What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Sydney @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 8: Newcastle v Sydney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
Once again you're missing my point mate. This isn't about results. This is about if there's someone about to score a try and he's last in line I want him to do his best to stop it.

Yes he does great plays for us and gets us points, but I don't think it's too much to ask for better attitude and effort.

What do you think Payten is saying if Ponga is at the Cowboys?

I'm not missing your point, I think we just disagree - and you might well be right.

I feel that this is a pretty good example of a broader phenomenon - that fans are quick to jump to criticising effort, when in most cases the issue is talent. It makes sense why one would want to believe "they're just not trying hard enough...they just don't care" - because those are easier to fix (theoretically).

Did any of these guys half-ass it during the week? Did any of them run out not caring about the result? Did Ponga miss the tackle on Radley because his attitude was bad, or is his 1-on-1 defence just not that good?

I think we're not a very talented football club (compared to the top sides), and I don't think we're coached very well. Lots of others will disagree, but I don't think it's an effort or attitude issue.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Alright, I know that we’ve played two of the best defensive teams in the comp in the last two weeks but the Knights’ attack is absolutely pedestrian. Ponga and Brailey are the only two creative players in the whole squad and no one else at the club seems to have two creative brain cells to rub together. Watson and Mann look dangerous at times but don’t do anything too unexpected and our forwards literally don’t seem to know what an offload or a short pass is. Blake Green is supposed to be an organiser but the only play he seems to know is the mid field bomb and stands 20 metres back from the defensive line at all times, although sort of hard to be too harsh given his age and knee problems. The Roosters on the other hand have an 18 year old rookie who’s played only a handful of games and looks far better than our 300 gamer who is on the sidelines right now.

I am just endlessly frustrated by this team and how they somehow manage to look like they’ve never met each other each time they run out onto the field. Can someone who knows footy a bit better than me please explain why the Knights are so shit? Is it a coaching issue or are the players just not instinctive enough or have we just managed to somehow recruit the most boring and uninventive squad in the history of the NRL?

Oh and don’t even get me started about our defence!

Yosh

Coach
Are there literally any positives from tonight? Perhaps the fact the fans stayed till the end?

Rod

Bench
The real problem tonight is not the result, it's what the performance itself indicates. I think this is the most demoralising game in a long time because you couldn't say we were unlucky, or that the refs were against us, or that we had our chances. We actually make up with nothing at all, it's been a completely insipid effort in every single aspect of the game. I genuinely don't see us coming back from this one. We'll play the Raiders back into form next week and then that's pretty much that.

This is spot on. Every loss is bad but this one truly cemented how far off we are (if we didn't know already). We can't blame missing Pearce and a couple of others (even though we did miss him), the Roosters were missing their whole starting spine and still looked like they were playing a different sport to us.

In terms of what's wrong, where do you start. I don't see the point in talking about Ponga, as Brandy said he can't do it all himself, and ultimately as others have said his best position is probably in the 6. Mann tries hard but is just a ball-runner, Green is washed. We desperately need Clifford, even if he isn't the 'answer'.

I'm not sure if I was imagining things but Brailey had comfortably his worst game for us. Took forever to pass and was indecisive. That might be a reflection of our attack in general but if we're going to rap Brailey for previous weeks then have to say he was not great at all today.

The backs had us fooled after last year. We got by then on some good form from young guys (Best) and average first-graders playing above their pay grade (Lee, Hunt). This year they are either injured or woefully out of form (Tuala). Most of them simply aren't up to it, which is concerning given our supposed lack of salary cap space.

Spot On

Coach
Alright, I know that we’ve played two of the best defensive teams in the comp in the last two weeks but the Knights’ attack is absolutely pedestrian.

The Roosters are missing a thousand first graders. Our pack, who many rated extremely highly in this forum, is simply not that good.

Then look at the recruitment we had under Nathan Brown. No hooker, no 5/8 and a million dollar half with 1% of the skill and vision of the 5 game rookie Sam Walker.

Start there maybe.

Any cap room left?

Jono078

Referee
I'm not missing your point, I think we just disagree - and you might well be right.

I feel that this is a pretty good example of a broader phenomenon - that fans are quick to jump to criticising effort, when in most cases the issue is talent. It makes sense why one would want to believe "they're just not trying hard enough...they just don't care" - because those are easier to fix (theoretically).

Did any of these guys half-ass it during the week? Did any of them run out not caring about the result? Did Ponga miss the tackle on Radley because his attitude was bad, or is his 1-on-1 defence just not that good?

I think we're not a very talented football club (compared to the top sides), and I don't think we're coached very well. Lots of others will disagree, but I don't think it's an effort or attitude issue.
Fair post mate, I can appreciate that view. I was just using last line of defense as an example though. There are other aspects where I feel he would or could be better if he applied himself or cared more.

And I don't want to single out Ponga, he sure as shit ain't the only one.

