What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Dogs

thebigredv

First Grade
I think they all got a proverbial kick in the teeth when McGuire was signed midseason. I really hope not because that suggests a terrible attitude towards it all.. too early for conspiracies?

Our players generally have bad attitudes. It's been a problem for a long time. Theres a lot of our squad who are done for the year. The rest of the players will have to carry them, and if history repeats we will lose one of the good ones and retain the feeble.

BLM01

First Grade
Must win against the Dogs, we lose then I fear that’s it and we will hit the skids as we have done in past seasons. Our team is mentally weak and the lack of on field leaders is apparent now. They seem to go OK when winning, but then drop their bundle when things start going against them and revert to the Dragons of old. There is no resilience and character, with just mistake riddled football, poor defence, and lack of communication This shows up the lack of player depth we have and to be honest, I’m not all that convinced about Ramsey as a saviour and our junior teams are being smashed....
Glad you have it all worked out and are now death riding the side and club and their attitude after 3 losses and 1 poor game against the Tigers.

BLM01

First Grade
We all love the Dragons but the truth hurts.

New CEO and new coach was a good start. A major overhaul in the player ranks is needed stat so we can start to rebuild.
But we are starting. You cant have instant consistency and winning. These are the bumps we have to go through. It is not a player attitude complacency thing as some suggest..it is a roster depth thing thanks to all and sundry over the past 9-10 years amd lack of planning / looking to the future and creating our own bubble of staff from within without going out and seeking the right people to bring it all together,
We are where we are ATM due to that poor leadership from our CEO and BOD

LINESPEED

Juniors

New CEO and new coach was a good start. A major overhaul in the player ranks is needed stat so we can start to rebuild.

So what to do about the bellyup attitudinal syndrome - if that’s indeed what’s emerging?

Can’t say for sure

But surely
you would look for the common denominators of yearly failure?

The failure of the longtermers, our ‘cultural’ repositories, to lead consistently?

And who are they?

Norman, Vaughan, Hunt, Sims?

A culture of complacency
with occasional intensity only?

(dependent FFS on the attitudinal & ethical void of Norman - at the very heart of our team)

And Anthony, you’ve fallen Hook line & sinker for this fool.

And he’ll do you over

Is burnout
(both mental & physical)
our common theme?

Coach &/or conditioners at fault?

(Geez look at the Panthers & Storm & their energy & mental freedom)

For me Hook’s old school
(is that why someone said he was shafted ?)
power game required 4 hard head bench forwards from the
getgo

That extra 10 minutes? of energy in the reserve tank multiplied over our first 5 games is a percentage calculation?

... that adds up to a more consistent performance?

I see he has 4 forwards benched now for the first time
- but the damage has been done.

The linespeed barometer is there for all to see?

And then, for me, there’s the failure to instill the virtues of the offload
Often a symptom of a coach under siege playing safety first & trying for basics

- rather than encouaging the more expansive & enjoyable pointscoring attack mindset

.... which creates time & space -

& balances & dissipates the energy levels?

Creates time with the ball
in hand,
creates attack opportunities, extends the time between defensive sets.

It’s called possession

moving the ball

& it leads to points

Which we sure lack ATM.

(And FMD I keep trying to ignore that comment by an ex-Bronc who said Hook’s unable to close out tight games)

Did we need wiserselections?
Better games plans, adjustable on the run?

Out with the old,
In with the new?

(which is where we should’ve started the year - if indeed we wanted longer term consistency?)

I like Hook, but has this year’s horse already bolted?

And FMD we’ve been done by the Tigs & the Dogs are at the gates again

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Being Mother’s Day tomorrow & a day of reflection and celebration, I’m expecting our team to continue the tradition of disappointment on momentous occasions.
I believe the Bulldogs will get us again with enthusiasm and a great record of previous victories at Kogarah.

LINESPEED

Juniors

So what to do about the bellyup syndrome - if that’s indeed what’s happening?

But surely you would look for the common denominators of failure?

