the normal hit it up and tackle hard vanilla forward. I reckon he is a great project player considering he'd be on pie n coke salary.

hindy111

Post Whore
Amazingly I agreed with you, Burton is class with a cool head on his shoulders. Moses is all talent with no brains and no composure.

D.Brown isn't anywhere near Burtons class but young and may develop. But I see very little from him as far as improvement goes. He is no better then when he debut. Sometimes halves just click. But remember this kid is on 650k.

hindy111

Post Whore
I am not disagreeing that he forced a pass when it wasn't on and kicked once that went dead (?), but yeah he looked dangerous with the ball. He has good footwork before the line, is hard to tackle and always looks to get his arms free. He played on both the middle and on the edge and offers a point of difference to the normal hit it up and tackle hard vanilla forward. I reckon he is a great project player considering he'd be on pie n coke salary.

Bryce is in min salary. He was worth the risk. Why judge him based on one game where our whole side was belted

hindy111

Post Whore
I haven’t read the 16 pages of this thread (mainly becuase the site was slow and clunky last night) nor have I watched the replay) and here is what I thought from my possie at Bankwest.
  • Dragons matched us in the arm wrestling and because we coukd not bend the line as usual, that frustrated us.
  • They were flopping on every tackle to slow down our ruck play and clearly gave no f**ks about conceding 6 agains.
  • In attack, the Lane / Marata edge desperately needed a real centre with footwork and pace. Oldfield gets that gig immediately for mine.
  • Ray Stone is ineffective, Hipgrave every day of the week over him.
  • Cartwright is a huge human and looked dangerous every time he got involved in the play. Yes, he needs to have a calmer head and be more selective with his passes and kicks.
  • I had perfect sight of the Brown break / pass to Gutho and to say that Jnr impeded a defender was a joke.
  • I had even a better view of the penalty try and there is no way that you could say that the fullback 100% would have scored. That said Brown did grab his jumper so he should have got 10 after it declared a no try.
  • Finally the whole 6 again rule needs to be reviewed. In past years the disadvantage to the team who continued to slow down the ruck with f**kery and the flip-side advantage to the team burdened with the f**kery was huge. Yesterday STG could give away 6 on the first second and third in the middle of the field and manage to stifle momentum. The ref knew what was going on hence the sin bin of Sims, but they just continued to do it.

Keep in mind they also had there best player out. Yes we missed Matterson but Hunt is a far bigger weapon.
The problem we have is we always play impatient. That's Moses. He will never change. You just want to hope we make the 8 and he is able to put 3 great games together. He is unable to do it week in week out like N.Cleary.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Around 24k at the ground, not too shabby

The entertainment was on par with what the Eels dished up

Eyeballing people in the crowd to see who is singing "Your the voice" like a drunken skunk says all, cringe

Raiders next week, then Drongos and Dogs

Theres 4 pts there minimum, gets us to 12 pts
6-2 after 8 rounds, not too shabby

Matto should be back. Keen to see if Oldfield gets a run in the backline

hindy111

Post Whore
@TheRam What are your thoughts on J.Morris for coach. Atleast in attack?
I reckon it would be an astute move if he become available.

Then you fly the CEO the where ever Duke Gould is and offer him a 5yrs contract for 10 million to set up our junior system.

Gronk

Staff member
Keep in mind they also had there best player out. Yes we missed Matterson but Hunt is a far bigger weapon.
The problem we have is we always play impatient. That's Moses. He will never change. You just want to hope we make the 8 and he is able to put 3 great games together. He is unable to do it week in week out like N.Cleary.
D.Brown isn't anywhere near Burtons class but young and may develop. But I see very little from him as far as improvement goes. He is no better then when he debut. Sometimes halves just click. But remember this kid is on 650k.

Dude try and post without talking about Penrith every time.

hindy111

Post Whore
Let us just see if we evolve as a side this season.
I've said this in past. We do not get any better as the season goes on. Remember when Anderson in 2009. We had nothing so he re wrote the rules and game plan and we almost jagged a title.
The cellar dwellers will slowly improve as the year unfolds. I am very interested to see what happens with us.
If we can develop a grinding tough approach we can be a top 4 side with our pack. But we lack aggression and game plan.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
@TheRam What are your thoughts on J.Morris for coach. Atleast in attack?
I reckon it would be an astute move if he become available.

Then you fly the CEO the where ever Duke Gould is and offer him a 5yrs contract for 10 million to set up our junior system.
He would be an excellent addition to our team, so he’s no chance. Arthur only hires blokes who are no threat to his job whatsoever. Bums like Murphy and Kidwell. It’s his biggest fault as a coach.

IFR33K

Coach
Bryce is in min salary. He was worth the risk. Why judge him based on one game where our whole side was belted

That performance Bryce dished up is what he’s dished up his entire career. He’s not going to magically wake up tomorrow and be a consistent performer. He’s erratic at best. Waste of a bench spot and a position in the squad. Regardless of the amount he’s on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts