What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt & Max Feagai

LINESPEED

Juniors

I cannot fathom Hook’s preference ATM for Williame over Max.

There always seems to be one dud selection to irritate.

Kinda like our Oz cricket team ... that’s always carrying a coach’s quirk or out of form favourite.

All I can say to Max is want it like Zac did when he got his first shot.

His energy was amazing & he was all over the field
... just demanding selection with zip, commitment & infectious intent .

I did think perhaps the twins didn’t seem as lean as last year, so maybe there’s a condition issue

Losing the Morris twins has been the second greatest error in the Club’s history

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I cannot fathom Hook’s preference ATM for Williame over Max.

There always seems to be one dud selection to irritate.

Kinda like our Oz cricket team ... that’s always carrying a coach’s quirk or out of form favourite.

All I can say to Max is want it like Zac did when he got his first shot.

His energy was amazing & he was all over the field
... just demanding selection with zip, commitment & infectious intent .

I did think perhaps the twins didn’t seem as lean as last year, so maybe there’s a condition issue

Losing the Morris twins has been the second greatest error in the Club’s history
Haha I can take a stab at the first...

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I know there has been concern expressed in the Forum about the prominence of the Old Boys Club over the past decade. But it was great seeing Jason Nightingale at training today working with the Feagais, Shaun SE and a couple of other youngsters. What a fantastic role model for the boys as the Dragons work to improve their culture.

thebigredv

First Grade
I know there has been concern expressed in the Forum about the prominence of the Old Boys Club over the past decade. But it was great seeing Jason Nightingale at training today working with the Feagais, Shaun SE and a couple of other youngsters. What a fantastic role model for the boys as the Dragons work to improve their culture.

Jason Nightingale is the man. A one club player, consistent and put his body on the line time after time.
More of him around the club please.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I actually think it is essential to keep old boys involved to keep the linage of the club going. They just have to be picked on their merits though and not just given jobs because they are mates with certain people and so forth. It’s still such a shame we couldn’t get the Morris boys back together as they would have been awesome helping the younger brigade come through.

getsmarty

Immortal
feagairc1_7673_202159163024.jpg

DRAGONS

Living the dream: Mat and Max share 'extra special' day
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 10 May 2021, 04:01 PM
Share on social media
It couldn't have worked out much better for Mat Feagai.

An NRL debut alongside twin brother Max and scoring a try directly in front of 50 family and friends at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

The only negative for the 20-year-old Dragons winger in Sunday's 32-12 win over the Bulldogs was a high-ankle sprain that cut his game short by 10 minutes, but he could yet be available for Magic Round.

"Running out together in first grade – that's probably as special as it gets, especially as twins," Mat, on crutches, said post-game.

"You see a lot of brothers, but I think our connection - what we've been through, where we came from - made it extra special."

From a Samoan background but born in New Zealand, the Feagais moved to Leeton, a small town in the Riverina region of NSW, as youngsters and didn't properly play rugby league until age 11.

remote.axd

Match Highlights: Dragons v Bulldogs

Match Highlights: Dragons v Bulldogs

Rugby union had been their preferred sport until that point, but the twins quickly made it their mission to reach the NRL.

Max was the first to crack the top grade in 2020 and recorded his fourth match on Sunday on the opposite flank to Mat.

"It's always a special feeling running out through the tunnel, [but] it was extra special knowing that I was running through that tunnel with my brother there," said Max, who presented Mat's jersey.

He returned the favour after Mat had done the honours before Max's debut against the Knights in round 19 last season.

"I said a few words," Max said. "I know how much it meant to him, how proud everyone is, our family - me especially.

"I know how hard he's worked for, so [I said] enjoy it."

Following in the footsteps of Brett and Josh Morris as twins to play for the Dragons, the Feagais came through the ranks together, including winning the 2019 SG Ball title with Illawarra.

"After I got my [NRL] debut, we just spoke about that as soon as Mathew makes his, I would love to be there on the field rather than watching from the sideline," Max said.

