What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most hospitalised sport?

the beavers

Juniors
At almost all levels - junior semi pro etc soccer closely followed by netball are the main sports for hospitilisations, fractures and soft tissue injuries
League was about 5th on the last I think
Which is counter to all the mums etc out there reason that soccer is a safer non contact sport etc
Soccer was number 1 both for gross numbers (higher participation) and percentages - a better reflection of risk.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At almost all levels - junior semi pro etc soccer closely followed by netball are the main sports for hospitilisations, fractures and soft tissue injuries
League was about 5th on the last I think
Which is counter to all the mums etc out there reason that soccer is a safer non contact sport etc
Soccer was number 1 both for gross numbers (higher participation) and percentages - a better reflection of risk.

not sure where you are getting your figures from? AIHW report have “rugby” which I presume is both codes combined is by far the highest rates of hospital treat injuries

16-17 Rates per 100k participants
“rugby” 1,181
Afl 777
Soccer 323
Netball 235

https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/1f...cdcfbcf1/aihw-injcat-211.pdf.aspx?inline=true

Billythekid

First Grade
I’m just going to speak from my own experience working in emergency. Rugby/league is definitely up there and I would rate it number 1, mostly head injuries and soft tissue injuries. Netball is a strong contender with ankle/foot injuries. When I worked rurally the bull riding would usually produce a few injuries but nothing like the weekend rugby. I think just because of the sheer number of people involved.

Edit: Soccer is definitely comparable to netball as well. Again the sheer numbers of people playing probably plays a roll.

hrundi99

First Grade
99% of hockey fights are just two blokes hugging until one of them slips over. It's not much different to the hand bags fights you see in league. But I agree though, I'd be betting fighting is heavily fined/penalised until its basically rubbed out of the sport.

You obviously don't watch a lot of hockey...

the beavers

Juniors
Yes same report
I was referring to hospitalisations
Soccer is listed seperatley to “rugby’s” with numbers being almost the same
We get more up to date breakdowns etc at work - soccer is higher for lower limb injury hospitilisations even categegories you may not expect such as wrist fractures- netball second
League was more for head and neck

my point was that the view that soccer is a safer sport is often incorrect