What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs South Sydney @ Stadium Australia

Who will win? Round 6: South Sydney v Wests Tigers

• South Sydney Rabbitohs 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m thinking we will compete.

When everything is hopeless, when we’ve embarrassed ourselves shitless and the season is truly f**ked and over, when there’s nothing to play for......we usually turn up and put in.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I honestly hope Madge switches the reserve grade team with team last week. Literally the entire team.

Would be a fun experiment and remind all the complacent shit bags that it's a privilege to play first grade

I honestly hope Madge switches the reserve grade team with team last week. Literally the entire team.

Would be a fun experiment and remind all the complacent shit bags that it's a privilege to play first grade

Our ignorant and ugly lot would think it’s a reward.

It’s a pity Laurie and some of our younger recruits are being contaminated so early in their careers.

Just show something. Some fight. Some desire. We probably won’t win. But there’s a way to lose a game that’s acceptable in my opinion. Leaking 28 points in the first half against a spoon contender minus their star player is not acceptable.

that said someone should warm up the 50 point thread now.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Just going to put this up here for discussion

My priority in naming this side is to ensure two things
- players under contract long term get a gig in the top 17
- we are not paying players under long term contract to play reserve grade or run out for other teams

1. David Nofoaluma
2. Tommy Talau
3. Adam Doueihi
4. Moses Mbye
5. AJ Kepaoa
6. Daine Laurie
7. Luke Brooks
8. Zane Musgrove
9. Jake Simpkin
10. James Tamou
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Joe Ofahengaue
Interchange:
14. Jacob Liddle
15. Thomas Mikaele
16. Stefano Utoikamanu
17. Tukimihia Simpkins

18. Tom Amone 19. Joseph Leilua 20. James Roberts 21. Jock Madden

BJ Leilua and James Roberts will not get extensions. Show them the door now.
Nofoaluma is a tackle breaker. We have nowhere near enough of these players running close to the ruck at pace. He had half a game there in the final match last season and was really good I thought.
Laurie has a big future ahead of him (whether at 1 or at 6) but right now I think he might get a bit more space at 6 instead of getting smashed on kick returns like he is now. Noffa on kick returns at pace would get our sets off on the right foot.
Doueihi has good hands and a towering bomb but I can't say he's convinced me as a 5/8. He seems to be able to break a tackle and has shown he can jump for a high ball so moving him one out might be worth trying out.
Wingers are obviously a query but someone like AJ is under contract for another 2 years. Someone should have acknowledged his poor decision making / ball handling before offering up a 3 year contract?

My last point is that we tell these players "You have a long term contract. You will play for the rest of the season unless there is a glaring drop in form / injuries."

In all matches this year there has been an overwhelming sense that the players are anxious or reluctant to try anything especially in possession. I think they fear getting the axe if they make an error? There is an odd feeling every time we get the ball. When we played Newcastle we never looked comfortable even when in front.

I can't help but feel if Madge made some personnel changes to accomodate contract lengths and backed the contracted group in we'd maybe see a turnaround?

Just going to put this up here for discussion

My priority in naming this side is to ensure two things
- players under contract long term get a gig in the top 17
- we are not paying players under long term contract to play reserve grade or run out for other teams

1. David Nofoaluma
2. Tommy Talau
3. Adam Doueihi
4. Moses Mbye
5. AJ Kepaoa
6. Daine Laurie
7. Luke Brooks
8. Zane Musgrove
9. Jake Simpkin
10. James Tamou
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Joe Ofahengaue
Interchange:
14. Jacob Liddle
15. Thomas Mikaele
16. Stefano Utoikamanu
17. Tukimihia Simpkins

18. Tom Amone 19. Joseph Leilua 20. James Roberts 21. Jock Madden

BJ Leilua and James Roberts will not get extensions. Show them the door now.
Nofoaluma is a tackle breaker. We have nowhere near enough of these players running close to the ruck at pace. He had half a game there in the final match last season and was really good I thought.
Laurie has a big future ahead of him (whether at 1 or at 6) but right now I think he might get a bit more space at 6 instead of getting smashed on kick returns like he is now. Noffa on kick returns at pace would get our sets off on the right foot.
Doueihi has good hands and a towering bomb but I can't say he's convinced me as a 5/8. He seems to be able to break a tackle and has shown he can jump for a high ball so moving him one out might be worth trying out.
Wingers are obviously a query but someone like AJ is under contract for another 2 years. Someone should have acknowledged his poor decision making / ball handling before offering up a 3 year contract?

My last point is that we tell these players "You have a long term contract. You will play for the rest of the season unless there is a glaring drop in form / injuries."

In all matches this year there has been an overwhelming sense that the players are anxious or reluctant to try anything especially in possession. I think they fear getting the axe if they make an error? There is an odd feeling every time we get the ball. When we played Newcastle we never looked comfortable even when in front.

I can't help but feel if Madge made some personnel changes to accomodate contract lengths and backed the contracted group in we'd maybe see a turnaround?

A fascinating thesis and one worth considering given the depths of despair we find ourselves in.

I think the big issue is motivation and I can’t say exactly what Madge is doing but it’s not working.

This inability to break through to the group ( even long contracted players) is not working and the club was predictably looking for scapegoats after the most recent horror.

