What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Amone

SnowDragon

Juniors
Q: dragons home page says he is a 5/8 like Sullivan, but they have played together?
Could they together be future halves , or is neither a real halfback?

how do they compare? (I loved Sullivan last year, who is a bit smaller and a year older right?)

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I wonder what our CC halves pairing will be? I would love to see Sullivan/Amone but the smart money is on Clune/Sullivan. From what I’ve heard in the media it wouldn’t shock me to see Amone sneak in ahead of Sullivan which would suck because I’d love to see a full season of him against men.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Q: dragons home page says he is a 5/8 like Sullivan, but they have played together?
Could they together be future halves , or is neither a real halfback?

how do they compare? (I loved Sullivan last year, who is a bit smaller and a year older right?)
Sullivan was 7 Amone was 6, I guess they list Sullivan as 6 because that is where he played in his one game for us. I suspect Hunt has the 7 sewn up and Norman, Clune, Sullivan, Amone and possibly Bird will fight out the 6. We could even have a situation where if Hunt doesn’t fire Norman or Clune will play 7. I can’t see them having Sullivan or Amone running the side from 7 at this stage of their career but hope they get to in CC.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons assistant coach Matthew Elliott reveals major change for Cameron McInness and Ben Hunt for 2021

Liam O'Loughlin
For the majority of last year, Cameron McInnes and Ben Hunt were switched to different positions more often than the St George Illawarra Dragons picked up wins.

Despite spending the majority of his career as a starting hooker, McInnes started eight games at lock forward and switched there a few other times during games.

Hunt was signed to the Red V as a halfback, coming off some strong years at Brisbane, but played eight games at hooker, four games from the bench and another two at five-eighth.

Talk about consistency.

This year however, things look set to change for two of the Dragons biggest stars, with new coach Anthony Griffin shaking things up in Wollongong.

Hunt is tipped to start the year in the No.7 jersey alongside Corey Norman in the halves, while McInnes will be returning to his regular position of dummy-half as the club move in a different position.

Speaking on SEN's Drive With Jimmy And Fletch, new assistant coach Matthew Elliott revealed that McInnes and Hunt had exclusively been training in their regular positions.

“He’s been at hooker Cam," he said.

“Ben (at hooker) – no. I don’t think anyone should be surprised about that either.

"Cam has trained excluvsely at hooker, and I tell you what his development in the position even in a short period of time has gone through the roof.

"I don’t know how well you know Anthony, but he has basically said to all players that there are no assured positions. Touch wood, we have got a really healthy squad.

"There is a lot of competition for spots, and the rear-vision mirror is full for every player."

The captain of the club in McInnes has been in the headlines lately, with the Dragons yet to offer him a deal for 2022 and have also reportedly been in talks with Broncos veteran Andrew McCullough.

This has led to mass speculation that McInnes could leave the club and potentially link up with a Sydney-based rival - however Elliott believes that won't be the case.

“Fortunately, I don’t have to make any of those decisions. I don’t really pay too much attention to that," he said.

"I was unaware there was even any speculation around that. The first I heard about it was an hour ago. He has been training unreal, and it’s the best-kept secret in the organisation if that’s what is going on.

"I don’t see anything other than Cam being at the Dragons for a long time.

“I’m not over that (McCullough reports) as well. Even if that was a reality, personally I don’t believe he would play over Cam to be honest with you."

Elliott had been out of the coaching game for quite some time, but will return alongside Peter Gentle to work with Griffin in an attempt to turn the struggling Dragons around.

The 56-year old spoke openly about his joy being back around coaching, and highlighted some of the younger players in the Dragons outfit who could impress in 2021.

“I go to work every day with a bunch of young people who want to get better – how’s that for a job? You don’t realise how rare that is until you’re not in that environment...it's pretty special," he said.

“My goodness – (Jackson Ford) is a guy that is very committed I must say. You can’t help but be fairly encouraged about his efforts that’s for sure. If the way he trains and his skillset is applied on the park, he is going to be one hell of a player.

“Cody Ramsey is coming for it so hard. He trains the house down. If you ask me who has been the most impressive of the young fellas, Cody Ramsey – even the boys would tell you that – he’d be hard to go around.

"Sully (Jayden Sullivan) is going to be a player of immense talent, there is no doubt about that. You’re going to hear that name in the future.

"And there’s a young guy called Junior Amone – write that name down, because you will be hearing plenty about that name in the future as well."

Ramsey is tipped to earn himself a spot on the wing for round 1, and perhaps even push fullback Matt Dufty for a spot in the Dragons outfit.

