What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 - Rabbitohs vs Storm: Thursday 6th May 7:50pm @Stadium Australia

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 9,

1. Walker
2. Johnston
3. Burns
4. Marsters
5. Gagai
6. Marshall
7. Reynolds (C)/ Hawkins
8. Burgess
9. Cook
10. Tatola
11. Koloamatangi
12. Su'A
13. Arrow

14. Nicholls
15. Knight
16. Host
17. Sele

First and foremost, I agree with many others who say we should shift Gags to right wing, bring Marsters in at right centre and then have Burnsy play left centre. In an ideal world, I'd like to have the left side kept in tact and for Gags to not move at all but this is not an ideal world. We can't have the likes of Marsters and Burns defending agains Olam and Addo-Carr so Gags must shift. I know Burns is a bit risky but he is the highest quality we currently have in the back ups. Hosty can play centre if Braidon can't get through 80.

Reyno has been cleared of surgery (thanks god) and is a chance of playing this week so I expect him to be named. If he's out, I feel we need to keep the balance of our siude from the past couple of weeks so I'd bring Hawkins in and have Cody and Benji remain where they are.

In the forward pack, it'll be great to have Junior back otherwise Arrow replaces Murray and then Sele gets a shot on the bench for me. He deserves it!!

Will see what is named tomorrow.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Likely Souths squad to be named:

Cody
Gagai
Marsters
Burns
AJ
Benji
Reynolds
Tom
Cook
Tatola
Su’a
Koloamatangi
Arrow

Nicholls
Knight
Host
Mago

Hawkins
Sele
Milne
Dargan

Rabbits20

Immortal
My match preview. Don’t often do them but when I do like to share it!

Well well well here we are it’s that time again where we meet a massive arch rival the Storm. As we all know they’re a bogey side for us and no one has a worse record against anyone than we do against the Storm. Good thing this week is it’s on our home turf where we have beaten them before! Being a Thursday Night will probs mean it’s only quite a small crowd but I know all the diehard Souths members will be out there! I certainly will be.

Looking at the last month

Well for Souths we’ve had a very strong last 7 weeks and quite a strong last 4 games. We defeated Brisbane 35-6, defeated West’s Tigers 18-14 in an insane nail biter, defeated Titans in a comeback win 40-30 and defeated Raiders 34-20. The last few weeks we have played teams who have been coming off big losses so we’ve been challenged in every one of those games. Our defence has been a bit off the last couple of weeks and I feel our overall contact in defence has slipped and it’s not quite where it needs to be. The great thing is our attack has been great and we are creating lots of opportunities to keep racking the points up.

Looking at the Storm the last month they have had a 52-18 win over the Dogs, 20-4 win over the Rorters, 42-20 win over the Warriors and 40-14 win over the Sharks. They’ve really found their mojo the Storm in the last month and their attack is on song. Like us though the last couple of weeks they wouldn’t be happy with some of the tries they’ve been letting in so they’ll be looking to fix that.

Last time we met

Well how could we forget… it was Round 1 of this season. We just didn’t come out of the blocks and they were up 22-0 before we could blink. We were quite lethargic and had a poor completion rate the first half making crucial errors which just invited the Storm to hammer us. They also spread the ball early several times and found space on our edges! In the second half we got it back on our terms more so as we held the ball and made plenty of metres in the middle creating opportunities for us to get right back into it. Ultimately we had too much to do and a couple of 50/50 reffing decisions went against us plus an error or 2 which just meant we couldn’t bring the W home and our hoodoo down there continued!

Team News

Well for us we’ve been hit hard with injuries/suspensions and we are likely to be without all of Trell, Mansour, Campbell, Paulo, Moga, Reyno, Ta’affe, Murray and J. Cartwright… so the injuries are starting to mount up and our depth is about to get tested. I would expect Reyno to be named but don’t expect him to play. Marsters and Burns are likely to come into the centres for us and Hawkins into halfback with Arrow to lock.

For the Storm they’re getting NAS and G. Jennings back and there is a fair chance they will have Pap back as well. So the Storm are pretty much at full strength.

Keys to the game and getting the win

For us I just wanna see us dig deep and put in a big effort. That starts with our forward pack aiming up right from the start and getting into the Storm early. We simply can’t start how we have the last few weeks. Yes Murray is a big out but we have enough there to still get the job done. The next thing is our completion rate we simply can’t afford any cheap errors like the last time we played them. We also need to be disciplined not giving any cheap penalties or 6 agains away! Having a good kicking game as well will be important so even if Reyno is out Benji and Hawkins are very capable and can’t afford to kick down the Storms backs throats or kick it dead giving them 7 tackles. Our left edge once again is where I feel we can score some points and I see a vulnerability in the Storm down their right side defence. We also need Cookie to get into the game so need to find a way to try get some fast play the balls. If that can’t happen then Cookie will have to focus on making sure he’s giving good service with every pass on the money. For our outside backs we just need them to hang in there and all we can ask the guts coming in to do a job is that they do their best and work hard to scramble for one another. Another big key is stopping the offloads. We simply
can’t let the Storm offload at will as they’ll hammer us. They have threats all over the park but we will have to try and shut down Munster somehow which never seem to be able to do and also shut down Pap and Grant. Another big key is not giving Addo Carr any space or time. Hughes is another one you have to watch like a hawk!

