What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd8: Eels v Dogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Stadium Australia 1/5/21

T.S Quint

Coach
well you mustn't have read all the comments

I have. I don’t think they are all doom and gloom (ok maybe a couple are).
Just pointing out some deficiencies is mostly what I see. Some are taking it a bit far saying he will never be any good, but for the most part just people seeing he’s having some issues and hoping he rectifies them.

IFR33K

Coach
I have. I don’t think they are all doom and gloom (ok maybe a couple are).
Just pointing out some deficiencies is mostly what I see. Some are taking it a bit far saying he will never be any good, but for the most part just people seeing he’s having some issues and hoping he rectifies them.

It’s a fan forum and have no issues with what’s being said.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think we are being a bit nit picky with him. He does have an error in his game, especially against a team with good line speed. However he does not have "hands like feet" or anything as bad as that. Are we paying for potential ? Probably, but he is only 40 games young and he makes up for shutting down numerous half breaks every game.

As for one merkin who I think was drunk when posting here late Saturday night, no we should not drop Dylan for Jordan Rankin. :)

I reckon with all the buckshot he has copped due to the dunny crap his mind wouldn't be 100%

IFR33K

Coach
Agreed and like Trip Advisor or Amazon reviews, readers should take the over the top praise and the nastiest takedown posts with a grain of salt.

Sorry mate. We should be praising him on how amazing he is and all agree he’d walk into any team in the top 8.

TheRam

Coach
Twizzle, I hate the way Drown is playing offensively right now.

It shows very little creativity or aptitude for the game as a half. He is like a human handbrake out there at present. I have almost forgotten that he even has a short kicking game. I doubt the coaching staff have told him to put almost all that makes a half/5/8th, a playmaker away.

I understand that he is only just starting out his NRL career and the coach has probably told him to concentrate on certain areas of his game over others, but I doubt they have told him to struggle to draw and pass at the line or not count numbers and pass to the wrong player or drop balls. These are some of the little things that he has been getting wrong throughout his time in the NRL.

He has a tidy short passing game, but as for almost everything else as a 5/8th's attacking game he is very average. His running game too is underwhelming because he isn't doing anything with his hands to threaten the defense other then just run so to the defense it is just like tackling a non passing forward out wide.

What I would have expected if the coaching staff wanted him to simplify his game as they build it up over the first few years is a player that makes sure he makes his tackles, which he does and at present is the best part of his game. Offensively though I would told him to focus on just being a link man on his side of the field and running wherever the opportunity presents itself. Not to worry about making things happen on his own and to occasionally kick. This is what seems to have been the directive so far and what he is doing.

But the problem though is he is doing doing it rather poorly a lot of the time. His passing game and his ability to sum up an attacking raid and then execute it properly is what concerns me the most at present. He just doesn't look very comfortable or proficient in this area. Almost like a dear in headlights at times.

I agree that we need to build his game from the basics first and slowly add to his bow, but he is not showing improvement in the things that he is doing and actually playing worse at times. Mahoney other then the occasional game here and there has always played well. He just needed to add a running game to his game so as that he could be a threat at the ruck and bring our players on to the ball over the advantage line, which he is now doing.

What I expected from someone of Drowns ability as a running 5/8th is for him to have been given a licence to roam. All I would have told him would be make your tackles, give good quick service to your backs and when you get the feeling in a game, due to him being basically the second fittest at the club behind Gutho, make your support play your weapon.

Instead of him just running the ball as a hitup all the time, he should loiter on either side of the ruck like Gutho, and anticipate a break or half break. He has the fitness to do this and even better then Gutho, is much quicker. I would turn him into a support/running 5/8th. Just like Baa Baa if he just learnt to pushup in the middle all the time, good things would naturally happen for him.

But at the the moment, he is mainly just sitting out wide waiting for things to happen and to much time to think and get it wrong. If he became more of a hound dog support player his game would improve 10 fold, because then he would find himself in many different scenario's that he would have to deal with and learn from his mistakes. At present he isn't contributing much in the backline and actually stifling it on many occasions and I think it is because he is trying to make it happen, but failing and getting frustrated.

I am still a fan of his and think that he deserves his place in the team at the very least because we have no one better at the club to replace him with anyway. But he needs to change his game up a little and becoming a rovers dog out there just like Gutho, which I believe is the first step in building up his attacking game. Gutho's attacking game has come along due to all the support play he has built his game around. Like I said, he is super fit just like Gutho and you can never have to many support players, especially in our team of off loaders who so often are looking around and no one is there.

But I suspect he will continue on the way he is playing right now and end up a solid but nothing special playmaker. So if somehow he turns his game around over the next year or two and comes on in leaps and bounds, I will consider our coach a master player developer and he knows exactly what he is doing and the rest of us are just nongs. But I can't say I am not concerned. He just looks confused and lost out there. I hope I am so very wrong and that there is a method to the madness.

Time will tell.

chiefy1

Juniors

It shows very little creativity or aptitude for the game as a half. He is like a human handbrake out there at present. I have almost forgotten that he even has a short kicking game. I doubt the coaching staff have told him to put almost all that makes a half/5/8th, a playmaker away.