Mat added that it was "tough" to wait to play first grade after his brother but he felt better prepared following another pre-season.

He racked up 138 metres, two line-breaks, a try assist and eight tackle-breaks in an assured performance against Canterbury.

Crossing the stripe in the 51st minute was the highlight.

"It was unreal. I rubbed it in a bit to Max. He's scored four games now and hasn't scored one," Mat said.

"It was pretty cool. Ben Hunt just jumps out, does his thing, throws me a pretty nice ball and I score in the corner.

"And then when all the boys jumped all over me, that felt pretty special. It was right in front of our family as well.

"They were all jumping and screaming too ... [The Dragons] gave us 50 tickets and we used them all."

COVID-19 protocols prevented the twins from hugging their family but they were able to talk over the fence and pose for photos.

As Cody Ramsey (ribs) and Mikaele Ravalawa (suspension) prepare to return on the wings for this week's clash against the Storm at Suncorp Stadium, Mat and Max are facing competition to hold their spots.

remote.axd

Hunt sends Mathew Feagai over

Hunt sends Mathew Feagai over

St George Illawarra, who sit in sixth place, will need to improve to challenge Melbourne after a poor start against Canterbury.

"As bad as we were in the first half, it was really scrappy, we came out in the second half and everyone was firing," Mat said.

"Hook [coach Anthony Griffin] really ripped into us about what to do and I think we did just that. I still think there were a lot of glimpses of good there and we can take a lot out of it against the Storm."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/10/living-the-dream-mat-and-max-share-extra-special-day/

possm

Coach
In my opinion both Feagai boys would not be out of place on the left right now. This would release Bird to play on the edge at 12 and Kerr to move back to the prop rotation:

First Grade
1. Ramsey - give him a few games and let's see how he goes
2. Matt Feagai
3. Max Feagai
4. Lomax (Fui until Lomax returns)
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. McCullough - B Smith for 2022
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. De Belin

Bench
14. Dufty
15. Kerr
16. Faamausili
17. McGuire

Now for me, this looks like a well-balanced side with youth and experience, speed and mongrel. If we could keep this side on the park for most of the rest of the season, we should be in good shape for 2022.

Reserve Grade
1. Sloan
2. Periera
3. Schiller
4. Amone
5. Sauni-Esau
6. Norman - maybe the Dogs will want him
7. Clune
8. Alvaro
9. Wishart
10. Ellis
11. Ford
12. Burns
13. Fui (when Z Lomax returns)

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
In my opinion both Feagai boy would not be out of place on the left right now. This would release Bird to play on the edge at 12 and Kerr to move back to the prop rotation:

First Grade
2. Matt Feagai
3. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. De Belin

Bench
14. Dufty
15. Kerr
16. Faamausili
17. McGuire

Now for me, this looks like a well-balanced side with youth and experience, speed and mongrel. If we could keep this side on the park for most of the rest of the season, we should be in good shape for 2022.

Reserve Grade
1. Sloan
2. Periera
3. Schiller
4. Amone
5. Sauni-Esau
7. Clune
8. Alvaro
9. Wishart
10. Ellis
11. Ford
12. Burns

The Feagais look ready
- as is Bird now for 12

...and I can’t wait to see Schiller get a run
- in what could finally be the year of the Juniors

PS
I still can’t fathom how McFu/ck-a-Junior got a gig in u-19’s

-a grovelling networker par excellence for sure

And I’ll swear he was on the SCG field post-game, newly credentialed & gladhanding players WTF

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
In my opinion both Feagai boy would not be out of place on the left right now. This would release Bird to play on the edge at 12 and Kerr to move back to the prop rotation:

First Grade
2. Matt Feagai
3. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. De Belin

Bench
14. Dufty
15. Kerr
16. Faamausili
17. McGuire

Reserve Grade
1. Sloan
2. Periera
3. Schiller
4. Amone
5. Sauni-Esau
7. Clune
8. Alvaro
9. Wishart
10. Ellis
11. Ford
12. Burns

That 30 offers us a lot of enterprise into the future possm

...at least a consistent top 6 IMO

BTW
We just might pull off an ‘18-style Suncorp ambush this week

... & go on a 5 match blitz.

