What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Peter V'landys vows to bring back all three grades on footy game day.

Perth Red

Post Whore
PVL has already put a timeframe on it, you can disbelieve but last time he put a timeframe on something he backed it up. The only meaningful attempt to expand since the Titans.

tbf he has said only if the numbers stack up, which we’ve heard since 2011. Maybe it will be different this time, we’ll know by July.

fourplay

Juniors
There is no point bringing back all 3 grades on the same day if they are going to have a 45 minute gap between each game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I would love to know who invented and approved this stupid situation
A few factors off the top of my head:
  • Turn around times with sheds/tunnel etc, depending on venue + changeroom capacity
  • NRL teams warming up on the field becoming ubiquitous
  • Gives groundstaff time to inspect the ground and make any fixes to turf etc
Whether any of them are realistic anymore is another matter but those are the things I can think of that would preceed such decisions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
  • Turn around times with sheds/tunnel etc, depending on venue + changeroom capacity
Whether any of them are realistic anymore is another matter but those are the things I can think of that would preceed such decisions.

You'd think at some of these grounds they wouldn't have 4 or 6 changing rooms so would need to clear out before the next team comes in maybe?

siv

First Grade

Other than goalkickers having a few shots at goal, none if those are a requirement

I think it was invented by the broadcasters in 2008 so they can chat after the NYC game

Using player warm ups as a excuse

Reactions: Vee

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You'd think at some of these grounds they wouldn't have 4 or 6 changing rooms so would need to clear out before the next team comes in maybe?
Yes, but not all grounds, which is probably the issue. So they just standardise it.
Other than goalkickers having a few shots at goal, none if those are a requirement

I think it was invented by the broadcasters in 2008 so they can chat after the NYC game

Using player warm ups as a excuse
If you say so, but that's how it is. Just telling you why, you don't have to agree with it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
This guy's got the right idea-
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeme...important-part-of-its-future/?sh=7377cef54ec4

That's how you make the NSW Cup a self-sustaining product in it's own right with it's own fan-base, not by turning it into an opener for the NRL played in front of a couple hundred people.

Only thing's I'd change is I'd move the focus away from Sydney and the other markets that already have NRL teams, and more onto NSW as a whole. Why not e.g. Wagga, Coffs, Dubbo, etc, instead of e.g. Penrith, Redfern, and Canberra?

Also we'd have to find a way to broadcast the whole competition and get it under people's noises, that way it'd be simple and convenient to follow a team's whole season and the teams could start building strong fan-bases.

Why not try to convince Nine and/or Fox to bring back Monday Night Footy, make it the second tier night with the game of the round (NSW cup live in NSW/ACT, Qld Cup live in Qld, the other played afterward on delay), and stream the rest on Kayo or Stan. I'd bet that they'd draw similar numbers to the A-league or Super Rugby, maybe even out rate them given time.

Last edited:
Why not try to convince Nine and/or Fox to bring back Monday Night Footy, make it the second tier night with the game of the round (NSW cup live in NSW/ACT, Qld Cup live in Qld, the other played afterward on delay), and stream the rest on Kayo or Stan. I'd bet that they'd draw similar numbers to the A-league or Super Rugby, maybe even out rate them given time.

Unless the production costs were paid for by someone else I would not expect Channel 9 to do it. They have shown repeatedly over the last 12-18 months they are loathe to spend money.

franklin2323

Immortal
Unless the production costs were paid for by someone else I would not expect Channel 9 to do it. They have shown repeatedly over the last 12-18 months they are loathe to spend money.

Yep. Cost is a huge issue with these proposals

There is a Thurs night stand alone game coming in July. That is a good test case for potentially this.

Vee

First Grade
Nein invest in the game? Puhlease...

And afterwards, we could flap our arms and fly to the moon.

typicalfan

Coach
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeme...important-part-of-its-future/?sh=7377cef54ec4

That's how you make the NSW Cup a self-sustaining product in it's own right with it's own fan-base, not by turning it into an opener for the NRL played in front of a couple hundred people.

Only thing's I'd change is I'd move the focus away from Sydney and the other markets that already have NRL teams, and more onto NSW as a whole. Why not e.g. Wagga, Coffs, Dubbo, etc, instead of e.g. Penrith, Redfern, and Canberra?

Also we'd have to find a way to broadcast the whole competition and get it under people's noises, that way it'd be simple and convenient to follow a team's whole season and the teams could start building strong fan-bases.

Hey Channel 9, please show our reserve grade players in primetime on a Monday night. All you guys have to do is drive out to Dubbo or Lismore. We think it will be bigger than Mariners vs Roar even, how exciting!!! Move over mafs.

Reactions: Vee

siv

First Grade

No issue with the concept

But you need to establish NRL Reserve Grade first

Then NSW Cup can grow into its own part-time competition

WSS showed what a sumny 3 grade game day should be

franklin2323

Immortal
No issue with the concept

But you need to establish NRL Reserve Grade first

Then NSW Cup can grow into its own part-time competition

WSS showed what a sumny 3 grade game day should be

You will not get weeknight games in a part time comp. the odd game yes but work/study commitments will come 1st

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep. Cost is a huge issue with these proposals

There is a Thurs night stand alone game coming in July. That is a good test case for potentially this.
Nein invest in the game? Puhlease...

And afterwards, we could flap our arms and fly to the moon.
Hey Channel 9, please show our reserve grade players in primetime on a Monday night. All you guys have to do is drive out to Dubbo or Lismore. We think it will be bigger than Mariners vs Roar even, how exciting!!! Move over mafs.
They are giving Super Rugby $100mil over three years for one FTA game on Saturday night and the rest on Stan. Assuming we put the work in and set the competition up right I see no reason why we shouldn't back ourselves to get a similar deal and eventually out rate them.

I admit that doing it right may mean producing some of the content ourselves, but it wouldn't have to be of a same standard as the NRL broadcast, and it'd be a good first step into the NRL producing more of it's own content in the future.

Also there's no reason why it would have to be on the main channel. Chuck it on Gem, it'd almost certainly out rate their normal scheduling on Gem if it was promoted properly, and if it's successful you could build up to being on the main channel.

siv

First Grade
You will not get weeknight games in a part time comp. the odd game yes but work/study commitments will come 1st

The trick is to find its timeslot

Fri 6pm should be NSW Cup

Sat 11am NZ Cup
Sat 1pm Qld Cup
Sat 3:15pm NRL RG

Sun 10am NYC
Sun 12pm NRL RG

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally in a cash rich nrl you’d have

NRL Premiership- fox and fta
NRLW- fox
Reserve grade

NRL Championship (national 2nd tier comp for cities and clubs who can’t get in NRL) - saturday fta and Sunday streaming

MugaB

Coach
Ideally in a cash rich nrl you’d have

NRL Premiership- fox and fta
NRLW- fox
Reserve grade

NRL Championship (national 2nd tier comp for cities and clubs who can’t get in NRL) - saturday fta and Sunday streaming
Yes this, you'd want it 2 hours before the other televised games, no matter if it was fox or nine, even if you get a rival channel like channel 7, 10, or ABC to take it on, it would be great to have a reserve game if the round, im sure it woud get the other channels thinking of ways to promote it. I remember amco cup was during the week, that could be a way to highlight the reserve grade, just gotta pick one, scheduled away from the rest of the weekends matches

Latest posts