I understand that he is only just starting out his NRL career and the coach has probably told him to concentrate on certain areas of his game over others, but I doubt they have told him to struggle to draw and pass at the line or not count numbers and pass to the wrong player or drop balls. These are some of the little things that he has been getting wrong throughout his time in the NRL.

He has a tidy short passing game, but as for almost everything else as a 5/8th's attacking game he is very average. His running game too is underwhelming because he isn't doing anything with his hands to threaten the defense other then just run so to the defense it is just like tackling a non passing forward out wide.

What I would have expected if the coaching staff wanted him to simplify his game as they build it up over the first few years is a player that makes sure he makes his tackles, which he does and at present is the best part of his game. Offensively though I would told him to focus on just being a link man on his side of the field and running wherever the opportunity presents itself. Not to worry about making things happen on his own and to occasionally kick. This is what seems to have been the directive so far and what he is doing.

But the problem though is he is doing doing it rather poorly a lot of the time. His passing game and his ability to sum up an attacking raid and then execute it properly is what concerns me the most at present. He just doesn't look very comfortable or proficient in this area. Almost like a dear in headlights at times.

I agree that we need to build his game from the basics first and slowly add to his bow, but he is not showing improvement in the things that he is doing and actually playing worse at times. Mahoney other then the occasional game here and there has always played well. He just needed to add a running game to his game so as that he could be a threat at the ruck and bring our players on to the ball over the advantage line, which he is now doing.

What I expected from someone of Drowns ability as a running 5/8th is for him to have been given a licence to roam. All I would have told him would be make your tackles, give good quick service to your backs and when you get the feeling in a game, due to him being basically the second fittest at the club behind Gutho, make your support play your weapon.

Instead of him just running the ball as a hitup all the time, he should loiter on either side of the ruck like Gutho, and anticipate a break or half break. He has the fitness to do this and even better then Gutho, is much quicker. I would turn him into a support/running 5/8th. Just like Baa Baa if he just learnt to pushup in the middle all the time, good things would naturally happen for him.

But at the the moment, he is mainly just sitting out wide waiting for things to happen and to much time to think and get it wrong. If he became more of a hound dog support player his game would improve 10 fold, because then he would find himself in many different scenario's that he would have to deal with and learn from his mistakes. At present he isn't contributing much in the backline and actually stifling it on many occasions and I think it is because he is trying to make it happen, but failing and getting frustrated.

I am still a fan of his and think that he deserves his place in the team at the very least because we have no one better at the club to replace him with anyway. But he needs to change his game up a little and becoming a rovers dog out there just like Gutho, which I believe is the first step in building up his attacking game. Gutho's attacking game has come along due to all the support play he has built his game around. Like I said, he is super fit just like Gutho and you can never have to many support players, especially in our team of off loaders who so often are looking around and no one is there.

But I suspect he will continue on the way he is playing right now and end up a solid but nothing special playmaker. So if somehow he turns his game around over the next year or two and comes on in leaps and bounds, I will consider our coach a master player developer and he knows exactly what he is doing and the rest of us are just nongs. But I can't say I am not concerned. He just looks confused and lost out there. I hope I am so very wrong and that there is a method to the madness.

Time will tell.

Dylans a ball runner with a good kicking game for his age and an excellent defensive player. At 20, he lacks the physical strength in which his ball running style suits the team, within 18 months of strength & maturity, he will be breaking those tackles in which he is easily taken care of at the moment. He'll come good.

hindy111

Post Whore

Time will tell.

You would make an astute coach Ram. Your sense of the game amazes me.

hindy111

Post Whore
Dylans a ball runner with a good kicking game for his age and an excellent defensive player. At 20, he lacks the physical strength in which his ball running style suits the team, with months of strength maturity, he will be breaking those tackles in which he is easily taken care of at the moment. He'll come good.

Thanks for the scoop cheify

Gronk

Staff member
Dylans a ball runner with a good kicking game for his age and an excellent defensive player. At 20, he lacks the physical strength in which his ball running style suits the team, within 18 months of strength & maturity, he will be breaking those tackles in which he is easily taken care of at the moment. He'll come good.
Agree
Thanks for the scoop cheify
Very silly.

TheRam

Coach
You would make an astute coach Ram. Your sense of the game amazes me.

Thanks Hindy, much appreciated mate, but they are just simple observations that as a long term fan that I have picked noticed.

As for the ppl that think that I am hating on Drown, it couldn't be further from the truth. I just think that his game hasn't changed much at all and in some ways has worsened. I get that he is very young still and has a long way to go as yet as a developing half and that there will be improvement in him for sure. I also think that he is going to make it in the NRL, but the question that we are all guessing at is, how good an NRL player will he be?

My thoughts are that if he were to focus more on a rover support roll it would eventually build his game without the pressure of trying to be a playmaker at this stage and it would eventually improve his game overall. It would slowly finesse his passing game, timing and ball playing just like it has for most good support players.

Just my thoughts.

Latest posts