Our job in the crowd

CMON RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS GET THE HELL OUT THERE THIS THURSDAY NIGHT!!! WE ARE GOING FOR 8 IN A ROW SO LETS GET RIGHT BEHIND THE BOYS AND MAKE PLENTY OF NOISE!!! I THINK WE WILL GET KLEIN SO LETS MAKE SURE WE COME HOME WITH NO VOICE AND DO WHATEVER WE CAN TO GET ANY EXTRA SET RESTART OR PENALTY WE CAN GET!!!

BBBOOOO GET EM ONSIDE KLEIN BBBOOOOOOOO HOW LONG CAN THEY HOLD ON FOR!!! FORWARD FFOORRWWAARRRDDD PPPAAASSSSSS

THERE IS ONLY ONE SOUTH SYDNEY

ONE SOUTH SYDNEY

WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG SINGING GLORY GLORY ALL THE WAY

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

RRRAAABBBIIITTTTOOHHHSSS

RRRAAABBBIIITTTOOHHHSSS

AAYYEE OOHHHH RRRAABBBIITT PRROOOFFF

AAAYYEEE OOOHHHH RRRAAABBBIITTT PPRROOOFFFFF

Gamenight

In the words of Jez as we look down the tunnel here at Stadium Australia we can see the jerseys of the purple and white starting to make their way down the tunnel. Rabbitohs members and Rabbitohs supporters please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the Melbourne Storm!!!

AT 7:53PM OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS ITS NOW TIME TO GET ON YOUR FEET CLAP YOUR HANDS SHOW THE COLOURS SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT!!! HERE THEY COME ONTO HOME TURF YYOOUUURRR SOUTH SYDNEY RRRAABBIIITTOOHHHHSS!!!

LLEETTTSSSS GGGOOOO RRAAABBBIIITTTOOOHHSSS!!!

Final prediction

Souths to take it right up to the Storm but who we have out will be a bridge too far Storm by 8

NovoBunny94

Juniors
My match preview. Don’t often do them but when I do like to share it!

Well well well here we are it’s that time again where we meet a massive arch rival the Storm. As we all know they’re a bogey side for us and no one has a worse record against anyone than we do against the Storm. Good thing this week is it’s on our home turf where we have beaten them before! Being a Thursday Night will probs mean it’s only quite a small crowd but I know all the diehard Souths members will be out there! I certainly will be.

Looking at the last month

Well for Souths we’ve had a very strong last 7 weeks and quite a strong last 4 games. We defeated Brisbane 35-6, defeated West’s Tigers 18-14 in an insane nail biter, defeated Titans in a comeback win 40-30 and defeated Raiders 34-20. The last few weeks we have played teams who have been coming off big losses so we’ve been challenged in every one of those games. Our defence has been a bit off the last couple of weeks and I feel our overall contact in defence has slipped and it’s not quite where it needs to be. The great thing is our attack has been great and we are creating lots of opportunities to keep racking the points up.

Looking at the Storm the last month they have had a 52-18 win over the Dogs, 20-4 win over the Rorters, 42-20 win over the Warriors and 40-14 win over the Sharks. They’ve really found their mojo the Storm in the last month and their attack is on song. Like us though the last couple of weeks they wouldn’t be happy with some of the tries they’ve been letting in so they’ll be looking to fix that.

Last time we met

Well how could we forget… it was Round 1 of this season. We just didn’t come out of the blocks and they were up 22-0 before we could blink. We were quite lethargic and had a poor completion rate the first half making crucial errors which just invited the Storm to hammer us. They also spread the ball early several times and found space on our edges! In the second half we got it back on our terms more so as we held the ball and made plenty of metres in the middle creating opportunities for us to get right back into it. Ultimately we had too much to do and a couple of 50/50 reffing decisions went against us plus an error or 2 which just meant we couldn’t bring the W home and our hoodoo down there continued!

Team News

Well for us we’ve been hit hard with injuries/suspensions and we are likely to be without all of Trell, Mansour, Campbell, Paulo, Moga, Reyno, Ta’affe, Murray and J. Cartwright… so the injuries are starting to mount up and our depth is about to get tested. I would expect Reyno to be named but don’t expect him to play. Marsters and Burns are likely to come into the centres for us and Hawkins into halfback with Arrow to lock.

For the Storm they’re getting NAS and G. Jennings back and there is a fair chance they will have Pap back as well. So the Storm are pretty much at full strength.

