What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

chrisD

Coach
Burton is benefiting from the exact same effect and Burton certainly has not looked like a better defender than Critta.
I wouldn't be taking Crichton's money and giving it to Burton for the purpose of him playing centre. I'd take it to gamble on Burton providing more for the money to the team in the long run, probably by becoming our fullback. And I'm doing it with the hindsight of knowing Crichton's performances this season.

But at the end of the day people at the club get paid to make these calls, and they should be judged by them.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It was so obviously a joke, anyone who actually listened to what Brandy said would be left on no doubt he was joking.

He was taking the piss out of the whole situation.

betcats

Referee
I wouldn't be taking Crichton's money and giving it to Burton for the purpose of him playing centre. I'd take it to gamble on Burton providing more for the money to the team in the long run, probably by becoming our fullback. And I'm doing it with the hindsight of knowing Crichton's performances this season.

But at the end of the day people at the club get paid to make these calls, and they should be judged by them.

Fair enough. Burton is incredible there is no doubt about it, if I could keep Burton and let Crichton go with no adverse effects on the playing group I would do it assuming Burton would stay long term, I am not sure it is possible though.

That being said I do think Crichton is being judged pretty harshly here. Any young player can struggle for form, I think his performance's are improving lately.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd be surprised if dwz didn't get forced to super league next year. Hasn't really offered much at nrl level since going to the dogs and has even been dropped a few times for them.

Dogs backline next year certainly will look A LOT better than now.

1. Allan
2. Addo Carr
3. Meaney/naden
4. Hopa
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Flano

Pretty solid backline. Flano is shit house but the rest is pretty good imo.

Allan looked a great player at Souths but looks bog average now. Naden looked solid in a great side. How will he look in a terrible one?
JAC has been the best winger in game but in the best side over last decade. Jobs made easy. How bad does Cotric also look now?
Put DWZ in the Storm side and he'd carve up. So would Cotric. Sometimes it is more about the system then the player.

Watching the Dogs against the eels. Eels didn't even try or put much energy in this game. Bombed 3 or 4 tries along the way. Dogs look slow and do not play at NRL intensity unlike last season where atleast they where tough.
Do you think they'd best your Nsw cup side?

hindy111

Post Whore
Reality is if he is as good as guys say his next contract remembering he only has 2yrs with a 3rd being the players option at dogs will be close to 1 million.
With Nathan in that and Luai prob over 600k can you afford another million dollar player in the spine without weakening the rest of the squad?

Best thing to stay up top is to keep your core. A guy like Edwards won't ever command the huge dollars so could be a good fit for your squad.
When guys become to expensive you need someone ready to come in. Example is this Tago kid I guess. Perhaps getting 2 cheap years before they get a pay day.

Burton will end up doing two things. Stay at Dogs and not become the next Fitler like people hype him up to be. Or kill it and either cost the Dogs 1 mill plus or the Rooster/Brisbane will just take him.

Whino

Bench
Allan looked a great player at Souths but looks bog average now. Naden looked solid in a great side. How will he look in a terrible one?
JAC has been the best winger in game but in the best side over last decade. Jobs made easy. How bad does Cotric also look now?
Put DWZ in the Storm side and he'd carve up. So would Cotric. Sometimes it is more about the system then the player.

Watching the Dogs against the eels. Eels didn't even try or put much energy in this game. Bombed 3 or 4 tries along the way. Dogs look slow and do not play at NRL intensity unlike last season where atleast they where tough.
Do you think they'd best your Nsw cup side?

Our NSW cup side would beat a few of the bum teams in the NRL. Dogs included.

Whino

Bench
Reality is if he is as good as guys say his next contract remembering he only has 2yrs with a 3rd being the players option at dogs will be close to 1 million.
With Nathan in that and Luai prob over 600k can you afford another million dollar player in the spine without weakening the rest of the squad?

Best thing to stay up top is to keep your core. A guy like Edwards won't ever command the huge dollars so could be a good fit for your squad.
When guys become to expensive you need someone ready to come in. Example is this Tago kid I guess. Perhaps getting 2 cheap years before they get a pay day.

Burton will end up doing two things. Stay at Dogs and not become the next Fitler like people hype him up to be. Or kill it and either cost the Dogs 1 mill plus or the Rooster/Brisbane will just take him.

Interesting thing on Burton. I don't see it but Fittler has been talking him up as a bolter for Origin. If he makes it I wouldn't be surprised if his manager tried to squeeze the Dogs for more in his existing contract.
Some managers are like that.

The_Frog

First Grade
If he plays Origin under Fittler or even is picked as a development player, expect him to end up at the Roosters.

With Nathan in that and Luai prob over 600k

It should be remembered that he has never been considered good enough to displace Luai from first grade at the Panthers.

Our NSW cup side would beat a few of the bum teams in the NRL. Dogs included.

There's at least half a first grade side there. You can see why the NRL aren't helping us to keep the players we develop. All the talk of an uneven comp and not enough good players to go around and you've got this team in reserve grade.

This is what Dragons did in the 50's and 60's and Souths in the late 60's early 70's. They had players picked for rep sides from reserve grade, and no salary cap to worry about.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Interesting thing on Burton. I don't see it but Fittler has been talking him up as a bolter for Origin. If he makes it I wouldn't be surprised if his manager tried to squeeze the Dogs for more in his existing contract.
Some managers are like that.

Especially yesterday he was shown up in defence a few poor reads as you get with young guy coming through. So no where near Origin yet. Next year who knows especially if he adds a bit of flexibility

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair enough. Burton is incredible there is no doubt about it, if I could keep Burton and let Crichton go with no adverse effects on the playing group I would do it assuming Burton would stay long term, I am not sure it is possible though.

That being said I do think Crichton is being judged pretty harshly here. Any young player can struggle for form, I think his performance's are improving lately.

Very few players can go from left centre. Fullback then to right side. So the fact he is moving around as the team needs deserves more credit.

Luai leads the NRL in try assists. So of course the left centre is going to benefit so it is an out of sight of mind type of thing.

The right side is coming along but as far as moving the ball they are miles behind the left but defensively the right has been strong and still got a few tries

The_Frog

First Grade
Especially yesterday he was shown up in defence a few poor reads as you get with young guy coming through. So no where near Origin yet. Next year who knows especially if he adds a bit of flexibility
To'o made a bad blue not trusting Burton when he was able to handle his man adequately. This resulted in the Saab try.

Black Magik

Juniors
The Mole is suggesting that we might be sniffing around Joey Taps.

I find this rumour quite entertaining on a number of levels.

I found humour in his wifes rant saying the interchanges were killing them...isn't her husband (Tapine) one of those interchange players??

I know that she means Spittys management of the interchange but I have a weird sense of humour and that is what I would have hit back with.

betcats

Referee
I'd love to have Tapine on board even just for the rest of the year but I dont see how we could afford him if we cant afford Lodge.