If he’s using certain methods consistently, he needs to re evaluate these ( I am sure he is) but otherwise we need a fresh pair of eyes and ears in to offer him impartial and pointed advice.

What is this void that all of his instructions disappear into and why this stage fright you insightfully identify?

I think it goes without saying we need some marquee but there’s no point getting good players in and then de-commissioning or spoiling them. That’s what happened to sgi under Mary.

I’m expecting a bounce back v Souths, but I need a sustained attempt before the clouds clear. Madge talked about growth, but it’s barely noticeable, if at all.

Thanks for your post.

I’m not anti-Madge but as soon as the club said they backed him 300% today, that was knucklehead stuff.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
A fascinating thesis and one worth considering given the depths of despair we find ourselves in.

I think the big issue is motivation and I can’t say exactly what Madge is doing but it’s not working.

This inability to break through to the group ( even long contracted players) is not working and the club was predictably looking for scapegoats after the most recent horror.

If he’s using certain methods consistently, he needs to re evaluate these ( I am sure he is) but otherwise we need a fresh pair of eyes and ears in to offer him impartial and pointed advice.

What is this void that all of his instructions disappear into and why this stage fright you insightfully identify?

I think it goes without saying we need some marquee but there’s no point getting good players in and then de-commissioning or spoiling them. That’s what happened to sgi under Mary.

I’m expecting a bounce back v Souths, but I need a sustained attempt before the clouds clear. Madge talked about growth, but it’s barely noticeable, if at all.

Thanks for your post.

I’m not anti-Madge but as soon as the club said they backed him 300% today, that was knucklehead stuff.

The 'getting good players' point is an interesting one.

BJ Leilua, James Roberts and Joffa and Madge's 3 name signings. None of them would have got a gig elsewhere before joining WT. Joffa even admitted in interviews that when Brisbane punted him he had to take the Tigers offer because he had nowhere else to go. Why offer someone with no other options a 3 year contract?

Ivan Cleary joined the club with George Mimis negotiating as his manager. We then went on to sign Packer and Reynolds (both Mimis clients) joining a short time later.

Conversely, Madge has a no-name agent Daniel Zammit. He can't pull any strings in the player market for this reason.

I have no idea what to expect this week but if Madge names my side and told the players "im backing you in" they will play with more confidence. Surely that's a start?

Pezz70

Juniors
Madge has a former reputation of turning out super fit teams. Tigers do not look fit, nor do they look to be keen to play.

Tiger05

First Grade
It's not that bad a bunch of ideas.

I wouldn't change our spine. It's all completely new and we are 5 games into the season. Laurie catches bombs. AD can do a lot. He might also do it at centre but him and Luc are the two guys creating stuff for us. Laurie is pretty good as well.

I'd add Simpkin to the bench. Liddle hasn't been bad but he hasn't been great.

I don't trust Nofo at fullback. Did you watch his game last week. He isn't as safe as Laurie under the high ball and I don't think he is as likely to make a bust up the middle.

I like Joe O at lock. I reckon he is a better option there than Twal. Twal has to be in the team though. He isn't a tackle buster but he is a hard worker.

Garner has been pretty good but we really need Sean Blore to come in and turn into a gun. It's a big ask though.

I love the bench you picked but it seems we have too many big or worker like middle forwards. Do we need someone like Garner or MCK on the bench who can come into lock and add some pace.

simmo1

First Grade
This could get ugly. Latrell has always carved us up without even trying, and now this year looks to have gone up a level. Souths were pretty bad last week against Brisbane, so I'd expect them to be pretty fired up this week. If Walker was playing they'd pass 60, and still might anyway.

I don’t think anyone will be too upset if we lose but have a go.

The team is a bit freaky and skittish in that we beat the knights unexpectedly on National Mitch Day with 20,000 alien merkins baying for our blood.

And despite the obvious hardship of almost losing the game with 5 minutes to go, we came home strongly, won the game and almost put another 12 on them.

So there’s something there, but we need to find it.

I think we are due for another heart starter go. I hope so. At least keep them to +18 or under would be a pass mark for mine.

So old mate Tiger buddy “ Ralph” ( not his real name) we got in contact today and his thesis is that Madge is ok. The fault is with the players.

He wanted Brooks gone after his milestone disaster.

But he said today:

“ nofo is show ponying”

“They are not having a go”

“ Tamou sucks”

“ f**king Roberts didn’t get any ball”

And then gave me a warning not to talk anybody up.

“ Dont you start with your bullshit today...”

Then he used SGI as the team to aspire to be like. I’ve been saying this anyway , but you know with an angry tiger buddy, a contribution like this might make you seem arrogant. So I had to remain quiet.

Took him almost 48 hours to be able to give voice to his concerns. Mmm. By his standards, it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
They will have a dig after all the stuff that has been flying around, but sadly it’s like putting your Rodeo up against a V8 at Bathurst...your not going to win unless they run off the road.

Our forwards have the potential to mix it with every pack, our backline would not mix it in the reserve grade comp. If we play out of our skin we will hold them to about 35, if we turn it up again like last week...70 is on the cards. Hopefully with all the negative press re blowouts the ref is given instructions to keep it competitive and we get 30 six agains to there 1

One hour to the team is announced, you would think Madge will make some changes but who knows