What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

axl rose

Bench
It really would be great to understand from players who have knocked us back why they didn't want to sign with us.

I looks at Bulldogs in the way they are signing players left right and centre yet they have been absolutely shit house the last 5 years.

It really must come down to the organisation as a whole. Young guns love playing for us for a while then it seems they graduate to a more professional team.

Or maybe we just lack that one or two players that other players want to play with. If only Tedesco did us a solid and came back to help us get the finals monkey off our back
2 of them have a relationship with Barrett from his time at the riff. Cotric is grossly overpaid. Flanno is a dud and so is Barrett.

Tigerm

First Grade
This was posted from the other site, apparently from the Tele?

Balmain Tigers legend Ben Elias and a wealthy consortium have held secret meetings to discuss buying a 50.5 per cent share in the embattled Wests Tigers for up to $10 million.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Elias has completed due diligence about the ownership proposal with a high-flying Sydney businessmen, who want to remain anonymous until talks accelerate.

It is understood Elias has arranged to discuss his plan with Wests Tigers powerbrokers early next week where it would be determined whether the club would consider some form of private ownership.

Should there be interest from Wests Tigers, it is understood an offer could be lodged quickly, pending NRL approval.

When approached on Thursday morning about the stunning bid, a coy Elias only said: “I can confirm it. It’s a work in progress but obviously it’s very early days. But I won’t comment any further.”

Well-placed sources suggest a 50.5 per cent share in Wests Tigers could cost at least $8 million to $10 million.

The Elias-led consortium have no plans to change the club’s name, colours, emblem or shift Wests Tigers from its Leichhardt and Campbelltown heartlands.

The businessmen just want to try to make an offer to drag Wests Tigers from their current rut.

Under the club’s current ownership structure, Wests Magpies own 90 per cent with Balmain Tigers controlling the final 10 per cent.

Wests Tigers are debt-free and backed by the highly successful Wests Leagues Club at Ashfield.

Interest in acquiring more than half the club came after Elias and his consortium discussed the club’s flagging on-field results, which includes missing the finals for the past decade.

Convincing the club’s eight-member board to consider private ownership could be challenging but consortium members are known to be exceptionally wealthy.

Brisbane, Melbourne, South Sydney, Gold Coast, New Zealand and Manly are all governed under private ownership.

Two years ago, Manly’s primary owners, the Penn family, rejected lucrative offers for the entire club valued at $18 million.

The Rabbitohs in particular have flourished under the private ownership of Russell Crowe, James Packer and, previously, Peter Holmes a Court.

Wests Tigers sit equal last on the NRL competition table with one win from seven games. The Tigers play St George Illawarra this Sunday in Wollongong.

Elias, who played 234 games for Balmain, was on the Wests Tigers board when the club last won a premiership back in 2005.

He also played 24 State of Origin games for NSW and 14 Tests for Australia.

Pezz70

Juniors
This was posted from the other site, apparently from the Tele?

Balmain Tigers legend Ben Elias and a wealthy consortium have held secret meetings to discuss buying a 50.5 per cent share in the embattled Wests Tigers for up to $10 million.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Elias has completed due diligence about the ownership proposal with a high-flying Sydney businessmen, who want to remain anonymous until talks accelerate.

It is understood Elias has arranged to discuss his plan with Wests Tigers powerbrokers early next week where it would be determined whether the club would consider some form of private ownership.

Should there be interest from Wests Tigers, it is understood an offer could be lodged quickly, pending NRL approval.

When approached on Thursday morning about the stunning bid, a coy Elias only said: “I can confirm it. It’s a work in progress but obviously it’s very early days. But I won’t comment any further.”

Well-placed sources suggest a 50.5 per cent share in Wests Tigers could cost at least $8 million to $10 million.

The Elias-led consortium have no plans to change the club’s name, colours, emblem or shift Wests Tigers from its Leichhardt and Campbelltown heartlands.

The businessmen just want to try to make an offer to drag Wests Tigers from their current rut.

Under the club’s current ownership structure, Wests Magpies own 90 per cent with Balmain Tigers controlling the final 10 per cent.

Wests Tigers are debt-free and backed by the highly successful Wests Leagues Club at Ashfield.

Interest in acquiring more than half the club came after Elias and his consortium discussed the club’s flagging on-field results, which includes missing the finals for the past decade.

Convincing the club’s eight-member board to consider private ownership could be challenging but consortium members are known to be exceptionally wealthy.

Brisbane, Melbourne, South Sydney, Gold Coast, New Zealand and Manly are all governed under private ownership.

Two years ago, Manly’s primary owners, the Penn family, rejected lucrative offers for the entire club valued at $18 million.

The Rabbitohs in particular have flourished under the private ownership of Russell Crowe, James Packer and, previously, Peter Holmes a Court.

Wests Tigers sit equal last on the NRL competition table with one win from seven games. The Tigers play St George Illawarra this Sunday in Wollongong.

Elias, who played 234 games for Balmain, was on the Wests Tigers board when the club last won a premiership back in 2005.

He also played 24 State of Origin games for NSW and 14 Tests for Australia.

Something tells me the West’s 90% owners won’t go for it.

Das Hassler

Bench
I find it a little surprising that 50.5% of a club with supposedly the largest supporter base in sydney would be valued at just ( up to) 10mill....around one season's salary cap or a couple of houses in ( if you're lucky) East Balmain..... i smell rodent

Tiger05

First Grade

That is a good article but the problem is we are shit everywhere. I don't get how we just can't perform to our ability. I suppose we have three project players in the spine and an inconsistent halfback who has never been anywhere near top class.

Out forwards aren't giving our halves space and when we get the ball in good positions our halves aren't creating a lot. Our outside backs can't defend.

Luc and Doueihi have at times looked dangerous but you need a lot more than that.

The coach somehow needs to get things working. The only way we improve to me is massive improvement in the whole team. The Storm lose Papenhuyzen and they are still a quality team. I just want to see the team play well consistently. We play well for 1 week and then shit for 12.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Zac Cini gets a run in first grade !!!

WHooo HOooo! I am so happy about this move. I'm not expecting him to be a super star in his first hit out but he certainly deserves the opportunity for some first grade experience.

He replaces Roberts and is down for the wing but I am hoping he will get some time in the centres. Would not surprise me to see him in a fair few first grade games this year and maybe a first grade fixture next year.

Zac, if you read this I wish you all the best. Have a good one and enjoy it.

stryker

First Grade
Our problem is we have no consistently creative players....no ‘x factors’ who put the opposition on notice whenever they have the ball. The forwards run one outs , lining up politely for their turn. We shift it left far more than right, following plays robotically with basically zero ‘eyes up’ footy. We put up decent spiral bombs for mistakes but no tactical bombs to score. We hardly ever press for set restarts, usually going all in for a try every set. Defending against our attack must be simple. You could declare the whole side is tradesman like in attack.The shackles need to be released on guys like Luc and Laurie who need to touch the ball a lot more than they do.

The defence seems harder to fix. Maybe get Potter back involved as he had some idea. I thought defence was a strength of Maguire’s but he seems devoid of plans. Letting in 30+ points per game is an embarrassment for a professional team. Our attack can’t keep up with those figures.

Perth Tiger

Bench
What a shame Kevvie didn’t accept the Billy Walters for Reece Walsh trade that was mooted earlier this year. He looks like he will be a good player

super_coach

First Grade
Apparently the Sam Burgess signing is in the pipeline despite denials. The Knights are also interested. Personally I don’t want Burgess anywhere near our mob, but there is a upside...South’s cap would be a total disaster