Keys to the game and getting the win

For us I just wanna see us dig deep and put in a big effort. That starts with our forward pack aiming up right from the start and getting into the Storm early. We simply can’t start how we have the last few weeks. Yes Murray is a big out but we have enough there to still get the job done. The next thing is our completion rate we simply can’t afford any cheap errors like the last time we played them. We also need to be disciplined not giving any cheap penalties or 6 agains away! Having a good kicking game as well will be important so even if Reyno is out Benji and Hawkins are very capable and can’t afford to kick down the Storms backs throats or kick it dead giving them 7 tackles. Our left edge once again is where I feel we can score some points and I see a vulnerability in the Storm down their right side defence. We also need Cookie to get into the game so need to find a way to try get some fast play the balls. If that can’t happen then Cookie will have to focus on making sure he’s giving good service with every pass on the money. For our outside backs we just need them to hang in there and all we can ask the guts coming in to do a job is that they do their best and work hard to scramble for one another. Another big key is stopping the offloads. We simply
can’t let the Storm offload at will as they’ll hammer us. They have threats all over the park but we will have to try and shut down Munster somehow which never seem to be able to do and also shut down Pap and Grant. Another big key is not giving Addo Carr any space or time. Hughes is another one you have to watch like a hawk!

Our job in the crowd

CMON RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS GET THE HELL OUT THERE THIS THURSDAY NIGHT!!! WE ARE GOING FOR 8 IN A ROW SO LETS GET RIGHT BEHIND THE BOYS AND MAKE PLENTY OF NOISE!!! I THINK WE WILL GET KLEIN SO LETS MAKE SURE WE COME HOME WITH NO VOICE AND DO WHATEVER WE CAN TO GET ANY EXTRA SET RESTART OR PENALTY WE CAN GET!!!

BBBOOOO GET EM ONSIDE KLEIN BBBOOOOOOOO HOW LONG CAN THEY HOLD ON FOR!!! FORWARD FFOORRWWAARRRDDD PPPAAASSSSSS

THERE IS ONLY ONE SOUTH SYDNEY

ONE SOUTH SYDNEY

WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG SINGING GLORY GLORY ALL THE WAY

RRRAAABBBIIITTTTOOHHHSSS

RRRAAABBBIIITTTOOHHHSSS

AAYYEE OOHHHH RRRAABBBIITT PRROOOFFF

AAAYYEEE OOOHHHH RRRAAABBBIITTT PPRROOOFFFFF

Gamenight

In the words of Jez as we look down the tunnel here at Stadium Australia we can see the jerseys of the purple and white starting to make their way down the tunnel. Rabbitohs members and Rabbitohs supporters please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the Melbourne Storm!!!

AT 7:53PM OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS ITS NOW TIME TO GET ON YOUR FEET CLAP YOUR HANDS SHOW THE COLOURS SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT!!! HERE THEY COME ONTO HOME TURF YYOOUUURRR SOUTH SYDNEY RRRAABBIIITTOOHHHHSS!!!

LLEETTTSSSS GGGOOOO RRAAABBBIIITTTOOOHHSSS!!!

Final prediction

Souths to take it right up to the Storm but who we have out will be a bridge too far Storm by 8
After reading all that you gave me hope.. then you said storm by 8 :joy:

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 9: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/05/04/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-nine/

Not the line up I was expecting or hoping for however, I don't think we can be too unhappy with it. AJ is a capable back up fullback as he has proven over the years, Cody is back in his best position and Benji is a legendary halfback to replace Reyno. Personally, I would have preferred to have Hawkins at 7 with Benji and Cody remaining where they are. In saying that, we must keep in mind that Hawkins has been named in the 21 man squad and there is still a chance he'll play. I wouldn't put my house on this being how we run out on Thursday night because if ever there was a week for Wayne to play games with the opposisition, this would be it.

Aside from that, Marsters and Milne are the new wingers with Burns returning at right centre. That right edge defence is going to have a huge job defensively and I am a little concerned about that. Let's hope both Taane and Burnsy will be solid.

In the pack, it's a big boost to have Junior back and we have the luxury of being able to bring Arrow in to play lock in Murray's absence. Mago comes onto the bench and it's great to see Cartwright back in the 21 man squad, he must be fit again which is fantastic!! Is there a chance he plays?

A bit of carnage this week with the changes but I still think we've named a really decent side, such is the depth of our 2021 squad. I'm not feeling super confident but at the same time, I'm kind of feeling okay about it and really looking forward to the game. Will back everyone that's come in to perform and do a job.

Keen for Thursday night!!

Jim Rockford

Bench
I think Wayne is wary about throwing Hawkins in against the Storm for his debut. If there's one team that can exploit an inexperienced player it's definitely the Storm.

callmack1

Staff member
None of Marsters, Milne or Burns are present in the NSW Cup side named for Round 9 but Hawkins has been named which kind of squashes the theory that this will not be how we run out on Thursday night. I now believe the side will be 1-17. Not the way I'd pick it but in Wayne we trust.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I think Wayne is wary about throwing Hawkins in against the Storm for his debut. If there's one team that can exploit an inexperienced player it's definitely the Storm.
Dean Hawkins debut was a few weeks ago, against the Broncos, but yeah the general sentiment is probably correct, although I thought there may have been a chance he'd be named on the bench

Rabbits20

Immortal

A mate of mine his mate was at captains run this morning and said this:

Koloamatangi trained at lock Arrow prop Host second row and Tatola to come off the bench.

Also Mago out J. Cartwright in and the source is chaps from Rabbitohs radio:

So we should run out like this:

Cody (C)

Gagai

Marsters

Burns

AJ

Benji

Hawkins

Tom

Cook

Arrow