What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd8: Eels v Dogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Stadium Australia 1/5/21

Eelementary

Post Whore
Tonight Parra had a chance to make a statement, unfortunately it was the wrong one. I was looking for up tempo attack and defence but they were pedestrian with sloppy handling thrown in. If we’re a heavy weight we have to play like one and unless they lift for next week they’ll be exposed by a wounded Rooster. I’m looking for a contender not a pretender.

You think scoring 6 tries in an NRL First Grade game is pedestrian?

I think we never got out of second gear, tbh.

hindy111

Post Whore
That's true.

But for all we know, Brown could finish the season strongly, and get picked for the Kiwis.

But even if he doesn't, he's not as "freakish" as Cleary.

I still feel Brown gets all the shit ball when nothings on. And Moses/Gutherson get ball on strike plays. It would be frustrating for him. Guthersons such a brilliant ball player is might be hampering his development.

I am starting to think Gutherson is our best ever signing? I'm putting it out there. He is a better fullback then Hayne if look at consistency. Hayne at best isn't comparable to anyone. Hands down best but overall very up and down.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
True. But he also debut mid 2016 and was NSW halfback in 2018.And a future immortal
Like most NSW halfbacks since Johns, he was picked on potential rather than form. Finally they got one who might become good enough to make a difference. Or is he just lucky Thurston/Cronk have retired?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I still feel Brown gets all the shit ball when nothings on. And Moses/Gutherson get ball on strike plays. It would be frustrating for him. Guthersons such a brilliant ball player is might be hampering his development.

I am starting to think Gutherson is our best ever signing? I'm putting it out there. He is a better fullback then Hayne.

I think you make good points, on both accounts.

I'm excited to see how Brown ends up - his role isn't to he like Jerome Luai, but at the moment, he is doing hos job.

I love the fact that Brown's defence is flawless.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Poor Shaun has become Brthurs scapegoat as well. He will be on the bench next game as part of the middle rotation. Such a pity.

I love Shaun Lane off the bench, tbh.

He's tall, quick, skilful, and a different body shape - plus he's a strong defender.

I don't think being "demoted" to a bench spot is a sign of weakness in a player; in today's NRL, bench players are more important than ever.

hindy111

Post Whore
I love Shaun Lane off the bench, tbh.

He's tall, quick, skilful, and a different body shape - plus he's a strong defender.

I don't think being "demoted" to a bench spot is a sign of weakness in a player; in today's NRL, bench players are more important than ever.

Papali'i is in the top 10 forwards in game at moment. On form id argue top 5?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Averging 100mtrs and 35 tackles a game. Had 2 tries in 8 games.
Biggest thing is his offloads have gone.

It's a shame - but I'd wager it's a coaching-related tactic.

Matterson, Paulo, and Brown were also quirt in the offload columns in recent weeks (Mattterson's case is obvious).

IFR33K

Coach
Given the stats you supplied, I will concede that Cleary is a better ball-runner - I didn't realise he ran as much as he does.

There's no argument that Brown needs improvement, but he's a great defender, and a decent runner of the ball.

His passing, and kicking games, need work, but time is on his side.

Some things can’t be coached nor will someone improve with time. That’s vision. He’s a strong runner many haven’t seen anything else.