The Vics are due for a loss.

And our goalline defence is approaching the Bennett years

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

First Grade
2. Matt Feagai
3. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. De Belin

Bench
14. Dufty
15. Kerr
16. Faamausili
17. McGuire

Reserve Grade
1. Sloan
2. Periera
3. Schiller
4. Amone
5. Sauni-Esau
7. Clune
8. Alvaro
9. Wishart
10. Ellis
11. Ford
12. Burns

Possum, with the greatest of respect for your passion, commitment and judgment, your proposed teams never cease to shock me but less so like today's when you don't include elite players under long term contracts at other clubs. The one big shock you have delivered me today is Fui. I think he has been consistently impressive throughout the season. And he was very strong in both attack and defence on Sunday. He looks to me like the forward who can cover the loss of a back that we have been looking for.

A few other observations:
1. What time frame are you working on here? Sullivan - just one game in the first 9 rounds. Surely some time in reserves to recover form after a long lay off? JDB - still unavailable. If things go his way on May 28 would you slot him straight back in?
2. Obviously you were impressed with the Feagais on Sunday. So was I. But assuming Mat is fit to play I would be thinking the selection battle is Mat vs Cody not vs Duft. Cody has "done nothing wrong" but I thought both Feagais ran further and more strongly than Cody has.
3. The move for Bird might well strengthen the back row but he has been very important in adding stability and experience amongst the young backline. Initially I liked the Kerr experiment but he has not impressed recently. Not sure I would give up on converting him or directly swap him with Ford to give him time in reserves to develop his back row skills and work on his handling. Alternatively to Ford continue to give Burns a chance to show his skills. Great involvement in Dufty's 2nd try.
4. Like you, I would like to see Poasa get another run.
5. Despite the recent form slump I think there has been a renewed team commitment this season, evident from the 2nd half vs the Sharks and very clear with the team swarming all over Mat Feagai, Vaughan and Junior when they scored on Sunday. As a result I think change should be kept to a minimum. Not the time for major change such as dropping Fui, replacing Duft with Cody and Norman with Sullivan. While we never again want the Mary era "can't drop a regular" and "never pick a player under 24" a degree of selection stability is important for team morale and cohesion.
6. What an exciting NSW Cup side you have picked. I would travel a long way to see that team in action!

Como Connection

First Grade
Possum, with the greatest of respect for your passion, commitment and judgment, your proposed teams never cease to shock me but less so like today's when you don't include elite players under long term contracts at other clubs. The one big shock you have delivered me today is Fui. I think he has been consistently impressive throughout the season. And he was very strong in both attack and defence on Sunday. He looks to me like the forward who can cover the loss of a back that we have been looking for.

A few other observations:
1. What time frame are you working on here? Sullivan - just one game in the first 9 rounds. Surely some time in reserves to recover form after a long lay off? JDB - still unavailable. If things go his way on May 28 would you slot him straight back in?
2. Obviously you were impressed with the Feagais on Sunday. So was I. But assuming Mat is fit to play I would be thinking the selection battle is Mat vs Cody not vs Duft. Cody has "done nothing wrong" but I thought both Feagais ran further and more strongly than Cody has.
3. The move for Bird might well strengthen the back row but he has been very important in adding stability and experience amongst the young backline. Initially I liked the Kerr experiment but he has not impressed recently. Not sure I would give up on converting him or directly swap him with Ford to give him time in reserves to develop his back row skills and work on his handling. Alternatively to Ford continue to give Burns a chance to show his skills. Great involvement in Dufty's 2nd try.
4. Like you, I would like to see Poasa get another run.
5. Despite the recent form slump I think there has been a renewed team commitment this season, evident from the 2nd half vs the Sharks and very clear with the team swarming all over Mat Feagai, Vaughan and Junior when they scored on Sunday. As a result I think change should be kept to a minimum. Not the time for major change such as dropping Fui, replacing Duft with Cody and Norman with Sullivan. While we never again want the Mary era "can't drop a regular" and "never pick a player under 24" a degree of selection stability is important for team morale and cohesion.
6. What an exciting NSW Cup side you have picked. I would travel a long way to see that team in action!
Fui a must pick in the run onside for the time being, very versatile, damaging player across the park.
I don't get the Ford love and either do the coaches at present.
CC