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
But we are starting. You cant have instant consistency and winning. These are the bumps we have to go through. It is not a player attitude complacency thing as some suggest..it is a roster depth thing thanks to all and sundry over the past 9-10 years amd lack of planning / looking to the future and creating our own bubble of staff from within without going out and seeking the right people to bring it all together,
We are where we are ATM due to that poor leadership from our CEO and BOD

Exactly, the recruitment needs to be mighty successful between now and the start of next season so that we have the depth and more crucially the talent to move us to the next tier of teams. That I have a slight sense of foreboding comes with all the activity of big name players and the lack so far for us to land anyone. There is such a thing of being too late to the party and not being proactive. The coach makes a big influence on who signs and it's time for Griffin to rise to the occasion. If we are left with Norman after the entourage of quality that has left us that will do me. Staggs would have been a bold move in the right direction. What are we doing, waiting for JDB outcome? Waiting for the right players to magically appear? Our juniors aren't making any massive leaps right now. Great game plan.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So what to do about the bellyup syndrome - if that’s indeed what’s happening?

But surely you would look for the common denominators of failure?

Common denominator is we dont have an out and out superstar in our ranks (not yet anyway). We dont have a Tedesco or Tommy Turbo, JT or Cleary, Papahyusen or Ponga (when hes on).
We have run of the mill players.

In previous years our style of play, poor coaching poor recruiting and lacksadaidical approach failed to deliver both a star player or even recruit one. Many a time we were the player managers whore.
It will take time to erase this from our players.

Hook has only just arrived, and tes i question the 'dads army' recruitement he's gone on, but hey, we arent paying a lot for them.

Bellyup? In previous years definitely, this year theres only been 1 game, so far were we did, imo.

We're currently 6th on the ladder. Whether we deserve to he there will be determined by around 6pm tomorrow.

thebigredv

First Grade
So what to do about the bellyup attitudinal syndrome - if that’s indeed what’s emerging?

Can’t say for sure

But surely
you would look for the common denominators of yearly failure?

The failure of the longtermers, our ‘cultural’ repositories, to lead consistently?

And who are they?

Norman, Vaughan, Hunt, Sims?

A culture of complacency
with occasional intensity only?

(dependent FFS on the attitudinal & ethical void of Norman - at the very heart of our team)

And Anthony, you’ve fallen Hook line & sinker for this fool.

And he’ll do you over

Is burnout
(both mental & physical)
our common theme?

Coach &/or conditioners at fault?

(Geez look at the Panthers & Storm & their energy & mental freedom)

For me Hook’s old school
(is that why someone said he was shafted ?)
power game required 4 hard head bench forwards from the
getgo

That extra 10 minutes? of energy in the reserve tank multiplied over our first 5 games is a percentage calculation?

... that adds up to a more consistent performance?

I see he has 4 forwards benched now for the first time
- but the damage has been done.

The linespeed barometer is there for all to see?

And then, for me, there’s the failure to instill the virtues of the offload
Often a symptom of a coach under siege playing safety first & trying for basics

- rather than encouaging the more expansive & enjoyable pointscoring attack mindset

.... which creates time & space -

& balances & dissipates the energy levels?

Creates time with the ball
in hand,
creates attack opportunities, extends the time between defensive sets.

It’s called possession

moving the ball

& it leads to points

Which we sure lack ATM.

(And FMD I keep trying to ignore that comment by an ex-Bronc who said Hook’s unable to close out tight games)

Did we need wiserselections?
Better games plans, adjustable on the run?

Out with the old,
In with the new?

(which is where we should’ve started the year - if indeed we wanted longer term consistency?)

I like Hook, but has this year’s horse already bolted?

And FMD we’ve been done by the Tigs & the Dogs are at the gates again

We can't get the full picture. We have no idea what happens in the sheds or heads of these players. We can look for patterns, and although it is early days, there are similar patterns to April premiers under the last regime. Is that the power game, is it the mentality of players, is it internal upheaval?? We can only assume but history paints an ugly picture of this club and its personnel...by stGeorge standards anyway.

thebigredv

First Grade
We're currently 6th on the ladder. Whether we deserve to he there will be determined by around 6pm tomorrow.

maybe but I think i'd argue it is next week's game that determines anything about top 6. There are currently 6 decent teams (when the dust settles) in the game and daylight to the next best. A win against the dogs will be great for the 2 points - the ultimate goal is to get as many of those as you can. Should we lose we are back at square one, and suddenly blowtorch will be applied to coach and players, it just will. If we put up a good fight against the storm (form lines don't suggest we will) then we can stand up in the top 6 with conviction.