But I believe coaching has an impact on this too. If everyone knew their roles, the gameplan and everything better then you know what you have to do during the game and it looks like you are putting in the effort.

AOB conference live now - let's see...

perverse

Referee
I think it's both. We're missing half a dozen players that would make us a good team, but we're not playing well with what we've got either.

Rod

Bench
Are there literally any positives from tonight? Perhaps the fact the fans stayed till the end?

If you want to view it as a 'positive', the game was over before it even begun through our own stupidity and weak mindset. Roosters simply ran hard and completed their sets and were already up 20-0 ((maybe you give 1 try out of those first 4 to the Roosters due to their class). Theoretically those things are within our control.

newyboy

Juniors
Ao qw pay $4 million on a team that has no chance of a game let alone the comp.

WHY?

Just to put a side in the comp to represent Newcastle? These arse clowns do not represent me. Pick a team of nobodies and pay per win, i would be more than happy to watch them have a F****ING GO, than these overpaid bludgers.

Jono078

Referee
Blake Green is supposed to be an organiser but the only play he seems to know is the mid field bomb and stands 20 metres back from the defensive line at all times, although sort of hard to be too harsh given his age and knee problems. !
I just wanted to comment on this! This is what we want, he was too flat when we returned and it resulted in charge downs and even worse kicks.

AOB being fairly honest here, but he looks like a guy that doesn't know what to do now.

AOB saying we aren't the team we were last year.
Last year we had players like Guera who brought experience and inspiration on and off the field.

Yosh

Coach
AOB keeps mentioning our lads are just happy enough to make first grade. Is it a club thing? Maybe the city loves the team too much? Maybe city is too good of a place to live and is too relaxed? Maybe no real winners in the team?

Also, why does our play style seem so much less professional than the other sides? Part of the same issue as above?

Old dog

Juniors
Think we are gone for season and only a dramatic turn around will save face if not top 8 position.
Time for coach to do something, ok top 17 at moment may be our best but use them differently, JSaf, Sue and Jones to start, Klem, Watson and Barnet to bench. Drop Tuala and replace with Hunt or Mann, try new half combo, Crossland and Sasagi 7 & 6, they can’t do worse than what we have, Mann made mistakes that caused first two tries that caused us to struggle, we were in it up till then, it’s hard to turn the tide.
Mann runs straight we make ground but when he goes crabwise he and support get lost.
I feel sorry for Ponga, Best, Frizell and Brailey, take Captain off Dan and tell him to go out and play. Barnet gives his all but not quite good enough, gets caught out but it’s usually because of his enthusiasm and drive, if pack was better overall then he would show up as better.
Our problem is our spine, especially 6 & 7 along with right centre, bring others in, might not fix but won’t be any worse, at least until Pearce is back and Clifford will not want to be here until Pearce is back and he may not fix the problem

Spot On

Coach
Think we are gone for season and only a dramatic turn around will save face if not top 8 position.
Time for coach to do something, ok top 17 at moment may be our best but use them differently, JSaf, Sue and Jones to start, Klem, Watson and Barnet to bench. Drop Tuala and replace with Hunt or Mann, try new half combo, Crossland and Sasagi 7 & 6, they can’t do worse than what we have, Mann made mistakes that caused first two tries that caused us to struggle, we were in it up till then, it’s hard to turn the tide.
Mann runs straight we make ground but when he goes crabwise he and support get lost.
I feel sorry for Ponga, Best, Frizell and Brailey, take Captain off Dan and tell him to go out and play. Barnet gives his all but not quite good enough, gets caught out but it’s usually because of his enthusiasm and drive, if pack was better overall then he would show up as better.
Our problem is our spine, especially 6 & 7 along with right centre, bring others in, might not fix but won’t be any worse, at least until Pearce is back and Clifford will not want to be here until Pearce is back and he may not fix the problem

Barnett does not have the motor to compete against the good backrowers. He tried his heart out to run over Sam Walker tonight... but couldn't get the job done. But instead of putting better players around him, to improve him, let's recruit a better player to replace him.

Spot On

Coach
AOB keeps mentioning our lads are just happy enough to make first grade. Is it a club thing? Maybe the city loves the team too much? Maybe city is too good of a place to live and is too relaxed? Maybe no real winners in the team?

Also, why does our play style seem so much less professional than the other sides? Part of the same issue as above?

Meninga just called the club and players out on this.

Reflector

Juniors
A Brian Smith type coach could really get something out of the current squad. He'd have them doing the little things well and at least being consistent. It's the little things they are doing wrong and terribly inconsistent when it comes to having the attitude needed to ride out a game and apply pressure.

macavity

Referee
Barnett does not have the motor to compete against the good backrowers. He tried his heart out to run over Sam Walker tonight... but couldn't get the job done. But instead of putting better players around him, to improve him, let's recruit a better player to replace him.

he isn’t big enough to play the game he wants to play.

Latest posts