redv13

Bench
In my opinion both Feagai boys would not be out of place on the left right now. This would release Bird to play on the edge at 12 and Kerr to move back to the prop rotation:

First Grade
2. Matt Feagai
3. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. De Belin

Bench
14. Dufty
15. Kerr
16. Faamausili
17. McGuire

Reserve Grade
1. Sloan
2. Periera
3. Schiller
4. Amone
5. Sauni-Esau
7. Clune
8. Alvaro
9. Wishart
10. Ellis
11. Ford
12. Burns
Fui reserve grade lock?? You’ve lost the plot big time

possm

Coach
I rate Fui very highly as well. I think he has done a great job at right centre while Lomax is out and he also did a good job as lock. I'm not sure where his future position is when JDB comes back and Lomax is back on deck.

Bird is a must on the right edge and Max Feagai would go alright at left centre. For me Dufty is done at fullback and now is the right time to try Ramsey with Matt Feagai on the left wing. I think Dufty would be even more deverstating coming off the bench towards the end of both halves.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I rate Fui very highly as well. I think he has done a great job at right centre while Lomax is out and he also did a good job as lock. I'm not sure where his future position is when JDB comes back and Lomax is back on deck.

Bird is a must on the right edge and Max Feagai would go alright at left centre. For me Dufty is done at fullback and now is the right time to try Ramsey with Matt Feagai on the left wing. I think Dufty would be even more deverstating coming off the bench towards the end of both halves.

I think we needs to be clear on DeBelin. Firstly, I believe he hasnt trained leading up to the trial and during it thats possibly 8+ weeks. He hasnt played a competition game for near on 2 1/2 years, he aint going to waltz into 1st grade without at least 4 or more games in reserves. He also has no experience with the new playing rules. He's also now 30 yrs old. He also may need some down time before being subjected to crowds etc.

And this all assuming a positive result before or on the 28th.

I'll add also that Fui is arguably 8n our top 5 players each week so far this season amd you punt him to reserve grade...seriously!!!

Bird will stay at centre, Rava and Cody will be our wingers, at the very least, Kerr back to the bench and Fui to edge.

possm

Coach
I think we needs to be clear on DeBelin. Firstly, I believe he hasnt trained leading up to the trial and during it thats possibly 8+ weeks. He hasnt played a competition game for near on 2 1/2 years, he aint going to waltz into 1st grade without at least 4 or more games in reserves. He also has no experience with the new playing rules. He's also now 30 yrs old. He also may need some down time before being subjected to crowds etc.

And this all assuming a positive result before or on the 28th.

I'll add also that Fui is arguably 8n our top 5 players each week so far this season amd you punt him to reserve grade...seriously!!!

Bird will stay at centre, Rava and Cody will be our wingers, at the very least, Kerr back to the bench and Fui to edge.
Well, I thought he was training with reserve grade and one of the best in the squad. However, if I were him I'd be training my heart out from today on. He'll be ready believe me.

be55

Juniors
Fui reserve grade lock?? You’ve lost the plot big time

I think he has been terrific this year...he is off contract this year and i hope the club move to re-sign him quickly because I'm sure other clubs will be sniffing around...he can fill numerous positions, he's a very hard ball runner who has a quick play the ball and his defence in the middle is good...Hope they sure him up ASAP...

Latest posts