Dragon David

First Grade
It doesn't take much for good opposition coaches to work out ways of beating us. Following our 4 wins in a row and the more hyped one against the Eels, Nathan Brown, Trent Robinson and Michael McGuire would have studied how we won those games and who were the danger men and put in place the right measures to combat us. If this is the case then Trent Barrett would also be doing the same and therefore, Hook needs to go over those wins again and change things around so that Barrett's game plan against us comes to nought.

Besides this, the players themselves need to play with more attention to detail and (as we say every week) keep mistakes to a minimum, try not to give 6 agains, be on the run with power in attack and have quicker line speed in defence.

All our next matches are crucial if we want to stay in the top 8. The Storm game - forget about it, but the others we have got to fire.

Old Timer

Coach
Funny how early on the expectations were spoon or at best bottom 4.

String a few wins together and oops all of a sudden people talking about top 8, top 6 even top 4 FFS.

So now if we don't achieve that all of a sudden it's doom and gloom but at the start of the season if someone had said we could win 4 in a row including a comprehensive win over a contender for the premiership people would have declared it insanity.

FFS people need to stop putting unrealistic expectations on the team & coach who has a pretty pedestrian roster and just let the coaching staff do their job and get us out of the quagmire we have been in for so long.

It isn't going to happen in a sudden burst of some realisation that it was all Mc Fookknuckle's fault as a coach which is only part of it as the clusterf**k of a roster which Hook has to deal with has been in the making for a very long period of time.

The notion that Bellamy, Robinson or Bennett could get our existing lot to top 4 or top 6 for that matter within this 1st season is just farcical because the roster simply is not good enough or skilful enough and fixing that is what will take time.

Re the game against the Dogs our key players BH, CN, PV, AM, TS, MD all need to play out of their skins and everyone else needs to aim up and play as mistake free as possible.

If we do that we will win and win well but if they don't we will compete with the Dogs for the entire game but at at their low level of competency and then the result could go either way

BLM01

First Grade
Exactly, the recruitment needs to be mighty successful between now and the start of next season so that we have the depth and more crucially the talent to move us to the next tier of teams. That I have a slight sense of foreboding comes with all the activity of big name players and the lack so far for us to land anyone. There is such a thing of being too late to the party and not being proactive. The coach makes a big influence on who signs and it's time for Griffin to rise to the occasion. If we are left with Norman after the entourage of quality that has left us that will do me. Staggs would have been a bold move in the right direction. What are we doing, waiting for JDB outcome? Waiting for the right players to magically appear? Our juniors aren't making any massive leaps right now. Great game plan.
Disagree In the fact that recruitment is not a one year fix
we would be as active in the market as everyone else
It aint easy for lower place clubs to attract anybody without paying overs which we’ve done in the past which kills you down the track
the players you talk about are demanding overs by their managers and for Brisbane to keep Staggs they to would have to pay overs
it’s time to get value for money in depth first then have the money to target the right big name or 2

Give the juniors time to develop under right tutoring
I’m hoping that it is starting to happen now because it certainly wasn’t in the past
Everyone is sick of being patient but unfortunately we’re in the same boat as probably about 10 other clubs at the moment across the board as they to have the same disease
The five clubs above us on the table are the super well run clubs
Right now we are leading the pack for the rest
Buying big names for the sake of it and having not much around them does little to improve you
look at those clubs behind us and some of their recruiting of so-called big names in recent years

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Disagree In the fact that recruitment is not a one year fix
we would be as active in the market as everyone else
It aint easy for lower place clubs to attract anybody without paying overs which we’ve done in the past which kills you down the track
the players you talk about are demanding overs by their managers and for Brisbane to keep Staggs they to would have to pay overs
it’s time to get value for money in depth first then have the money to target the right big name or 2

Give the juniors time to develop under right tutoring
I’m hoping that it is starting to happen now because it certainly wasn’t in the past
Everyone is sick of being patient but unfortunately we’re in the same boat as probably about 10 other clubs at the moment across the board as they to have the same disease
The five clubs above us on the table are the super well run clubs
Right now we are leading the pack for the rest
Buying big names for the sake of it and having not much around them does little to improve you
look at those clubs behind us and some of their recruiting of so-called big names in recent years
Agree; good post!