Rookie halves Sullivan and Amone won an SG Ball competition together in 2019, and both are destined for big things.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...on-mcinness-and-ben-hunt-for-2021/ar-BB1d9f0R

Dragon David

First Grade
Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan preview SG Ball grand final
Dragons development players Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan are looking to go back-to-back and win their second straight SG Ball grand final this Saturday. Hear from the dynamic duo on their combination and their thoughts on the match.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...and-tyrell-sloan-preview-sg-ball-grand-final/
Good one, thanks getsmarty. Would be fantastic if we get back to back wins in the SG Ball Grand Final. I can see Hook sitting in the stand watching the kids play - so fellas, show him how it's done!

SnowDragon

Juniors
Great to see this kid get a game. Early days but I think he looks to be the real deal, and I love the grin on his face as he sees the line gaps.

in commentary they said that the dragons see him developing into a ball playing back rower? Anyone know anything about this?

denis preston

First Grade
Confident that Hook & Co have these 6 or 7 promising juniors in their plans and finally we can see the pathways program in action. Just hope that Bud can get fit and join them at Normans expense. We are not going to win it this yewar and i would even swap a finals position to get NRL games into these youngsters.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Confident that Hook & Co have these 6 or 7 promising juniors in their plans and finally we can see the pathways program in action. Just hope that Bud can get fit and join them at Normans expense. We are not going to win it this yewar and i would even swap a finals position to get NRL games into these youngsters.
Amone really impressed me, to come straight from SG Ball into First Grade & look so confident. Wow. A much better Mr Fix It in the 17 jersey than Williame in my opinion.

possm

Coach
Amone really impressed me, to come straight from SG Ball into First Grade & look so confident. Wow. A much better Mr Fix It in the 17 jersey than Williame in my opinion.
Norman is blocking the development of both Sullivan and Amone.
Give Norman to the Dogs for the remainder of 2021, they need an experienced head in their halves.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Give Norman to the Dogs for the remainder of 2021, they need an experienced head in their halves.
I think they’d have to offload Flanagan first they signed him for 3yrs on decent coin.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Totally disagree; as you’ve quoted many times .....trust Griffins judgement. I don't think he’d ever let that happen; he’d have greater insight to when when the times right and ensure that his creating the right environment for them to succeed. His previous records points to giving younger players an opportunity; when that moment presents itself sure will act accordingly and there would be no blocks to their development.

Crush

Coach
This is exactly what I don’t want to happen. Why should Norman get another contract anywhere? Yes he’s experienced but all of his experience hasn’t taught him Jack shit. Screw Norman and his career in NRL. He can leave the game altogether and spend his time visiting his rapist friend in prison.

thebigredv

First Grade
This is very true. For all my trust in the coach I don't get loyalty shown to Corey. He is playing ok next to Hunt at the moment at best, but he isn't our future and I need to see one of the young blokes mentioned trialed at 6 before we enter the market for a new play maker.

Maddragon99

Juniors
This is very true. For all my trust in the coach I don't get loyalty shown to Corey. He is playing ok next to Hunt at the moment at best, but he isn't our future and I need to see one of the young blokes mentioned trialed at 6 before we enter the market for a new play maker.
Let’s not forget Sullivan has been basically injured all year so he’s been a non factor. Amone was picked straight from SG Ball last week to debut & he’ll be in the 21 probably from now on, Clune looks to be out of favour. Bird is needed in the centre’s so that only leaves Norman at 6

possm

Coach
Let’s not forget Sullivan has been basically injured all year so he’s been a non factor. Amone was picked straight from SG Ball last week to debut & he’ll be in the 21 probably from now on, Clune looks to be out of favour. Bird is needed in the centre’s so that only leaves Norman at 6
Well I'd consider selecting Amone or Dufty at 6 and Bird at 12. Kerr back into the prop rotation. Fui is doing a great job at right centre while Lomax is injured.

Ramsy, Sloan, Schiller and Stuart could be tested at fullback in reserve grade and first grade. Start with Ramsey and if he is not the one, move through the others. Dufty to the bench or at 6.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well I'd consider selecting Amone or Dufty at 6 and Bird at 12. Kerr back into the prop rotation. Fui is doing a great job at right centre while Lomax is injured.

Ramsy, Sloan, Schiller and Stuart could be tested at fullback in reserve grade and first grade. Start with Ramsey and if he is not the one, move through the others. Dufty to the bench or at 6.
I'd prefer a 6 to be a good kicker in general play just as Soward was and could run like the wind. Dufty can run like the wind but needs lots of training in the kicking department I feel.

Latest posts